PDA

View Full Version : What should be in the next version of SqueezePad ?

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 14:04
Update
This poll is deprecated and replaced by this one: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83106
Update

Now as SqueezePad has been officially released there are sooo many directions on could go for improving the user experience.
Of course not everything can be done at the same time in an one-developer-shop, so things must be prioritized.
As I'm already very happy with the current set of features, I decided to start a poll to find out what feature would make most of the user-base happy.

So take your time and vote for the thing you want me to start at next.

More images of your music collection
Right now there a different ways to find more images matching your music collection/the current playing song.
But we don't have a place yet to show all those nice pictures from the Flickr-App, the Queen App, erlands Song-Info plugin (I always enjoy watching the Last.FM artist images them on the Radio, but the display there unfortunately is sooooooooooo small).

Now with the iPad why not browse all these images like in the 'Photos' App ? Fullscreen, with scaling, as a slideshow ...
So lets just tap the image of the current song and start such an image viewer !

Better playlist management
While the current version of SqueezePad has some basic playlist features via the context-menus (all those that logitech provides on their SqueezePlay devices) I guess people heavily using playlist might find the possibilities a bit limited.
The lets have a custom playlist editor which optionally appears on the right side (overlaying the 'Now Playing' part of the app until dismissed) where you can reorder tracks with drag and drop or delete single items.
If you are in the albums/titles/artists menu on the left one could even think of drag'n'dropping them from left to right (I'm not sure yet how complicated this could get for me).
Remember: touching a song already changes the menu or presents the context-menu so I still have to think how to best avoid confusions.

Syncing players (variation A)
Syncing players is available in the current version of SqueezePad via the default logitech menu. But again: if you do it often, the Logitech way ("select a player, sync it to another player, switch to the next player ...") might not be the most comfortable one.
So lets improve the popup for choosing players with options to group players with drag'n'drop as you might already know it from another iPhone App for Squeezeboxen.

Syncing players (variation B)
But is this the right way to do syncing ? Some time ago someone posted the following idea:
Why not define named Sync-Groups like 'Party Backyard', 'Party Frontyard' where players are assigned (again with drag and drop).
You then can easily activate certain preconfigured Sync-Groups which might be very handy if you often need different Sync-Groups.

Players would be allowed to be assigned to multiple Sync-Groups in the configuration by the way.

(I'll add the votes of 'Variation A+B' together, to get an overall count for a syncing feature)

Mysqueezebox.com - Integration
Currently you need a local server for running SqueezePad.
Do you want me to add mysqueezebox.com support so that it works also without a local server ?

TrackStat Ratings
Never used this feature myself - other Apps have this feature so it might be important. Tell me with your votes !

Caching of Album + Artist Lists
Like on your real Logitech Devices Album and Artist lists are fetched from the server each time you enter the menu.
This might be annoying for large libraries - so why not cache the list (until the server does the next rescan possibly finding new albums/artist).
The list could be presented much faster then !

Album Art Only Screen
A screen filled with the cover art of your library. Sorta like the example posted here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=560429&postcount=202

Better Search
Enter a search term and get a combined search for artists/albums/titles.

Something else
If you think your most important feature is not in the list, vote here and comment in this thread.
If this point gets enough votes I'll start the poll again with different options :D

goobi
2010-07-30, 12:31
Feel a bit stupid suggesting this but it is to be able to direct music to play on the ipad itself. I dont want to load the music up on ipad (only 16 gb), and want to be able to use familiarity with squeezbox menu system to play my music content on ipad and listen with headphones.

bluegaspode
2010-07-30, 15:00
might be possible - but doesn't seem to be very easy to implement.
Anyway - if others want that too, vote for 'Something else' for now.

nathan_h
2010-07-31, 17:53
Even though I posted all those ablum art screen shots, I didn't vote for that in the pole. Rather, I think you're handling of album art is fine. Sure, a pure browse through album art feature would be cool. But for me more searching options are what I miss.

So I voted for more search power.

In fact, the "killer app" would be to use metadata NOT in the squeeze server, to assist with searching. I don't know the rules about making use of a source like all music or something, so that I could search for all R&B from the 1960s and then get a list of the albums I have that fit that criteria according to AllMusic or something like that. Maybe freedb has that info, and could be the source. Dunno.

I admit that's a huge bit of integration since it's not part of the squeeze world already to draw on.... but one can dream!

achjimmy
2010-08-01, 05:10
Caching for me, the other options voted on all seem relevant, but caching would make it better IMO.

nathan_h
2010-08-03, 22:27
After living with the app some more i am finding the menu structure to be a little strange. I also find the logitech menuing to be odd. And maybe the menu here mimics what i have set up for each device in the web interface set up options?

Setting -> advanced -> information has stuff like Folders and Logs but neither does anything for me. Love to hide it.

Doesnt really make sense to me to have the App Gallery on the top level player menu. Mayne buried deeper or even better on a separate server settings section if there was one. Maybe that is something i can adjust in the logitech web interface?

I have a menu item called Extras and it is empty. Is that setup error on my part?

The My Apps option is cool but doesnt actually show all my apps. Album review for example is not there, but is instead under Search. Maybe thats how it is supposed to work. But it feels weird. Love to see album review as an option at the top when i am listening to an album.

Anyway i think there are other similar thinga but this is a selection of examples. As i say this stuff may be mostly user setup errors on the server and not the Squeezepad app's doing.

bluegaspode
2010-08-03, 23:56
After living with the app some more i am finding the menu structure to be a little strange.
Actually it should be exactly the menu structure you would see on the logitech device. So if you use a Radio, Controller or Touch they'd present the menus in the exact same (dis-?)order.

The Extras menu is special I think. Its disabled per default on the devices - but its where most of the third party stuff puts its sub-menu under. I'll keep a note to hide it if it has no items.

