PDA

View Full Version : Announcing SqueezePad - the first dedicated iPad App to controll your SqueezeBoxen !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

bluegaspode
2010-07-19, 16:20
Hi first time readers.
A long time has passed since this very first announcement of SqueezePad, more than 10 feature und bugfix versions followed in the meantime in just 6 month - and now SqueezePad even support music playback. Be sure to visit my website www.squeezepad.com, to read the latest feature set.
The beginning of this thread is really outdated by now.

Hi guys ! Today is the time to officially announce the availability of 'SqueezePad' - your iPad App to control your SqueezeBoxen from the iPad.
Avaible on the iTunes Store here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/squeezepad/id380003002
Or visit YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TqeUJlC4) or my Home-Page to get more infos: www.squeezepad.com

The current version gives you the following features:

switch players instantly
see cover art of the currently playing song for each player
control volume and play/pause of each device
skip or rewind the current song
navigate through the menus of the player
- its the 'original' menus as you already know from your devices, so you'll find your way instantly
- swiping right or tapping the title gets you up in the menu hierarchy
- long touch on the title brings you back to the home menu
- touching the album art icon starts playing the album
- long touch a menu-item brings up the context menu (if available) - this allows you for instance to put songs/albums to the end of the current playlist
long touch the big album art on the right brings up the context menu for the current playlist item
full integration of 3rd Party Plugins and Logitech Apps: Last.FM, Spotify, Napster, Pandora, Queen, Album Review, Biography ...
album and songlist have an alphabetical index for faster navigation
you can see the current playlist for the current player under 'my music' (it's the playlist menu as known from the Squeezebox-Touch)
'Screensafer Mode' (huge coverart, huge fonts in landscape and portrait) by tapping the cover art on the right
full Squeezebox-Settings menu: even change your alarms right from your iPad
support for authenticated servers
(optional) prevent sleep when playing

Take your chance to vote for the next bigger feature of SqueezePad: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575

pippin
2010-07-19, 23:18
Nice. But is there a way to NOT have a rotated keyboard overlaying the server configuration screen? Auto correction is enabled on that entry field and mangles my URL and since it's behind that keyboard I can't keep it from doing so.

pippin
2010-07-19, 23:22
Ah, and could you add support for authentication?

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 00:21
Nice. But is there a way to NOT have a rotated keyboard overlaying the server configuration screen? Auto correction is enabled on that entry field and mangles my URL and since it's behind that keyboard I can't keep it from doing so.
Rotated keyboard? the keyboard never overlayed the textfield for me, but I'll have a look.

Ah, and could you add support for authentication?

Put on the next-bugfix-release-list.

pippin
2010-07-20, 00:38
Rotated keyboard? the keyboard never overlayed the textfield for me, but I'll have a look.

It's always like that for me.
I think the problem is you launch the App in landscape mode but the modal view is portrait yet the underlying windows are still in landscape.

pippin
2010-07-20, 00:41
OK, found out about what it is, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Turn your iPad to portrait.
2. Enable rotation lock (that's it!)
3. Launch SqueezePad.

RBM
2010-07-20, 01:24
Interesting development... A little rough around the edges and lacking functionality, but quite usable already. I quite like the swipe navigation though the left menu. Maybe add room for some shortcuts somewhere? Long touch for getting back to 'Home' works well, but it would be nice to be able to quick-jump to other items as well.

Using the Spotify plugin, album art is showing in the album lists (great!) - for some reason iPeng does not. Not too fond of using different font sizes in lists - kind of disturbs the clean user interface.

Oh - and please lose that gradient background for something solid or greyish (or make it user configurable)...

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 01:40
lacking functionality
Shouldn't be worse than your Logitech Gadget :D. I'll do a poll this evening to ask for the next big features.

Using the Spotify plugin, album art is showing in the album lists (great!) - for some reason iPeng does not.

Good to know ! Cover art should be present in all menus where the Logitech devices show them as well

Not too fond of using different font sizes in lists - kind of disturbs the clean user interface.
My wife said the same and suggested scrolling menu entries to keep the fontsizes. I then replied that it would mean two other nights of developing and that I wasn't sure if the result would look better. Other ideas than scrolling ?

erland
2010-07-20, 02:03
This is great!

I realized you were up to something when I saw the thread in the 3rd party plugins section earlier but I didn't expect something like this. Really great work, a lot better/more than I expected for an initial release.

I'm going to create a longer list of enhancement requests (and maybe some bug reports) a bit later, I just need to use it a bit more first.

Some bugs and other things I noticed immediately:
- Would be great to have a "back" button on the navigation menu, will make it more similar to other apps. I realized pretty fast that I have to be able to slide back but making the title as a back button can't hurt. I also think it would be a bit user friendly as sliding back sometimes misses, especially in lists which can be scrolled vertically.
- There seems to be some issues with the Custom Browse menus regarding album art that isn't perfect yet, have to investigate a bit more what differs compared to SqueezePlay and iPeng. I really happy they are working as good as they are though. The problem I saw was that I got album cover icons on track level but it showed the default album cover and not the real one. The standard browse menu track menus doesn't contain any album cover.
- Is there some way to show current playlist ?
- I'd love to have a portrait mode that showed big album cover and a bit larger text so it's visible from the couch 2-3 meters away.

Anyway, really great work, it's worth every cent, I'd definitely recommend this to anyone having an iPad. Just have to decide if I should give it a 5 or 4 star rating in the AppStore, I think I'll wait a bit to give you a chance to convince me it's worth a 5 through some bug fixing and enhancing it even further :-)

pippin
2010-07-20, 02:05
For some reasons most Albums on Napster have no content. Some do.
This is with SBS 7.5

mherger
2010-07-20, 03:01
This is with SBS 7.5

Test or production mysb.com?

pippin
2010-07-20, 04:25
Test or production mysb.com?

Prod.

dem
2010-07-20, 09:12
Very nice! I've been waiting for something like this since the iPad was announced. I find it quite fast and responsive. I've tried it controlling a Receiver, Boom, SB3, and SqueezePlay/Mac, playing from My Music, Pandora, Rhapsody, Slacker, and Radio Paradise. Everything works great.

Here are my comments and suggestions so far.

I'd like to see the following options:

Prevent display sleep when playing.
Darker background (perhaps with a texture).

The icon looks a little ratty on the iPad screen (the frame border is jagged). I'm also not a fan of lilac, or whatever that light purplish color is that's all over the place. :-)

I agree about using a consistent font size in lists, as suggested before. This bugs me on the Controller as well.

It would be nice to see the playlist count when relevant (X of YY).

In long alphabetized lists it would be handy to be able to jump to a given letter, as you can in the iPhone's iPod app.

I agree about providing an arrow for moving back on menus, as suggested before. The backwards swipe is not so obvious because the menu window doesn't move horizontally as you're starting to swipe. I like the behavior of the article window in Reeder, for example, where the window starts to move as you swipe back, but there's also a back arrow if you don't want to swipe at all.

I think it would be nice if the control buttons mirrored those of SqueezePlay. Whether or not you do this, it could behave like SqueezePlay and provide buttons for Shuffle and Repeat, except when using Pandora where these buttons are Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, or when using Slacker where these buttons are Add Favorite and Remove Favorite. SqueezePlay also dims the Next and Shuffle buttons when there's only a single song in the playlist. The little "i" could go in the bar across the top to make room.

This is a real nitpick, but I think it would look better if the control button panel didn't run off the bottom of the screen.

The volume slider can be adjusted on a player where the digital output is fixed at 100% (but the slider of course has no effect).

And speaking of SqueezePlay again, it has icons for the top-level menu items that perhaps you could use.

If you hit search but don't enter anything and then press the button to hide the keyboard, I think the menu should go back instead of forward.

I'll certainly vote in any feature polls you post.

What is it about quality Squeezebox control and Berlin? :-)

Thanks!

pippin
2010-07-20, 09:26
What is it about quality Squeezebox control and Berlin? :-)

Good SW developers here. Lots of Squeezebox users.

A friend of mine happens to be the original author of the Handheld skin, didn't learn about that until I had already made the iPeng App (although I think he was the person suggesting getting an SB in the first place and he was also probably not yet lining in Berlin when he did that skin).

It's a small world.

RBM
2010-07-20, 09:44
Just tried it at the home setup (Touch, Radio, Receiver): local library and radio play fine on all three, Spotify plugin browsing is OK, but will not play on any of them.

pippin
2010-07-20, 09:56
Another one: Did I mention you can't change the alarm volume?

entwistlej
2010-07-20, 09:59
Like it. Very slick. Only improvements I can think of are a) playlist view and b) ability to play individual tracks.

John.

Kalanthes
2010-07-20, 10:43
Top app!

++Big Covers
+mirrored covers, wonderfull!! (i hope the Translation is correct)
+only iPad app ;)

-i cant find the current playlist :(
-can i Change the Background in the Future? I would like black (like iPhoto)
--an Index as scrolling bar, for fast jumping to letters (like iPhone adressbook, a..b..c..d..)

Sorry for my bad english :/

erland
2010-07-20, 12:53
Using the Spotify plugin, album art is showing in the album lists (great!) - for some reason iPeng does not.

Are you able to play something on Spotify in SqueezePad ? I can browse but nothing seems to happen when I select something to be played in the Spotify menu. It works perfectly through the normal web interface.

RBM
2010-07-20, 13:06
Nope, does not play - see my post above. This morning I was just flicking through the interface while at work, but cheered too early, I guess.

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 14:10
Hi SqueezePad Early Adopters :D

I'm very enthusiastic that you seem to like the App and didn't find any severe issues yet.
Thanks a lot for all your valueable input that I'll comment on in this posting.

In the meantime I set up a bug-tracking system (www.stagessound.de/squeezepad) where you can see progress on different parts and have a preview on fixed issues of the next version.

The following issues are fixed in version v1.2.0 already submitted to Apple for review. This typically takes about 10 days currently.

- There seems to be some issues with the Custom Browse menus regarding album art that isn't perfect yet, have to investigate a bit more what differs compared to SqueezePlay and iPeng. I really happy they are working as good as they are though. The problem I saw was that I got album cover icons on track level but it showed the default album cover and not the real one. The standard browse menu track menus doesn't contain any album cover.
- Is there some way to show current playlist ?
- I cant find the current playlist
- In long alphabetized lists it would be handy to be able to jump to a given letter, as you can in the iPhone's iPod app.
- an Index as scrolling bar, for fast jumping to letters (like iPhone adressbook, a..b..c..d..)

I added a playlist menu item in the 'my music' menu. Its the menu you know from the Squeezebox Touch.
Also in album and artists menu (and all other that provide index information) you'll get section headers and a ribbon for fast navigation to any place you like. Along with this there will be support for context menu (i.e. for basic playlist management). The context menus also give access to many of the features from erlands plugins.

I'll try to address the following issues in a v1.2.1 release.

- Ah, and could you add support for authentication?
- Would be great to have a "back" button on the navigation menu, will make it more similar to other apps. I realized pretty fast that I have to be able to slide back but making the title as a back button can't hurt. I also think it would be a bit user friendly as sliding back sometimes misses, especially in lists which can be scrolled vertically.
- I agree about providing an arrow for moving back on menus, as suggested before. The backwards swipe is not so obvious because the menu window doesn't move horizontally as you're starting to swipe. I like the behavior of the article window in Reeder, for example, where the window starts to move as you swipe back, but there's also a back arrow if you don't want to swipe at all.
- Prevent display sleep when playing.
- The volume slider can be adjusted on a player where the digital output is fixed at 100% (but the slider of course has no effect).
- If you hit search but don't enter anything and then press the button to hide the keyboard, I think the menu should go back instead of forward.
- Spotify plugin browsing is OK, but will not play on any of them.
- Did I mention you can't change the alarm volume?

I plan to finish this v1.2.1 release first week of august (so in two weeks). Add again 10 days for apples review and if everything works out it will come out around 19th of august. You can watch the progress of this release here: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/roadmap_page.php?version_id=1

Some comments though to the Back Button: I don't want to spoil the interface with too many buttons here and there (yet). I'll implement that tapping the menu-title will go one level up. Along with the swiping (which can be done on the title as well if one gets in trouble with the table scrolling) this should give enough options for easy navigation.

The following issues I put in the backlog for later evaluation so that I won't forget these things.
All backlog items are tracked here: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/roadmap_page.php?version_id=2

- Not too fond of using different font sizes in lists - kind of disturbs the clean user interface.
- I'd love to have a portrait mode that showed big album cover and a bit larger text so it's visible from the couch 2-3 meters away.
- Darker background (perhaps with a texture).
- Oh - and please lose that gradient background for something solid or greyish (or make it user configurable)...
- can i Change the Background in the Future? I would like black (like iPhoto)
- I think it would be nice if the control buttons mirrored those of SqueezePlay. Whether or not you do this, it could behave like SqueezePlay and provide buttons for Shuffle and Repeat, except when using Pandora where these buttons are Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, or when using Slacker where these buttons are Add Favorite and Remove Favorite. SqueezePlay also dims the Next and Shuffle buttons when there's only a single song in the playlist. The little "i" could go in the bar across the top to make room.

Just one further comment: Shuffle + Repeat options are available in the settings-menu already. But having extra icons of course would be a nice to add.

This is with SBS 7.5
Does SqueezePlay show the album art ? If yes and SqueezePad lacks the album art, can you get my the cometd-log of the respective menu ?
Tracked with this issue: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/view.php?id=4

And speaking of SqueezePlay again, it has icons for the top-level menu items that perhaps you could use.
Currently (unfortunately) that's not possible. The images are copyrighted by logitech (and cannot be downloaded 'on the fly' from the server). Licensing of SqueezePlay currently demands to ask for written permission by logitech I might try that some time.

Finally: I started a poll for the next bigger features - don't forget to vote ! http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575

rocketdmc
2010-07-20, 14:57
I can't seem to get it to connect to the server. I'm using 7.5.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. The IP is 192.168.1.108:9000. I enter the IP in click on done and get a "SqueezeboxServer disconnected" flashing message.

-----------
Never working now. I guess it needed to be restarted

pippin
2010-07-20, 15:02
Does SqueezePlay show the album art ? If yes and SqueezePad lacks the album art, can you get my the cometd-log of the respective menu ?
Tracked with this issue: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/view.php?id=4

Not art. Artwork is there, it's the content that's missing. If you open the album.

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 15:43
Not art. Artwork is there, it's the content that's missing. If you open the album.
Strange. I don't have a napster account so I don't know how the server is generating the menu.
For debugging purposes I'd need the
- cometd-menu response for the album list
- the cometd-request when you click an album
- and as a reference the cometd request when you try the same album with squeezeplay.

Just attach the whole server log (with network.cometd-debugging enabled) and give me the album name as reference - i can figure out the rest myself I guess.

pippin
2010-07-20, 16:24
Just attach the whole server log (with network.cometd-debugging enabled) and give me the album name as reference - i can figure out the rest myself I guess.

I can figure out the right data, that's not a problem.
But I have to wait until I'm near a server I can use without authentication again, all my main ones use it and have to.
Gimme a day or two.

Steve Agnew
2010-07-20, 18:20
I'm pleased an alphabetic tab bar is on it's way. Could you implement a search control at the top of the lists like the one in the iPad Address Book?

Regards, Steve.

MadFloyd
2010-07-20, 19:14
I bought the app today and cannot connect to my squeezebox server.

My IP is a local address (10.0.1.11) instead of the typical 192.xxx.xxx.xx and wonder if that's the problem.

I'm running Win XPx32 and Squeezeserver 7.5.1

Would really appreciate some help. I can use iPeng just fine (it doesn't even ask for IP addresses, it just finds the players on the network).

Thanks!

bluegaspode
2010-07-20, 22:38
your ip shouldn't be the problem.
Please try to contact your server with safari (from the iPad). Does it show the home page if you surf to 10.0.1.11:9000 ?

If not check the following:
- is your iPad connected via Wifi right now (mine is dropping the WiFi connection every two hours, that's the main reason when I cannot connect). Guess this should improve with the new iPad firmware, which I didn't install yet
- if your iPad is connected via 3G I guess it also can't connect to your local server - but you would find it with the safari trick mentioned above.
- don't forget to configure the ip together with the port

erland
2010-07-20, 23:59
Some additional enhancement requests. I know this list contains stuff that won't be implemented for a while and maybe never, I'm just posting it to give you some ideas how the application could be improved.

When viewing tracks for a compilation album, I would like to see the artist and not just the track name and number.

Is there any chance you can implement support for artist images ? I've used LastFM artist images in my Song Info plugin for a while and they seems to work pretty good. The LastFM API is XML based, so you can either call this directly from your application or you can use the JSON command provided by the Song Info plugin. Let me know if you want more information about the Song Info plugin interface and I'll provide you with the details. The Song Info images is available in the context menu of an artist if you like to test how good they are. On my Touch I'm currently using a Custom Clock screen saver that rotates around the LastFM artist images provided by LastFM for the current artist, makes the display a lot more interesting than just showing the the same album cover all the time.

When implementing the context menu, it would be great if it was possible to launch it for both artist, album and track on the currently playing track. You might already have implemented this in the 1.2.0 version, I'm just mention it in case you haven't.

It would be great to have some quick way to get to the top level menu or as an alternative have toolbar buttons to access the most important menus but that might clutter the interface a bit.

Viewing large images through Michael's Picture Gallery plugin doesn't seem to work, it's just sitting there and trying to load the image for ever. The thumbnails in the parent menu did work.

