PDA

View Full Version : Last.fm plugin started asking for a subscription

menno
2010-08-17, 09:55
All of a sudden the Last.fm plugin started asking for a subscription, even though I'm in the UK and dont need one. Oddly enough it only asks this via the last.fm plugin on my squeezeboxes. It works fine with Vagalume on my N900 or via the website.

Anyone else notice this?

andyg
2010-08-17, 09:59
Last.fm now requires a paid subscription in order to listen to anything.

menno
2010-08-17, 11:22
Last.fm now requires a paid subscription in order to listen to anything.

But I can listen fine without a subscription from their website, from their app, and from my Nokia N900 Vagalume app?

I would have thought the N900 Vagalume app is similar to the way the Squeezebox app streams Last.fm?

garym
2010-08-17, 11:33
But I can listen fine without a subscription from their website, from their app, and from my Nokia N900 Vagalume app?

I would have thought the N900 Vagalume app is similar to the way the Squeezebox app streams Last.fm?

Hmmm, I just tried (in the US), and I'm listening to last.fm streaming (under myapps). I'm running a TRANSPORTER connected to SbS 7.5.2 (on Windows XP machine). I have no subscription to last.fm.

Steve Bernard, Jr
2010-08-17, 11:39
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, garym
<garym.4fupyn1282070041 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hmmm, I just tried (in the US), and I'm listening to last.fm streaming
> (under myapps). I'm running a TRANSPORTER connected to SbS 7.5.2 (on
> Windows XP machine). I have no subscription to last.fm.
>

I believe the subscription requirement only applies to people outside
of the US, UK, and Germany.

-Steve

garym
2010-08-17, 11:46
All of a sudden the Last.fm plugin started asking for a subscription, even though I'm in the UK and dont need one. Oddly enough it only asks this via the last.fm plugin on my squeezeboxes. It works fine with Vagalume on my N900 or via the website.

Anyone else notice this?

maybe your location has been messed us so that Squeezebox thinks you are outside the UK.

Mnyb
2010-08-17, 15:09
Hmm works here in Sweden with the free account .

But I have my mysb.com account set to UK

arztde
2010-08-17, 20:01
try 2 things to find out: connect your squeezebox direct to mysbc andthan try same via your server. any difference? change settings in mysbc that you connect to a german mysbserver

mherger
2010-08-17, 22:23
> Hmm works here in Sweden with the free account .
> But I have my mysb.com account set to UK

As Andy said Last.fm require us to:

- only allow streaming to subscribers
- only allow streaming to select countries
- enforce country limitation by checking the client's IP address

These limitations have only been implemented on test.mysb.com yet.

--

Michael

menno
2010-08-18, 07:23
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm usually connected to my squeezecenter server, running on my Qnap ts-109. So I tried when connected to mysb.com instead, and then the last.fm app works fine!

So I'm not sure why it complains about a subscription all of a sudden via my server, when it uses the same internet connection as my N900 when at home.

I havent changed anything on my server for some time, so it cant be down to anything I have changed there. I'm running the embedded 7.5.0 - r30424.

So a bit of a mystery.

andyg
2010-08-18, 07:24
I havent changed anything on my server for some time, so it cant be down to anything I have changed there. I'm running the embedded 7.5.0 - r30424.

So a bit of a mystery.

Please don't run embedded 7.5 anymore, please run 7.6 instead.

menno
2010-08-18, 07:49
Please don't run embedded 7.5 anymore, please run 7.6 instead.

Yes that's easy to say, but it took me days to get 7.5 embedded running previously due to Audio::scan incompatibilities with the Qnap arm binaries :)

So I need to find some time before I investigate whether it's easier with 7.6 now and the latest SSOTS beta.

Is there a particular reason you discourage 7.5 embedded use? It's been working fine here.

Cheers,
Menno

andyg
2010-08-18, 08:08
Because it's no longer getting new updates.

menno
2010-09-19, 07:12
I finally worked out the difference, and why this happens. When my 7.5 server retrieves the apps, I can see it is connecting to test.mysqueezebox.com (from the apps it shows).

When I tell my squeezeboxes to connected to mysb then they actually connect to the main mysqueezebox.com.

Is there anyway to force the 7.5 server to connect mysqueezebox.com instead of test.mysqueezebox? The latter does not seem to correctly recognise I'm in the UK for some reason, and gives the last.fm subscription message.

I am unable to upgrade my QNAP to 7.6.

Cheers,
Menno

mherger
2010-09-19, 22:03
> I finally worked out the difference, and why this happens. When my 7.5
> server retrieves the apps, I can see it is connecting to
> test.mysqueezebox.com (from the apps it shows).

Last.fm will soon enforce new rules, which include playback for subscriptions only, no playback outside the countries where you actaully can subscribe. Part of these changes are alread implemented on test.mysb.com. You shouldn't be using it.

> Is there anyway to force the 7.5 server to connect mysqueezebox.com
> instead of test.mysqueezebox?

Lift the enforcement of connecting to test instead of production systems ;-). Shut down SBS, remove the "use_sn_test" line from your server.prefs file and restart.

--

Michael

menno
2010-09-20, 02:10
>
Lift the enforcement of connecting to test instead of production systems ;-). Shut down SBS, remove the "use_sn_test" line from your server.prefs file and restart.

Thanks Michael, that didnt actually work, but knowing the pref name allowed me to figure it out.

7.5 is actually hardcoded to go to test.sn, so the pref setting is ignored. If anyone else needs to do this, go to

Slim/Networking/SqueezeNetwork.pm and comment out or remove the following lines:

# TODO - to be removed before release!
if ( $stype eq 'sn' ) {
$stype = 'test';
}

Bad news for me if last.fm are finally going to require subscriptions for everyone.

Cheers,
Menno

mherger
2010-09-20, 02:25
> 7.5 is actually hardcoded to go to test.sn, so the pref setting is
> ignored. If anyone else needs to do this, go to

No, all current SBS versions point to production system unless you set that pref.

> Code:
> --------------------
> # TODO - to be removed before release!
> if ( $stype eq 'sn' ) {
> $stype = 'test';
> }
>--------------------

Make sure you have a release version, and not some old beta. This code has been removed for release - as the comment says ;-).

--

Michael

menno
2010-09-22, 01:44
>

Make sure you have a release version, and not some old beta. This code has been removed for release - as the comment says ;-).

Ah good point! I forgot I decided to run one of the nightly builds to get the embedded build, and didnt upgrade to the release due to fears of audio::scan incompatibilities. Also I was a bit confused if the later 7.5.1 was the embedded branch or not.

It's a bit of a pain for us Marvell Orion Processor users that Squeezebox does not provide compatible binaries, otherwise it would be simple to just use the Squeezebox ones.

Cheers,
Menno

dennis55
2010-09-22, 02:27
hi Menno,like yourself i was getting a wee bit cheesed off with "audio:scan"
problems when updating SqueezeBoxserver.........

i have now "retired" my Qnap Nas and now have a SheevaPlug running ver 7.6 with no problems.
it's a very simple and inexpensive setup - one plug,4gb sdcard and a 1TB Western Digital Elements usb drive.

the performance of the system/server is amazing!.....Marvell Sheeva 1.2 GHz CPU equipped with 512 MB of FLASH and 512 MB of DRAM.

cheers

dennis

menno
2010-09-26, 09:48
Thanks for the headsup Dennis. I did briefly read up on the Sheevaplug the other week, so great to know the performance with SBS is very good.

That is actually my main gripe with the Qnap, it does struggle a bit sometimes. Although better now with the embedded SBS.

Still, I'm trying to make do with what I have and resist the temptation :)