PDA

View Full Version : Syncing Touch with Receiver means no 24-96 playing?

united59
2010-08-12, 06:45
Hi, I'm wondering if any of you experts here can give me an answer on the following matter:

Today I have two Receivers and one Boom, as a standard they are all fully syncronized. Now I'm buying a SB Touch as a addition, one of the reasons for this is that I want to play hirez-files.

But will the SBServer convert my 24-96/24-192 files to 24-48 on the Touch if I sync this device with my other Squeezeboxes? (Like SOX do today for the Receivers/Boom?).

Thanks.

Mick Seymour
2010-08-12, 08:19
That's a good question and I'd like to know for when I buy a touch to compliment my Classic and Boom.

I'm hoping the touch will be handed the original 96/24 whilst sox converts to 48/24 for the other SBs and they all stay in sync.

andyg
2010-08-12, 08:23
This will work only if you run an external SBS that has the horsepower to downsample.

Mick Seymour
2010-08-12, 08:28
Cool. My linux server should handle it very well then. It already downconverts 96/24 to the other SBs without a hitch.

united59
2010-08-12, 08:31
Thanks for the reply, Andy.

With a mediumfast (2,+GHZ), double-core desktop server, 4 gig RAM, Raid0-setup, I should be okay?

Is there any specific settings I have to apply?

My Touch will be delivered tonight, and I'm pretty excited about this.

andyg
2010-08-12, 08:50
Yeah you should be fine.

iPhone
2010-08-12, 09:03
Maybe I am reading this wrong or reading into it. IIRC when players are sync'd there is only one stream. Example, if three Touch units are sync'd with a 24/96 then they all get 24/96. But if I have a Transporter or Touch, a Boom, and an SB3 all sync'd and my SBS server is powerful enough to do SOX while playing a 24/96 tune, since it is one stream, all three players including the TP/Touch get 24/48. It is my understanding that there is no selectivity or multiple streams.

That is the question the OP is asking, correct?

Yes you can play your Hi-Res files, but if you Sync older players, all files will be down sampled to 24/48 even for 24/96 capable players.

I do like the addition of SOX to SBS as I no longer have to maintain a separate library with 24/96 files for my Transporter and can Sync players without the dreaded 'Format Error' message if
I put 24/96 files in the playlist.

Mick Seymour
2010-08-12, 09:26
Maybe I am reading this wrong or reading into it. IIRC when players are sync'd there is only one stream. Example, if three Touch units are sync'd with a 24/96 then they all get 24/96. But if I have a Transporter or Touch, a Boom, and an SB3 all sync'd and my SBS server is powerful enough to do SOX while playing a 24/96 tune, since it is one stream, all three players including the TP/Touch get 24/48. It is my understanding that there is no selectivity or multiple streams.

Yes you can play your Hi-Res files, but if you Sync older players, all files will be down sampled to 24/48 even for 24/96 capable players.

There you go. You've got me all worried again now.

Mnyb
2010-08-12, 09:29

I do like the addition of SOX to SBS as I no longer have to maintain a separate library with 24/96 files for my Transporter and can Sync players without the dreaded 'Format Error' message if
I put 24/96 files in the playlist.

Yup all players get the downsampled stream 24/48 A decent tradeoff, syncing streams with different formats would be hard it think, when i'm syncing I do not do critical listening as I'm often moving around cooking or doing something else.

united59
2010-08-12, 09:40
OK, iPhone & Mnyb, your replies was what I somewhat feared. But good to know.

AndyG must have misunderstood my writing (don't blame him, English language is not my strongest act).

My new Touch has just arrived, time to unwrap it. And play some files unsynced.

Phil Leigh
2010-08-12, 10:02
OK, iPhone & Mnyb, your replies was what I somewhat feared. But good to know.

AndyG must have misunderstood my writing (don't blame him, English language is not my strongest act).

My new Touch has just arrived, time to unwrap it. And play some files unsynced.

Don't worry. I've yet to meet anyone who can reliably tell the difference between a 24/48 downsample from a 24/96 file.

iPhone
2010-08-12, 10:18
Don't worry. I've yet to meet anyone who can reliably tell the difference between a 24/48 downsample from a 24/96 file.

Especially when the same song is coming in from two other rooms! ;=}

Sorry United and Mick, but that was what I thought you were asking and I wanted to be clear that Syncing is a single stream so that stream is ALWAYS in the format that is compatible with the least complicated player being Sync'd.

united59
2010-08-12, 12:38
Thanks, everyone for the clarification.

Anyway, my brand new Touch sounds beautifully, just now playing some Patricia Barber MFSL 24-96 (unsync'd, hehe).

Yeah, I know I would struggle hard to hear the difference with the downsampled 24-48s, but still there is this "feelgood factor" (or placebo).

I can live happily with this situation, now with a Touch, 2 Receivers and one Boom in the apartment. Good sound even in the bathroom (boom).