Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardw
    • Aug 2009

What's next or is this it?

I am surprised there has been no discussion about the Transporter being dropped here or maybe there was and I missed it. First off, I am bummed that they have decided to let it go. It has been one of my favorite pieces since getting involved in audio. Anyone know if there is something in the works? I guess my gut says no and Logitech feels as if the Touch is more the niche they are comfortable with. Just curious what you folks think...
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

Where did you see an announcement that it was dropped? I certainly think the TP's days are numbered at Logitech, because it's just a part of the business they don't know very well or have any comparative advantage in.

If you're referring to the absence of the TP on the Logitech web, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because their web site is a disaster. Or at least the SB part of their web site is.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
    Bedroom: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• JJZolx
      • Apr 2005

It's no longer being sold on the US web site. Also, I see a few dealers on Audiogon who previously sold new units are now reduced to selling refurbs. Logitech must be clearing out the last of the last.

The end for the Transporter has been a long time coming and probably would have happened long ago if they sold faster.

Don't expect a replacement.

Comment

• richardw
        • Aug 2009

Yes, those are the indicators along with a few more. I assumed all of you guys knew. Sure is a drag. Would not think that it would take much to continue it's evolution and I sure would guess that it was successful.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
          • Apr 2005

> Would not think that it would take much
          > to continue it's evolution and I sure would guess that it was
          > successful.

Are you serious? Its old platform, it would have to be completely
          redesigned from the ground up to use the current platform.

It was a fun lark for Sean and Dean, but never sold in any volume, and
          was too "computer" for the audiophile purists, and too high priced for
          consumers.

Suppose someone wanted to make a TP-2, it would be what percent "better"
          than the initial TP, in what area would you put the engineering?

He's dead, Jim

--
          Pat Farrell

Pat
          http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• iPhone
            • Oct 2007

Say Goodbye once stock ends

I have to agree with Pat. The displays are EOL and it needs two. I think as soon as all the available parts (read populated PCBs) are in a chassis, that will be it for the TP. If somebody wants one, I say buy one now.

The Touch also comes close on the digital side at a much reduced cost and the Touch makes a great digital transport for ones excellent DAC.

The TP is such a niche product in the first place and the TP II would be even more of one in my opinion even if it managed to be a huge step above the TP to get current TP owners to also replace their current TP. Read not a prayer of a TP II anytime soon. I think it would be a long wait even if Sean and Dean were allowed to make TPs again as well as any model higher then that (can't see that happening).

I have ideas of what would make for a TP II, but its not time to start a new business selling $2500 NMPs.
            iPhone
            Media Room:
            ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
            Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
            Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
            Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
            Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
            Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
            Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
            Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• wayne325
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by richardw
              I am surprised there has been no discussion about the Transporter being dropped here or maybe there was and I missed it. First off, I am bummed that they have decided to let it go. It has been one of my favorite pieces since getting involved in audio. Anyone know if there is something in the works? I guess my gut says no and Logitech feels as if the Touch is more the niche they are comfortable with. Just curious what you folks think...
              Logitech have not the slightest clue what to do with it. It tastes rancid
              to them so they spat it out. Took about 5 minutes...

Comment

• richardw
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by pfarrell
                > Would not think that it would take much
                > to continue it's evolution and I sure would guess that it was
                > successful.

Are you serious? Its old platform, it would have to be completely
                redesigned from the ground up to use the current platform.

It was a fun lark for Sean and Dean, but never sold in any volume, and
                was too "computer" for the audiophile purists, and too high priced for
                consumers.

Suppose someone wanted to make a TP-2, it would be what percent "better"
                than the initial TP, in what area would you put the engineering?

He's dead, Jim

--
                Pat Farrell
                http://www.pfarrell.com/
                Interesting perspective. I do not know the difference between platforms, sorry. What is this?

Do you know that it did not sell in volume or is this your assumption? Not a loaded question at all Pat. I don't know either way, just have my own assumption. I disagree with your statement about the "audio purist" however. My personal experience, with many, is that they more than excepted it and had been pretty much embraced...me included.

I do not have any notion on how to improve it but would guess that the dac could be as well as the analog section. What that involves is beyond my knowledge base but certainly it can be done. Dan Wrights changes to the analog section certainly were well received.

Comment

• Pat Farrell
                  • Apr 2005

> Interesting perspective. I do not know the difference between
                  > platforms, sorry. What is this?

The SB1, SB2, SB3 and Boom use essentially a hardwired specialized
                  controller, which was pretty dumb.

