PDA

View Full Version : Is Receiver wifi reception poorer than other SB devices?

MadScientist
2010-08-04, 00:01
I have a Receiver in one of our bedrooms and have had constant rebuffering problems lately. It's always been problematic but much worse recently. The signal strength frequently drop to <10% (tried changing wifi channels etc. but no help). If I position either a SB Classic or Radio in the same spot I have no such problems (signal >60% at all times).

Is reception by the Receiver poorer than other devices or do I have a duff unit?

MS

didjean
2010-08-04, 00:25
I've also experienced the same issue with my receiver. That's one of the reasons why I don't use it anymore.

aubuti
2010-08-04, 00:39
Some people find that because of the position of the internal antenna it helps to stand the SBR on its side. Personally, the SBR that I have connected via wifi reports about the same signal strength as other SBs, and it doesn't have problems keeeping the buffer full, etc.

MadScientist
2010-08-04, 23:47
Thanks. I've tried various orientations of the Receiver but these don't help. I may investigate sticking an external aeriel on the Reciever or just binning it.

MS

garym
2010-08-05, 05:27
Thanks. I've tried various orientations of the Receiver but these don't help. I may investigate sticking an external aeriel on the Reciever or just binning it.

MS

sell it on ebay. seems that plenty of people are looking for receivers given that they are not currently available from logitech in most places.

maggior
2010-08-05, 06:48
sell it on ebay. seems that plenty of people are looking for receivers given that they are not currently available from logitech in most places.

True - you may even make a profit because of the demand.

Have you considered hardwiring the receiver? If running network cable isn't an option, have you considered PowerLine adapters?

I have 2 receivers and found I had to hardwire them eventually for consistent performance. One is connected via CAT-5 and the other is connected via PowerLine adapters because running CAT-5 into the kitchen just wasn't feasible.

MadScientist
2010-08-05, 07:17
Thanks, the PowerLine option is worth considering. I've got a spare high gain wifi aeriel so I've just ordered an adapter lead so I can connect it to Receiver input. Ifit works, I'll try to permently fix it to the Receiver case - not much spare room inside however.

MS

bpa
2010-08-05, 08:12
Another alternative would be something like a games adaptor (e.g. Linksys WGA54g) probably can find cheap on ebay.

Soulkeeper
2010-08-05, 08:19
Or installing DD-WRT on some old, unused wireless router, and using it as an access point.

peterw
2010-08-05, 08:39
Or installing DD-WRT on some old, unused wireless router, and using it as an access point.

You mean "client bridge", right? I've used both DD-WRT and polarcloud's Tomato as wireless client bridges for different Ethernet-equipped devices.

iPhone
2010-08-05, 09:27
I have a Receiver in one of our bedrooms and have had constant rebuffering problems lately. It's always been problematic but much worse recently. The signal strength frequently drop to <10% (tried changing wifi channels etc. but no help). If I position either a SB Classic or Radio in the same spot I have no such problems (signal >60% at all times).

Is reception by the Receiver poorer than other devices or do I have a duff unit?

MS

Yes, the antenna is poorly designed and poorly placed inside the Receiver. It sometimes helps to disconnect the secondary antenna depending on how and where the Access Point is.

MadScientist
2010-08-06, 06:44
Adding an external aeriel has solved the problem; signal strength from 20-25% to >80% and no rebuffering in over 2 hours play. Took less than 30 min to fit and cost me less than 5GBP. Result!

Note the small aeriel on the side in the picture :;

MS

maggior
2010-08-06, 07:54
MadScientist -

That's really cool! Nicely done.