PDA

View Full Version : Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.



jnoseworthy
2010-08-14, 06:47
Hi Folks:

As a Blind Boom owner, I am trying to find a way to use my Boom with better accessibility.

In that light, I have a couple of questions:

1. Am I right when saying that when using a universal remote control, the number of presets can be increased from 6 to 10? If so, how does one program 7 through 10?

2. Can favourites be chosen via specific number by using the number buttons on the remote's keypad? If so, how so?

Thanks all over the place gang.


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5366 (20100814) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

peterw
2010-08-14, 07:34
Do you use MySqueezebox.com or Squeezebox Server? I would generally recommend Squeezebox Server to you for two reasons. One, Logitech has been reworking presets & favorites in the last few releases, and users of MySqueezebox.com could simply find their Booms behaving differently after changes to MySqueezebox.com. Two, you could use my KidsPlay plugin with a universal remote to gain even more relatively easily customized buttons, for instance mapping the JVC DVD play button to turn Boom on, set the volume, start a playlist, and engage the sleep timer. KidsPlay uses the web UI and Javascript for configuration, and might not play well with screen readers, but you might find it worthwhile.

pippin
2010-08-14, 08:18
Hi Folks:

As a Blind Boom owner, I am trying to find a way to use my Boom with better accessibility.

In that light, I have a couple of questions:

1. Am I right when saying that when using a universal remote control, the number of presets can be increased from 6 to 10? If so, how does one program 7 through 10?

2. Can favourites be chosen via specific number by using the number buttons on the remote's keypad? If so, how so?

Thanks all over the place gang.


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5366 (20100814) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

If you happen to have a new iPhone (from 3GS) or iPod touch (from third generation), have a look at iPeng, it now fully supports VoiceOver control on these devices.

jnoseworthy
2010-08-14, 09:48
Hello:

Thanks much for your input. It's appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------
From: "peterw" <peterw.4fouxz1281796562 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:34 AM
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.

>
> Do you use MySqueezebox.com or Squeezebox Server? I would generally
> recommend Squeezebox Server to you for two reasons. One, Logitech has
> been reworking presets & favorites in the last few releases, and users
> of MySqueezebox.com could simply find their Booms behaving differently
> after changes to MySqueezebox.com. Two, you could use my KidsPlay
> plugin with a universal remote to gain even more relatively easily
> customized buttons, for instance mapping the JVC DVD play button to
> turn Boom on, set the volume, start a playlist, and engage the sleep
> timer. KidsPlay uses the web UI and Javascript for configuration, and
> might not play well with screen readers, but you might find it
> worthwhile.
>
>
> --
> peterw
>
> http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
> Free plugins: 'AllQuiet'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AllQuiet.html) 'Auto Dim/AutoDisplay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AutoDisplay.html) 'BlankSaver'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/BlankSaver.html) 'ContextMenu'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/ContextMenu.html) 'DenonSerial'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/DenonSerial.html)
> 'FuzzyTime' (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/FuzzyTime.html) 'KidsPlay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KidsPlay.html) 'KitchenTimer'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KitchenTimer.html) 'PlayLog'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PlayLog.html)
> 'PowerCenter/BottleRocket'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PowerCenter.html) 'SaverSwitcher'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SaverSwitcher.html)
> 'SettingsManager'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SettingsManager.html) 'SleepFade'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SleepFade.html) 'StatusFirst'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/StatusFirst.html) 'SyncOptions'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SyncOptions.html) 'VolumeLock'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/VolumeLock.html)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> peterw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2107
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

Mark Miksis
2010-08-14, 10:33
As a Blind Boom owner, I am trying to find a way to use my Boom with better accessibility.

Hi Jim,

You might want to take a few minutes to explain some of the changes that would make the Squeezebox products more accessible for a blind user. There might be a plugin developer out there with some free time looking for a project.

jnoseworthy
2010-08-14, 16:11
Hello to Mark and all:

As I write this email, I am using a screen reading program which provides
voice feedback for both keyboard input as well as screen output. This
technology is available on the pc, Apple computers (including their iPod
family of products), Simbian smart phones, ETC. Consequently, though not
without its difficulties, managing the SqueezeBox Boom via the computer's
interface is relatively simple. Relatively simple, that is, after the
network configuration has been created with sighted assistance. So, to begin
with, if there was a way to connect the Boom to a computer via a wired
network, as one can connect to a router, enabling the Boom's network
configuration to be managed via the pc, it would be a great start to making
the Boom more accessible.

Once the unit can be access by the PC, As it stands, the only way for a
Blind Boom owner to play what one wants, when one wants it, is to populate
the presets and favorites. Consequently, we pretty well have to restrict the
player's menu to 1 item: "favorites."

If there was:
1. a way to expand the number of presets using a universal remote control,
and
2. a way to better manage favorites via the universal remote's number
keyboard, it would help a great deal.