I wonder if would be nicer if the disconnected server disclaimer was some kind of screen saver screen instead of that big disclaimer, maybe just a big clock ? The case I'm thinking of is a server that likes to hibernate/suspend when it isn't used. I'm not even sure if this will work, maybe it won't even suspend if SqueezePad is connected to it ?

I'm not sure if you want to support this but I'm mention it just in case. The TrackStat menus provides three rows of data, only the two upper rows are shown, the play count row is never shown. Of course, this menu really only looks nice on iPeng today, it looks pretty bad on SqueezePlay which tries to display all three rows but uses too large font.

Ideally, I would like a global search feature accessible from a magnifying glass icon somewhere on the screen, but I'm not sure how much implementation something like that requires. One search string should find both artists, albums and tracks that matches the specified search criteria.

Cover flow. Besides the obvious use case to browse your albums this could probably also be used for point 2 (artist images) and point 5 (Picture Gallery plugin) and point 12 (Flickr) mentioned elsewhere in this list.

A album wall that displays all albums as small icons, similar as the the "Large Artwork" display option in the Albums menu in the SBS web interface.

Fast access to favorites/presets or whatever they are called these days. This might be less important if point 4 described above is implemented since the "Favorites" menu is available in the top level menu.

The "My Apps/Flickr" isn't able to display large images, nothing happens when you click on a thumbnail image.

It feels like I would like to be able to hide the menu and use that screen space for something else when using SqueezePad in "screen saver mode" when it's sitting in the docking station and isn't used for selecting new music. Maybe displaying song lyrics, album reviews or artist biography or just use it to display the artist, album and track title with a bit larger font. Song lyrics, album reviews and biography are available through third party plugins (Song Lyrics, Album Review, Biography) so I'm not sure if you like to avoid integrating to tight with third party stuff. I'm basically just mention this since the menu part of the screen often feels pretty useless when the iPad isn't used for selecting new music.

When long text is displayed it shortens them with a "..." in the middle, would be great if there was some way to display the complete text.

Server auto detection similar to what I believe iPeng supports would be nice, will probably avoid some questions from non technical users who just have plugged in their computer and Squeezebox on their network and have no idea what an IP address is. Showing a list of available servers with the possibility to specify one manually should make it a lot easier for these users.

A screen saver mode where you can configure what information to show would be really great, maybe implementing something that supports the Custom Clock configuration or something similar. I've actually though about doing something like this myself but I'm not sure how useful it would be as a standalone application without the possibility to also browse your library.

I think the other stuff I've been thinking of already has been mentioned.

Once again, I really love SqueezePad and I'm really impressed by your work, as soon as a release with the context menus and Spotify play command is available it's going to be my preferred way of controlling my Squeezeboxes. The only problem now is that I've realized that some of my album covers doesn't have enough resolution to look as good as they could.

I'm sorry about this pippin, but viewing my Squeezebox library on the large iPad screen in high resolution beats the current low resolution iPeng app even if iPeng has a bit more features. However, my hope is that we will soon see some competition ;-)

bluegaspode, if you need help to support something by adding some third party stuff on the server side, just let me know.

pippin
2010-07-21, 01:13
Strange. I don't have a napster account so I don't know how the server is generating the menu.
For debugging purposes I'd need the
- cometd-menu response for the album list
- the cometd-request when you click an album
- and as a reference the cometd request when you try the same album with squeezeplay.

Looks that server was a beta and pointed to test.mysb.com so Michael's assumption applies :)

achjimmy
2010-07-21, 02:09
Hi looks like a great app, I am running 7.3 SC on a readyNas do I need to update it? Is the later versions stable?

flattermann
2010-07-21, 02:21
Hi looks like a great app, I am running 7.3 SC on a readyNas do I need to update it? Is the later versions stable?

Yes, 7.4.3 and 7.5.1 are pretty stable.

SqueezePad probably needs at least SBS 7.4 because it uses the SqueezePlay menus in many places and these were not really supported in SBS 7.3.

achjimmy
2010-07-21, 03:01
Yes, 7.4.3 and 7.5.1 are pretty stable.

SqueezePad probably needs at least SBS 7.4 because it uses the SqueezePlay menus in many places and these were not really supported in SBS 7.3.

Thanks, I ll upgrade SC in the Nas. BTW I will have look on the NAS forum but does any one know if the upgrade link from within the NasDuo works or you gotta go through the process of removing the old version etc?

Jim

pippin
2010-07-21, 04:21

Oh yes, they were supported since 7.0!
They did change quite a bit, though since 7.3...

gellie
2010-07-21, 05:54
Finally a squeezebox remote app for my ipad! What took so long!

bluegaspode
2010-07-21, 06:15
Finally a squeezebox remote app for my ipad! What took so long!

Me, having a family, a job, Plants vs. Zombies and only really having free time between 20:00 and 03:00 :D

bluegaspode
2010-07-21, 06:17

I'd recommend upgrading. Never tested against 7.3 and I am also not planning to currently.

bluegaspode
2010-07-21, 14:32
Some additional enhancement requests. I know this list contains stuff that won't be implemented for a while and maybe never, I'm just posting it to give you some ideas how the application could be improved.
Thanks a lot its always good to get some inspiration - I'll definitely put it all in the backlog to analyse after the next major feature from the poll (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575) has been implemented.

I know its hard that in the poll you can only vote for exactly one feature ... but as I only have two hands its only fair that everyone has to cope with the tough decision.
At least: as as soon as the most wanted feature is implemented everyone will be allowed to vote for the second most important feature ;)

Some comments though to some points:

Is there any chance you can implement support for artist images ?
This will be covered by option #1 "More images of your music collection" in my poll (my favourite by the way). I use your album flow applet together with artist images and they are really good indeed.

I somehow dream of an interface like the photos app starting when you click the album artwork - automatically fetching the Last.FM pictures of the current artist. Then while you are listening you can explore great concert pics and other matching fotos.

Viewing large images through Michael's Picture Gallery plugin doesn't seem to work, it's just sitting there and trying to load the image for ever. The thumbnails in the parent menu did work.
[...]
The "My Apps/Flickr" isn't able to display large images, nothing happens when you click on a thumbnail image.

This would also be covered with option #1 from the poll: When I have a screen to show (many) big pictures I would also show all 'slideshow-menus' in there.
There are some slideshows around here and there in SqueezePlay: in the Queen App, the Flickr App, your song-info context-menu on SqueezePlay enters a slideshow and I guess Michael's Picture Gallery is the same type as well.
Currently all these are just rendered like an album-menu: (too small) picture left, title right. Tapping currently does nothing.
So vote #1 to see this covered.

When implementing the context menu, it would be great if it was possible to launch it for both artist, album and track on the currently playing track.
It's currently implemented to show the playlist context-menu of the current playing song. All other options were too difficult because of all the different types of media that could be playing. Using the playlist context-menu entry is a nice generic solution.

It would be great to have some quick way to get to the top level menu or as an alternative have toolbar buttons to access the most important menus but that might clutter the interface a bit.

Long press on the menu-title gets you instantly back to the home menu (yeah its a bit hidden but covered in all descriptions I wrote). Two taps away are the artist + album list. One tap away the favourites.
I'm thinking of providing quick links to albums and artist but am yet afraid to clutter the interface. I just hate buttons around everywhere. Maybe some small panel which can move in from the bottom on demand.

The TrackStat menus provides three rows of data, only the two upper rows are shown, the play count row is never shown
This would be covered with option #6 from the poll "TrackStat Ratings"

Ideally, I would like a global search feature accessible from a magnifying glass icon somewhere on the screen [...]
vote for #9 "Better Search" :D

A album wall that displays all albums as small icons, similar as the the "Large Artwork" display option in the Albums menu in the SBS web interface.
vote for #8 "Album Art Only Screen"

When long text is displayed it shortens them with a "..." in the middle, would be great if there was some way to display the complete text.
Damn - if the iPad was a computer we had tooltips :D
Two other guys already mentioned that they don't like different font size.
One option would be to provide scrolling textfields everywhere which would solve these issues. I take your point as one more vote for such a solution.

Thanks again for all these suggestions !

achjimmy
2010-07-23, 03:02
I'd recommend upgrading. Never tested against 7.3 and I am also not planning to currently.

Yeah I might give it a go mate but there seems to be some issues with SC 7.5 slowing the NasDuo up considerably! For now ipeng is doing all I need, but I bought your app to help support you, good luck.

Jim

bluegaspode
2010-07-23, 04:54
Is it working at all with 7.3 ? Or no success ?

kesey
2010-07-23, 05:25
Hi bluegaspode, congrats on getting the app out for the iPad.

It has picked up my Squeezebox Boom, but there's no sign of my Squeezebox Touch: Squeezepad only picks up 1 player, of the 2 listed below.

Version: 7.6.0 - r31084 @ Wed Jul 21 02:04:34 PDT 2010
Hostname: debian
IP: 192.168.15.110
HTTP Port: 9000
Platform: armv5tel-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.1 - arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.29 (sqlite 3.6.22)
Total Players Recognized: 2

How do I get Squeezepad to find my Touch? I can't find anything on your menus to get Squeezepad to do a search.

Otherwise, Squeezepad is working fine - it is a little unexciting as yet but I hope that over time you will develop it to make more use of the iPad's capabilities.

Update: I turned on the Touch manually with its remote, restarted Squeezepad (having confirmed in the meantime that iPeng was picking up both players), and it then found both the Boom and the Touch. The place to look is under Settings, Advanced, Squeezebox Information.

Note: I find all the right flicking to be a right nuisance. Most apps will respond to a gentle flick. Is a side benefit major muscle development of the fingers?

bluegaspode
2010-07-23, 06:26
Good to hear you got it working !
If a device is (completely) off for a longer time it isn't registered with the server anymore (happens to me sometimes with the Controller when it shuts off). If you turn it on then it should appear again in the menu - a restart shouldn't be necessary (but of course sometimes still helps).

But the Touch actually should only be in Soft-Off I guess and never disappear.
Please observe the behaviour - if it happens again please check:
- is it still showing on the WebUI (if not it won't be visible in SqueezePad as well) ?

Note: I find all the right flicking to be a right nuisance. Most apps will respond to a gentle flick. Is a side benefit major muscle development of the fingers?

Hmm- I'm using the official Apple API to recognize the swipe gestures - there's nothing to finetune to recognize a 'gentle' flick :(.
The first bugfix version which will be submitted to Apple soon will allow you to tap the title of a menu if you don't like swiping. Also remember that a long press (already in the current version) will go directly to the home menu, which might make some swipes unecessary.

pippin
2010-07-23, 06:33
I've had an issue with 7.6, too, a few times when some players were only being reported in the serverstatus but never delivered a playerstatus although they were fully connected and even playing.
They were reported by the Web UI but neither iPeng nor my Controller could use them.
Restarting the server fixed it.

Edit: I see iPeng reported the players, then it must be a different issue.

bluegaspode
2010-07-23, 07:19
I'm watching serverstatus messages only (for the list of players). So if players are connected to a different server than the one configured in SqueezePad I wouldn't show them (maybe the Touch was connected to MySB.com or its own internal server ?).

Anyway - I don't officially support the 7.6 beta server yet, so I can always take this as an excuse for every strange side effect :D

achjimmy
2010-07-23, 07:26

Just tried it briefly before bed (Sydney time) and it just got to the "connecting to server" screen and stayed there for heaps, does it take a while to cache or should it load up pretty quick?

Jim

bluegaspode
2010-07-23, 09:01
Just tried it briefly before bed (Sydney time) and it just got to the "connecting to server" screen and stayed there for heaps, does it take a while to cache or should it load up pretty quick?
Jim

The 'server disconnected' message should disappear within a second, everything (i.e. syncing the and nowplaying-part) after should also not take more than some tiny seconds.

So seems you won't have luck with 7.3, I'm sorry.

rocketdmc
2010-07-23, 13:53

Jim

Jim

I had the same issue. I had to exit the app, run Safari, close Safari and run SqueezePad. Worked OK after that.

achjimmy
2010-07-23, 14:33
Jim

I had the same issue. I had to exit the app, run Safari, close Safari and run SqueezePad. Worked OK after that.

Thanks Dave

Just goes into "loading players" and does not awake. Will have a play later. Reading more it seems that the nasduo with 7.5 runs ok just the interface/scanning is slow?

BTW getting squeeze pad running doesn't affect ipenq does it?

pippin
2010-07-23, 14:55
works for me with 7.3.3 except for artwork which strangely sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

bluegaspode
2010-07-25, 12:17
A question to the current users:

Currently the controls to change Shuffle and Repeat are in the Settings menu of SqueezePad (like on all SB-devices). Do you think they should be promoted with some icons to the main screen ? Do you often change these settings ? How important is this to you as a feature ?

Currently only Touch-Users have them available on the main screen already so could also talk from experience.

Kalanthes
2010-07-25, 12:48
Currently the controls to change Shuffle and Repeat are in the Settings menu of SqueezePad (like on all SB-devices). Do you think they should be promoted with some icons to the main screen ? Do you often change these settings ? How important is this to you as a feature ? experience.

Not so often, once per playlist.
I don't need icons.

rocketdmc
2010-07-25, 13:29
A question to the current users:

Currently the controls to change Shuffle and Repeat are in the Settings menu of SqueezePad (like on all SB-devices). Do you think they should be promoted with some icons to the main screen ? Do you often change these settings ? How important is this to you as a feature ?

Currently only Touch-Users have them available on the main screen already so could also talk from experience.

I rarely use Shuffle and have never used Repeat. I would vote to leave tem in Settings.

dem
2010-07-25, 18:31
Web UI and SqueezePlay users get buttons for both. Controller users get icons at the bottom of the screen. Boom and Classic users can get icons with the Music Information Screen plugin.

erland
2010-07-25, 21:29

I never change them.
I don't have any use for them on the main screen.

I think this might depend a bit on how people use their Squeezebox. I suspect people that play their music by selecting saved playlists or by selecting individual albums might have a bit more use for these functions, especially the shuffle function. Personally I mostly play my music through my various dynamic playlists through Dynamic Playlist/SQL Playlist plugins and then these functions are useless.

I suspect shuffle is more important than repeat and I suspect it's more important to see the indicators than actually be able to change them.

ccdalla
2010-07-26, 07:04
Chalk up another happy user- was having some beers with a buddy (whom I turned on to the Squeezebox about a year ago, and who also has an iPad) a few days ago, and we were both musing about what a great controller the iPad would make...decided, on a whim, to do a search yesterday, and bam, there you were.

I'm also gratified to see that all the things I can see as shortcomings have already been addressed by others (so I know I'm not just a whiner), but I'll enumerate them here just so you'll see them as votes for the individual issues- and apologies if some of this stuff is already in: I didn't have a lot of time to play with it yesterday.

-Cached artist/album info. For me, music is about instant gratification. This was the feature that got my vote for "next big feature".

-Playlist management. If I weren't as big on instant gratification as I am, this would've gotten my vote. Something nice would be "+" and "+ next" buttons on each individual track and album displayed (without having to bring up a context menu) to quickly add to the end of the playlist or force them to play next. Also, having an option to force a context menu to come up if a song is already playing when a track/album is just tapped would be great: I don't know how many times I've killed off a song I was playing because I absentmindedly just clicked the center button on the controller. Another thing that would be huge would be a small window in one corner that shows a view into the next maybe 3 or 5 tracks on the playlist as well as the total number of tracks.

-"alphabet slider" for scrolling through artist/album list- as others have already pointed out, swiping through to "S" in a big collection can be tiresome at best. I find the one that's used on the "TouchTunes" jukeboxes commonly found in bars here in the U.S. to be very good. For that matter, their entire UI (including their search mechanism) is pretty good, since it's engineered to allow drunk people to find the music they want- if you don't know how their UI works, but would like to, shoot me an email at ccdalla at technologist dot com and I'll see what I can do.

-Cover flow. As UIs go, I'd found that the notion of cover flow is more polarizing than most others- some people just deal with it intuitively, but others just hate it. Me, I think it's got its time and its place, so it should be something that can be brought up on demand.

Again, well done- as this application evolves, I can see it being something that induces me to buying another iPad to dedicate to this function.

-c

bluegaspode
2010-07-26, 07:29
Hi ccdalla - good to hear about a happy user :D. This makes me work even harder on the next releases !
Don't forget to vote in iTunes as well (after the next update comes out) to spread the word.

As you can see two of your top points (caching + playlist) management are on the todo list already and are done in order of the priorities from my poll (http://www.infoq.com/articles/scrum-management-deemer).
Currently looks like playlist management comes first, but Caching is still in the Top4 :D

Your "alphabet slider" is finished for over two weeks now - and I'm gnawing my teeth that the next update is still "Waiting for Review" from Apple. Hope it will go through finally this week and the world will be happier again as such a simple feature really makes the App MUCH better.

tongem
2010-07-26, 07:52
just downloaded Squeezepad onto my ipad and all seems to be working ok with my own music library on squeezeserver and a Duet receiver. However when going into Napster it will search tracks but when you try to select tracks to play the app has no affect.

I'm using Squeezebox server version 7.5.1

Any ideas ?

