PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 1

JonWill
2010-08-13, 01:17
I am considering adding an SB12 to my fast growing family of players to go in the children's room. I'm just wondering if there are any issues to be aware of ... I know that it is only capable of WEP encryption, which shouldn't be an issue. Will it play FLAC files from my SBS on a NAS set up? Aything else I should be aware of?

Jon

SuperQ
2010-08-13, 05:34
Hrm, I thought it was on the wiki here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

but it seems like the list of native formats is missing.

As far as I know, the SB1 only supports MP3 and WAV as native formats so FLAC will have to be transcoded. This might be an issue if you want to stream via wifi. Over ethernet it should not be a problem

Soulkeeper
2010-08-13, 05:38
With bitrate limiting you could set up Squeezebox Server to transcode FLAC to 320 kbps MP3 on the fly. Unless your children are audiophiles, of course...

pfarrell
2010-08-13, 05:38
On 08/13/2010 04:17 AM, JonWill wrote:
>
> I am considering adding an SB12 to my fast growing family of players to
> go in the children's room. I'm just wondering if there are any issues
> to be aware of ... I know that it is only capable of WEP encryption,
> which shouldn't be an issue. Will it play FLAC files from my SBS on a
> NAS set up? Aything else I should be aware of?

If I remember right, The SB1 does not handle native flac files. It
handles PCM/Wave and MP3 natively, but flac files are decompressed on
the server and sent as PCM. This uses up at least twice as much
bandwidth, which was a severe problem for me using WiFi.

The SB1 has a buffer, but its too small, the later versions (all of
them) have at least twice the buffer size.

The combination of sending twice as much data and having only one half
the buffer makes sending flac files over wifi problematic.

The SB1 can not talk to MySqeezeBox.com, etc. Its too "slim"

From a practical point of view, the SB-1, and SB-1g are too limited to
be used in modern systems.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JonWill
2010-08-13, 05:39
With bitrate limiting you could set up Squeezebox Server to transcode FLAC to 320 kbps MP3 on the fly. Unless your children are audiophiles, of course...

Can I do that just for the SB1?

They're not audiophiles yet, but I'm working on it ...

JonWill
2010-08-13, 05:42
I've just sp;otted that LAME needs to be installed on the server for transcoding. As I am using an NAS I believe that is problematic. Tha, commbines with pfarrell's post, means I think I'll have to avoid this :(

Thanks all,

Jon

JonWill
2010-08-13, 05:43
But I should be OK with an SB 2, right?

J

Soulkeeper
2010-08-13, 06:29
Yes, a NAS could have problems decoding FLAC + encoding MP3 fast enough.

It seems like (http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/405764/review/squeezebox2.html) the SB2 supports FLAC natively.

funkstar
2010-08-13, 07:15
Not seems like, the SB2 internals are basically exactly the same as the SB3/Classic. The only difference is the connector arrangement and how the screen is connected to fit the upright case and the wireless antennas. The important hardware is the same.

The SB1 is also a 'B' only device so this will slow down the wireless network for other traffic as well.

Which NAS are you using? Some of them are capable of having LAME added for transcoding.

Otherwise you could wire up a SB1 and just decode the FLACs to PCM, a NAS should cope with this well enough.

bwaldron
2010-08-13, 14:25
In addition to the differences already noted, the SB1 also doesn't do gapless mp3 playback, I don't believe (mine has been sitting in a closet for some time, I may be misremembering what I gained moving to the SB2).

andyg
2010-08-13, 14:37
Correct. You really should avoid SB1 if you can.

JonWill
2010-08-13, 15:00
Correct. You really should avoid SB1 if you can.

Thanks ... Will avoid ...

JJZolx
2010-08-13, 15:25
IMO the biggest reason to avoid the SB1 is the buffer size that someone else mentioned. Dropouts using wifi are much more common with the SB1 than the SB2 and later models.

The SB2 is nearly identical to the SB3/Classic except for its housing. One clear _advantage_ of the SB2 is the external antenna, which gives it better wifi reception than the SB3.