PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Remote

millerlitescott
2010-07-18, 19:22
I was sitting last night listening to my Touch on my main system thinking about how I would like my Squeezebox Touch to work with my life style.

I think that there should be a battery powered remote with the touch screen capabilities of the Touch and the size (or bigger) of the Touch as the wifi remote for a duet style component box that housed all the workings of the Touch. It would also be nice if the box was able to put out video to a display if available. This way you could use it at the listening position or in the backyard as long as your wifi signal was strong enough to control the unit. It could be a nice feature at a party where everyone has access to the music available on the host's computer or wifi system.

Just thinking out loud.

Scott

flattermann
2010-07-19, 01:24
Sounds like you need an iPad with the upcoming iPeng-for-iPad.

Or an Android tablet with the upcoming SqueezeCommander-for-Android-Tablets. :-)

millerlitescott
2010-07-20, 10:57
Flattermann,

I think that it should be a squeezebox product rather than a third party. Essentially a duet with a touchscreen remote and it would be cool if you could output video to your display (like apple TV) to show what was playing and possibly handle video's, movies etc.

Scott

spile
2010-07-21, 04:45
You can purchase a Duet romote for use with a Touch can't you?

millerlitescott
2010-07-21, 14:26
My point is that it would be cool to have a Touch Screen remote the size of the Touch or bigger that you could put any where in your house or have it with you in your listening position. I use my Touch as a source for my whole house sound and as a source for my main rig.

I think it is a natural, more user friendly evolution from the current Duet controller. I know you can use wifi phones to do this but I don't have one and to me it makes sense for Squeezebox to make this sort of remote for their product.

Again just thinking out loud.

Scott

aubuti
2010-07-21, 15:07
I know you can use wifi phones to do this but I don't have one and to me it makes sense for Squeezebox to make this sort of remote for their product.
Not only wifi phones, but also non-phone devices like the iPod Touch. I think that Logitech would have a hard time coming (late) to market with a single-purpose device that would likely cost more than multipurpose devices. Look at the cost of the Harmony remotes, which have the touchscreen but don't do wifi. I haven't been following the Logitech Revue developments, but even that new remote (Harmony Link) seems IR-based rather than wifi. The blog post by a Logitech VP saying "If you have a device that uses a remote control, chances are that it uses IR." also makes me think Logi's not going to be pushing new wifi remotes soon, touchscreen or otherwise. (see http://blog.logitech.com/2010/06/04/a-peek-under-the-hood-google-tv-and-logitech-harmony-link/)

A little further from "home", not long ago Sonos introduced a single-purpose remote that fits your description and also released a free iPhone app. I'd love to know which of those is more popular among Sonos users.

pski
2010-07-21, 18:11
My point is that it would be cool to have a Touch Screen remote the size of the Touch or bigger that you could put any where in your house or have it with you in your listening position. I use my Touch as a source for my whole house sound and as a source for my main rig.

I think it is a natural, more user friendly evolution from the current Duet controller. I know you can use wifi phones to do this but I don't have one and to me it makes sense for Squeezebox to make this sort of remote for their product.

Again just thinking out loud.

Scott

See the Nokia 800 or 900. If you're willing, the Nokia 770.

I've used the 770 for a long time to view (properly encoded) movies on long air journeys. (They also play music and show pics at 800x480.)

P

see

http:<your SBS address>:9000/nokia770

where SBS address can be "http:/LOCALHOST/9000/nokia770" if you are on the same machine running SBS.