Jeff Flowerday
2010-07-26, 08:33
Does Squeezepad support UserId/Password protection?

pippin
2010-07-26, 08:34

currently not

bluegaspode
2010-07-26, 11:05
However when going into Napster it will search tracks but when you try to select tracks to play the app has no affect
A similar issue was reported for Spotify menus which I fixed yesterday. Currently I'm trying to get a Beta-Built to erland to have verified that it is fixed. Not very easy to install an App outside the AppStore though, we are still struggling.

The good news: I think this could also fix the Napster issues.
If we want this verified, please enable the 'network.cometd'-debug-log on your server, navigate to the menu and then send the log to bluegaspode at gmail dot com. I can then check if its based on the same issue (or if I can fix it if its a differnt issue).

The version currently available on the App Store does not.
The good news: this issue was fixed yesterday locally so will come with the 'next' update.

Timeline I think is as follows:
Currently v1.2.0 bringing context-menus (and other stuff) is waiting for review on the App Store (for over a week). Hope this will be finished this week and pushed to the App-Store by Apple.
As soon as this is done I'll submit a bugfix release (v1.2.1) to Apple (can't submit two things at the same time, so I have to wait for the current review to finish). Apple then will need about 10days to do a review again.

So from these facts I'd say that around 11th of August the AppStore will have the version supporting server authentication and will have fixed Napster/Spotify menus.
Its very daunting that this has to be this long :( - but we are all slaves of Apple here.

Triode
2010-07-26, 13:28
A similar issue was reported for Spotify menus which I fixed yesterday. Currently I'm trying to get a Beta-Built to erland to have verified that it is fixed. Not very easy to install an App outside the AppStore though, we are still struggling.

The good news: I think this could also fix the Napster issues.
If we want this verified, please enable the 'network.cometd'-debug-log on your server, navigate to the menu and then send the log to bluegaspode at gmail dot com. I can then check if its based on the same issue (or if I can fix it if its a differnt issue).

I definately expect this to be the same issue as it would impact all xmlbrowser based playlists which will include Napster and other remote streaming services and my plugins like Spotify. Good news is your beta fixes it (see my mail!) Roll on Apple letting it out!

tongem
2010-07-26, 14:23
bluegaspode thanks for replying on the napster issue I had a look at my squeeze server and I cannot see how to enable to 'network.cometd'-debug-log please could you adivse and i will email it over.

thanks

bluegaspode
2010-07-26, 14:46
On the main screen of the Web-UI, on lower right there is a 'Settings' Button.
On the Settings Screen go to 'Advanced'(top row), there is a combobox where you should select 'Logging'.
In the big list of loggers search 'network.cometd', put it on 'debug' and Apply.

When you then view the log, don't forget to include enough lines.
10.000 is a good go, just change the URL in your browser to http://yourserver:9000/server.log?lines=10000.

Then as said surf to the Napster menu with SqueezePlay and send the log to bluegaspode at gmail dot com.

bluegaspode
2010-07-27, 15:27
Heja - Apple finally verified the first update to version 1.2.0 which should turn up on your iPads within the next 24 hours.

This update gives you the following improvements:

long touch a menu-item brings up the context menu (if available) - this allows you for instance to put songs/albums to the end of the current playlist, but also do all the other nice stuff thats hidden behind the context menus
long touch the big album art on the right also brings up the context menu for the current playlist item
album and artistlist now have an index for faster navigation
you can see the current playlist for the current player under 'my music' (it's the playlist menu as known from the Squeezebox-Touch). There you can also clear and safe the current playlist.

The next version 1.2.1 will be a bugfix/minor enhancement release to be submitted to Apple on 1st of August (add 10 days until Apple reviewed it):

Play on Spotify menus will work (with high probability this also solves the same problem with Napster menus)
support for authenticated servers
you'll have a setting option to prevent your iPad to sleep when you watch a playing device
alarm volume can be changed
no problems with portrait mode and the settings screen anymore
a short tap on the menu title will go one menu up (if you don't like the swipes)
selecting an item in the playlist will jump to this item (forgot that on the last release, sorry)

Don't forget to vote for the next wanted feature - in about two weeks I'll be starting development on the next bigger feature:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575

diamar
2010-07-27, 22:03
Just got 1.2.0, great progress. It's really a great app.

There seems to be a compatibility problem with Spicefly Sugarcube. If you try to access the settings for it, the app crashes. Not huge, but it would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.

Ron Olsen
2010-07-27, 22:06
Just installed 1.2.0 -- a big step forward for this app!

Noticed a few issues with Rhapsody:

1. Context menu does not provide option to add song or album to current playlist.
2. "Add album to library" stays stuck at spinning wheel. Album is added to library, but no indication is
given that the action has completed.

Keep up the great work!

ulvatne
2010-07-27, 23:41
Version 1.2 is much better and less buggy than the first one. Here is my bug/wishlist after the first hour of use:
- showing of artwork is missing (pretty sure that this was ok in first release)
- still no portrait mode
- playing now is now ok, should be called that name and not "current playlist". When tapping an album før playing, switching to "playing now" should be automatic.
- settings menu should be able to display/select different servers. I have a few, and can't remeber the ip addresses from time to time.
- popup menus now working, fine. External links (album review and so on) appears to be broken. Nothing happens except the rotating wait icon.
- suggest option for using a local cache on artist lista etc (look to squeemote). Squeezepad feeles really quick on all actions, though. Good!
- interface is not the most exiting i have seen. The wonderful screen of the ipad deserves more colors and fine artwork. Skins, anyone?

A very fine piece of working, keep the pace and the faith, I will be following!

erland
2010-07-27, 23:58
Regarding the "Playlists" menu, would it be possible to use the same menu format for saved playlists as "The current playlist" where not only the track title but also the artist and album and album cover is shown ?

Or does that require changes in the SBS code so it provide more information for the playlist menu ?
(SqueezePlay works the same way as SqueezePad and only displays track title info, iPeng displays album and artist but I think pippin might be using his own menu implementation for the "Lists" menu in iPeng)

As I mentioned before compilation albums have similar issues since it would be good to also on these show artist for each track.

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 01:41
Hi guys !
Thanks for your feedback - this is more than welcome. Even if I cannot fulfull every wish I think here and there anyone can get at least part of his wishes fulfilled !

Noticed a few issues with Rhapsody:

1. Context menu does not provide option to add song or album to current playlist.
2. "Add album to library" stays stuck at spinning wheel. Album is added to library, but no indication is
given that the action has completed.

1) Could you please check, if the Radio, Touch or Controller has the option to add the song to the playlist in its context menu. I'm using the original menus - if its not there it won't appear on SqueezePad too.
2) some posts above there was an instruction on how to turn on 'network.cometd'-logging on the server. With this enabled could you browse to this place and send the log to bluegaspode at gmail dot com. Then I could look into it - most probably this is a menu type I don't know so far.
Rhapsody is only available in US so I cannot test myself and need your help !

There seems to be a compatibility problem with Spicefly Sugarcube. If you try to access the settings for it, the app crashes. Not huge, but it would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.
Uhh - not good. Maybe I get the crash report if you allow iTunes to send it.
As written above a comet.d-log of the offending menu will also help.
As on sunday I want to submit the next release ther's still some time for finding and fixing bugs :D

Version 1.2 is much better and less buggy than the first one. Here is my bug/wishlist after the first hour of use:
- showing of artwork is missing (pretty sure that this was ok in first release)
- still no portrait mode
- playing now is now ok, should be called that name and not "current playlist". When tapping an album før playing, switching to "playing now" should be automatic.
- settings menu should be able to display/select different servers. I have a few, and can't remeber the ip addresses from time to time.
- popup menus now working, fine. External links (album review and so on) appears to be broken. Nothing happens except the rotating wait icon.
- suggest option for using a local cache on artist lista etc (look to squeemote). Squeezepad feeles really quick on all actions, though. Good!
- interface is not the most exiting i have seen. The wonderful screen of the ipad deserves more colors and fine artwork. Skins, anyone?

Could you please elaborate which artwork is missing ? In the menus or on the 'Now Playing' screen ? Could also doublecheck that your server is showing the artwork ? - If the Logitech devices show artwork and SqueezePad not than I'd need a cometd-log from you as well.

Portrait mode is not on my todo list right now. There was an informal poll in the thread from pippin about portrait vs. landscape and from there it looked that >75% of users prefer landscape.

Supporting multiple servers: also not on my todo list with high priority (right now) except mysqueezebox.com integration. I don't think that the majority of users have multiple servers around and that this is a very special case. Currently I assume that most users will have one server and need to go to the settings screen just once in their lifetime.
Adding automatic server discovery of course will come some time - but don't expect it this year - too many more important features come first.

External Links: do you have a sample menu which uses external links ? Never stumbled about such one (so no wonder I don't support it).
Is album review an extra plugin ?
How does the Squeezebox-Touch handle external links ? It doesn't have an integrated browser, does it ?

Local cache for artist-lists: if thats your most important point then there is an option for it in the poll :D

Skins: I'm not very talented when it comes to graphics - this simple shiny background is the best I can do ;) ... if anyone can provides sketches or rough photoshop pictures I'd be more than happy to look into them !

Regarding the "Playlists" menu, would it be possible to use the same menu format for saved playlists as "The current playlist" where not only the track title but also the artist and album and album cover is shown ?
[...]
As I mentioned before compilation albums have similar issues since it would be good to also on these show artist for each track.

My focus was to provide the original SqueezePlay menus to get the full feature set and not replace them here and there with custom variants.
So these feature request should be targeted to logitech first I think (as they make a lot of sense also outside the world of SqueezePad).

The biggest problem I think is: the server right now doesn't send the album names - and fetching them for each single menu line cannot be done in reasonable time.
When looking into the separate playlists feature I might have a look if there are special CLI commands that provide the lists with song + album name. If thats the case then maybe it would be a great way to have a custom 'saved playlists' view there as well.

erland
2010-07-28, 03:12
Uhh - not good. Maybe I get the crash report if you allow iTunes to send it.
As written above a comet.d-log of the offending menu will also help.
As on sunday I want to submit the next release ther's still some time for finding and fixing bugs :D

Regarding SugarCube, here is the cometd.log

erland
2010-07-28, 03:30
External Links: do you have a sample menu which uses external links ? Never stumbled about such one (so no wonder I don't support it).
Is album review an extra plugin ?
How does the Squeezebox-Touch handle external links ? It doesn't have an integrated browser, does it ?

Album Review is a third party plugin developed by Michael that gets album reviews from internet sources and displays them. It works perfectly for me with SqueezePad but I haven't seen any external links in it in the quick checks I've tested. I'm using the beta you sent me and not the official 1.2.0.

I suppose the review text could contain external links but I'm not sure I'd like them to be opened in an external web browser, at least not until the iPad supports iOS4 with multi tasking so it don't have to kill the SqueezePad application when opening the external link. Compared to all the other stuff which have been mentioned, I think this should have a bit lower priority since it currently works even better than on the Squeezebox Touch due to the larger iPad screen.

My focus was to provide the original SqueezePlay menus to get the full feature set and not replace them here and there with custom variants.
So these feature request should be targeted to logitech first I think (as they make a lot of sense also outside the world of SqueezePad).

The biggest problem I think is: the server right now doesn't send the album names - and fetching them for each single menu line cannot be done in reasonable time.

I'll make sure Logitech have a registered enhancement request regarding this since the same problem exists in SqueezePlay.

When looking into the separate playlists feature I might have a look if there are special CLI commands that provide the lists with song + album name. If thats the case then maybe it would be a great way to have a custom 'saved playlists' view there as well.

If people think playlist management is important, so you decided to prioritize this, you should probably not rely on the standard SqueezePlay menus for playlists. The reason is that if the playlist management ever gets implemented by Logitech I suspect the SqueezePlay implementation might get less user friendly since they have to restrict themselves to a solution that also works good on the Radio and Controller and works good on the smaller Touch screen. With the large iPad screen I think it would be possible to accomplish something better.

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 04:31
Regarding SugarCube, here is the cometd.log
Thanks !
The problem is with the entry "Duplicator Weighting", there we have "selectedIndex => undef" - so actually no proper setting ?

I'd be interested what the Touch is showing as the current entry, when you browse this menu (possible values are: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)

A workaround to avoid the crash seems to once change the Duplicator Weighting manually (with a Touch/Radio/Controller) so that it is set correctly.

If I know what the Touch (or Radio/Controller) is showing for this menu-entry, then I can very easily workaround the crash with the next bugfix release of course.

erland
2010-07-28, 04:49
Thanks !
The problem is with the entry "Duplicator Weighting", there we have "selectedIndex => undef" - so actually no proper setting ?

I'd be interested what the Touch is showing as the current entry, when you browse this menu (possible values are: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)

A workaround to avoid the crash seems to once change the Duplicator Weighting manually (with a Touch/Radio/Controller) so that it is set correctly.

If I know what the Touch (or Radio/Controller) is showing for this menu-entry, then I can very easily workaround the crash with the next bugfix release of course.

My radio display just displays "Duplicator Weighting" on the main menu and when try to push the knob nothing happens. The selection indicator seems to go bad when I scroll over the bottom items, it's kind of like all items get selected. I wonder if this is something that ought to be corrected in the plugin instead of SqueezePad ?

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 05:54
I wonder if this is something that ought to be corrected in the plugin instead of SqueezePad ?
Definitely.
I'll still fix that SqueezePad isn't crashing anymore at this spot.

erland
2010-07-28, 10:29

If anyone else also wants this there is now an enhancement request you can vote for:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16409

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 14:03
External links (album review and so on) appears to be broken.
I just checked the Biography Plugin and for me it seems to be broken.
All 'links' in the text are not proper links, there are starting <a> tags but they never end - so this is not even proper HTML.

Attached a sample screenshot from SqueezePlay (which doesn't render better than SqueezePad). I found this non-links also on other pages.

Sorry - can't do anything reasonable with this corrupt data.

[update]same type of corrupt links for me with the 'Album Review' plugin on first try.

pippin
2010-07-28, 14:10
I just checked the Biography Plugin and for me it seems to be broken.
All 'links' in the text are not proper links, there are starting <a> tags but they never end - so this is not even proper HTML.

Attached a sample screenshot from SqueezePlay (which doesn't render better than SqueezePad). I found this non-links also on other pages.

Sorry - can't do anything reasonable with this corrupt data.

RTFM, or to be precise, read Michael's web page for the plugin ;)

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 14:28
Digging deeper into Album Review and the Biography plugin I realize that all data comes from www.allmusic.com.
According to their current terms of service (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=32:amg/info_pages/a_terms_of_service.html) its actually not allowed to "modify, copy, frame, cache, reproduce, sell, publish, transmit, display or otherwise use any portion of the Material".

So from my point of view those two plugins have severe copyright issues.

Given these terms of service I won't be able to directly access the data from the allmusic web site to correct any issues with them. You should ask the author of the respective plugins if he will improve them to render better on SqueezePlay based devices (i.e. Touch, Radio and Controller) and then they'll automatically also improve for SqueezePad.

Sorry - I can't be of any help here.

pippin
2010-07-28, 15:16
Digging deeper into Album Review and the Biography plugin I realize that all data comes from www.allmusic.com.
According to their current terms of service (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=32:amg/info_pages/a_terms_of_service.html) its actually not allowed to "modify, copy, frame, cache, reproduce, sell, publish, transmit, display or otherwise use any portion of the Material".

So from my point of view those two plugins have severe copyright issues.

Given these terms of service I won't be able to directly access the data from the allmusic web site to correct any issues with them. You should ask the author of the respective plugins if he will improve them to render better on SqueezePlay based devices (i.e. Touch, Radio and Controller) and then they'll automatically also improve for SqueezePad.

Sorry - I can't be of any help here.

Sorry, this is just one more of: RTFM :)

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 15:21
RTFM, or to be precise, read Michael's web page for the plugin ;)

Could you be a bit more specific ?
I'm running the Debian version of SqueezeboxServer, under /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/HTML there is also FormatText.pm present.
That should be all requirements for Michaels plugins according to his docs - still all those links are broken in SqueezePlay.

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 15:23
Sorry, this is just one more of: RTFM :)
*sigh* it would be helpful if you posted links and don't let everyone guess what's your point.

pippin
2010-07-28, 16:31
*sigh* it would be helpful if you posted links and don't let everyone guess what's your point.

Sorry, it takes me as much effort to find this link as it takes you.
You need to install a perl package to make the plugin work.

The allmusic license issue is known and the reason why this never made it's way into the core SBS code.

All of this is explained on Michael's web page which is easy to find through Google and which, I believe, is even lined from within the plugin settings.

pippin
2010-07-28, 16:33
Could you be a bit more specific ?
I'm running the Debian version of SqueezeboxServer, under /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/HTML there is also FormatText.pm present.
That should be all requirements for Michaels plugins according to his docs - still all those links are broken in SqueezePlay.

I'm running Ubuntu, had the same issue and had to install whatever it was. It now works and parses the info correctly, you don't have to do anything with the raw data.

oddquad
2010-07-28, 17:08
First off, excellent app, made exponentially better with the 1.2 update! Kudos to you, sir.

I vote for a portrait mode option for the following reasons:

1. When iPad is on the charger, it makes a lovely, large, remote display (not to mention controller)

2. The iPad, by design, should have no "right way" or "wrong way" to hold it. That's kind of the point of a tablet device, IMO.

As I say, it's already a great app, especially for us quadriplegics ;) (Did you know that?), and a worthy complement to Pippin's iPeng. And I know adding a portrait mode option would require a lot more programming with (probably) no more functionality added. I would just like it if you could work it into some future update. For me, that would make SqueezePad perfect.

