PDA

View Full Version : What Squeezebox to buy?

Tonto Goldstien
2010-08-14, 12:34
This may be a stupid question, but which one should I get? I'm looking to connect to my home theater, something with no speakers and has digital outputs. I've seen the s/b 3 or slim (same thing?) on amazon, but no mention of it on this forum. On Logitech's website, there is no s/b 3 but there is the touch, does that do the same thing?

Mnyb
2010-08-14, 12:41
This may be a stupid question, but which one should I get? I'm looking to connect to my home theater, something with no speakers and has digital outputs. I've seen the s/b 3 or slim (same thing?) on amazon, but no mention of it on this forum. On Logitech's website, there is no s/b 3 but there is the touch, does that do the same thing?

Sb3 aka SB classic, is the old model replaced by Touch , they do basically the "same thing" but Touch do a lot more most noticable touch screen and cover art in color, less noticeable better sound quality and supports more file-formats natively and supports 24bit 96kHz files.

Look here for an historical overview:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page#Hardware

Browse the wiki :) most q's are answered there.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Category:Beginners_Guide_Pages

Tonto Goldstien
2010-08-14, 12:54
Thanks, that really clears things up for me and I'm just about ready to make a purchase.

Where does the S/B Receiver fit into this? Should I be looking at that instead of the 3 or the touch?

Mnyb
2010-08-14, 13:05
SB3 would be better than the reciever .

receiver needs the Controller to set it up, and usually the controller to act as remote .

If you already got a smart-phone or something similar iPhone ? a controller might be unnecessary .
As there is third party software to do the setup of the reciever, but it's not exactly plug and play :-/
So recievr + controller= the duet (was introduced as a bundle, you where then suposed to get more recievers if you wanted multi room)

However the controller can control all squeezebox models, that's nice of you have more than one of them .

A reciver has no ir sensor no display and no sensible way to set it up, so all other choices are simpler.

SB2 and SB3 are basically the same, don't get SB1 or slimp3 if you shop used stuff they are to limited in what they can do .

The Touch Radio and Boom is the currently produced models .
The Duet controller+reciever bundle is still available on some markets, stand alone receivers scarce .

Imho the Touch has better wifi than both reciever and sb3 .

However SB3 and Boom uses the "old" type of cpu and are very mature, very stable software. Touch is shaping up pretty nice lately, the radio is the most buggy (imho).

If I had to be forced to get only one it has to be the Touch, again imho.

iPhone
2010-08-14, 13:32
Thanks, that really clears things up for me and I'm just about ready to make a purchase.

Where does the S/B Receiver fit into this? Should I be looking at that instead of the 3 or the touch?

All you need is the Touch. Easy setup, easy to use. I don't recommend the Receiver as the first Squeezebox to buy because one really needs the Controller to easily set it up which means buying the Duet (Receiver plus Controller).

Go to Logitech Website (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745) and order a Touch.

eganders
2010-08-14, 16:27
Not withstanding the above messages, I wouldn't count out the Receiver or the Duet (a Duet is a Receiver and Controller sold together). There are certainly plenty of us that own receivers - many purchased together with the Controller (sold as the Duet). Most of us are quite happy with these products. Note that some occasionally confuse the Controller with a remote control device. It's not. The Controller is a full fledged 2-way 802.11 receiver, display and remote device for controlling all of your Squeeze products.

As alluded to above, it is true that the Receiver is more complicated to setup since it has no on screen menu on the Receiver itself, but it certainly can be done. As pointed out above, you can control all your Squeeze products with the Controller (if you purchase a Duet or buy it separately). Alternatively you can also control all of your Squeeze Products via a computer if you're using SqueezeCenter (which runs on a computer) or via software that will run on your iPhone or Android device (you would purchase separately, but they're only $10 or less). Also note that you can have a number of these devices all working together in harmony with each other.

And while the iPhone and Android plugins are very cool and highly recommended, an advantage of the controller, since it's a complete receiver in a handheld device, is that you can plug headphones directly to it and listen away.

So bottom line, you have a lot of options. Pick the one that works best for your situation.

erland
2010-08-14, 22:43

Depends on if you want a central display in the room that shows what's playing, in that case the Receiver is not an option.

IMHO, getting the Duet package(Controller+Receiver) just to get the graphical Controller remote isn't worth it. It's better to get an Apple iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad and one of the applications if you want a graphical remote control, the only advantage with the Controller is that it might be a bit easier to control with a single hand. If you already have an Android based phone that's is also an option if you like a graphical remote.

I've had a SB3(Classic) earlier in my living room and now I've replaced it with a Touch, I would never want to change back. The main advantage with the Touch in my setup is the color display.

bwaldron
2010-08-16, 09:49
I've had a SB3(Classic) earlier in my living room and now I've replaced it with a Touch, I would never want to change back. The main advantage with the Touch in my setup is the color display.

It's the main disadvantage in my living room setup -- based upon distance from SB to main seating position, the text on the Touch is too small to comfortably navigate and a small album art display doesn't add much from that far. A SB Classic remains there.

In my smaller office, the Touch does great; preferable to the Classic.

maggior
2010-08-16, 10:13

I've been tempted to do this myself with our SB3 in our family room, especially when the coupon code from Logitech was out. Aside from having the touch screen interface, the Touch just a more updated looking piece of equipment.

moley6knipe
2010-08-16, 12:38
I suspect that the Touch will prove to be more future proof in Logitech's world than an SB3 - it'll likely see more development work and enhancements than the SB3.

Squeezeboxes really are worth pairing with some sort of handheld touch interface: iPeng on iPhone/iPod touch is my fave, but there are also good Android OS based applications too. Don't know as I'd buy a controller when e.g. an iPod touch can do more than just control a Squeezebox!