Also if you search for the 'Apps' thingies you will find a lot of threads here on the forum. Apps is what is provided by Logitech - so Album-Review cannot appear there (but somewhere else - whatever the author chose).

Using the original menus has a lots of advantages and disadvantages:
(-) if users don't like the logitech way, they won't like the SqueezPad way
(+) users don't get confused by the menus when switching between SqueezePad/Controller/Touch/Radio/Boom/Classic
(+) I automatically have all features available on all devices. If I started something on my own a lot of stuff would be missing (like Spotify, Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody, Third Party plugins) - as I even don't know all this stuff users are using.

For the 7.6. beta version logitech decided to make it possible to reorder menus. I'll probably need to implement this feature as well.

iPeng choose a different route - pippin made his own top-level menu for albums + artist - and somewhere else you can find the squeezeplay menus as well. Personally I find that more confusing - but probably all this is just a matter of taste.

nathan_h
2010-08-04, 00:13
Yes after a little more exploring i guess Squeezepad is using the same menus as my other devices --- which i think it the right thing to do. I just need to fix my menu settings better, get rid of some stuff i dont use etc.

The Extras menu should actually have some items for me because it does on the web interface but doesnt in Squeezepad.

Although i like ipeng i am glad you chose the other route (sticking with the logitech way) because it will scale better with new apps and plugins i think. Right now Im still gettin used to how it handles plugins.

pippin
2010-08-04, 00:45
iPeng choose a different route - pippin made his own top-level menu for albums + artist - and somewhere else you can find the squeezeplay menus as well.

iPeng uses the Squeezeplay menu as well but adds additional items on the top level because you can only put top-level items onto the Tab Bar.
Apart from that I pretty much leave the SP menu structure as it is with the notable exception of trying to group player settings menu under "player settings" to be able to create a player settings context menu instead of having them distributed across the whole menu structure as SqueezePlay does.

I believe the SP philosophy is that the whole SP menu structure is player specific so a player settings menu doesn't make sense which is a philosophy I don't agree to.

How about agreeing on a way to customize the home menu structure through the server and have a plugin for that? The motivation for me would be to have then same menu structure for all players and all client devices which I think is otherwise a pain in the ass to design. We would need somebody to write the plugin, though, I'm not gonna touch Perl....

bluegaspode
2010-08-04, 01:05
As Ben is currently writing something on the SqueezePlay Client Side in the end I will need a solution too. Be it clientside or serverside.

Most important: easy to configure but still versatile enough to make 80% of users satisfied :D - lets wait what a bit how the discussion from erland goes on.

erland
2010-08-04, 12:45
How about agreeing on a way to customize the home menu structure through the server and have a plugin for that? The motivation for me would be to have then same menu structure for all players and all client devices which I think is otherwise a pain in the ass to design.

Since Logitech have decided to do it on the client side it's not going to be enough to have a server side plugin, we will also need an applet that can modify the menus on the client and report to the server side plugin which menus that are available. In SqueezePlay it's important to remember that some menus might be created by applets which the server side isn't even aware of.

There isn't any way to replace/reorder menus on the server side, there was support for this earlier but the functionality disappeared in a 7.x release (don't remember exactly which one). Some support for it might come back in 7.6 if the onebrowser functionality is included but that only involves menus under My Music.

We would need somebody to write the plugin, though, I'm not gonna touch Perl....

Let's wait and see what Logitech will do first.

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 14:40
Hi guys,

thanks for participating in this poll !

The Top3 is clear now:
- Better playlist management
- Albums/artist lists caching
- MySqueezebox.com integration

I just finished MySqueezebox.com integration because it was the easiest to do. This version was submitted to Apple this week so should be available some day next week.
The next thing for me to do will be better playlist management followed by albums/artist lists caching.

I'm going to implement playlist management in two steps:
- first the basics (a window that moves in from the right where you can see the playlist, reorder tracks by drag and drop, save/clear the playlist)
- second the icing: drag and drop from left to right

After the first step I'll provide an update to the AppStore so that you can use it as fast as possible.

Just one final question came up this weekend: should we change the looks of SqueezePad first ?
Again its all about priorities and choices, see this thread for further discussion: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81403

amcluesent
2010-08-21, 15:17
I did this small demo of Squeezepad with CustomBrowse plug-in augmenting the features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSk6ghgX_q4

There does seem to be some issues with too many entries in the top-level menu, maybe because I've replaced Squeezebox menus with CustomBrowse ones of the same name. However the Controller isn't affected by this...

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 15:31
I did this small demo of Squeezepad with CustomBrowse plug-in augmenting the features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSk6ghgX_q4

There does seem to be some issues with too many entries in the top-level menu, maybe because I've replaced Squeezebox menus with CustomBrowse ones of the same name. However the Controller isn't affected by this...

Yeah - the first SqueezePad YouTube video (cannot be found by searching for SqueezePad though) :D !

Is the effect with the CustomBrowse-Menu visible on the video ? Write me a mail to bluegaspode at gmail dot com so that we can investigate your issue !

JayLaFunk
2010-08-22, 06:50
Would it be possible to add resume playback from last position for audiobooks and podcasts in MP3 format?...

jimzak
2010-08-22, 08:03
You probably already saw my post in the other thread, but I would certainly appreciate the option to use SqueezePad in portrait view mode.

bluegaspode
2010-08-22, 11:23
I put both request on the backlog so that they can be part of the next poll.

I think resuming is difficult (or at least not stable) if thats not implemented on the server side.
SqueezePad doesn't have any chance to know the position where you stopped the stream when its off. So it might work when you control everything exclusive with SqueezePad, but would instantly fail when you use some other remote.
This might get annoying.

bluegaspode
2010-08-29, 00:07
Do you want to enter a value manually ?
Or do you want to just see the value, that is assigned ?

In both cases - what is your reasoning ?

satmarshall
2010-08-29, 19:23
I love the app!