Thanks for listening. :)

erland
2010-07-28, 19:26
I'm running Ubuntu, had the same issue and had to install whatever it was. It now works and parses the info correctly, you don't have to do anything with the raw data.

Here is the link to the required perl modules in case anyone wants to get this to work, Windows only I believe, it's more files than just a FormatText.pm (at least HTML::Parse and HTML::FormatText modules, maybe some more):
http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=473

If people still have problems after installing this, post in 3rd party plugin section and ask for help with the Biography or AlbumReview plugins when using SqueezePlay.

If this is a bug, which I believe it isn't, the problem should be corrected in the plugin as long as it also looks bad also on SqueezePlay Desktop, Touch, Radio, Controller.

Ron Olsen
2010-07-28, 20:49
1) Could you please check, if the Radio, Touch or Controller has the option to add the song to the playlist in its context menu. I'm using the original menus - if its not there it won't appear on SqueezePad too.

Rhapsody is only available in US so I cannot test myself and need your help !

When I bring up the context menu for a Rhapsody album on the Duet Controller, the first four menu items are:

Add to End >
Play Next >
Play >
Save to Favorites >

These same four menu items appear in iPeng as well. But they do not appear in SqueezePad.

bluegaspode
2010-07-28, 23:20
Here is the link to the required perl modules in case anyone wants to get this to work, Windows only I believe, it's more files than just a FormatText.pm (at least HTML::Parse and HTML::FormatText modules, maybe some more):
http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=473

I'm still having troubles myself, so here is the thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=565072#post565072

ccdalla
2010-07-29, 07:00
Just got 1.2.0...you're right, the index makes browsing so much better, it's almost like a completely different app.

One thing I've noticed is that when there's a playlist active, SqueezePad makes an entry for accessing it on the main menu...but if the playlist is one that you've just made on the fly (and therefore has no name), the main menu item for it is just a blank box with an arrow at the right-hand side. Perhaps that menu item should be a two-line thing with the top line saying "Current playlist:" and the second line either being the name of the playlist (if it has a name) or "(unnamed playlist)" if it doesn't have a name.

Again, fantastic work.

-c

RBM
2010-07-29, 08:01
Confirming album art is broken in 1.2 for the Spotify plugin: small covers show in the albums list, but the big image in the Now Playing screen does not show. It did work with the previous version, if I remember correctly.

bluegaspode
2010-07-29, 08:27
Confirming album art is broken in 1.2 for the Spotify plugin: small covers show in the albums list, but the big image in the Now Playing screen does not show. It did work with the previous version, if I remember correctly.
I don't think album art worked at all for Spotify - spotify uses a different format for its album-art URL.
Both issues (selecting play doesn't work in Spotify and Napster menus + album art doesn't show for these types of streams) are already fixed (confirmed by Triode and erland), will be submitted to Apple on 1th of August and should be available on the App-Store around 11th of August.

If you cannot wait until then write me a mail: bluegaspode at gmail dot com. We could arrange that you get a testing version - everyone taking the time to post the bugs here deserves some love :D

the main menu item for it is just a blank box with an arrow at the right-hand side.
Saw that once myself - thanks for reminding me - will be fixed as well for the next version I guess.

havoc1
2010-07-29, 13:53
Spotify now working properly - nice one.

bluegaspode
2010-07-29, 14:25
Spotify now working properly - nice one.
Um.
Possibly just luck I'm afraid - so don't be dissappointed if you find some menu-items where 'play' still won't work ;)

Anyway - good to hear that it works for you !

All Spotify issues will be solved with the next 1.2.1 release, to be released around 11th of august.

goobi
2010-07-30, 12:15
Guys, I just picked up app today. Running 7.5.1 on my PC, and in the settings it says address for server is 192.168.0.3. I didnt realise I had to add the :9000 on to get the full server address. It took me a number of hours of looking at "server not connected" to work this out. I now appear to be connected ok.

You guys are clearly all experts on this site. what I am looking for is an Idiots guide to this app.

Further, another enhancement that would be enormously useful would be the ability to play squeezebox server content on the ipad itself - obviously the built in speaker is no good but connecting high quality headphones should give another option.

I only have 16gb ipad, and am not prepared to load up my music directly onto ipad.

erland
2010-07-30, 12:30
Guys, I just picked up app today. Running 7.5.1 on my PC, and in the settings it says address for server is 192.168.0.3. I didnt realise I had to add the :9000 on to get the full server address. It took me a number of hours of looking at "server not connected" to work this out. I now appear to be connected ok.

I wonder if it would be preferred if it used port 9000 if you haven't specified a port number ? I think that would work in most cases

bluegaspode
2010-07-30, 15:06
I wonder if it would be preferred if it used port 9000 if you haven't specified a port number ? I think that would work in most cases
Yeah - I'll do that if no port is specified, good idea !
Actually giving no port typically means port 80 - but its very unlikely that this would be the correct port, so going for 9000 feels right.

Still two days to go for minor enhancement request from the community or bugfixes before I submit the next version to Apple.
Here is the current status of version 1.2.1: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/roadmap_page.php?version_id=1

ulvatne
2010-07-31, 00:00
Could you please elaborate which artwork is missing ? In the menus or on the 'Now Playing' screen ? Could also doublecheck that your server is showing the artwork ? - If the Logitech devices show artwork and SqueezePad not than I'd need a cometd-log from you as .

Hi. After a bit investigation I see that artwork is available As long As there is a .jpg file in the folder. Mp3's with artwork embedded doesn't show the artwork. This is the case with both small(menu) artwork and on Now Playing.

Artwork for all files are showing up on my controller As I play the, but not in the iPad. Will send you the logs in a few days.

bluegaspode
2010-07-31, 04:27
Hi ulvatne,

I just created an mp3-album which uses embedded Album Art only (using MediaMonkey) and doesn't have any extra image in the folder.
I then did a full rescan of my database to clear the previous images.

This renders without a problem with SqueezePad, so I cannot reproduce your problem.
Is anyone else seeing this ?

If you can get me cometd-logs for your menu where album art is missing today or tomorrow I might still be able to create a bugfix for the next release.

Tomphotofx
2010-07-31, 07:01
Hi
Just purchased the squeezepad app from UK iTunes store can't get it to work!!! Can anyone help please?
I just get a message saying it can't connect to slimsever, although slim server is running on PC and streaming music to my sound system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Tom

ulvatne
2010-07-31, 07:36
Hi ulvatne,

I just created an mp3-album which uses embedded Album Art only (using MediaMonkey) and doesn't have any extra image in the folder.
I then did a full rescan of my database to clear the previous images.

This renders without a problem with SqueezePad, so I cannot reproduce your problem.
Is anyone else seeing this ?

If you can get me cometd-logs for your menu where album art is missing today or tomorrow I might still be able to create a bugfix for the next release.

Hi. Tried to connect to another server running squeezecenter with an identical library (enterily separate network with backup copy) and evrything works with artwork showing up everywhere . Must be something with my setup on the first squeezecenter. Means you don't need to waste time on this issue. Thanks for your interst so far!!!!

ulvatne
2010-07-31, 07:39
Hi
Just purchased the squeezepad app from UK iTunes store can't get it to work!!! Can anyone help please?
I just get a message saying it can't connect to slimsever, although slim server is running on PC and streaming music to my sound system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Tom

Have you tried the obvious - insert the port number in your server's ip adress, normally port no 9000. Touch the "i" icon bottom right and write xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 sjbstituring xx with servers ip-address.

bluegaspode
2010-07-31, 07:59
Hi
Hi Tomphotofx - if you go to the WebUI, there to the "Information" page on the settings-screen you can find all information needed.

For instance with the screenshot below you should configure SqueezePad to use "192.168.1.101:9000" as server address.
Though maybe a bit complicated you only have to do it once in your lifetime :D

Jeff Flowerday
2010-07-31, 08:47
I'm looking forward to buying the app, once 1.2.1 is released with authentication support.

nathan_h
2010-07-31, 18:28
Awesome app. Super easy and all the basics are there. I now have a snappy app that makes use of the ipad real estate. Cool. Thanks!

achjimmy
2010-08-01, 04:52

Gidday Blue

Spent a little time with it today and realized I hadn't added the :9000 ! Did that and presto working fine with SC 7.3

Nice app thanks again

bluegaspode
2010-08-01, 05:13
Next version will append :9000 automatically if no other port is configured. Guess this will reduce this types of errors.

Good to know that you have success with 7.3 !

hybride
2010-08-01, 06:18
Hi, didn't read all in this thread, but i don't see any album art in my ipad.

What can be wrong?

bluegaspode
2010-08-01, 09:25
Hi, didn't read all in this thread, but i don't see any album art in my ipad.

What can be wrong?

When you surf to your server via safari from your iPad (typically http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000) and browse your music library there - do you see Cover Art ?

If no: there is something not right with your Squeezebox-Server finding the album art in the first place.
If yes: something is wrong with SqueezePad

In any case we'd need to know what type of music files you have and how you have saved the album art (embedded in the music files or a 'folder.jpg'-file for each album.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-08-03, 14:17
Is there any word on when squeezepad will support
Mysqueezebox.com?

bluegaspode
2010-08-03, 14:22
Is there any word on when squeezepad will support Mysqueezebox.com?

According to the poll (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575) its one of the top-3 features wishes.
If you vote there too you could make it a favourite !

RichardL
2010-08-04, 10:01
I also get no cover art on the main 'Now Playing' pane on the right hand side.

If I bring up the 'current playlist' via the menus on the left (Music Library-> etc.) I see the playlist and the cover art for each track. These are FLACs with embedded cover art.

I picked a track on the current playlist showing the cover art and played that song (despite a message saying that feature was not enabled).But all I get on the RHS is the title, artist etc. and the time bar. Just a large blank area where I would expect the cover art. Image on the left, blank on the right.

SBS 7.3.2

bluegaspode
2010-08-04, 10:26
I also get no cover art on the main 'Now Playing' pane on the right hand side.

Hi Richard - sorry to hear, that Cover Art is not working for you.
The good thing - they appear in the menu so at least we can exclude a problem with your server, I guess.

To help me fix your problem could you please provide me with log-files as written here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=564512&postcount=63.

You should surf the menu, start a track and wait one or two seconds until the progress bar starts to move when doing the logs.

If I can spot the error I can provide you with a beta-built within 24hours which will hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks for reporting by the way! - I'm pretty sure we can solve your problem really fast.

Jeff Flowerday
2010-08-04, 12:05
IMO, your current feature set doesn't warrant the new $9.99 price. I'd rather continue running iPeng on the iPad as a controller or just use my iPhone.

At, $5.99 I was willing to give it a go once authentication support was implemented.

Now I'm just one customer but I thought I'd let you know my thoughts on the pricing in a friendly manner.

Jeff

erland
2010-08-04, 12:28
IMO, your current feature set doesn't warrant the new $9.99 price.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the price so I'm not going to say that you are wrong. However, I'm so happy that SqueezePad exists and I personally think it's worth $9.99 and I would be happy to pay even more for it. The main reason for this is that bluegaspode seems to be very focused at improving it to make future versions even better and helping users who have some problem.

We have to remember that Squeezebox iPad apps isn't a huge market the possible customers are only those that have both an iPad and a Squeezebox. Due to this you can't compare the prize of a Squeezebox iPad app with a $7 game where the potential customers are every iPad owner on the planet.

bluegaspode
2010-08-04, 14:08
At the current price I'm giving the full feature set of a $213.00 controller.
With even bigger cover art and snappier touch navigation.
With much faster player switching.
With a lot of free improvements coming down the road.
Without you needing to up- and downgrade firmwares.
With currently much more instant support than Logitech.
And a bluegaspode hanging around these forums helping with all the other various problems outside the world of SqueezePad.

So all people already owning an iPad for other stuff actually safe $204 and get a better remote control.

I think its a very fair price, compared to what you already invested in your Squeezeboxen, your iPad and iPhone (I'm asking for less than 2%).

We should also not forget - with every sold piece we sponsor the following parties as well:
30% go to Steve
15% Luxembourg VAT for all European Countries (currently >66% of my market)
25% German income tax go into stabilizing the financial crisis *cough* and debts of Germany.

So nothing to make me rich actually.
The price won't go down in the future I guess, rather up, based on the market and upcoming competion when Squeezebox-Apps will challenge each other with more and more cool features.

I won't go deeper into pricing discussions, its your choice anyway ;)

nathan_h
2010-08-04, 23:40
Best 10 bucks I have spent in quite a while.

bluegaspode
2010-08-05, 00:23
Apple seems to have had a good reviewing night. SqueezePad 1.2.1 is available now on the App-Store.

This is a minor bugfix/enhancement release with the following stuff:

navigating back now also possible with tap on menu-title (also added icon). swiping right of course still works as a hidden feature for everyone reading the full App-Description ;)
support for authenticated Squeezebox-Servers (see new options on settings-screen)
new settings option: prevent sleep while playing
playlist menu: tapping a playlist entry now jumps to this playlist entry
fixed bugs in Spotify + Napster menus (tapping a track didn't start to play)
fixed a bug with Spotify artwork on the 'Now Playing' part
default port 9000 automatically added on settings-screen, when no other port is given
alarm volume menu now working
better rendering of network errors on the 'server disconnected screen'
don't crash on invalid Spicefly Sugarcube settings menu
settings screen: solved issues with (unsupported) portrait mode
dismissing the keyboard on the search-screen now doesn't search with empty string

Hope you enjoy it !!
For now I need a week of Not-Programming-On-SqueezePad-In-The-Night (but support of course still is there) - then I'll start with the next big feature ? What will it be ?

Lets see ... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575 ... currently looks like you get a great facility for playlist management ... I'll leave the pool open for this very last week !

goobi
2010-08-05, 04:41
Turning on tonight I got the message "cannot connect to server".

ipeng worked alright tho.

On my PC I found that the server address had moved from 168.0.3 to 168.0.2. After changing address the squeezepad worked fine.

I turn off squeezebox server when I am not using it as it stops my PC from sleeping, but an unintended consequence of this would appear to be that I might need to find out what my squeezbox server address is on using squeezepad.

This little trap will catch a range of the lower skilled users like myself.

dem
2010-08-05, 07:38
At the current price I'm giving the full feature set of a $213.00 controller.

But you're missing the feature where pushing the center button to drill down on track details instead now dumps your entire playlist and plays that track. :) At which point I hurl my Controller across the room.

I constantly find myself hesitating to purchase any App priced over $0.99, and then I remember that I once payed $500 for a mediocre office suite for Linux.

navigating back now also possible with tap on menu-title (also added icon). swiping right !

I know it's minor, but I really like that arrow.

On my PC I found that the server address had moved from 168.0.3 to 168.0.2.

You might see if whatever device you're using for DHCP has an option to assign the same address every time to your PC based on the PC's MAC address.

erland
2010-08-05, 10:24
SqueezePad 1.2.1 is available now on the App-Store.

It can't be said often enough, I absolutely love this, with the Spotify support SqueezePad now has:
- Earned its 5 star rating in App Store
- Earned its place among the bottom dock icons on my iPad
- Earned its place as the number one controller of my Squeezeboxes (together with iPeng on iPhone/iPod Touch which is used when the iPad is in another room)

Thanks for all your efforts

bluegaspode
2010-08-05, 11:19
On my PC I found that the server address had moved from 168.0.3 to 168.0.2. After changing address the squeezepad worked fine.
ui - ok - this is a point where my theory 'most of the people only have to configure the server once in their lifetime' starts to fade a bit.

As already mentioned by dem - for now I'd suggest to configure your router that your server always gets the same IP adress.
If you don't know how to do I'm sure we can help (just tell us your router, I'm sure there are online manuals and we can hint you to the right section).
Would make your Squeezebox-Setup more robust anyway - I think the devices also don't like it too much, when there are changing IPs.

update: thanks by the way for the Australian counterweight on the App Store. I owe you one, so lets get fixing your router :D

But you're missing the feature where pushing the center button to drill down on track details instead now dumps your entire playlist and plays that track. :) At which point I hurl my Controller across the room.
Hehe - that's what Logitech calls 'Touch To Play' :D
My wife already complained as well (strange - she never did that when using the Radio - but maybe its because with SqueezePad this was the first time I forced her to test the slaylists).

I already filed a request to 'protect' the playlist http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/view.php?id=21
I think such a feature would be part of the better playlist-management I'm about to start soon.

Ron Olsen
2010-08-05, 19:05
Some suggestions for playlist management and navigation:

1. The current playlist should be accessible by one touch at all times.

One way is having a short tap on the album art bring up the current playlist. A second tap on the album art returns to the previous left-side screen.

A second way is to have a "current playlist" icon and a "return to previous screen" icon available at all times.

2. There should be a "return to home screen" icon available at all times.

This is more efficient than repeatedly pressing the "go back" icon many times when deep into the menus.

These two changes would greatly improve the ergonomics of SqueezePad.

3. Highlight the currently playing track in the current playlist.

bluegaspode
2010-08-05, 23:45
Hi Ron,

1. The current playlist should be accessible by one touch at all times.
3. Highlight the currently playing track in the current playlist.

When I implement better playlist support, there will be an icon on the right and a playlist-only window will move in (which you can dismiss again).
The current menu will be removed then I guess.

2. There should be a "return to home screen" icon available at all times.
There is already! Just long tap the menu title (or this little arrow I implented in the latest version)
This feature was available from the very first version (and documented in the App-description).

