PDA

View Full Version : Is a a real Squeezebox client for Android on the works?

mkanet
2010-08-10, 04:48
I'm not sure if this is too much to ask (or if it's been requested before); but, all I want is a real client to comfortably playback my squeezebox channels the same way Squeezeplay and Softsqueeze do on PC and linux based clients. I already know there's a pretty clunky way of using Squeeze Commander along with manually tuning into the squeezebox stream. Unfortunately, that's not even close to being a feasible solution.

I dont know enough about java to comprehend the difficulties. But, isn't it as "relatively" simple as loading the latest Softsqueeze java code (which works very nicely IMO) and recompile it for Android's flavor of Java... only making minor compatibility changes for the audio playback device on Android? Perhaps, it's nowhere near that simple and could require a complete rewrite of the code from scratch; hence would explain why it appears nobody capable of doing this, taking on this task; even with money from Google Market customers as an incentive. I would gladly pay even $29 for a fully featured client.

This is the only way I know how to have only one trouble-free app on the Android that can play Sirius Radio (with no lame limits), Pandora, Slacker, Napster, and all my music collect in just one self-contained interface.

Sorry if this request has been brought up before in a dedicated thread; but, haven't seen it.

-M

flattermann
2010-08-10, 05:03
I'm not sure if this is too much to ask (or if it's been requested before); but, all I want is a real client to comfortably playback my squeezebox channels the same way Squeezeplay and Softsqueeze do on PC and linux based clients. I already know there's a pretty clunky way of using Squeeze Commander along with manually tuning into the squeezebox stream. Unfortunately, that's not even close to being a feasible solution.

Well, the native playback feature is still on my TODO list, but it's really not as easy as it seems.

I'll probably first implement a stream.mp3 based solution in SqueezeCommander. It should be transparent for the user (i.e. it can be started/stopped directly in SqueezeCommander and avoid some of the well known problems with an external streaming app (like high latency)).

But this solution will still inherit some problems of stream.mp3, namely that you need a SBS server with a good CPU and that it will not work on MySB. :-/

Implementing a "real" player (i.e. implementing the complete SlimProto protocol) is a tough task - ask pippin from iPeng. ;-)
Anyway, this is my preferred long-term solution (because it will allow things like MySB access (if Logitech will allow it), syncronisation and so on) but that will definitely still take some more months... :-/

Sorry.

I dont know enough about java to comprehend the difficulties. But, isn't it as "relatively" simple as loading the latest Softsqueeze java code (which works very nicely IMO) and recompile it for Android's flavor of Java... only making minor compatibility changes for the audio playback device on Android? Perhaps, it's nowhere near that simple and could require a complete rewrite of the code from scratch;

Yeah, I tried briefly to port SoftSqueeze to Android but failed miserably.
Let's put the licensing issue aside for a moment (it may be possible to release it as GPL'ed app).
But (for me) porting SoftSqueeze ended in dependency-hell. SoftSqueeze depends on SO many libraries (many of them will not run Android), that I finally gave up on this approach.

I think the only proper way would be to create a completely new Android app from scratch (maybe take some of the SqueezePlay code as base).

That what pippin and I will try in the future, but it is really pretty complicated.

mkanet
2010-08-10, 05:15
Wow Christian, thank you so much for such an informative reply; and so quick! I was scared I would end up just attracting people here offering their opinions/speculation with no mention of actual good solutions on the works. At this point, I wouldnt care how it's done; as long as it's only just a simple app with a simple interface that navigates (and plays back) my SB channels with the option to just default to a list of my favorite channels that can be streamed to my android device with a a single click.

So, I'm guessing using the open-source code for softsqueeze on android's java compiler is just as hard as doing the whole thing from scratch. I'm actually a minority here.. still preferring Softsqueeze 3.9b2 over Squeezeplay on my PC based clients.

Thanks again for your post!
Michael

Well, the native playback feature is still on my TODO list, but it's really not as easy as it seems.

I'll probably first implement a stream.mp3 based solution in SqueezeCommander. It should be transparent for the user (i.e. it can be started/stopped directly in SqueezeCommander and avoid some of the well known problems with an external streaming app (like high latency)).

But this solution will still inherit some problems of stream.mp3, namely that you need a SBS server with a good CPU and that it will not work on MySB. :-/

Implementing a "real" player (i.e. implementing the complete SlimProto protocol) is a tough task - ask pippin from iPeng. ;-)
Anyway, this is my preferred long-term solution (because it will allow things like MySB access (if Logitech will allow it), syncronisation and so on) but that will definitely still take some more months... :-/

Sorry.

Yeah, I tried briefly to port SoftSqueeze to Android but failed miserably.
Let's put the licensing issue aside for a moment (it may be possible to release it as GPL'ed app).
But (for me) porting SoftSqueeze ended in dependency-hell. SoftSqueeze depends on SO many libraries (many of them will not run Android), that I finally gave up on this approach.

I think the only proper way would be to create a completely new Android app from scratch (maybe take some of the SqueezePlay code as base).

That what pippin and I will try in the future, but it is really pretty complicated.

intellax
2010-08-19, 18:44
First off, I love Squeeze Commander, I was using iPeng and they both work great! Now that I am primarily using an android phone, though, I have been dying, DYING, for SqueezePlay on android. I have tried subsonic but I don't like have multiple servers running at once, though to be honest, the machine I'm using for a server (2.53 duo core Mac Mini w/ 4gigs ram connected to hardware switch) can handle it.

Anyway, I cannot wait to see what you implement in SC, and hope for a native playback client someday!

ralphy
2010-08-20, 04:29
Has anyone tried to compile squeezeslave for the droid?

You could use squeezecommander to control it.

r184 in the source repository has the latest portaudio library which includes support for ALSA on the droid.

svn checkout http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/squeezeslave
I don't have one to try it out, but if someone would like to try compiling squeezeslave for it, I'd be happy to help with any issue.

lrossouw
2010-08-26, 18:37
You think this would work on any android phone or just the droid?

mkanet
2010-11-05, 05:17
I'm wondering if anyone has tried compiling the latest build on softsqueeze java on Froyo (Latest popular android OS). It has it's own java; which should be pretty close other java versions. I'll try asking "BPA" in the Softsqueeze 3.9 thread. But, if anyone has motivation and the expertise to do this, please post!