I use all of my squeezeboxes (5) with fixed audio output. I think it sounds better and I can play surround sound files to one of my avr receivers. Is there any way/added feature to have the volume control "punch through" and control the receiver volume instead of the SBs? Not sure if the IRBlaster plugin could help. Integration with a global cache IR system would be fantastic.

Keep up the great work!

peter
2010-09-01, 04:09
On 20-7-2010 23:04, bluegaspode wrote:
> SYNCING PLAYERS (VARIATION A)
> Syncing players is available in the current version of SqueezePad via
> the default logitech menu. But again: if you do it often, the Logitech
> way ("select a player, sync it to another player, switch to the next
> player ...") might not be the most comfortable one.
> So lets improve the popup for choosing players with options to group
> players with drag'n'drop as you might already know it from another
> iPhone App for Squeezeboxen.
>
> SYNCING PLAYERS (VARIATION B)
> But is this the right way to do syncing ? Some time ago someone posted
> the following idea:
> Why not define named Sync-Groups like 'Party Backyard', 'Party
> Frontyard' where players are assigned (again with drag and drop).
> You then can easily activate certain preconfigured Sync-Groups which
> might be very handy if you often need different Sync-Groups.
>
> Players would be allowed to be assigned to multiple Sync-Groups in the
> configuration by the way.
>
> (I'll add the votes of 'Variation A+B' together, to get an overall
> count for a syncing feature)

I have an other idea (a few years ago actually) for a different syncing
interface that might be worth considering, suppose we have 4 players,
named P1 to P4. You could create a matrix of checkboxes like this.

http://slim2lirc.myown.mailcan.com/syncmatrix.html

To create a sync between player 1 and 3, just place a checkmark in
column P1 and row P3. This is actually redundant, since every button is
duplicated. You could leave out the top right half and put the labels
underneath, ending up with a triangle of checkboxes. A bit like a break
out box, really.

Long player names will be a bit of a problem, though...

Could be a quick way to sync/unsync things. Dragging an dropping is
always a bit of a hassle IMHO.

Regards,
Peter

bluegaspode
2010-09-01, 05:00
To create a sync between player 1 and 3, just place a checkmark in column P1 and row P3.
But how to sync more than one player with your proposal?

Anyway - a matrix still sounds fine.
Rows are the players, columns are the syncgroups.

peter
2010-09-01, 09:49
bluegaspode wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575
> Question: Whats your highest priority ?
>
> - More images of your music collection
> - Playlist management
> - Syncing Players Variation A
> - Syncing Players Variation B
> - MySqueezebox.com Integration
> - TrackStat Ratings
> - Caching of Album + Artist Lists
> - Album Art Only Screen
> - Better Search
> - Something else - Please do the poll with different options !
>
> peter;573576 Wrote:
>
>> To create a sync between player 1 and 3, just place a checkmark in
>> column P1 and row P3.
>>
> But how to sync more than one player with your proposal?
>

Click two checkboxes in the same row/column.

I see there's a problem because there always should be one master.
Perhaps the masters could be the columns and the slaves the rows.

> Anyway - a matrix still sounds fine.
> Rows are the players, columns are the syncgroups.
>
I don't really use syncing a lot, but that's probably partly because the
current interface is such a bother.

Peter

abelincoln
2010-09-12, 07:36
Just downloads your app and really like it. Keep up the good work and keep updating. I minor suggestion but is it only me that wish the arrows were darker? Looks like they are greyed out on the various screens even though you can use them.

bluegaspode
2010-09-12, 09:42
I minor suggestion but is it only me that wish the arrows were darker? Looks like they are greyed out on the various screens even though you can use them.

The next version (guess the update will be available this week) has a whole new look (see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81403).
So the arrows will get even lighter ;) ...

starcat
2010-09-29, 11:50
Feel a bit stupid suggesting this but it is to be able to direct music to play on the ipad itself. I dont want to load the music up on ipad (only 16 gb), and want to be able to use familiarity with squeezbox menu system to play my music content on ipad and listen with headphones.

C'mon, sync the music and play it with the iPod on the iPad. You can even take it with you! There is so much more important than this, really. Like Caching Images, TrackStat integration, thumbnail preview selection for all albums in a given playlist or library, etc.

renevk
2010-09-29, 13:15
I would like to see more of The current playlist. NOW you can only see what comes NeXT. But why don't see THE complete list of songs.

Chunkywizard
2010-09-29, 13:18
I'd like TrackStat ratings please. Shouldn't be too difficult :wink:

Cheers

CW

starcat
2010-09-29, 13:22
When dragging the volume slider I would like to have a digital readout from 0..100 in realtime (in a popup window middle of the screen) depending on the selected volume level. Just like on digital amplifiers nowadays. By seeing and remembering this number one may level down and then restore the exact level previously set by remembering that numeric value.

rkotemp
2010-10-03, 15:08
I did vote for playlist control. But there are 2 other major items for me.

1) IRblaster

I use the IRblaster plugin to control the volume of mij receivers. In the setup i have set à fixed output of 100%. I also need this for multichannel files (AC3 or DTS). The volume slider is not usable in that case.
Mybe you could make the pictures on both sides of the slider active buttons that will lower or add the volume. Not bij setting à volume value but send commands to squeezebox server to add or substract 1 of the volume.

2) Portraid mode

I use dockingstatios and in the dock you can not use the application as it has only à landscape mode.

Rob

Chunkywizard
2010-10-04, 00:01
when dragging the volume slider i would like to have a digital readout from 0..100 in realtime (in a popup window middle of the screen) depending on the selected volume level. Just like on digital amplifiers nowadays. By seeing and remembering this number one may level down and then restore the exact level previously set by remembering that numeric value.

+1

cw

JerryS
2010-10-04, 01:28
when dragging the volume slider i would like to have a digital readout from 0..100 in realtime (in a popup window middle of the screen) depending on the selected volume level. Just like on digital amplifiers nowadays. By seeing and remembering this number one may level down and then restore the exact level previously set by remembering that numeric value.