Ron Olsen
2010-08-06, 01:31
There is already! Just long tap the menu title (or this little arrow I implented in the latest version)
This feature was available from the very first version (and documented in the App-description).

Thanks for pointing this out; it certainly isn't obvious. I still think a Home icon would be a good idea. There is screen real estate available for one. A feature as necessary as this should have an icon and not an inobvious "long tap" gesture, in my opinion.

The Duet Controller has a Home key; I think it would benefit SqueezePad as well.

NNN
2010-08-06, 09:48
I have a squeeze box duet. downloaded squeeze pad.

I tried connecting to my server and it says bad URL. 192.168.1.100:9000
Tried connecting to squeeze box and bad URL. 192.168.1.151:9000
I even turned off the firewall and still nothing.

I tried to connect to the Internet server 64.151.159.227:9000 and it times out.

Can somebody help me get this going.

Thanks

dem
2010-08-06, 09:54
I tried connecting to my server and it says bad URL. 192.168.1.100:9000

Can you connect to your server's web interface from Safari on the iPad?

bluegaspode
2010-08-06, 10:41
I tried connecting to my server and it says bad URL.
Hhmm - for me it always said 'cannot connect to host' when I simulated wrong urls.

Anyway: Have a look at this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=565677&postcount=101 where you can find all information needed to find the correct server settings.

In SqueezePad you should configure it like this:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000

(though the ':9000' part should be automatically added if you forget it).

Also try to connect to the Web-UI directly from your iPad as dem said. This makes sure you can correctly connect to your home-network.

Does your iPad have 3G ? Than make also sure, that you use WLAN instead when at home.

Hope that we get it running for you soon ! Tell us how you get along ...

Vhkounel
2010-08-08, 20:40
Hello, I am interested in buying this app but was wondering if it can set up my Duet receiver. My original Duet remote failed today and am sending it back for replacement. I just installed a new router and need to set up my Duet rcv. Can this be done with SqueezePad? Configure the rcv for wireless or wired, find my network, etc. Basically stuff you were able to do under the 'advance settings' tab on the original Duet oem remote. I hate to go a week without using my Duet rcv and hope your product can do this.

Thanks,
Bill

erland
2010-08-08, 21:39
Hello, I am interested in buying this app but was wondering if it can set up my Duet receiver.

bluegaspode will have to answer if he plans to add Squeezebox Receiver configuration support (UDAP) in future releases but it's not available in the current version.

At the moment you will need either a real Squeezebox Controller or:
- If you have a computer: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861
- If you have an Android based phone: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76584

Vhkounel
2010-08-08, 22:22
Thanks a lot, I tried running that earlier today but hung up with 'discover' as it would not see my Duet rcv. I was hoping for an easier method via my iPad.

bluegaspode
2010-08-08, 23:53
No I'm sorry.
I'm not supporting setting up a Receiver right now (and also don't plan to).

As there is a ready tool for PC I think it would be too much work for a too little target audience.
Does anyone know if SqueezePlay can do UDAP too ?

pippin
2010-08-09, 00:35
No I'm sorry.
I'm not supporting setting up a Receiver right now (and also don't plan to).

As there is a ready tool for PC I think it would be too much work for a too little target audience.
Does anyone know if SqueezePlay can do UDAP too ?

It can DO UDAP but no network setup so it's no help here. SB Touch and Radio, too. Only the Controller, Net::UDAP and SqueezeConfig can set up a receiver right now.

With Net::UDAP: you are aware the Receiver needs a wired network connection?

nathan_h
2010-08-10, 08:40
Since Logitech has stopped selling the standalone receiver, and there are multiple alternatives out there already for setup, I'm thinking adding this feature to squeezpad would not be a high priority.

hvb83
2010-08-11, 04:02
The Receiver is only temporarily on hold due to some parts not being available to them during production, at least that's what some people have been told by Logitech officials.

hvb83
2010-08-11, 05:00
One question I can't get answered from here. How far along is SqueezePad at this stage? Is it already a full-grown product that could be serious competition for a iPad-version of iPeng (mainly when it comes to stability, features and design?), or is it a huge stap backwards that doesn't feel as smooth?

bluegaspode
2010-08-11, 08:21
I guess I'm biased, but I consider SqeezePad a full-grown product that can easily replace a SqueezeBox Controller (except this UDAP receiver setup-stuff).
You can also see whats currently missing/soon to be coming here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575

Its difficult to say if its serious competition to iPengOniPad:
- noone knows the plans of pippin
- noone knows when it will be finished
- noone knows what other features SqueezePad will have, when the competition finally starts - so comparing todays SqueezePad with tomorrows iPengOniPad wouldn't be very fair right now :)
- for every user different things are important.

If the positive comments on this thread are not enough here some of the 4+5star quotes (which is the average rating) from iTunes around the world (thanks by the way to all the commenters on iTunes):

Netherlands:

Perfect!!! This app works great! Thnx keep up the good work!

Brilliant This app works perfect en so easy to work with. Thank you!

Was up and running in less then a minute. Only indexing of playlists seem not to be in sync. But very happy with what I have seen so far!

Sweden:

Perfect app!
A great app for the ipad to control your squeezeboxes.
I have been running ipeng for a long time on my iphone and it has worked great, however i been wanting an app for my ipad as well.
The ipeng do work on ipad but it looks not great.
I first hesitated before bying this app because of the pricing but i just say its well worth every penny.
I have some 120000+ songs, all in flac, and it can handle my large music library without any problem.
For now this is the best app if you have squeezebox, highly recommended!

UK:

great app
This app certainly performs the functions you might expect.
The operation is a little unusual and may not appeal to everyone but this app "does what it says on the tin."
Development Is ongoing and support via the logitech forums is excellent and prompt. If you have suggestions pass them on via the forums and who knows they may be incorporated in future updates.
I have an original squeeze box so a control with artwork that you can see is a great improvement and certainly better than the duet etc. etc.

In view of potential future developments, 4 stars, but it can only get better.

Worth buying
The latest version is great. The icon for going back is a huge improvement.

US:

Exactly What I Was Looking For
Squeezepad is exactly what I was looking for to control my Squeezebox Radio. I had been trying to get by with the web server interface via Safari, but the layout, frames, and buttons are not iPad friendly (it is barely mouse friendly too). Our Radio is hooked up to our home intercom system to give us whole house audio. Now I can be anywhere in the house and easily and fully control the Radio. No more trying build a big playlist sitting at the computer, or running back downstairs to adjust things.

4 stars for the price, i think it's a little high, but I understand the developer's costs, and that it is a somewhat limited audience, making high volume sales not a reality to allow a low price.

Looking forward to future updates.

Great App, rapid development
This App supports the Logitech Squeezebox series of music players. This is a great Version 1 with most of the features required to allow complete remote control and interaction with the devices.

The author is extremely responsive to accommodate both bug fixes and enhancements.

Even better
The latest version fixes some obscure problems a few folks had in the last version and retains all the good stuff. Big beautiful cover art images, lots of options and features, but at the core a simple comprehensive interface that leaves all other ipad solutions in the dust.

Check out the forum at slimdevices for more info and a chat with the developer.

Brilliant!
Perfect, clean, simple... After being disappointed in the competition, I stumbled across SqueezePad by accident. This is just what I was looking for... The best $$$ I've spent on an iPad app... Highly recommended!

Oh - and to be fair - here is a 1star rating from Australia:

Terrible - don't waste your money on this.
At $13 this app is a complete rip off. I feel shafted and I weish I could get a refund.
The design is ordinary and the functionality extremely limited. I could not get album art to display.
There also seem to be usability disaters such as not being able to return to the home page.
Save your money and use the web app via safari. So much better!
This user unfortunately didn't try to get some help here as far as I know.
Thanks to another user (hi goobi) also in Australia there is a 5star rating:

Good app
This app is excellent. Have to disagree with previous reviewer.

pippin
2010-08-11, 08:29
This user unfortunately didn't try to get some help here as far as I know.

This is a big issue on the App Store: Users having some issues they never report to you but only in the ratings given.
My ratings are full of RTFM stuff and you'll find you also get a lot of negative feedback on some of Apple's design decisions :)

pippin
2010-08-11, 08:46
Oh, one thing that I should add is that if SqueezePad stays as it is now then iPeng for iPad will be sufficiently different from SqueezePad that you might want to make a decision on taste, after all, different people have different preferences.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-08-14, 12:21
I've been using Squeezepad today and it's terrific.

Here are some suggestions.

These are just some thoughts .

1) getting to the current playlist is not intuitive . How bout
Pressing album art not to bring up just the current track but the entire playlist?You
Could then make changes to what's playing from there.

2) mysqueezebox integration is critical .I did vote for this feature. I have 4 logitech
Devices and some are on mysqueezebox and some are on the server. Being able to
Control mysqueezebox without the server running is essential.

3) when the current playlist is brought up it would be nice for the track playing
To be highlighted.

Keep up the awesome work.

Claas
2010-08-15, 08:50
Hi,

I am waiting for an iPad-App to control my Squeezebox since having the iPad which was 2 days after its release. Now SqueezePad seems to be a very good option as from what I read it can replace the Logitech Remote instantly and there are plans to improve the functionality of SqueezePad. What about future updates. Will the features resulting from the poll or your creative brain be free?

Cheers

Claas

bluegaspode
2010-08-15, 09:15
What about future updates. Will the features resulting from the poll or your creative brain be free?

All 'normal' updates from Apple are for free - there is currently no way to charge for them.
One had to implement 'In-App-Purchases' to generate more income from existing customers (you might now them from some free games that want you to buy more maps and stuff).

The next feature updates (resulting from the poll or my creative brain) will be all for free - I rather increase the price-tag for new customers when the feature set grows and it feels right to do so (but that wouldn't affect existing customers).

There are currently only two areas, where I think I would charge existing customers if I was ever going to implement them:
a) Playback from within the App (not to come this year I guess)
b) Making SqueezPad the 'ultimate music discovery device' (see this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80910 for ideas).

Both feature target a limited audience but need huge development efforts.

Claas
2010-08-15, 09:36
Thanks for the information. I just bought the App (before your answer).

Claas
2010-08-15, 09:54
Is this the right place to post feature requests?

Claas

bluegaspode
2010-08-15, 11:00
Yeah sure, I'm always collecting for the next poll. Easy simple stuff also has a chance to be done on-the-fly.

hvb83
2010-08-16, 01:43
I've bought the app but had a very busy weekend, so only had a couple of minutes to play with it last night, which is barely enough to get a good impression. At first glance it seems a lot of features are there and are working correct.

My only complaints at this stage are, that the interface looks rather basic, it has more of a W95-feel than an iPad-feel over it. And it doesn't work as intuitive as iPeng does on iPhone. Perhaps it needs some getting used to, but I feel I need to perform a lot more actions before I get to choose an album.

So far, I can say, it is usable, but it has a "under development" feeling over it. Let's hope Bluegaspode finds the time to work on the GUI some more.

bluegaspode
2010-08-16, 02:54
My only complaints at this stage are, that the interface looks rather basic, it has more of a W95-feel than an iPad-feel over it.
As to the look and feel - if anyone comes up with good ideas how to improve it (possibly mock-screens with some gfx-tool) I'm very happy. It's very difficult otherwise to understand what you (and others) would consider a better 'iPad-feel'.

Let's hope Bluegaspode finds the time to work on the GUI some more.
As I'm personally very happy with the looks nothing will change if noone comes up with better ideas or inspiration for me.
Even my wife didn't complain :D.

And it doesn't work as intuitive as iPeng does on iPhone. Perhaps it needs some getting used to, but I feel I need to perform a lot more actions before I get to choose an album.

iPeng:
- one tap on the upper-left arrow to get to the menu
- one tap for albums
- choose whole album by tapping cover art (or drill down further)
- one tap to get back to now playing (can be changed in the settings)

SqueezePad:
- long hold menu-title to get to the root menu wherever you are (yes this trick is well hidden in the App description)
- one tap for MyMusic
- one tap for Albums
- choose whole album by tapping cover art (or drill down further)

Maybe in the future I'll provide means to create always-visible-shortcuts directly on the main screen.

I think its a lot to do with what you are used to.
My wife complains about iPeng alot - to much swiping and screens there for her. (She is forced to use iPeng every day I leave her with an unusable buggy beta-version of SqueezePad *g*).
So I guess its a lot to do with 'getting used to'.

Are there other areas which you consider 'unintuitive' ? What do other users think ?

pippin
2010-08-16, 03:30
you don't have to swipe in iPeng to get to the menu.
You have to swipe to get to the current playlist, which in SqueezePad is "Menu->My Music->Current Playlist"

bluegaspode
2010-08-16, 04:43
you don't have to swipe in iPeng to get to the menu.
You have to swipe to get to the current playlist, which in SqueezePad is "Menu->My Music->Current Playlist"

Yes right - tap the arrow-icon on the top left instead of swiping to get to the page with albums-button. That's where I get confused myself because I always remember 'menu comes in from the left', try to swipe and see the players list *g*
I updated the previous post to have it correct, thanks for the clarification.

hvb83
2010-08-16, 05:08
First, let me say I'm very happy with your hard work so far. My previous post might have seemed a little harsh, which isn't my intention. If anything I feel it's great that we now have some competition in the Squeezebox-remote community, when it comes to iPad remotes. The community will only benefit from the competition iPeng HD is getting, which will hopefully give us the best app possible to use as a remote, whether that will be SqueezePad or iPeng HD when it's finally released.

As to the look and feel - if anyone comes up with good ideas how to improve it (possibly mock-screens with some gfx-tool) I'm very happy. It's very difficult otherwise to understand what you (and others) would consider a better 'iPad-feel'.

It is very functional indeed, everything can be found by following the menu's. But the white textboxes and the font's are somewhat old-fashionate. I'm no graphics expert myself, but perhaps there is someone here who can help in that area? I'll see if I can give you a few examples that could provide you with inspiration. In the mean-time, there are plenty of ideas already posted in the "what should iPeng for iPad look like?-topic".

Comparison between iPeng and Squeezepad
Although I'm comparing it to iPeng lots of times too, especially in regards to look and feel, I respect your choice to follow your own design route and leave iPeng as it is. After all, we're talking about an iPad app, that offers a whole new set of possibilities due to the large screen.

I think its a lot to do with what you are used to.
My wife complains about iPeng alot - to much swiping and screens there for her. (She is forced to use iPeng every day I leave her with an unusable buggy beta-version of SqueezePad *g*).
So I guess its a lot to do with 'getting used to'.

You're right in saying it has something to do with what you are used to. iPeng felt kind of frustrating in the beginning. But now that I know how it works, I'm delighted, as is my girlfriend. Considering the small screen you have to work with, the current solution is one of the best solutions possible if you need to scroll through large libraries. But of course this applies for iPhone. On an iPad you have a much larger screen to your avail, being able to present a hell of a lot more information on the same screen. At the same time, it's questionable if you would want all that information presented to you all the time...

Are there other areas which you consider 'unintuitive' ? What do other users think ?

One of the gimmicks of iOs is the way you can swipe to bring menu's or other screens up, and therefor hide stuff you don't need at that point. I'll admit right away that I've played with it for too short up to now to assess the full potential of this app, but it appeared to me the screen is rather static. For instance, if you don't need the menu, it can't be hidden, or parts of it.

bluegaspode
2010-08-16, 05:16
One of the gimmicks of iOs is the way you can swipe to bring menu's or other screens up, and therefor hide stuff you don't need at that point. I'll admit right away that I've played with it for too short up to now to assess the full potential of this app, but it appeared to me the screen is rather static. For instance, if you don't need the menu, it can't be hidden, or parts of it.
Yeah - I also thought about hiding/animating the menu - but decided against it as currently I wouldn't know what todo with the place. Coverart wouldn't get bigger because here the height is the limiting factor.

The next version (I'll submit this week to Apple, so will be available somewhen next week) will have a first small feature which changes the static screen (creating some hype and buzz now :D ).
And when starting with better playlists I thought to have a panel which moves in from the right (and can be dismissed again).

So I guess we are on the right track then ...

Juliozaffo
2010-08-16, 15:30
Just turned on genius mode on my iPad and what should appear since I have iPeng? That's right, SqueezePad. Sigh, there goes another ten bucks. Great work on this. It's nice to see an iPad app out. Of course I'm just like every other bloke on earth so here's a few points I'd like to make.

I'm going to just come out with the wishlist first:

-pleaSE, plEASE, PLEASE come out with a wake-on-lan option when launching the app. I always use iPeng to power on my computer when it launches (shout out Pippin).

-I'd like to see the current playlist pop up ala iTunes when tapping on the cover art of what's currently playing. It would also be nice if the playlist indicated the current playing track either by an arrow or highlight. Additionally, for the information junkies, total playlist play time and # of tracks (I don't personally need this but have you met an information junkie? Them boys like their stats.)

-I saw some mention of quicker access to favorites (artist, album, etc.). You were questioning where to put it. I know this may not be as quick as others would like but maybe you could put a bar at the bottom of the playlist window as suggested above. One click on the current playing album art would bring up the playlist window with a favorites bar on top or bottom. It would be great if the favorites bar were modifiable with options similar to iPeng (shout out Pippin). Or, at the very least buttons that shortcut to new music, artists and albums. And to be totally selfish, I'd like a link to a plugin I use all the time Server Power Control so that I can hibernate my server with one click. Maybe you could add a shortcut to a URL since you can link to the SPC hibernate server option through a URL.

