PDA

View Full Version : Album art and multiple albums are going to drive me insane

SBURKE
2010-08-13, 10:38
I recently moved my entire music library from one location to another, mainly because it had gotten quite large (around 60,000 tracks), and I wanted it in one place, on a new, larger external drive. So everything is now on that drive. I changed the location of the library, and cleared and rescanned, but now something like 90% of the albums have lost their album art, and many exist in duplicate (one with art, and one without). This is quite annoying. Everything was pretty groovy before, and I know the folders and tracks, even in the new location, still actually have all the art, as I can see it on Media Monkey, which is my primary library manager. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? Is there a specific command to locate album art? Thanks all.

garym
2010-08-13, 13:32
I recently moved my entire music library from one location to another, mainly because it had gotten quite large (around 60,000 tracks), and I wanted it in one place, on a new, larger external drive. So everything is now on that drive. I changed the location of the library, and cleared and rescanned, but now something like 90% of the albums have lost their album art, and many exist in duplicate (one with art, and one without). This is quite annoying. Everything was pretty groovy before, and I know the folders and tracks, even in the new location, still actually have all the art, as I can see it on Media Monkey, which is my primary library manager. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? Is there a specific command to locate album art? Thanks all.

1. Is your art embedded or in a jpg file within each album folder?
2. What type of files (FLAC, mp3, ???)
3. What version of SbS are you running and which OS?
4. Did you try a "clear cache" and then do a complete clear and rescan?
5. Before moving to the new drive did all your files have correct art on SbS?

SBURKE
2010-08-14, 04:06
1. Is your art embedded or in a jpg file within each album folder?
2. What type of files (FLAC, mp3, ???)
3. What version of SbS are you running and which OS?
4. Did you try a "clear cache" and then do a complete clear and rescan?
5. Before moving to the new drive did all your files have correct art on SbS?

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. To answer:

1. In most it should be both, that is, part of the FLAC tags AND in a .jpg within the album folder. In some cases though it's just embedded in the tags.
2. FLAC.
3. Windows 7, and the latest SbS, as far as I know (it says no update is available).
4. No -- this might be a good idea. Not sure where that command is -- how does one "clear cache"?
5. I have some albums that do not have art, but as best I could tell, anything that had art, showed art on the Squeezebox, before I moved it. It occurred to me moving the files might have had some effect, but it should not have. The old locations and the new locations are perfectly "synced."

Now, I've cleared the library and rescanned two more times since posting (and I did it twice before posting, so that makes about four times), and for whatever reason things are getting better. Maybe 60% or so of the album art appears.

This multiple album thing though persists, and it's really weird. It looks now as if there are in some cases (e.g. Arcade Fire, "The Suburbs") two albums, one with art, and one without, each with all the tracks.

Phil Leigh
2010-08-14, 04:30
Clear the cache from the system tray applet - on the Advanced tab...

garym
2010-08-14, 05:14
Clear the cache from the system tray applet - on the Advanced tab...

Yep, you need to clear the cache, then do a clear and rescasn of your library (yet again) before moving forward to see what's not working.

As Phil notes, in your system tray, right click the SbS icon, select squeezebox control panel, click on the advance tab, then check the box next to "clean cache folder including music database" then select "run cleanup". After this is complete, do the normal clear and rescan of your library.

SBURKE
2010-08-16, 06:34
Thanks guys, I will try this as soon as I get back (was away this weekend without access to my setup).

SBURKE
2010-08-16, 09:07
Quick question: How do I know when the cleanup run is done? There doesn't seem to be an indication of its progress or completion. Thanks, SB

garym
2010-08-16, 09:21
I noticed that. I suspect it is almost instant as all it is doing is deleting a few files from the Cache

SBURKE
2010-08-16, 14:00
This seems to have resolved the problem, or almost all of it. Very much appreciative of the help, guys.

garym
2010-08-16, 14:01
This seems to have resolved the problem, or almost all of it. Very much appreciative of the help, guys.

perfect!