PDA

View Full Version : 2 players = 2 radio Streams?

scoob101
2010-07-29, 03:34
Hi all, random question of the day...

Sometimes I`ll have my Duet playing a radio station, and a SB Radio playing the exact same stream in another room. I don`t normally have the players sync`d.

In this situation am I pulling the steam *twice* from the internet (i.e double the bandwidth being used)?

Appreciate any input on this.

toby10
2010-07-29, 03:43
Hi all, random question of the day...

Sometimes I`ll have my Duet playing a radio station, and a SB Radio playing the exact same stream in another room. I don`t normally have the players sync`d.

In this situation am I pulling the steam *twice* from the internet (i.e double the bandwidth being used)?

Appreciate any input on this.

If playing from MySB.com, yes.
If playing from SBS on your computer, no.

scoob101
2010-07-29, 05:06
If playing from MySB.com, yes.
If playing from SBS on your computer, no.

Really? Thats very interesting. I run a WHS with squeezebox server, so youre telling me that I`m pulling just one stream when playing the same radio station on multiple players. Thats Perfect.

In this situation, I note that the players have a slight delay beween them -I guess that must be caused by buffering then, rather than playing different streams. Of course I can sync if i want to sort that delay out.

Many thanks for the info. I won`t be so picky now about turning off players when moving between rooms!

bpa
2010-07-29, 05:16
Only 1 stream is connected through SBS if the players are synced - otherwise there are 2 streams even if both players are tuned to same stations.

toby10
2010-07-29, 05:17
Really? Thats very interesting. I run a WHS with squeezebox server, so youre telling me that I`m pulling just one stream when playing the same radio station on multiple players. Thats Perfect....

When Synced it's one stream through SBS, not if you are selecting the same stream through individual players.

scoob101
2010-07-29, 05:55
When Synced it's one stream through SBS, not if you are selecting the same stream through individual players.

oh, ok. So unsync`d players will pull two streams like I feared. Bummer.

toby10
2010-07-29, 09:39
oh, ok. So unsync`d players will pull two streams like I feared. Bummer.

Yup.

If using MySB.com then all streams are unique to each player, Synced or not.