-If you are going to implement album art caching please make it optional. I think the current speed is sufficient and I'm afraid caching may slow the process. I have a LOT of albums and if caching has to go through them every time to see what may be new that may take longer than just loading them up as you scroll.

That should be enough for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later. I really like the simple interface. I'm not sure what I'd add. As much as I hate to say it, a home button somewhere may be nice. I mean, the tap and hold to go home is fine but it's a tap and hold vs. just a tap. I'm a busy guy :) Other than that it may also be nice to allow us to pick a background for the main screen.

And this is just an interface issue. When adding an album to the end of the playlist using the context menu the list goes blank for a bit without any indication of what's going on. It would be nice if you put the progress bar back in the window since it's reloading the current menu.

One more thing, I'd like to see an option for restarting in the menu where you left off when closing the app.

Thanks again for the app and sorry for the long winded post.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-08-17, 04:39
Any chance of getting a iPhone version of
Squeezepad . I like the simplicity of your
App on the iPad . Forwarding that to
An iPhone would be nice . My wife
And kids have difficulty with ipeng.

bluegaspode
2010-08-17, 05:46
I don't think I'll be porting it to iPhone.
I'm not really sure if the simplicity can be brought to that small screen and iPeng did a great job there already.

If one ported SqueezePad to iPhone, then we would have exactly the same menu like a Logitech Controller full-size - switching back and forth between menu and now-playing screen.

And guess what - people will start to give 1-3 stars because of the lack of functionality - but if one starts to add it you are very fast back again at multiple screens and the danger of getting lost within.

So I had to drop the price but won't get the sales numbers to make me happy with it I gess. I'm not convinced that there is a market for a 'just like Logitech-Controller but more responsive'-App on iPhone (but hey people chime in if you think different) !

Already with SqueezePad I start getting into trouble:
- wanting to keep it dead simple on the outside
- wanting to support more and more features

Its an endless tradeoff between two different worlds.

By the way - did you look into your private messages of this forum (upper right) - think I wrote you some time ago about some other stuff.

RBM
2010-08-17, 10:42
What about putting in an option to put the list navigation on the right side of the screen and the album art and controls to the left? Might make for easier navigation (thumb scrolling!) for right paws...

dfarrington
2010-08-17, 10:51
Just wanted say that this is a great app, one I've been waiting for since I got my iPad. I think I'll be putting away my controller soon...

Keep up the good work!

bluegaspode
2010-08-17, 15:16
-pleaSE, plEASE, PLEASE come out with a wake-on-lan option when launching the app. I always use iPeng to power on my computer when it launches (shout out Pippin).

I knew some day someone would come up with it ... got away without it exactly one month *g*.
Feature request was put in the backlog.

-I'd like to see the current playlist pop up ala iTunes when tapping on the cover art of what's currently playing.[...]
Making playlist management better is the next big thing to do. There will be an icon on the right which will move in a dedicated playlist view.
Showing the current song, allowing reordering ... and if I'm really good drag and drop of songs/albums from the left to the right ...

What about putting in an option to put the list navigation on the right side of the screen and the album art and controls to the left? Might make for easier navigation (thumb scrolling!) for right paws...
I put that on the backlog for now.
Don't think it will come to soon - while it might be easy todo right now ... the more features SqueezePad will get with stuff coming in from the left or right ... the more difficult it will be to support the mirrored version.

Just wanted say that this is a great app, one I've been waiting for since I got my iPad. I think I'll be putting away my controller soon...

My controller is still used to show a weather forecast all day long (see my signature) *g*.
As I sold exactly one unit in Turkey I guess its your task to spread the word now in your country :D

dfarrington
2010-08-17, 15:28
My controller is still used to show a weather forecast all day long (see my signature) *g*.
As I sold exactly one unit in Turkey I guess its your task to spread the word now in your country :D

Oops. I haven't changed my location in a while! I'm actually an American who changes where he lives every couple of years... I'm currently in Belize. I'll still spread the word though!

jimzak
2010-08-19, 10:40
I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been suggested: please allow your app to rotate somehow to portrait mode on the iPad.

Your app is really the only one I have that forces me to hold the iPad in landscape, and it just feels unnatural to me.

Otherwise, thanks for the great app. Nice job!!!!

Claas
2010-08-20, 11:50
and if I'm really good drag and drop of songs/albums from the left to the right ...

that would have been one of my requests.

2) Current playlist easier to access. But that seems to be planned.

Will play around with it during the weekend and come up with more perhaps.

Regards

Claas

Claas
2010-08-21, 11:22
Just found a possible bug. When the iPad is going to sleep (noticed it when hitting the sleep-button) and waking up again (which makes SqueezePad appear active) a hit on e.g. "artists" ends up in an unlimited (I waited for 2 minutes which is unlimited compared to the 1-3 seconds after launch) search. Restarting SqueezePad immediately solves it.

Regards

Claas

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 12:00
Just found a possible bug. When the iPad is going to sleep (noticed it when hitting the sleep-button) and waking up again (which makes SqueezePad appear active) a hit on e.g. "artists" ends up in an unlimited (I waited for 2 minutes which is unlimited compared to the 1-3 seconds after launch) search. Restarting SqueezePad immediately solves it.

Regards

Claas

Thanks for finding it ! As you found out a workaround is just restarting SqueezePad. Will look into it for the next version.

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 12:27

Regards

Claas
Just tried to reproduce but am not able to.
But I also have a local version with a complete rewrite of the network code.

If you want I can provide you with a beta version of SqueezePad to test yourself (write a mail to bluegaspode at gmail dot com to get instructions).
On the other hand you could wait a week - the new version is already waiting for review from Apple.

Metazargo
2010-08-21, 13:17
Does someone tested iPeng on iPad?

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 13:28
Does someone tested iPeng on iPad?
iPeng on iPad isn't released yet - so noone but the author (and possibly a very selected number of other persons) could test it yet.

There is also no releasedate nor indication thereof as far as I know.

SqueezePad currently is the only native iPad App for SqueezeBoxen.

So go for it ... or wait :D

amcluesent
2010-08-21, 15:53
On my set-up, Squeezepad is too keen to show menu entries that have been switched off/replaced by menus from CustomBrowse plug-in.

This is the menu from the web-interface which has Artists/Albums/Genres replaced by CustomBrowse versions. In SqueezePlay, everything gets presented inc. menus that have been switched off.

The CustomBrowse menu 'Artist Index' is what is used to replace the standard 'Artists' menu and so forth.

Version: 7.5.1 - r30836 @ Tue Jun 1 06:02:45 PDT 2010
Hostname: Theseus
Server IP Address: 192.168.2.41
Server HTTP Port Number: 9002
Operating system: Windows Vista - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.10.0 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Total Players Recognized: 4

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 16:03
What Logitech Device do you have ... one of the new ones (Radio, Touch, Controller) or the elder (Boom, Classic).

I'm not sure if this is a problem of CustomBrowse which currently cannot replace menus for the newer devices, because Logitech doesn't provide API for it.
If you have one of the older devices, can you test, how the official SqueezePlay - which simulates the newer devices - renders those menus ?
(You can download SqueezePlay from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5 one of the last four links)

amcluesent
2010-08-21, 16:15
>how the official SqueezePlay - which simulates the newer devices - renders those menus ? <

OK, tried Squeezeplay and it renders same as Squeezepad :(

bluegaspode
2010-08-21, 16:33
amcluesent - I was afraid it turned out this way. So nothing we can do right now about it :(

@erland: if you have any idea how we can solve that - contact me !
Maybe we can introduce some hidden tags in the CB-menu-items, that they replace some other menu item (maybe such tags are present already ?).

I could respect those tags and remove the 'original' menu-items.

Then one could even patch the real SqueezePlay. Maybe that's easier overall than waiting for server side fixes.

Claas
2010-08-21, 23:31
If you want I can provide you with a beta version of SqueezePad to test yourself (write a mail to bluegaspode at gmail dot com to get instructions).
On the other hand you could wait a week - the new version is already waiting for review from Apple.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll wait.

I just tried to reproduce it again. It works. Meaning it works to reproduce the bug ;)

Jeinky
2010-08-23, 00:28
Thank you for this great app!

One remark though, can you remove the alphabet letterindications in the screens. I can't add a screenshot from my ipad but i'll give you an example, since my folders are organised in alphabet letters i currently see the following when browsing through them:

A
A
B
B
C
C
D
D

Further i think you don't need to know that you are at M for example since artistsnames, albums and folders etc all start with an M in that case...

Just my 2 cts

bluegaspode
2010-08-23, 01:01
Thank you for this great app!

One remark though, can you remove the alphabet letterindications in the screens. I can't add a screenshot from my ipad but i'll give you an example, since my folders are organised in alphabet letters i currently see the following when browsing through them:

A
A
B
B
C
C
D
D

Hi Jeinky, this looks strange (and I never saw that before) but shouldn't happen of course. Can you still try to post a screenshot that I get an impression ?
Doing a screenshot is rather easy on the iPad - just hold the 'On/Off'-Button then a short press on the 'Home'-Button will do a screenshot.
After you have synced with iTunes it is on your HD.

If possible I'd also like to see the server-log when you browse this particular menu to see what might be wrong.
You can find instructions on how to provide serverlog here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=564512&postcount=63

If I find a bug I can provide you with a Beta built so that it gets fixed for you instantly.

esugiu
2010-08-23, 01:53
Hallo!

Bevor ich die SqueezePad App kaufe, würde ich gerne wissen, ob sie mit meinem Squeezebox Touch einwandfrei funktioniert. Tut sie das???
Ich denke ja...aber ich habe in diesem Forum keinen Überblick mehr.
Mir fehlt auch eine richtige FAQ Unterordner.

Danke für deine Antowort und deine Apps Entwicklung!

Giuseppe

bluegaspode
2010-08-23, 04:26
In der aktuellen Version braucht SqueezePad einen laufenden SqueezeBox-Server.

Die Touch hat so ein Ding eingebaut, das wäre allerdings nur aktiv, wenn du eine USB-Festplatte dranhängst und deine Musik davon abspielen lässt.

Sofern das gegeben ist, sollte alles prima funktionieren.
Bei weiteren Fragen würde ich vorschlagen im Deutschen Sub-Forum 'nen neuen Support-Thread aufzumachen ... oder schreib mich direkt per Mail an: bluegaspode at gmail dot com

Jeinky
2010-08-23, 05:51
See the screenshot below, with what I mean. This is an example of my folder structure. The letters in the headers are in every menu, and they are not needed according to me, since you know when you are at M or N or whatever ;-)

regards

bluegaspode
2010-08-23, 07:46
See the screenshot below, with what I mean. This is an example of my folder structure. The letters in the headers are in every menu, and they are not needed according to me, since you know when you are at M or N or whatever ;-)

regards

I see ...
mhmmm
very special case.

But I wouldn't know what a logic could be, that decides if those headers can be omited. Other people would still need those headers, when they name their folders different.

Maybe one could say:
Whenever there is just one entry in each section (so 36 menu-items max - 26chars and 10 numbers) one could hide them.
This would also work for a folder structure like 'A-C','D-F', '...'.
Also the alphabetical index would be omited then.

What do other people think ... a sound algorithm ?

erland
2010-08-23, 10:08
Maybe one could say:
Whenever there is just one entry in each section (so 36 menu-items max - 26chars and 10 numbers) one could hide them.
This would also work for a folder structure like 'A-C','D-F', '...'.
Also the alphabetical index would be omited then.

What do other people think ... a sound algorithm ?

The headers are pretty pointless if there is just 2-3 pages of items, I think it would be safe to omit them in this case. I don't think you need to look at the item text, just counting the number of items should be enough.

bluegaspode
2010-08-23, 10:31
yeah - guess thats the way to go.

erland - in case you missed it I need your comment about the following issue:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=570962 (read to post 167)

erland
2010-08-23, 10:45
@erland: if you have any idea how we can solve that - contact me !
Maybe we can introduce some hidden tags in the CB-menu-items, that they replace some other menu item (maybe such tags are present already ?).

I could respect those tags and remove the 'original' menu-items.

Then one could even patch the real SqueezePlay. Maybe that's easier overall than waiting for server side fixes.

Unfortunately a server change broke the possibility to replace standard menus in 7.4 or 7.5, there is a bug for it:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14971

Fortunately, Logitech has solved it in the "onebrowser" branch in 7.6, so if Logitech decides to use that for the 7.6 release the problem should be solved as soon as I've rewritten Custom Browse plugin to use the new API available in the "onebrowser" branch.

I don't think we should add hidden tags at this stage to solve the problem unless it's really critical to get this to work. If you really want a fix for 7.5, I would suggest that you put logic in SqueezePad to remove menus that have the same visible title and prefer third party menus over the standard ones. However, I would advice you to avoid special stuff like this unless it's really urgent because we will probably have a working solution in 7.6.

bluegaspode
2010-08-23, 10:53
If you really want a fix for 7.5, I would suggest that you put logic in SqueezePad to remove menus that have the same visible title and prefer third party menus over the standard ones.
From the screenshots the menu-items don't have the same visible title.
I also wouldn't know which menu-item is a third-party one.

So I guess I cannot do anything about it yet, sorry amcluesent.

erland
2010-08-23, 11:05
From the screenshots the menu-items don't have the same visible title.
I also wouldn't know which menu-item is a third-party one.

So I guess I cannot do anything about it yet, sorry amcluesent.

You can configure the title to be the same if you like to, this is just an attribute in the Custom Browse configuration.

You can probably look at the id of the menu and consider it to be third party unless it matches one of the standard id's used by the standard menus.

However, this feels a bit dirty and I'm not sure it's worth to have a special solution just to make it work before 7.6 is released. The menus are still accessible, you will just get duplicate menu items that does similar things, one standard menu and one Custom Browse version.

Juliozaffo
2010-08-23, 16:31
I have noticed on my artists page that for some reason P is being put on top of the nav bar. Kind of hard to see in the pic but P is first followed by 1,3, etc. Any ideas?

bluegaspode
2010-08-25, 00:09
This looks strange indeed.

I take the order that comes from the server - I'm not reordering anything. So I'd say that if you browse the same menu with a Radio/Touch/Controller or SqueezePlay (to be downloaded from here http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5) you will see the same.

If not give me a message and I'm sure we can get this resolved really fast if its really a bug within SqueezePad.

bluegaspode
2010-08-25, 23:31
Hi guys,

to keep up with frequent updates here is a new one, available today from the AppStore. Guess there's cool stuff for anyone in there:

Screensafer mode: If just tap the big album art then SqueezePad switches to Screensafer mode: Huge Album Art, Huge Fonts - perfect to watch from far away.
This mode supports both Landscape and Portrait so you can leave your iPad in the dock.
If people wouldn't always hand around an iPad on parties *g* that would be a great addition to your next party ... and if there was no 'Home' button we could even make this screen password protected ... alas ... next life maybe ;)

MySqueezebox.com integration: On the settings screen you can now configure SqueezePad to connect to MySqueezebox.com. This makes your local-server obsolete (if you don't use your own music library). Please Note: switching player between MySB.com and your local server isn't supported though - you still need to switch Players directly on the device from a local server to MySB.com if needed.
So this is perfect if you use MySB.com only (or rarely) or have other means of switching players automatically (like srvpowerctrl http://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/).

Other stuff

the 'Extras' menu is hidden if you don't have plugins that put some menu-items in there.

Spotify context menus now have playlist controls (like 'Add Next'). Make sure to install the latest version of the Spotify plugin on your server to get this feature.

'Now Playing' artwork is supported for 7.3-servers now - making life a bit nicer there. Please note that 7.3 is still not officially supported and I give no guarantee of which feature are working and which not.

As written on other threads I'm working on a new UI right now (take a peek here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=81403) which makes good progress so I still think this will be finished by the end of next week (+10 days Apple review process).

Oh - and I do have a homepage now: www.squeezepad.com ... feel free to link it from anywhere you want :D

davep
2010-08-26, 04:27
Hi Bluegaspode,
Just did the update to 1.3 and it seems that I have lost all my artwork. It was there in the previous version, and still shows up in iPeng on the same iPad.

If you scroll quickly through a list of albums you see the grey "disc" placeholder icons for each album as they flash past, but once you stop scrolling these are quickly replaced with blank spaces where the artwork should be.

Any ideas?

davep

Kalanthes
2010-08-26, 05:45
Mit diesem update werden bei mir gar keine Alben angezeigt. Es erscheint nichts, auch kein grauer Platzhalter und der screensaver is ganz schwarz :(

goody
2010-08-26, 05:58
Thank for the MySqueezebox.com integration. Ive been having some troubles with server that i dont have time to troubleshoot. The hard part of switching back to mysb.com was not being able to use my ipad!

bluegaspode
2010-08-26, 09:02
If you scroll quickly through a list of albums you see the grey "disc" placeholder icons for each album as they flash past, but once you stop scrolling these are quickly replaced with blank spaces where the artwork should be.

That's strange - I didn't change anything on image-downloading for album-lists. Can you please follow the instructions from here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=564512&postcount=63
to provide me with some logs from your server.

Also I'd like to know what server version you are using.
What about icons on the 'Radios' menu ? What happens when you play a radio stream - is album art/radio station logo missing there too ?

I'm at home in two hours and could start fixing if I have logs by then - possibly even providing you with a beta built so that its fixed instantly for you.