+1

js

bluegaspode
2010-10-04, 02:23
Sounds very easy to do and will delay the next version about a day.
Will have a look into it, but no promises yet :D

browellm
2010-10-04, 13:43
Please can we have an album sort under the artist that places albums in year order, with the year in brackets afterwards, preferably?

This has been an epic fail on the Controller. Logitech either won't or can't implement it.

bluegaspode
2010-10-04, 13:48
Please can we have an album sort under the artist that places albums in year order, with the year in brackets afterwards, preferably?

This has been an epic fail on the Controller. Logitech either won't or can't implement it.

No I'm afraid that's not possible.

I'm using the original menus.
This has the advantage of having all features present as on the Controller (including all Apps), but the 'disadvantage' that of course the menus need to looks exactly the same.

erland
2010-10-11, 11:56
Since I can't vote multiple times myself, maybe there is someone out there that haven't voted yet and also want to see some nice images of your albums and artists on your nice iPad screen, please help me vote for the "More images of your music collection" option.

I can't believe that you don't want beautiful images on your iPad. My Touch now playing screen got the a lot more interesting since I added the possibility to show switching artist images from LastFM.com on its now playing screen through the Custom Clock applet and Song Info plugin. Something similar on Squeezepad would be great.

bluegaspode
2010-10-11, 13:48
Hi erland,

this is my favourite as well :D.
I'll plan on finishing the last most wanted feature first (which is caching of album lists) and then redoing the poll.
It will be very interesting how priorities will have shifted and where all those people that voted for playlists and caching will vote once their prio-one task is implemented !

Maybe this something we can target for christmas ... not too much promises though its only 10 weeks left ... arrggghhh ... where did the time go ?

colincliff
2010-10-16, 03:07
Loving the new update, but the lack of Wake on Lan is the main thing that keeps me from using squeezepad more. My server sleeps when not being used, so having to wake it before I can use squeezepad is a pain.

bluegaspode
2010-10-16, 03:59
Hi colincliff - would it be enough for you if you could enter a MAC address and have a button to send a WOL (maybe SqueezePad could also send one WOL on startup once configured) ?

Or would you need a more sophisticated solution ?

In the meantime try this simple App: http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/netawake/id288779132?mt=8

colincliff
2010-10-16, 05:05
Hi colincliff - would it be enough for you if you could enter a MAC address and have a button to send a WOL (maybe SqueezePad could also send one WOL on startup once configured) ?

Or would you need a more sophisticated solution ?

In the meantime try this simple App: http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/netawake/id288779132?mt=8

The ideal would be to have the app send the magic packet as it searches for the server. That way it will wake it when the app is started and also if the server has gone to sleep while the app is running (i.e. when no music has played for a while) It would be fine to manually enter the Mac address, unless the app could somehow remember the cast server it connected to and use that address. This is how the squeezeboxes work at the moment - sending the magic packet to the last server.

I have a stand alone app for wol already but I think a built in one would be much slicker - especially for other users of the iPad in my family who are less technical. I think the ipeng app on my iPhone has wol so I think it is possible.

Fantastic app though, copying the menu structure of the squeezeboxes really helps everyone to use the app easily here.

HugoW
2010-11-04, 09:30
I think the development is on a good development roadmap!
But I still have some questions!

I dont have a squeezebox (yet) but wonder how the squeezepad
handles very large amount of music (like i have about 3500 CD albums thas over 50.000 mp3 files on my NAS.)

1 - The Caching of Album & Artist Lists is for me the most important feature due to the effect on very large CD Album collections
Having the index (or database) local on the ipad increase startup time very much - a super feature!
I Hate iTunes behaviour of reading all music index from the NAS at startup!

2 - I would like to see improvement of the searching feature
Because the current a-z search naviigation is very limited.
Implement a editable search bar which i can use for
searching on Album Artist & Album Title & (optional)Track Title.

3 - I like the visible Album cover also in itunes/windows media player does with a matrix. In all the screendumps of squeexepad i don't see this.
This make visible searching for a certain album easier.

4 - Album sorting order.
But like to have sorting on multiple mp3 idv3 tags
Like example
a) Album Artist + Album Title + Year (descending) + Barcode
b) Year (or decade) (ascending) + Album Artist + Album Title + Barcode

5 - The near-duplicate problem.
Most music software can't handle the following
Two albums (Just a fictive example)
Album Artist: Me
Album Title: Do Re Mi
Year: 2010
Format: Studio Recording
Media: CD

Format: Studio Recording
Media: 2xCD Limited Edition

A very simple solution is to extend the Album Title with the text "Limited edition" but officially it is not part of the album title but is a release format issue of the cd album.

The same problem occure with album that only differ in recording type

Recording: Studio

Recording: Live (or soundboard)

Often music software merge both albums into one CD during the mp3 directory scan because they match only on Album Artist + Album Title.
And yes it also is a shortcomming of the ID3 standard That not all information about music can be stored by TAG in the music file.
Like RecordingType[Studio/Live/Bootleg/Soundboard/interview]" or Choice [Band/Man/Woman]
or MediaType[Vinyl 7"single/vinyl 12"single/vinyl LP,CDS/CD EP or CD Maxi/CD/DCC/TAPE 60min TAPE 90min Tape 120min. or Tape Reel], Recording studio.
Stuff like that....
The most important tags for me shall be RecordingType & mediatype TagS
I really like to search for example
All CDS from katebush in the decade 1980-1990 .or.
All StudioAlbum where genre is reggae in decade 1970 - 1980
All interviews of Woman artists
Theese are examples of how i like to search my very large music collections.

6 - If you think about a local database on the iPad with you feature: Caching of Album & Artist Lists.
The think about implementing a (temporary)view for the GUI of this database table that the user can modify for searching a certain CD album.