Other than those things, I'm not sure just where to go other than to say
that, any audio queues that could be assigned to specific functions of the
Boom would be greatly appreciated. of course, in a perfect world, voice
readouts of the Boom's front panel would be exactly what we need.

Thanks for listening.






--------------------------------------------------
From: "Mark Miksis"
<Mark.Miksis.4fp36n1281807242 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:33 PM
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.

>
> jnoseworthy;569068 Wrote:
>> As a Blind Boom owner, I am trying to find a way to use my Boom with
>> better accessibility.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> You might want to take a few minutes to explain some of the changes
> that would make the Squeezebox products more accessible for a blind
> user. There might be a plugin developer out there with some free time
> looking for a project.
>
>
> --
> Mark Miksis
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Miksis's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=529
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

pippin
2010-08-14, 16:21
Once the unit can be access by the PC, As it stands, the only way for a
Blind Boom owner to play what one wants, when one wants it, is to populate
the presets and favorites. Consequently, we pretty well have to restrict the
player's menu to 1 item: "favorites."

...

Other than those things, I'm not sure just where to go other than to say
that, any audio queues that could be assigned to specific functions of the
Boom would be greatly appreciated. of course, in a perfect world, voice
readouts of the Boom's front panel would be exactly what we need.

As said before: If you use a new generation iPod touch you can get similar access as through the PC with iPeng on the iPod touch.
You will have full access to the functionality through "VoiceOver" which is Apple's implementation of a screen reader combined with a modified user interface for the iPod/iPhone's touch screen.

This doesn't give you just access to a few favorites or presets but to the full functionality.

I tested this with several blind users and the results seem to be quite promising.

toby10
2010-08-14, 16:42
Another option is to use the Touch IR remote, or any universal IR remote that has a "learn" function and/or the SB3 or Touch IR codes.
Doing so gives you numeric recall of all of your stored Favorites.
I've tried this up through three digits (122 Favorites) and it works fine. ;)

Scroll to Favorites, arrow RIGHT (or push big Knob), type in 68 (Favorite # 68), press Play

Even a universal IR remote with JVC_DVD codes will work. This may require connecting the Boom to a SBS version on your computer to activate recognizing JVC_DVD IR input.
I don't think this can be activated from MySquuezeBox.com or the Boom itself

jnoseworthy
2010-08-14, 17:21
Hello:

The problem is, in that scenario, the remote costs more than the Boom.

Thanks.


--------------------------------------------------
From: "pippin" <pippin.4fpjan1281828122 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 8:21 PM
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.

>
> jnoseworthy;569179 Wrote:
>>
>> Once the unit can be access by the PC, As it stands, the only way for a
>>
>> Blind Boom owner to play what one wants, when one wants it, is to
>> populate
>> the presets and favorites. Consequently, we pretty well have to
>> restrict the
>> player's menu to 1 item: "favorites."
>>
>> ...
>>
>> Other than those things, I'm not sure just where to go other than to
>> say
>> that, any audio queues that could be assigned to specific functions of
>> the
>> Boom would be greatly appreciated. of course, in a perfect world,
>> voice
>> readouts of the Boom's front panel would be exactly what we need.
>>
> As said before: If you use a new generation iPod touch you can get
> similar access as through the PC with iPeng on the iPod touch.
> You will have full access to the functionality through "VoiceOver"
> which is Apple's implementation of a screen reader combined with a
> modified user interface for the iPod/iPhone's touch screen.
>
> I tested this with several blind users and the results seem to be quite
> promising.
>
>
> --
> pippin
>
> ---
> see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, at penguinlovesmusic.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pippin's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=13777
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

pippin
2010-08-14, 17:29
The problem is, in that scenario, the remote costs more than the Boom.


yes, that's unfortunately true.

peterw
2010-08-14, 18:08
in a perfect world, voice
readouts of the Boom's front panel would be exactly what we need.

Have you tried using Squeezeplay Desktop with a screen reader? It won't mirror the Boom display, but will give you full control, and might be easier on the screen reader than the two-frame web control layout.

It should also be not too difficult to write a simple desktop app to display the text that's on the Boom display, but I'd try Squeezeplay first.

jnoseworthy
2010-08-15, 03:22
Hi:

Thanks for your suggestion. We can, indeed, operate the Boom from a PC but
in that case, we might just as well use our PC for retreval and playback
through our audio systems.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.



--------------------------------------------------
From: "peterw" <peterw.4fpoan1281834602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:08 PM
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.