Mit diesem update werden bei mir gar keine Alben angezeigt. Es erscheint nichts, auch kein grauer Platzhalter und der screensaver is ganz schwarz :(
Hi Kalanthes - kannst du mir Log-Files vom Server schicken wenn du ins Menu wechselst, bzw. versuchst einen Song zu starten (siehe hier: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=564512&postcount=63 ). Welche Serverversion hast du im Einsatz ?

RBM
2010-08-26, 09:44
Just confirming: all album art present (small, big and screensaver) in local SBS and Spotify (OSX 10.6 / SBS 7.6).

bluegaspode
2010-08-26, 09:50
Just confirming: all album art present (small, big and screensaver) in local SBS and Spotify (OSX 10.6 / SBS 7.6).

At least one :D
No - its working fine for me and I know of others ... but I'm sure we'll find out what this particular problem is about.

By the way ... why I hate not being able to comment on the AppStore:

Does not start properly. NO real support at all. I am surprised Apple let this lousy program as an App. When u seek support you get sent to the Logitech Discussion forum!!! Remember it is not a Logitech App but separate!,, don't buy this App. try maybe Ipeng or nothing?

And I'm not ranting because he is suggesting iPeng ...
Some people just don't want to be helped :(

If anyone thinks SqueezePad is worth more than one star don't forget to vote on the App-Store ;)

PietB
2010-08-26, 10:09
I will vote with 5 stars for Squeezepad, is working wonderful and also I like Ipeng; use them both, so keep up the good work please.
Ipod touch as a little remote for quickly accessing and Squeezepad when I want some more detail/

pippin
2010-08-26, 11:16
By the way ... why I hate not being able to comment on the AppStore:

And I'm not ranting because he is suggesting iPeng ...
Some people just don't want to be helped :(

What I personally hate most is if somebody has an obvious issue that can be easily solved, complains but never ever contacts support at all.

goobi
2010-08-27, 03:18
Great website. Thanks for all the time and patience to keep developing this application. Each update is like a free gift.

bluegaspode
2010-08-27, 22:22
If you are having problems with 1.3.0 and coverarts ...

Hi guys - with the help of davep i finally could find out, why for some people coverarts are not working anymore with the 1.3.0 version.

The reason: authenticated servers (and probably regular rescans, changing the URLs to coverarts)

Unfortunately I didn't find this bug when releasing the new version, because it seems that the iPad is rememebering some passwords and automatically provides them when asking the server for coverart.
So I couldn't spot that the code downloading images wasn't sending passwords anymore to the server.
So even if you use authenticated servers, chances are that you don't even spot the bug.

The workaround for now is disabling authentication on your server and waiting for the next version, which will have the issue fixed (expected release date is in about two weeks - one more week of development and one week for Aplle to review them)
If thats not an option for you please contact me directly: bluegaspode at gmail dot com.

Claas
2010-08-29, 00:38
Hi,

the bug I noticed when Squeezepad didn't find anything after the iPad went to sleep is fixed with 1.3.0.

Thanks.

Claas

cburke
2010-08-29, 17:51
Greetings,

So far I like Squeezepad a lot. I am running into one challenge however. I use my Squeezebox quite a bit for listening to podcasts. I can search for a podcast no problem by searching under Internet radio. However, it appears that there is no context menu available once I've found the podcast to add it to my favorites.

For example, if I go into Internet Radio and search for "American Life" it turns up the result "The American Life". Now I want to add that "link" to my favorites so that I can go into favorites and select it and then pick an episode. (Note, it appears that I can add an individual episode, that doesn't really help for keeping up with a podcast though)

If I add it as a favorite from the web interface, it shows up in Squeezepad under favorites just fine and works as intended. I'd like to be able to do this with Squeezepad though, so that when I find new things I like, I can add them to favorites.

Am I missing something on this?

Thanks,

-C

Fredly
2010-09-15, 10:16
Hi Stefan

My name is Fred, and I live in Toronto Canada, I’m a lurker and rarely post, but have a few issues and suggestions regarding the current design of Squeezepad 1.3.0

To begin with, let me say, I LOVE this Application.

Once all the Album Art was updated with large/quality images, and tagged correctly, this App truly shines.

Truthfully, I am using the IPAD more and more in Portrait mode, while in a docking station beside my Stereo, and use the standard remote to select my Music.

This configuration reminds me of days gone by, when I would put the current album playing on the turntable, on display, beside my Stereo.

Anyways, below are a few issues and design suggestions, I would very much like you to consider for a future release.

ISSUES

I more or less always have my Squeezebox playing Random Songs from my collection. If I don’t like a song, I simply skip to the next one. Often, I find the Squeezepad application automatically exiting itself (after approx 50 songs or so). Not sure why this happens and my only solution is to restart the Application, until it does it again. (needless to say this is very frustrating and I am surprise no one else is experiencing this)

Next, even though both Biography and Album Review plug-ins work under iPeng, I’ve yet to make it work under Squeezepad. (it does “search” but always comes back with a "not found" message) Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but would very much like to take advantage of these plug-ins. Perhaps you can give me some suggestions on making it work

DESIGN SUGGESTIONS

Again, since I use Squeezepad in Portrait mode, more and more, it would be very nice if I had the ability to select the next song easily, from the IPAD, without having to exit from Portrait to Landscape, select the next song, and then put the IPAD back in its docking station and back in Portrait mode. Perhaps, for starters, a simple forward and back arrow symbol could be added at the bottom of the portrait screen to facilitate. With this design, to return to landscape mode, one would have to touch the top half/Album art specifically, not anywhere else on the screen.

Is there a way that the users can select his/her own background colors, borders, fonts to change the color scheme of Squeezebox to suit each individuals taste. The default landscape layout colors, although nice, really doesn’t do anything for me. I would LOVE to see the ability to select black or “glass” backgrounds/borders to make the Squeezebox truly “sexy”.

This is more so important for me when in portrait mode. I would love if the ability existed to select the background/border/font colors or potentially emboss or create effects, such as light, on the Album cover and background itself. Perhaps this is a tall order and not easily done, but perhaps something like plug-ins can be designed to allow users of Squeezepad to select there preferred appearance/layout.

I may be a minority, but as you can see by my above suggestions, I am less concerned about the Squeezepads ability to do things (it currently does more or less everything I require) and more concerned about appearances and configurability.

Again thanx for taking the time to make this wonderful Application, and perhaps you can consider a few of the above design suggestions.

Cheers, Fred in Toronto, Canada

bluegaspode
2010-09-15, 13:28
Hi Fred,

thanks for your ideas and suggestions ! These are very welcome.

This configuration reminds me of days gone by, when I would put the current album playing on the turntable, on display, beside my Stereo.
Good old times. Hope you still have a really comfortable big armchair too !

I more or less always have my Squeezebox playing Random Songs from my collection. If I don’t like a song, I simply skip to the next one. Often, I find the Squeezepad application automatically exiting itself (after approx 50 songs or so).
I have to admit that I never tested skipping that many songs.
From what you say this sounds like a possible memory bug (keeping all covers in memory) - though I'm always profiling that such things won't happen.
Nevertheless: in the last version I indeed found such a problem which is fixed in the version waiting for review from Apple - so this issue might get solved this very week.

But this error could also be something different I don't want to take chances. If you sync your iPad with iTunes you will find crashlogs at the following places:
* Mac OS X : ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
* Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/<DEVICE_NAME>
* Windows Vista: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>

Just send them over to 'support at squeezepad.com' and I can have a better look.

Next, even though both Biography and Album Review plug-ins work under iPeng, I’ve yet to make it work under Squeezepad. (it does “search” but always comes back with a "not found" message) Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but would very much like to take advantage of these plug-ins. Perhaps you can give me some suggestions on making it work

I have no idea what could be causing this.
Both work fine for me and I'm using them a lot of times. It's strange that iPeng shows them though - but on the other hand in certain areas both Apps use different strategies.

Do you own any of the SqueezePlay based devices (Touch, Radio or Controller) ? Does the plugin work on these devices ?

Again, since I use Squeezepad in Portrait mode, more and more, it would be very nice if I had the ability to select the next song easily, from the IPAD, without having to exit from Portrait to Landscape
I'm thinking about showing some controls when touching the screen (and having a 'Back-Button' then.))
Since now I thought that this wouldn't make much sense, because with a single Touch one would see the controls anyway.
But you have an argument and put your idea on the backlog for future considerations (album art caching and better playlists are first though)

Is there a way that the users can select his/her own background colors, borders, fonts to change the color scheme of Squeezebox to suit each individuals taste.
I don't plan to make the looks configurable.
Anyway - your wishes might have been heard because a fellow guy from Toronto made a suggestion to overhaul the interface.

I just finished a small video presentation where you can have a peek about what is about to come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TqeUJlC4

Unfortunately this update is waiting for review now already for 9 days :(.
At least this makes hope that review will be finished this week and you will get an update.

I would love if the ability existed to select the background/border/font colors or potentially emboss or create effects, such as light, on the Album cover and background itself.
Though I don't plan to make it configurable I think we can still make the screensafer mode more sexy with some simple effects!
Thanks for this suggestion - as this might be very simple maybe we will have something now in one of the following updates.

Again thanx for taking the time to make this wonderful Application, and perhaps you can consider a few of the above design suggestions.

Thanks for taking some time yourself. I'm sure some of your wishes will come true already with the next update ... some others still this year.

Keep on rocking and greeting to the Niagara Falls.

dem
2010-09-15, 16:54
I just finished a small video presentation where you can have a peek about what is about to come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TqeUJlC4

That looks really nice! That pretty new icon might have to go in my dock.

I know it's a small detail, but one of my favorite things shown in the video was how the seek control smoothly drops away when you switch to an unseekable stream.

Come on Apple, I've already checked the App Store 12 times today...

bluegaspode
2010-09-15, 22:58
I know it's a small detail, but one of my favorite things shown in the video was how the seek control smoothly drops away when you switch to an unseekable stream.
Wow I didn't think someone would ever recognize !
I will tell you wen Apple finally reviewed it here.

MeesterP
2010-09-16, 03:56
Hi,

All of a sudden, my squeezepad app doesn't want to connect anymore to mysqueezebox.com on Port 9000.
Yesterday I had no troubles, and today no show.
My squeezebox is ok, because I am able to controle it from the squeezebox website. it's just the app that doesn't want to connect.

Who has any ideas what might be the problem here?

Thanks,
Paul

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-09-16, 07:27
Hi,

All of a sudden, my squeezepad app doesn't want to connect anymore to mysqueezebox.com on Port 9000.
Yesterday I had no troubles, and today no show.
My squeezebox is ok, because I am able to controle it from the squeezebox website. it's just the app that doesn't want to connect.

Who has any ideas what might be the problem here?

Thanks,
Paul

Are you using ipeng to switch players from squeezebox server to mysqueezebox.com?I have found that sometimes this sometimes creates a problem with squeezepad crashing .If i switch my players to the squeezebox server with ipeng and then back to mysqueezebox,squeezepad will then work properly and connect .

Ipeng player switching and Squeezepad are not playing nice together.

MeesterP
2010-09-16, 07:38
Hi,
Thanks for responding.
No, I do not use ipeng.
at this time the problem solved itself. Maybe MySB.com had a glitch ?

bluegaspode
2010-09-16, 10:05
Ipeng player switching and Squeezepad are not playing nice together.
Do that myself now and then and never faced a crash.
Do you see any pattern where you can reproduce it ?

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-09-16, 10:13
Do that myself now and then and never faced a crash.
Do you see any pattern where you can reproduce it ?

I don't see any pattern but Ive reproduced it twice already where Squeezepad
will crash immediately upon trying to open.It will refuse to open until I use
ipeng to switch the players to the sb server and then still using ipeng to switch them immediately back to mysqueezebox.Then I can reopen Squeezepad.

I don't remember if I started a song when i had them on sb server but it was the only way to get Squeezepad to reopen.A reinstall of the app didn't resolve the issue.

bluegaspode
2010-09-16, 10:28
I don't see any pattern but Ive reproduced it twice already where Squeezepad
will crash immediately upon trying to open.It will refuse to open until I use
ipeng to switch the players to the sb server and then still using ipeng to switch them immediately back to mysqueezebox.Then I can reopen Squeezepad.

I don't remember if I started a song when i had them on sb server but it was the only way to get Squeezepad to reopen.A reinstall of the app didn't resolve the issue.

I heard of a crash issue when you open SqueezePad with a player connected to MySB.com that was off (i.e. showing the clock) for some time (couldn't reproduce it yet though :( )
Could that be the same issue (and that your switching just turned on the player) ? So if it happens again maybe just try to turn on the player.

As said I'm still trying to get my SqueezePad to crash with MySB.com but I'm not able to.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-09-16, 10:36
I heard of a crash issue when you open SqueezePad with a player connected to MySB.com that was off (i.e. showing the clock) for some time (couldn't reproduce it yet though :( )
Could that be the same issue (and that your switching just turned on the player) ? So if it happens again maybe just try to turn on the player.

As said I'm still trying to get my SqueezePad to crash with MySB.com but I'm not able to.

I'm think that this is the same issue you mentioned here.

Fredly
2010-09-16, 12:40
Stefan, Fred here in Toronto Canada

Thanx for responding so quickly to my questions/suggestions.

I took a look at your latest video posted on youtube. I LIKE what I see, especially the new color layout (I guess it was that blue in version 1.3.0, that was not to my liking) and the integrated buttons for quick access to Home etc, very nice touch.

The latest version looks like a winner, and seems to address some of my original issues, so I look forward to test driving this latest version, once released by Apple.

Just for your information, I did finally get Album Reviews and Biography plug-ins working, but only once I access them via the large album art on the right hand side, THEN I could access from both Album Art and left hand Album menu. (Truth is, it easily could have been something on my side, so I wouldn’t worry about this too much)

At the same time, I also retrieved “Artists Photos” from the sub-menu, and they only show up as small thumbnails, not sure if this is the same in the latest version of Squeezepad but I would be nice if the photos were a bit bigger or a slide show feature was available (but now I’m being picky)

Anyways, thanx for this fantastic product and look forward the latest and future versions of this product.

Cheers, Fred in Toronto

dem
2010-09-16, 18:29
Come on Apple, I've already checked the App Store 12 times today...
It's finally there, and it's beautiful.

bluegaspode
2010-09-16, 21:52
It's finally there, and it's beautiful.

So you haven been faster than me :D ...

Most obvious change in this version is the looks of course !
Many thanks go to a Canadian guy who helped me a lot doing this design.

Some other stuff of course comes along with this version:

Shortcuts to the artists, albums and internet radio menus
A long requested 'home' button (long touch on the menu title still works)
Context menus resize based on the menu-item count. This makes you scroll less often.
No index/sections for menus where they don't make sense (i.e. menus with less than 20 items or menus that have sections with just one menuitem)
If you have Classical Music the Now-Playing Screen shows the name of the composer if there is no artist in the tags (doesn't work in menus though)
No out-of-place icons on the home menu (happened for Transporter owners)
support of MySqueezebox.com over a 3G connection and better compatibility with iPeng: If you used MySqueezebox.com over 3G it didn't work with WLAN and vice-versa. Also it could happen that if you started with SqueezePad and 3G, iPeng couldn't connect to MySB.com anymore.
These issues are resolved now. In rare cases (if you successfully connected to MySB.com via 3G before) this unfortunately won't work anymore. Please contact support to get instructions on how to resolve this issue.

Hope you like it - if so don't forget to spread the word :D
As promised the next milestone is to rework the playlists feature and maybe even implement some caching of the albums and arists menu for those of you that have huge collections or slow NASes...

panos_k75
2010-09-17, 00:32
Graphics look polished so I will give it a go...however i would still like to see bigger cover arts like the link the below

http://www.cepro.com/images/uploads/control4_ipad_music.jpg

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 01:06
Graphics look polished so I will give it a go...however i would still like to see bigger cover arts like the link the below

http://www.cepro.com/images/uploads/control4_ipad_music.jpg

Hi panos_k75,

when I have finished the next milestone, I'll redo the poll like done here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575&highlight=squeezepad to get a clear indication what the next steps should be.

peter
2010-09-17, 01:54
First impression: excellent.
Looks and feels much better.

Thanks!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:52 -0700, "bluegaspode"
<bluegaspode.4hf2nz1284699241 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> dem;577082 Wrote:
> > It's finally there, and it's beautiful.
>
> So you haven been faster than me :D ...
>
> Most obvious change in this version is the looks of course !
> Many thanks go to a Canadian guy who helped me a lot doing this design.
>
> Some other stuff of course comes along with this version:
>
> - Shortcuts to the artists, albums and internet radio menus
> - A long requested 'home' button (long touch on the menu title still
> works)
> - Context menus resize based on the menu-item count. This makes you
> scroll less often.
> - No index/sections for menus where they don't make sense (i.e.
> menus with less than 20 items or menus that have sections with just
> one menuitem)
> - If you have Classical Music the Now-Playing Screen shows the name
> of the composer if there is no artist in the tags (doesn't work in
> menus though)
> - No out-of-place icons on the home menu (happened for Transporter
> owners)
> - support of MySqueezebox.com over a 3G connection and better
> compatibility with iPeng: If you used MySqueezebox.com over 3G it
> didn't work with WLAN and vice-versa. Also it could happen that if
> you started with SqueezePad and 3G, iPeng couldn't connect to
> MySB.com anymore.
> These issues are resolved now. In rare cases (if you successfully
> connected to MySB.com via 3G before) this unfortunately won't work
> anymore. Please contact support to get instructions on how to resolve
> this issue.
>
>
> Hope you like it - if so don't forget to spread the word :D
> As promised the next milestone is to rework the playlists feature and
> maybe even implement some caching of the albums and arists menu for
> those of you that have huge collections or slow NASes...
>
>
> --
> bluegaspode
>
> Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
> + iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com) *!
> Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
> not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
> Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
> 'Headphone Switcher Applet'
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)
>
> Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 1xSB-Radio
> Server (7.5.1) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
> Digital MyBook Essential.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bluegaspode's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31651
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80553
>
>

peter
2010-09-17, 02:04
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:06 -0700, "bluegaspode"
<bluegaspode.4hfbnb1284710881 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> when I have finished the next milestone, I'll redo the poll like done
> here
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575&highlight=squeezepad
> to get a clear indication what the next steps should be.