I mean have a look at the adobe lightroom. Instead of foto's think of music!
This program show the power of using tags in the foto and the full strength of a database. I can search on every tag of a images (exif tags)
Searhing on tags is SUPER in lightroom
What i like the most about lightroom is that i start with all photo's and can step-by-step drill-down to a very small group i like to see!
Like: All -> foto's of 1990-januari -> foto's with F1.4 lens -> photo's with rating 5
This show really the power of the database interacting with the db/table view of the GUI

Please try to implement this database & music tag IDv3 integration (like lightroom) into you're app and you have a killer app that makes you rich!

7 - Try to search on every MP3 tag possible
8 - People who likes classic music often think about composers or conductor instead of Artist. Please see it from theire point of view with this ap.
and you have them as customer as well!

9 - Have a look at AlbumPlayer.com and collectorz.com for good music software for the PC/computer.
Have a look but please don't wheep :( because YOU do control the audio stream to the squeezebox and they DO NOT :-)

10 - You have a greate product the combination of iPad (i Have) and logitech squeezebox (i donot have-yet) really got my attention!
Keep up this good work.

Kind regards,
Hugo
I'm a big high-end audio fan for over 20 years and
I love the concept of streaming audio.
I also love the iPad (it's not a pc replamcement it's more!)

HugoW
2010-11-04, 09:33

For that other ipad Apps use a "SqueezeBox simulator" on the iPad.
But the integration into the squeezePad sounds greate to mee too.

pippin
2010-11-04, 10:02
in other words, you want SqueezePad to look and behave like iPeng for iPad (1, 2, 3, 4a).... Hm, would bluegaspode want that?

I believe for 7, 8, 9 you'll either need to change the server or use CustomBrowse which works fine with SqueezePad.

amcluesent
2010-11-04, 14:43
I'd like it so the menus don't reset to 'home' when you change the selected player (i.e. follow the behaviour of the Squeezebox Server web interface)

bluegaspode
2010-11-04, 14:44
Hi HugoW,

thanks a lot for the wealth of wishes and for your time to write them down !

1) will be available in two weeks, when the next version comes out !
2+3) will both be part of the next poll (I'll start on the weekend, when I'v finished the next version of SqueezePad)

4) I thinks this is possible already today.
If I browse albums they are sorted by artist and title (and year doesn't make sense then anymore)
Then there is also the 'Years' menu and within again my albums are sorted by artist and title.
This can also be changed with a setting in the squeezebox server to have another sort order (track+album)

5+6+7+8) hard to solve without changes in the server.
In the end a client can only do what the server servers :D ... right now I want to stay near the 'original' menus to make it easy for people to adopt and switch between using SqueezePad and also using their SqueezeBoxes directly.

9) will do to get some inspiration

10) thanks a lot ! Go buy your Squeezeboxes now :D

Cheers
Stefan

bluegaspode
2010-11-04, 14:46
I'd like it so the menus don't reset to 'home' when you change the selected player (i.e. follow the behaviour of the Squeezebox Server web interface)

I put that into my backlog, so that I won't forget !

I'm wondering what happens when one is in a menu of an App that isn't installed on all players though !

pippin
2010-11-04, 15:04
I put that into my backlog, so that I won't forget !

I'm wondering what happens when one is in a menu of an App that isn't installed on all players though !

You get a menu remove notification you can handle.

bluegaspode
2010-11-04, 15:13
You get a menu remove notification you can handle.

when I switch players ? The server doesn't even now when I switched players, always thought that menu notifications where player specific (that's why right now I keep a menu per player though in 98% the menu is always the same).

Will take a look into it.

pippin
2010-11-04, 15:28
when I switch players ? The server doesn't even now when I switched players, always thought that menu notifications where player specific (that's why right now I keep a menu per player though in 98% the menu is always the same).

Will take a look into it.

Wow. Does that work well and not cause too much overhead?
I actually once thought about doing that, too (keeping a menu for each player) to be able to change player settings (alarms etc.) on all players instead of only on the current one as it is now...
But as you say it I believe this is the very reason I did not do it in the end: I preferred to have my menus player-independent.
I think I don't remember right now how I handle the different apps menus for different players.

virtualien
2011-11-24, 04:26
Hi,

I recently bought both SqueezePad and iPengHD. So far I prefer SqueezePad, the menus are well thought and it seems to be more stable.

my wish:
My ipad 2 rests in landscape mode on an Bluelounge Nest in an angle of about 15-20°. When you click on album art, the album art appears in upright format, which is stupid (iPengHD keeps it in landscape). SqueezePad only does it right if the iPad stands in an angle > 40°.

In future you should just keep the orientation of the SqueezePad when the Album art window pops up.

thanks for this cool app

jgriffin_iii
2012-01-03, 11:29
I would like the app to display in both landscape (as it does today) and in portrait mode.

bluegaspode
2012-01-03, 14:18
I would like the app to display in both landscape (as it does today) and in portrait mode.

Hi jgriffin_iii,

portrait mode right now has the highest priority of all feature requests right now.
Unfortunately it's an awfull lot of work, as the current design would just not work in portrait and due to some internal technical reason how I handle the orientation I also had to rewrite major parts in SqueezePad.

Right now unfortunately I cannot make any promises on when I'll find the time to start working on it. I hope I can make it in 2012, but don't expect anything in early 2012 :(

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

anso7533
2012-03-16, 22:22
Am I the only one who adds songs to the "now playing" playlist? I scroll through my library while listening almost every time to add songs I haven't heard in a long time. I don't need a drag and drop, although it would be nice. I just want to have a side arrow that asks " add to current playlist". I just bought this app because the free version could not add songs to a play list. This one doesn't either so I guess I am the fool!

bluegaspode
2012-03-16, 22:40
Hi anso7533,

please enter the settings screen of SqueezePad (small button on the bottom right). There you'll find the 'playlist modification mode' which you can set to 'always ask' which is my personal preferred option (other option are 'always add to end', 'always add next' or the default 'always replace').

