PDA

View Full Version : how to listen to my music without computer on

tdeim2
2010-08-16, 10:18
So I have a classic squeezebox in my living room next to my stereo. My house is wired so I have it hardwired to my router. My computer is upstairs and my ripped CD collection is on an external hard drive next to the computer. So now if I want to listen to music I have to first go upstairs and turn on the computer and hard drive. Is there another option short of leaving my computer on at all times? Im not the most computer savvy person, but there must be some better way to do this.
Thanks

iPhone
2010-08-16, 10:38
Short answer is NO.

But you have at least two other options. You can buy a Touch and run TinySC on it with a USB drive attached. Or you can build/buy a dedicated Music Server that you leave on all the time. As an example the Vortexbox Appliance (http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/) uses less then 25 Watts and costs about $25 a year (in most places) to leave on 24/7/365.

I am using both to some extend but my dedicated Music Server is always on.

Mnyb
2010-08-16, 10:45
Also, see to it that the the server supports WOL = wake on lan .

Then the machine can be booted by the squeezebox.

When pressing power it will send a WOL packet then, you ingnore the "can't conect.." spiel a while later the server is up and running .

Whether wol works or not depends on motherboard and network card and bios.
How to turn it depends on os .
Google wake on lan .

Note the computer must be wired to the network for it to work

Phil Leigh
2010-08-16, 11:13
If your computer motherboard and network card support Wake-on-Lan you do not need to go upstairs. Just set the computer power saving option to put the computer into standby and then the SB will wake it when you try and use it to listen to music.

iPhone
2010-08-16, 11:39
If your computer motherboard and network card support Wake-on-Lan you do not need to go upstairs. Just set the computer power saving option to put the computer into standby and then the SB will wake it when you try and use it to listen to music.

How much power is really saved with this? The PC is still really on with its 500 to 1000 watt power supply running. Granted its not powering everything as some functions are shut down but isn't it still in the area of a couple hundred watts. A purpose built dedicated server only uses 25 Watts maximum and even less when not playing.

On a main desktop PC, can using WOL get the draw down below 100 Watts?

Phil Leigh
2010-08-16, 11:51
How much power is really saved with this? The PC is still really on with its 500 to 1000 watt power supply running. Granted its not powering everything as some functions are shut down but isn't it still in the area of a couple hundred watts. A purpose built dedicated server only uses 25 Watts maximum and even less when not playing.

On a main desktop PC, can using WOL get the draw down below 100 Watts?

Sure - my PC eats <15 watts in S3 sleep

moley6knipe
2010-08-16, 12:34
You can install VortexBox if you've got an old PC that you no longer need, you don't have to buy their hardware. I resurrected a Dell Core2Duo doing so, works great!

mjm2705
2010-08-16, 14:34
You could of course buy a NAS box.

I've just bought the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with a 1TB drive (and another free 1TB drive on the way thanks to a mail in offer) for 200 !!!!

Squeezebox server pre-installed (although I went through the relative pain of upgrading to the latest version) and despite the fears, performance is fine feeding both my SB3 and my Boom.

ReadyNAS is also waaaaaay better at serving 1080p video to my 2 PS3s via 200 Mbps HomePlugs that my other 'budget' NAS box (WD MyBook World).

So now my ReadyNAS runs away under my study desk relatively quietly all the time with no PC or Mac connected most of the time but happily sttreaning media to my SB's, PS3s etc, I update iTunes via my iMac but can also connect via my 2 PC laptops.

Very easy, pretty cheap !