A few things:

Could you sort the player list alphabetically? I have 6 players and they
seem to be in random order now.

Are you caching the album art on the device? I like browsing the album
list, but I have to wait for the pix to come up as I scroll. I'd be
willing to sacrifice storage space to store lo res thumbnails for that
purpose. (perhaps optional) I think instant album thumbnails would be a
great improvement in the feel of the application.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Peter

MadScientist
2010-09-17, 02:16
I'm a recent iPad owner and appreciate your efforts. I'm looking forward to trying the update tonight.

In your next poll please include 'integration with the IRBlaster plugin' as one of the options to vote on. For me at least, being able to select the music and control my sound procesor/amp volume from a single device is an important feature.

Cheers, MS

panos_k75
2010-09-17, 02:37
I'm a recent iPad owner and appreciate your efforts. I'm looking forward to trying the update tonight.

In your next poll please include 'integration with the IRBlaster plugin' as one of the options to vote on. For me at least, being able to select the music and control my sound procesor/amp volume from a single device is an important feature.

Cheers, MS

Coming from iPEng I assumed all these features were there...yeah agreed this is really important for me too. Thx.

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 03:19
what needs to be done for IRBlaster ?
How does it integrate into normal SqueezePlay based devices (Touch/Radio/Controller) ?

Is it just that you need to be able to use the volume slider ?

MadScientist
2010-09-17, 04:52
what needs to be done for IRBlaster ?
How does it integrate into normal SqueezePlay based devices (Touch/Radio/Controller) ?

Is it just that you need to be able to use the volume slider ?

Yes, with volume fixed at 100% in e.g. SB3 or Transporter, changing the volume sends IR command via IRBlaster to e.g. your amp or processor. I'm not fully aware of what integration would involve.

Edit: the volume slider may not be the best interface since there's no feedback from the 3rd party amp regardig its volume position. Up/dowm arrows or the equivilant would be better.

This is a nice-to-have feature but I relalise that there will be higher priorites. It would be nice to see it on a list to be voted on though.

MS

panos_k75
2010-09-17, 10:01
hi

it looks nice...a few things to be polished but in general it's very pleasant to look at and use...my album covers in the browsing section though look a little blurry compared to Ipeng.

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 10:38
hi

it looks nice...a few things to be polished but in general it's very pleasant to look at and use...my album covers in the browsing section though look a little blurry compared to Ipeng.

I'm asking the Squeezebox-Server for the resized images in 65x65. They are the same as used on the Squeezebox-Touch.

mherger
2010-09-17, 10:55
I'm asking the Squeezebox-Server for the resized images in 65x65. They are the same as used on the Squeezebox-Touch.

Touch uses 64x64...

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 11:43
Touch uses 64x64...

yeah - right! Thats what I'm using. 64x64. Typo above.
Wanted to reuse the server-image-cache if the user has a Touch.

Pixelpopper
2010-09-17, 12:13
Hi congratulations

A considerable improvement, usability has improved tremendously.
The colour scheme really is much easier on the eyes.

A couple of things I am interested in:- iPad user

Is there any possibility of fitting a search button next to the home button, so that searches can be triggered from anywhere?

A screen wide scrolling search through artwork and tap on album art to play.

Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue with my NAS DRIVE (Synology), iPad or squeeze pad. When playing, a whole cd for example, the link to the nas seems to drop. When I access squeeze pad again it takes a couple of minutes to reconnect to the nas (running squeeze server) even though the album may only be part way through, any idea would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 12:23
When I access squeeze pad again it takes a couple of minutes to reconnect to the nas (running squeeze server) even though the album may only be part way through, any idea would be welcome.
Could you describe in more details how this reconnection looks like ?
Just an empty screen with 'loading players' on top.
Or an endless flashing 'disconnect/connect' loop ?

Your Squeezebox keeps on playing ?
Does it have a white connection icon when this is happening ?

The more observations, the easier possible explanations :D...

You could also activate the 'cometd'-logging on your server (see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=564512&postcount=63). There we could analyze any connection attempt of SqueezePad.

Pixelpopper
2010-09-17, 14:14
Hi again,

The flashing connect/reconnect loop happens for a couple of minutes before the connection is re-established but no white connection icon is present.

I will get the logging setup asap and post the results.

Paul

bluegaspode
2010-09-17, 14:28
Hi again,

The flashing connect/reconnect loop happens for a couple of minutes before the connection is re-established but no white connection icon is present.

I will get the logging setup asap and post the results.

Paul
I'd also be interested if you get a faster reconnection if you just restart SqueezePad.
On the 'disconnected'-banner there is also a small reason for the disconnection, maybe you can read it (though it disappears very fast).
To not spoil this thread don't hesitate to contact me via 'support at squeezepad dot com'.

bluegaspode
2010-09-18, 00:53
Anyone here speaking Japanese ?
Got my first AppStore Comment over in Japan ... but how should I now what it means ?
Google Translate is not a big help on this one ;) ...

まず、日本でSqueezeBoxを使ってるひとは少ないと思うけど、その少数のユーザーには おすすめです
iPengのiPad版が無いと御嘆きのSqueezeBoxユーザーは、これをどうぞ
一つ前のバージョンから使ってましたが、見た目があまり褒めたもんじゃない状態ながら、使い勝手は悪くなか った。
今回の新バージョンは、基本レイアウトをそのまま維持して、細かい「見てくれ」にこだわって作り込んだのが 効を奏したとおもう。
プレーヤーのセレクタ上にSqueezeBoxの機種ごとのイメージが表示される。 これは以前iPengの2つ前のバージョンでもやってたけど、たぶん権利問題かなんかで、いまはもっと模式 的なイメージに後退しちゃっている。そのぶん逆に評価が高いが、将来の懸念でもある。
そういう将来の「お楽しみ」も含めて、少し高いフィーを払う価値があると思う。 ただし、あなたがSqueezeBoxのユーザーならば、ね

Globalization is a funny thing. Need to expand my 'Department of Cross-Country Communication' it seems :D

goobi
2010-09-18, 02:15
Bluegaspode this new design is fantastic. Even the new symbol with the dark blue background looks great

Sometimes the Internet just makes me shake my head. Who would imagine someone from Germany would get help from someone iin Canada in this great app on a US based product for a user in Australia

What a truly international world. It's a little embarrassing for us Aussies because we only know one language. Here is Bluegaspode developing this great app and putting up YouTube videos and providing support in both German and English

bluegaspode
2010-09-18, 02:46
Goobi, if you try hard you can speak American along your well sounding British English !
So two languages also for you *g*.

abelincoln
2010-09-18, 06:19
How do you shuffle songs in Playlists such as "My Top Rated"? I have the shuffle songs option checked in settings but it is not shuffling.

Also why do you have an internet radio icon on the bottom now? I would rather see a Playlist or My Apps on the bottom. I think that would be more useful.

Great app though definitely worth purchasing.

ccdalla
2010-09-18, 14:58
So, since upgrading to the latest version of Squeezepad, the menus are pretty much empty- I can navigate to my player ("Living room"), but from there, there are no options for accessing my music library, searching, looking at the current playllist, and so on.

Anyone else having this problem?

-----------------------
Interesting- after restarting Squeezepad a couple of times, it finally started working correctly. Very odd. Even the "settings" menu was empty.

bluegaspode
2010-09-18, 15:40
So, since upgrading to the latest version of Squeezepad, the menus are pretty much empty- I can navigate to my player ("Living room"), but from there, there are no options for accessing my music library, searching, looking at the current playllist, and so on.

Anyone else having this problem?

-----------------------
Interesting- after restarting Squeezepad a couple of times, it finally started working correctly. Very odd. Even the "settings" menu was empty.

This can happen, when your server (MySB.com ?) is a bit slow from time to time.
The menus are empty indeed when one chooses a player but typically in under a second the server sends the actual entries.

How do you shuffle songs in Playlists such as "My Top Rated"? I have the shuffle songs option checked in settings but it is not shuffling.
Where do you get the 'My Top Rated' playlist ?
Anyway - for me SB-Server reshuffles the playlist everytime I add a new song.

Also why do you have an internet radio icon on the bottom now? I would rather see a Playlist or My Apps on the bottom. I think that would be more useful.
I'm afraid there is no 'right' selection for everyone. If I changed internet radio against MyApps others would complain. Maybe this will be configurable in the future.
Playlists get a dedicated button when the next major feature upgrade comes.

davep
2010-09-18, 23:57
Anyone here speaking Japanese ?
Got my first AppStore Comment over in Japan ... but how should I now what it means ?
Google Translate is not a big help on this one ;) ...

As it happens I can help here, being married to a Japanese translator. The comment you got on the App Store said:

"
I guess there aren't many people who are using SqueezeBox in Japan, but this is something I recommend to those few. If you are a SqueezeBox user and are complaining that there is no iPad version of iPeng, here is the one for you. I've been using this since the previous version. It wasn't bad in terms of ease of use, although the appearance wasn't very nice at all. This new version is a success because they added a more detailed appearance whilst keeping the basic layout as before. An image of your SqueezeBox is shown on the selector of the player. This was also a function iPeng of 2 generations before the current one, but probably because of a problem with the patent or something it's now more of a stylised image. This has led to a better review for SqueezePad, but it's a worry for the future. Even allowing for such an "unknown" for the future, I believe this one is worth the high price. Only if you are a SqueezeBox user, that is.
"

Hope that helps. So, how about those player images - are they going to stay?

davep

erland
2010-09-19, 01:22

Who is going to complain ? Logitech ?
Because it makes their hardware look too good ?

If I've understood it correctly, iPeng removed its icons because people thought they were ugly but I might have missed something ?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=567014#post567014

bluegaspode
2010-09-19, 01:42

davep

Hi davep, many thanks, so much better than google translate!
The images are going to stay. They were drawn from scratch. No copyright or trademark problems to be expected, just because there is a certain similarity with some known devices.

iPeng to my knowing even used original footage, but also was allowed to do so. At least pippin felt very confident about that, when I talked to him about that once.

moochman
2010-09-19, 08:58
I have multiple Squeezeboxes running in my home (different zones). The boxes sync just fine but it would be nice to have a master volume for all the boxes that are synced. Right now I have to jump from box to box to control the volume.(unless I'm missing something) Other then that I love the new look and how your product performs, keep up the good work !!

Thanks

bluegaspode
2010-09-19, 09:20
I have multiple Squeezeboxes running in my home (different zones). The boxes sync just fine but it would be nice to have a master volume for all the boxes that are synced. Right now I have to jump from box to box to control the volume.(unless I'm missing something) Other then that I love the new look and how your product performs, keep up the good work !!

Thanks

Hi moochman,
thanks for this suggestion.

watch out for a new poll like this one (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575) after I finished the reworked playlists.
Better syncing features are on the roadmap and it just depends how my customers prioritize stuff.
As I'm a sole developer unfortunately one thing has to come after the other :D

mskvarenina
2010-09-19, 11:14
I just downloaded this app. It's a great replacement for the controller which is not user friendly. One feature that needs to be there though is the ability to click on the album cover and see all the available songs to play.

bluegaspode
2010-09-19, 11:35
I just downloaded this app. It's a great replacement for the controller which is not user friendly. One feature that needs to be there though is the ability to click on the album cover and see all the available songs to play.

Thats available already.
When you are in the menu and touch the album text (not the cover) then you'll see the album titles.
Also when an album is already playing you can long-touch the big coverart on the right and a context menu will appear. There is an option to show the album (and its titles) as well.

havoc1
2010-09-21, 15:11
Nice update matey with the new version - this is a big step forward.

jbhuffer
2010-09-21, 15:54
Nice update.. except I think there's a major bug. The new SqueezePad looked great for the minute there I got to use it. I went into settings and turned on the My Squeezebox switch to try that out. The app immediately crashed and now it crashes as soon as I try and open it. So I can't go back and turn the switch off. Tried restarting the iPad, that didn't help. A little help?

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-09-21, 17:49
Nice update.. except I think there's a major bug. The new SqueezePad looked great for the minute there I got to use it. I went into settings and turned on the My Squeezebox switch to try that out. The app immediately crashed and now it crashes as soon as I try and open it. So I can't go back and turn the switch off. Tried restarting the iPad, that didn't help. A little help?

I have seen this too.the only way to rectify it is to turn all of your players to the squeezebox server,then
Connect your players to them and then switch your players back to mysqueezebox ( manually do this for each player). See if that works.
You may need to play a song on the squeezebox server before you switch back .

This should allow you to reopen squeeze pad and back to normal.

bluegaspode
2010-09-21, 20:50
The app immediately crashed and now it crashes as soon as I try and open it.

Update: as of this morning, SqueezePad 1.4.1 was released, which fixes this bug.
Just download via your AppStore

amcluesent
2010-09-22, 00:26
Excellent update! UI is a greatly improved.

In the development plan, please add-in support for people with large classical music collections.

Things like -

1) Allow album/artist/radio buttons to be configurable to list library by GENRE and COMPOSER tags
2) In the now-playing display (standard and full screen), allocated space for contents of COMPOSER, PERFORMER and BAND tags and display if there.

bluegaspode
2010-09-22, 01:15
This morning a bugfix release is available via the AppStore.
It fixes crashs and strange behaviours for MySqueezebox.com users:

- no crash for new users when trying to register to mysb.com
- fixed issue with mysb.com sending different languages for the menu
- fixed crash when mysb.com sends empty menu-items

bluegaspode
2010-09-22, 01:17
2) In the now-playing display (standard and full screen), allocated space for contents of COMPOSER, PERFORMER and BAND tags and display if there.
I already show the Composer (instead of Artist) on the NowPlaying screen for classical music. Does this work for you ?

amcluesent
2010-09-22, 01:44
>I already show the Composer (instead of Artist)<

Yep, works. But 99% of my library has both artist and composer :)

bluegaspode
2010-09-22, 03:51
>I already show the Composer (instead of Artist)<

Yep, works. But 99% of my library has both artist and composer :)

Damn.
My reference 'classical-music'-user doesn't have the artist tags, thats why it worked so good for him.

Um - just curious - who is the artist anyway for classical music? Isn't the whole orchestra playing ?
(Sorry for this dumb question, my experience with classical music is limited to the one wedding song from the chapel I had to choose :D )

I wouldn't want to change the whole layout yet to allow more or other lines.
If you decide that composer is generally more important than artist I could very easily provide one option like 'prefer composer over artist' or the like.
Then everytime if the composer-tag is filled it would be used instead of the artist.
I wouldn't want to go further with customizing the NowPlaying screen for now - all other information should be available on the context-menu anyway.

panos_k75
2010-09-22, 08:05
I am still having problems with the small artwork..it comes up quite fussy and not sharp. Is this down to re-sampling on the application, the server or am I doing something wrong as far as artwork is concerned? in iPeng is much sharper.

amcluesent
2010-09-22, 08:28
>I wouldn't want to change the whole layout yet to allow more or other lines.<

Fair enough. TBH, given the multiple 'right' ways of tagging classical proposed on the 'ripping/tagging' forum you won't please everyone until you have a layout editor for the now playing screen to bind tags to screen widgets. (Bit like the MusicInfoScreen plugin)

>Isn't the whole orchestra playing ?<

My preference is to put into ARTIST a concatenation of the soloist (if there is one), orchestra/ensemble and conductor (if there is one) so it's simple to search for any name I think of.

Soloist gets named in PERFORMER and BAND is used for ensemble/orchestra name.

bluegaspode
2010-09-22, 08:32
I am still having problems with the small artwork..it comes up quite fussy and not sharp. Is this down to re-sampling on the application, the server or am I doing something wrong as far as artwork is concerned? in iPeng is much sharper.

Is it maybe because the icons in iPeng are just bigger (and thus seem to be sharper) ?.
As said: scaling happens on the server - I don't have no influence on it. If you used a program like 'SqueezePlay' or a Touch or a Radio icons would look the same.

One idea: on the server one can influence the quality of images.
There is an Option Settings->Advanced->Performance->Artwork Resampling.
Maybe you changed that to 'faster, lower quality' ?

panos_k75
2010-09-22, 11:41
No all my artwork settings have been set for maximum quality. Is there any chance u could consider making the artwork larger? It's a shame with such a lovely screen estate to display them even smaller than IPeng.. Thanks

On a side note: your UI is very nice although some more icons are needed for things like: rating, shuffle, power etc. Also u should consider making the reflection of the cover art a little more subtle..it looks a little unnatural..on the usability side of things i have no complains..very nice job