Choose whatever you prefer and enjoy SqueezePad!

Don't hesitate to ask further questions, if there are any.

Mnyb
2012-03-17, 01:17
Also install the playlistmanager plugin (in the LMS server ) Then you be able to add tracks to to saved playlists not only the currently playing one

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-17, 05:57
I installed squeezepad again the other day just to see where things are with it...

Is there any chance you can do precaching of all artists/albums in one shot similar to iPengHD. The caching delay every time I drill down into an artist really annoys me.

I have allot of artists and albums and maybe this is just an annoyance for me alone.

bluegaspode
2012-03-18, 04:49
Is there any chance you can do precaching of all artists/albums in one shot similar to iPengHD. The caching delay every time I drill down into an artist really annoys me.

I don't understand? You only have to wait one single time when you enter the artists/albums menu and then the menu is cached. Then only on the next rescan the cache is cleared.

I guess in 90% of use cases you are entering the artists or album menu right after starting SqueezePad (and maybe 100% after you added new music/did a rescan), so I don't see big advantages to start the caching earlier?

Then selecting an album/artist to see the tracklist/albumlist is almost instantaneously here (<1sek). I'm running on a SheevaPlug, 1,2Ghz ARM processor -> any typical NAS nowadays is more powerful, so I didn't implement precaching there as it didn't look like making any sense.

What am I missing exactly for your scenario?

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-18, 08:01
I rescan almost daily.

The other thing I notice is the art in the lists in the left is really fuzzy and bad in comparison to iPengHD. Looks especially bad on the new Retina display.

Sorry, I don't want to come across as a hater. I would run yours daily if these 2 issues for me were addressed. iPengHD has it's issues as well, and I prefer your simple layout with current playing big art showing all the time.

verypsb
2012-03-18, 09:29

I have allot of artists and albums and maybe this is just an annoyance for me alone.

+1 This really annoys me too. (I rescan daily, because the new & changed scan isn't reliable)

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-18, 09:33
Another thing is "Add to..." functionality doesn't list existing playlists, when you have Philip Meyer's playlist manager installed.

bluegaspode
2012-03-18, 11:00
Another thing is "Add to..." functionality doesn't list existing playlists, when you have Philip Meyer's playlist manager installed.

This works for me. Long Touch on an item and in the context menu it is the very first item "Add Too >" to put it into a different playlist ((just tried an album and a track and an item from the current playlist).

Where do you try this? SqueezePads menu should be behaving exactly like on a Squeezebox Touch.

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-18, 11:09
This works for me. Long Touch on an item and in the context menu it is the very first item "Add Too >" to put it into a different playlist ((just tried an album and a track and an item from the current playlist).

Where do you try this? SqueezePads menu should be behaving exactly like on a Squeezebox Touch.

Hmmm... it is working on my iPad. Wasn't working on a buddies when he was over this AM.

bluegaspode
2012-03-18, 11:12
I rescan almost daily.

To understand your needs better:
If you rescan daily - then the very first thing each day that iPeng will do is to start caching the contents in the background. But isn't the first thing you do each day entering the menus anyway so that you'd have to wait for iPengs caching to be finished as well?
So that in the end we are talking about 2-3 seconds that iPengs caching would have finished earlier?

Or what do you do as the first thing when you start iPeng the first time each day? Not browsing the albums or artist, so that background caching gives some advantage in the majority of your usage patterns?

Are we only talking about caching the full album / artist list - or do you also have performance problems when drilling down into an album? If so - what type of server are you running, how big is your library and what server version is used?

The other thing I notice is the art in the lists in the left is really fuzzy and bad in comparison to iPengHD. Looks especially bad on the new Retina display.

I got reports of that already, but my new iPad will only arrive on Monday (if I catch the postman).
As a developer unfortunately you don't have much means to test before anyone else gets his iPad (and we are lucky these times, as Germany gets the iPad at the same time as the US. For iPad2 we had a delay of at least a month I think).

I did already fix the font stuff by the way (could be confirmed by two beta testers who also have their iPad already in their hand) and uploaded a new version to Apple at 2a.m this morning. Should improve the general appearance very much. Don't know how long they take for reviewing these days though.
For improving icons I need to see the Retina display myself - so my plan is to provide a version with better icons + album art in about two weeks (+ Apple review time), though I cannot guarantee it - we are moving right now.

Sorry, I don't want to come across as a hater. I would run yours daily if these 2 issues for me were addressed. iPengHD has it's issues as well, and I prefer your simple layout with current playing big art showing all the time.

hehe - some incentive to work on it. I love every new user that switches from iPeng to SqueezePad ;)

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-18, 11:29
To understand your needs better:
If you rescan daily - then the very first thing each day that iPeng will do is to start caching the contents in the background. But isn't the first thing you do each day entering the menus anyway so that you'd have to wait for iPengs caching to be finished as well?
So that in the end we are talking about 2-3 seconds that iPengs caching would have finished earlier?

Or what do you do as the first thing when you start iPeng the first time each day? Not browsing the albums or artist, so that background caching gives some advantage in the majority of your usage patterns?

Are we only talking about caching the full album / artist list - or do you also have performance problems when drilling down into an album? If so - what type of server are you running, how big is your library and what server version is used?

My Server is a quad core i7 with 8GB of Ram, 7200 RPM OS drive, Raid 0 Music drive. My library is 110,000 tracks or so, 8500 artists. Some artist may have 40+ albums under them.

Because of the initial cache, iPeng will bring up an artist and the albums under the artist right away and then slowly shows the art. I've already started scrolling and most times the art has shown up by the time I get to the album I'm looking for.

If I have awesome wireless strength your progress bar and caching happens pretty much instantaneous. But if I'm in certain parts of the house there is a delay bringing up album lists while it caches.