>
> jnoseworthy;569179 Wrote:
>> in a perfect world, voice
>> readouts of the Boom's front panel would be exactly what we need.
>
> Have you tried using Squeezeplay Desktop with a screen reader? It won't
> mirror the Boom display, but will give you full control, and might be
> easier on the screen reader than the two-frame web control layout.
>
> It should also be not too difficult to write a simple desktop app to
> display the text that's on the Boom display, but I'd try Squeezeplay
> first.
>
>
> --
> peterw
>
> http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
> Free plugins: 'AllQuiet'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AllQuiet.html) 'Auto Dim/AutoDisplay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AutoDisplay.html) 'BlankSaver'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/BlankSaver.html) 'ContextMenu'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/ContextMenu.html) 'DenonSerial'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/DenonSerial.html)
> 'FuzzyTime' (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/FuzzyTime.html) 'KidsPlay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KidsPlay.html) 'KitchenTimer'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KitchenTimer.html) 'PlayLog'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PlayLog.html)
> 'PowerCenter/BottleRocket'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PowerCenter.html) 'SaverSwitcher'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SaverSwitcher.html)
> 'SettingsManager'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SettingsManager.html) 'SleepFade'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SleepFade.html) 'StatusFirst'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/StatusFirst.html) 'SyncOptions'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SyncOptions.html) 'VolumeLock'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/VolumeLock.html)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> peterw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2107
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

toby10
2010-08-15, 04:29
.....We can, indeed, operate the Boom from a PC but in that case, we might just as well use our PC for retreval and playback through our audio systems.....


...
The problem is, in that scenario, the remote costs more than the Boom.....


And that's why I'm suggesting a universal or programmable IR remote that you may already be familiar with in it's button layout.

Or, if you don't already use such a universal IR remote, you can buy them for as little as $3 at discount/closeout stores and use the JVC_DVD codes.
I've seen a very simple RCA universal IR remote at such stores with a very basic button layout. Minimal buttons and well spaced apart. ;)

I use my Yamaha receivers programmable/learning remote for all of my audio/video gear that has IR input, including the SB3 used with the Yamaha.

peterw
2010-08-15, 07:42
If by "voice readouts" you mean Boom itself speaking its menus, I don't think that's feasible -- the server would have to combine the audio and voiceover sound, and with the buffered audio model, that's probably a non-starter. Touch is probably best suited to voice support -- more memory, an SD slot that could be used to store pre-recorded text, a fairly sophisticated audio mixing model, etc. Radio might be able to do the same, but that might be a stretch.

jnoseworthy
2010-08-15, 09:31
Hi:

Yes, that's right: I was pretty sure that the Boom itself could not provide
voice readout. If we could solve the network configuration problem, that
would be a great start. By the way: is it correct to say that, if one uses
a universal remote control, that one can access 10 presets instead of 6?

Thanks gang.


--------------------------------------------------
From: "peterw" <peterw.4fqpzb1281883442 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:42 AM
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.

>
> If by "voice readouts" you mean Boom itself speaking its menus, I don't
> think that's feasible -- the server would have to combine the audio and
> voiceover sound, and with the buffered audio model, that's probably a
> non-starter. Touch is probably best suited to voice support -- more
> memory, an SD slot that could be used to store pre-recorded text, a
> fairly sophisticated audio mixing model, etc. Radio might be able to
> do the same, but that might be a stretch.
>
>
> --
> peterw
>
> http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
> Free plugins: 'AllQuiet'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AllQuiet.html) 'Auto Dim/AutoDisplay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/AutoDisplay.html) 'BlankSaver'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/BlankSaver.html) 'ContextMenu'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/ContextMenu.html) 'DenonSerial'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/DenonSerial.html)
> 'FuzzyTime' (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/FuzzyTime.html) 'KidsPlay'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KidsPlay.html) 'KitchenTimer'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/KitchenTimer.html) 'PlayLog'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PlayLog.html)
> 'PowerCenter/BottleRocket'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/PowerCenter.html) 'SaverSwitcher'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SaverSwitcher.html)
> 'SettingsManager'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SettingsManager.html) 'SleepFade'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SleepFade.html) 'StatusFirst'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/StatusFirst.html) 'SyncOptions'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SyncOptions.html) 'VolumeLock'
> (http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/VolumeLock.html)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> peterw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2107
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

toby10
2010-08-16, 04:55
Yes, Ten Presets if you have a remote with numeric buttons.

jnoseworthy
2010-08-16, 05:59
Toby:

How does one program buttons 7-10?

Thanks.


----- Original Message -----
From: "toby10" <toby10.4fscvb1281959762 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <boom (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: [SlimDevices: Boom] Universal Remote Controls and the Boom.


>
> Yes, Ten Presets if you have a remote with numeric buttons.
>
>
> --
> toby10
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> toby10's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12553
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81202
>
>

toby10
2010-08-16, 12:03
Toby:

How does one program buttons 7-10?



From the Boom's Now Playing screen simply press & hold the desired 0-9 number you wish to assign that item too.
The Boom's screen will confirm that the item has been assigned to Preset #x.