PDA

View Full Version : Stream a Stream?

mjkassoc
2010-08-01, 10:39
Using Squeezebox Touch or Duet and a PC, is it possible to stream music coming into your PC, to your Squeeze device? How? I am thinking of music services that are not supported by Squeeze, such as Grooveshark, MOG and Spotify.

Would additional software make it possible, such as Twonky Beam?

garym
2010-08-01, 17:17
Using Squeezebox Touch or Duet and a PC, is it possible to stream music coming into your PC, to your Squeeze device? How? I am thinking of music services that are not supported by Squeeze, such as Grooveshark, MOG and Spotify.

Would additional software make it possible, such as Twonky Beam?

the WAV INPUT plugin does this. Anything playing on your computer is sent to your SB players via SbS and the WAV Plugin.

mjkassoc
2010-08-02, 07:08
Does SbS pickup the stream before your PC soundboard or after? Where do I get the plug-in?

Thanks

garym
2010-08-02, 08:09
after sound card, go to SbS web interface, select setting (lower right), go to plugin tab, be sure to check box for "show all 3rd party plugins". Then you should see the wav input plugin. check next to it, hit apply and restart SbS.

bpa
2010-08-02, 08:36
Does SbS pickup the stream before your PC soundboard or after?

On windows - it is created by the soundboard driver so its volume is the same as the software controlled volume of the soundcard.

Some audio services such as Spotify have special apps which do special/strange things to soundriver and so WaveInput may not be not reliable.

For Spotify without a subscription use the DSbridge solution. For Spotify with a subscription - use the Spotify plugin.

mjkassoc
2010-08-02, 09:03
Is audio quality degraded by the sound board, as compared with listening to the same source streamed directly to a Squeezebox device?

garym
2010-08-02, 09:06
Is audio quality degraded by the sound board, as compared with listening to the same source streamed directly to a Squeezebox device?

maybe. depends on the quality of the soundcard. Many soundcards resample 44.1 to 48. This is a bad idea, although if the resampling is handled well enough you probably can't hear the difference. I prefer having 44.1 played as 44.1. And SB devices do this.

toby10
2010-08-02, 09:34

It sure can cause degraded quality, which is the whole point of the SqueezeBox hardware and system: to bypass such computer audio muxing and to not need to interact directly with the computer.
There are many other advantages and features using SqueezeBox devices, but those two are probably the two best reasons why most people buy them in the first place. ;)

garym
2010-08-02, 09:38
It sure can cause degraded quality, which is the whole point of the SqueezeBox hardware and system: to bypass such computer audio muxing and to not need to interact directly with the computer.
There are many other advantages and features using SqueezeBox devices, but those two are probably the two best reasons why most people buy them in the first place. ;)

agree! and also note that using wav input is a klunky way to get playback via your SB in terms of ability to control things via SB, see metadata, etc. In my opinion it should only be a last resort.

bpa
2010-08-02, 10:06
maybe. depends on the quality of the soundcard. Many soundcards resample 44.1 to 48. This is a bad idea, although if the resampling is handled well enough you probably can't hear the difference. I prefer having 44.1 played as 44.1. And SB devices do this.

It is more dependent on the driver rather than the soundcard and on the OS.

The WaveInput for Linux uses a PCM stream and AFAICT can be left unmodified from application to SBS.

Windows is a different matter. Between Windows audio subsubsystem and the audiocard driver the audio stream can be mangled. I believe that even with a simple audio card Window processes audio "natively" at 48kHz so that "normal" 44.1kHz audio streams from applications will first be upsampled to 48kHz, processed (e.g. volume, bass, "concert hall" etc) and then downsample to 44.1kHz to be output on a simple audio card. Better audio cards will have better drivers and better processing but only when audio is played through the specific card.

mjkassoc
2010-08-02, 11:57
OK, so is there a way to stream a stream, specifically an unsupported music service, that does not use the sound card? Would Twonky Beam or other software work?