It would certainly be nice to have an option to precache all artists and albums. After a rescan in iPeng, I quickly go into the artists let the cache happen and the same for all albums. It's part of my ritual, but it gives me the best performance for the rest of my session and or until my next rescan.

Jeff Flowerday
2012-03-18, 11:31
I got reports of that already, but my new iPad will only arrive on Monday (if I catch the postman).
As a developer unfortunately you don't have much means to test before anyone else gets his iPad (and we are lucky these times, as Germany gets the iPad at the same time as the US. For iPad2 we had a delay of at least a month I think).

I did already fix the font stuff by the way (could be confirmed by two beta testers who also have their iPad already in their hand) and uploaded a new version to Apple at 2a.m this morning. Should improve the general appearance very much. Don't know how long they take for reviewing these days though.
For improving icons I need to see the Retina display myself - so my plan is to provide a version with better icons + album art in about two weeks (+ Apple review time), though I cannot guarantee it - we are moving right now.

Just so you know the album art in the left list looks bad on the original iPad in comparison to iPeng as well. It's not just a retina issue.

bluegaspode
2012-03-18, 12:08
Because of the initial cache, iPeng will bring up an artist and the albums under the artist right away and then slowly shows the art. I've already started scrolling and most times the art has shown up by the time I get to the album I'm looking for.

What I can consider as a start is preloading all images once you opened the menu.
Right now, SqueezePad only tries to load the visible images once you stopped scrolling.
Not a big problem with average sized libraries but I see that with artist having > 40 albums in your library and such a high artist count it might make some trouble.

Just so you know the album art in the left list looks bad on the original iPad in comparison to iPeng as well. It's not just a retina issue.

Well, they look as good as on a Squeezebox Touch, as I'm using the same icons (64x64 in size). iPeng uses bigger icons which is easy on his layout, but impossible in SqueezePad where people (like you ;) ) also like the big image for the Now Playing area.

Anyway: I think we will get much better album art on iPad3, once I have finished the implementation for high resolution album art.

pablolie
2012-03-22, 07:36
After living with the app some more i am finding the menu structure to be a little strange. ...

I would also suggest improved user interface. I find myself adding songs to playlists feeling a bit of dread, since one wrong touch means the active plalist will get wiped out. Make no mistake buttons would help. In my opinion, the current "apply pressure on song/album until options pop up" is error prone and unintuitive.

bluegaspode
2012-03-22, 16:03
I would also suggest improved user interface. I find myself adding songs to playlists feeling a bit of dread, since one wrong touch means the active plalist will get wiped out. Make no mistake buttons would help. In my opinion, the current "apply pressure on song/album until options pop up" is error prone and unintuitive.

This is already part of SqueezePad.
Just enter the settings screen with the small button on the bottom right.

There you will find the "playlist modification mode" settings which you can set to
- always ask (my preferred one)
- always add to end (quite useful for creating playlists)
- always add next (quite useful at parties)
- always replace playlist (the default - as with real Squeezeboxes)

ad6922
2012-03-24, 13:40
My ipad will come somewhere next week and I will then start using squeezepad.

One thing that seems to be missing (as said, don't have the app already) is the option to change the shortcuts. I always use the option musicfolder. Can you make it possible to make the shortcuts changeable by the user

(referring to:
•shortcuts to most used functions: on the bottom bar you have buttons for artist, albums, internet radio and favorites menu. Also common playlist function (Load, Save, Clear) have their own buttons.)

bluegaspode
2012-03-24, 15:30
One thing that seems to be missing (as said, don't have the app already) is the option to change the shortcuts. I always use the option musicfolder. Can you make it possible to make the shortcuts changeable by the user

Hi ad6922,

I'm afraid right now making the shortcuts configurable is not on the roadmap.
But accessing the music folder is just two taps away from wherever you are:
1) Tap on Home-Button (always visible, except in screensaver mode)
2) Tap on Music Folders

Surfing via albums + artist is a lot faster by the way, as SqueezePad can cache these menus.
If your folder structure is good, then the tagging tools are able to automatically create tags.
Also the album art is missing in the folder view (and with tools like bliss - http://www.squeezepad.com/2010/10/how-to-upgrade-coverart-to-a-higher-resolution/ it's really easy to add them) .

ad6922
2012-03-27, 14:52
Hi bluegaspode,

thx for your reaction.

I have a rather large database from around 61000 songs. Changing this would take me enormous time or there should be some software that can do the job automatically. That's why I stick to my music folder setup unless you can point me to the right app that can do the job. Any ideas?

My folder structure is consistent set as Genre/Letter (A-z)/Artist/Album and then the numbers.

bluegaspode
2012-03-27, 15:52
Changing this would take me enormous time or there should be some software that can do the job automatically. That's why I stick to my music folder setup unless you can point me to the right app that can do the job. Any ideas?

mp3tag is able to automatically create tags from your folder structure.
See the help here: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt

pippin
2012-03-27, 15:59
Err... even Squeezebox Server/Logitech Media Server is able to tag based on folder structure if you have a consistent one, have a look at the Wiki and search for "folders" or "tagging".

garym
2012-03-27, 16:08
mp3tag is able to automatically create tags from your folder structure.
See the help here: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt

+1 on mp3tag. once you figure this out, it works very nicely. And of course mp3tag can handle many file types (FLAC, etc.)

dpaws
2012-09-23, 11:36
Firstly, thank you so much for your continued enthusiasm for this app, it's the main reason I've stuck with the Logitech system over the rivals. On the new iPad the app is excellent.

This may not be the place but I would very much enjoy the following additional features

1) A full album art browse (I've voted on your pole)
2) The focus/swim options that are employed in the Sooloos software which are excellent for selecting a pool of tracks for a random playlist.
3) A random playlist generator plugin based on mathematical algorithms as the B&O "MOTS" where you select a "seed" and it does the rest (but avoids relying on tagged metadata) I understand that MusicIP tried to achieve this in the past.

