Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • henrykmho
    • Aug 2010

PC directly connected to to SB3 needs to use internet

Hi, I am a newbie. I just connect my SB3 directly via a cat5 wire to my PC. By setting up the IP in my PC and SB3, it works.

but my problem is, my PC eternet card is now occupied and connected to SB3. i need internet for EAC to rip the CD and get the CD database, can I install a USB wi-fi adapter and use internet and how to set the IP things.
  • plympton
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by henrykmho
    Hi, I am a newbie. I just connect my SB3 directly via a cat5 wire to my PC. By setting up the IP in my PC and SB3, it works.

but my problem is, my PC eternet card is now occupied and connected to SB3. i need internet for EAC to rip the CD and get the CD database, can I install a USB wi-fi adapter and use internet and how to set the IP things.
    Just bridge the PC through the SB3 via wi-fi - all built-in, and free. Nice, eh? I hook a router into my SB to use as a wi-fi extender - works seamlessly.

-Dan

Comment

• Skinny
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by henrykmho

Hello.

I assume you are using Win XP or newer. Yes, you can add a USB wlan adapter and connect to your wireless broadband router. IP settings (manual or DHCP) can be set individually for each network adapter.

Of course, the most common thing to do would be to connect both your PC and the Squeezebox to your router, but you probably have a reason not to do that.

-Skinny
      This sentence says less than a list of audio equipment.

Comment

• henrykmho
        • Aug 2010

PC directly connected to to SB3 needs to use internet

Originally posted by Skinny
        Hello.

I assume you are using Win XP or newer. Yes, you can add a USB wlan adapter and connect to your wireless broadband router. IP settings (manual or DHCP) can be set individually for each network adapter.

Of course, the most common thing to do would be to connect both your PC and the Squeezebox to your router, but you probably have a reason not to do that.

-Skinny
        thank you!
        Let me explain more !
        I have 2 PCs, one in my bedroom and one in my living room. My internet modem and wireless router is located at my bedroom and connect to my bedroom PC;

while my SB3 is located at my living room and connect to my living room PC directly via cat5 cable. Now I have manually set my living room PC IP address to the IP of the SB3 (and vice versa) so the SB3 can retreive data from my PC.

Now I have a USB wlan adapter, i want to plug it into my living room PC so that it can connect wirelessly to my broadband router, but i don't know how to set the IP

Comment

Working...