USB vs Toslink

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pski

USB vs Toslink

Is there any reason why one would have a sound quality advantage?

The target is a PS Audio DAC running balanced the rest of the way to the amps.

The Toslink would come from a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express.

Processor should not be an issue (i7 ocho-way.)

Thanks.

P
  • Pat Farrell
    • Apr 2005

USB vs Toslink

On 08/18/2010 12:10 AM, pski wrote:
    > The Toslink would come from a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI
    > Express.

I would not have thought of using a inside the computer sound card, no
    matter what brand, as a source suitable for audiophiles. That is how I
    got started with my very first SlimDevice SB-1 ages ago. PCs are evil
    places with tons of noise, both physical vibrations and strange and
    stray electrical signals.

My rule is do PC stuff in the PC, and do quality audio stuff out in an
    external box. A Touch is a great way to get the signal out of any PC.

--
    Pat Farrell

Pat
    http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• Phil Leigh
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pski
      Is there any reason why one would have a sound quality advantage?

The target is a PS Audio DAC running balanced the rest of the way to the amps.

The Toslink would come from a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express.

Processor should not be an issue (i7 ocho-way.)

Thanks.

P
      THEORETICALLY, the toslink could be better as it is not electrically/galvanically connected so that is one less route for crud from the PC to get into your DAC. It can still go through the air and your mains wiring of course.
      In practice - try them and see.
      You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
      Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
      Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
      Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• iPhone
        • Oct 2007

If you must deal with a PC, Toslink is better IMO and experience. The biggest issue is the OS on the PC. If it is Windows Anything, the sound card output will be contaminated by Windows meddling. When WIndows is involved it might start as Bit Perfect but it is hosed before it even gets to the Sound Card.

Now you folks using Windows OS for SBS don't get nuts on me as this does not apply to using a Squeezebox with SBS. This only applies when using a PC sound card.

My real opinion with that DAC is buy another Squeezebox, preferably the Touch.
        iPhone
        Media Room:
        ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
        Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
        Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
        Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
        Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
        Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
        Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
        Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• probedb
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by iPhone
          If you must deal with a PC, Toslink is better IMO and experience. The biggest issue is the OS on the PC. If it is Windows Anything, the sound card output will be contaminated by Windows meddling. When WIndows is involved it might start as Bit Perfect but it is hosed before it even gets to the Sound Card.

Now you folks using Windows OS for SBS don't get nuts on me as this does not apply to using a Squeezebox with SBS. This only applies when using a PC sound card.

My real opinion with that DAC is buy another Squeezebox, preferably the Touch.
          Actually that's not true, you can stop XP, Vista and 7 from doing anything with your audio. I had bit-perfect playback on XP and again on 7.

There are various plugins for kernel streaming and WASAPI for various audio players on Windows, I suggest you go look at them.
          last.fm

Comment

• pski

Thanks for all the info.

The current setup is either:

1. iTunes to USB to DAC, or

2. SBS to Receiver to toslink to DAC

Both iTunes and the Receiver are volume wide-open. Source is selected on the front-panel of the DAC. Volume is controlled by a passive line controller (GFP-750.) The OS is Win7HP-64.

I am gathering that #2 is favored here?

The third possibility is the X-Fi Extreme toslink out, and since the card supports ASIO, I would assume to enable that to eliminate the "windows" sounds...

P

Comment

• iPhone
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by probedb
              Actually that's not true, you can stop XP, Vista and 7 from doing anything with your audio. I had bit-perfect playback on XP and again on 7.

There are various plugins for kernel streaming and WASAPI for various audio players on Windows, I suggest you go look at them.
              Actually it is true, just the fact that you say it can be stopped proves my point. If the everyday non-computer geek just uses XP, Vista, or Win7, then ones files are messed with if they go to anything inside the PC for music IE especially a sound card (this doesn't apply to FLAC/MP3 files sent to external Squeezeboxes). Are there hacks and kernel disables, there are. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on how well these work. Several audio experts that have looked into it say they still see MicroSuck artifacts.

I guess my main point is why even mess with a sound card inside the interference and RF hell of a PC running Windows when Squeezeboxes are available? The Windows issue/question is just one more reason not to.
              iPhone
              Media Room:
              ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
              Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
              Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
              Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
              Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
              Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
              Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
              Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

Working...