Thanks again

HK-Steve
2012-11-25, 02:49
Hello to Everyone.
I am using AMX to control my home theater, there have been several threads over at AMX on how useful it would be for apps to be launched within tp control.

I have attached the info from the thread, hope it helps.
Also the link to Kaleidescape with more info.

Much Appreciate your help
Cheers
Steve

================================================== ================================================== ======================================

Launching_Apps
Application developers for iOS need to specifically implement support for the URI/URL method, in order to launch their application from other applications. It's trivial to do so, but it is best to contact the application developer to request the information in cases where the information may not be readily available.

Kaleidescape have published the information within their 'Integrating with Kaleidescape' document, which is available here:
http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/do...p-for-iPad.pdf

In short, to launch the Kaledescape application from a link in TPControl use:

TPCURL-kscape://

This can be implemented either on a buttons properties for 'command port: 0 - loopback port', or issued as a send_command from code.

You may have missed this from earlier in the thread:
"Application developers for iOS need to specifically implement support for the URI/URL method, in order to launch their application from other applications."

For example, Kaleidescape support the URL application launch method in their iOS application and publish the syntax in their documentation.
Other developers of iOS applications may or may not provide a method e.g Sonos currently do not. However, in the case where a method does not exist, a "hack" is mentioned in this Sonos thread here: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=18409 (page 2)

It is typically trivial for developers to add support in iOS, so if you contact the manufacturer for details, they should be able to tell you whether they provide support or not.

TPControl can launch any application that supports the method, using the TPCURL command.

Android applications can inherently be launched without the developer needing to add support. The challenge is in determining the URL if not published, but again if unsure the best idea is to contact the developer.

In summary,
- iOS: a URL may or may not exist - contact application developer for confirmation
- Android: a URL method will exist - contact application developer for details

pippin
2012-11-25, 03:31
I'm pretty sure SqueezePad already has that.
I'm not 100% sure what it uses, I'd guess it's "squeezepad:"

iPeng also supports handing over a URL, don't know whether that's possible with SqueezePad, too, but starting the App should work.

HK-Steve
2012-11-25, 05:09
That is great news, I will try and let you know.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

bluegaspode
2012-11-25, 05:31
starting the App works with the squeezepad:// url

vining
2012-12-26, 06:43
starting the App works with the squeezepad:// url
Now if we could add in commands that would allow us to choose the approprate server that would be sweet. If I have a VortexBox config'd with 3 softsqueeze players and I want to launch SqueezePad from from my TPC (touch panel control) apps, which I'm sure is what HK-Steve was getting at, I would also want to be able to specify the softsqueeze server in order to match the audio zone source control button from which I would be calling the squeezepad:// command.

iPeng has the ability to add commands to their string but has yet not added the ability to choose the player in this launch string. You could be the first! :)

talvola
2012-12-29, 14:47
Sorry if I already posted this, but would love to be able to add a URL to the playlist, so if I see an MP3 on a website, I can cut and paste to start playing. Similar to IPeng or ex.fm

allisong
2013-01-06, 11:26
Hi,

I am using this app with my home music system (7 players) and want to give it to others in the house to use also. However, for some of the household "users" there are menu options that I would like to disable so it is kept very simple for them.

Please consider enhancing the app to hide any of the menu items (as per SB3).

Frans1000
2013-01-16, 14:19
First of all compliments for best app Im using on the Ipad. One small but probably complex request. What I really like about spotify is the option of tunewiki. I know lyrics are included in squeezepad via a browser option but that is rather cumbersome to retrieve those.

Some kind of lyrics integration would be fantastic but can imagine it is hard to have it further integrated. Besides this not a lot to complain.

Rgds

Frans

bluegaspode
2013-01-18, 04:35
Thanks all for your suggestions.

Right now I'm planning to port some features of my new App SonoPad back to SqueezePad.
This will get you faster menus (those that are uncached) and in the players popup you will be able to control the volume of all Squeezeboxes.

jeffstake
2013-05-24, 06:25
In my version of squeezepad, when I view the playlist, it covers up the play-pause and forward buttons. If this has not been fixed, could you delete the last item on the playlist so that it does not cover up the play button at the bottom? I like to keep the list in front of me, along with the pause button.

bluegaspode
2013-05-25, 15:21
In my version of squeezepad, when I view the playlist, it covers up the play-pause and forward buttons. If this has not been fixed, could you delete the last item on the playlist so that it does not cover up the play button at the bottom? I like to keep the list in front of me, along with the pause button.

I'm afraid, right now it's not planned to change the playlist windows behaviour.

Typically you don't need the skip/prev buttons, as you have the playlist in front of you and can directly change the song.
For stopping you have to close the playlist window indeed.

barrygordon
2015-12-14, 12:38
Hi Stefan,

I have multiple players and Squeezepad runs on my gen 2 iPad. I recently bought an Amazon Echo which will connect to my iPad over Bluetooth. The Echo supports AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Protocol). If you could support that protocol on Squeezepad then I should be able to control whatever player Squeezepad is attached to by speaking to the Echo. The Echo will handle things like Play, Pause, Next, Previous, stop, resume, restart. That would be a great feature as the Amazon Echo is really taking off. I have no idea what is involved in getting control from the iPad kernel to field the commands transmitted over Bluetooth AVRCP. Amazon claims the Echo will control any player running on the iPad, but Squeezepad is a little different as in my case it is not playing the music on the ipad, but rather controlling a squeeze player. I know there is a way to have Squeezepad play on the iPad itself and was going to see if the Echo could control that, but I don't remember how to do that as it is not in the Player list. I never use the iPads to play music from the Squeeze server as the audio quality is terrible.

willdebeest
2018-11-11, 13:25
Is it possible to display the sample frequency and word length in the 'now playing' information (eg. 24 bit 96 kHz) ?