The Touch, and maybe the Radio (can't remember) are real full Linux
                  computers running a special internal OS, with programs, etc.

> Do you know that it did not sell in volume or is this your assumption?

I do not have official sales numbers, never heard anyone talk about it.
                  But one can get a good feel from hanging in this forum. I'm sure they
                  sold 100, I have no idea if they sold 1000. I'll bet more than a few
                  beers that they sold way under 10k

> My personal experience, with many, is that they more than
                  > excepted it and had been pretty much embraced...me included.

You are entitled to an opinion, but if you look at the reviews in TAS
                  and Stereophile, they lust after tubes and vinyl records.

> I do not have any notion on how to improve it but would guess that the
                  > dac could be as well as the analog section.

Actually, Sean put a ton of effort into the analog section, after the
                  DAC. Sure, it could be improved, but not without a ton of engineering.

You could put in a different DAC chip, might be better. But it won't be
                  a night and day difference. The current DAC is impressive.

> Dan Wrights changes to the analog section certainly were well received.

By a very small niche group, but you can't run a business that way. The
                  cost of electronics is not the cost of the parts. Its the engineering,
                  NRE, non-recurring engineering expense. The only way to lower the impact
                  of the NRE is to move more units.

--
                  Pat Farrell

Pat
                  http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• richardw
                    • Aug 2009

Pat I wish we lived close to the same tavern because I think you would be buying the beers!

Comment

• Teus de Jong
                      • Feb 2008

I agree with iPhone and Pat Farrell that the chances for a 'enhanced' TP II are nil. But I see the Transporter still here on Logitechs website in the Netherlands and Germany. Also, wifimedia (www.wifimedia.eu) has several TP's in stock (in both silver and black). Amazon in Germany has 3 in stock. So it seems at the moment there are enough out there to get one if you want, but this could of course change at any time. (I also noted that the price is at the normal level of about 1900-2000 euro again, so they're not dumping the last at a bargain price, but just fading the product slowly out.)

Comment

• bhaagensen
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pfarrell
                        ...was too "computer" for the audiophile purists, and too high priced for
                        consumers.
                        While that may have been true, I don't think its a limitation anymore. All the big (and small) hi-fi manufactureres are now on the wagon and offering network-players (w. DAC's) at much higher prices than the TP ever sold for.

I think the most likely reason for the EOL of the TP and high-end Squeezeboxes in general is, as has been said before, that it simply isn't a type of product/market Logitech is interested in competing in. You might as well ask them to start building sport-cars (with builtin Squeezebox'es)...

Think about it. All things considered, in the broader perspective, why would it make sense for Logitech to continue the high-end network-player line? Can you think of a single solid argument? I really can't!

Comment

• bhaagensen
                          • Sep 2006

Oh, and as far as the OP goes. With the increasing quality of DAC's and in particular their digital input sections, the Touch may just be as good as any high-end offering when it comes to providing a converter with a digital signal.

In my mind this gives you the best of two worlds. The entire tried-and-tested Squeezebox-system with integration to all kinds of external services and with advanced features taking care of the digial side. And a DAC of your favourite choice to create the actual sound. Win-win... sorta!

Comment

• firedog
                            • May 2007

Tp2

I don't think it makes any sense for Logitech, as the high end audio companies have jumped onto the digital/networked audio wagon in a big way now.

There are lots of examples, such as the new PS Audio PWD with the digital bridge - does what the TP does and more. And I'm not putting down the TP.

The "audiophile" companies can probably better succeed in marketing units that cost multiple thousands of dollars - they already have the dealers and the trust of the consumers willing to spend that kind of money.
                            GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Isol Line conditioner/protection. iFi AC iPurifiers>CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS >Kii Control>Kii Three speakers.iFi iOne+ Schiit Freya Pre for analog. An SB Touch, Duet Controller, a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator in additional rooms.

Comment

• richardw
                              • Aug 2009

Agree with the comments above indicating that the HiFi world is well on their way to marketing "TP like" products but as you guys noted, for much more money. This is where the TP was a perfect product...audiophile at near real world dollars. I even prefer it to the PS mentioned, among others. I also do not see the Touch as able to perform at the same level. It may get close but in a game where we are trying to squeeze (no pun intended) every last step up in sound quality, it matters and matters much. I just know of nothing that does what it does and when some HiFi co does hit the mark it will be 5x's the cost.

Having , for lack of a better term, been around the industry, I know that product is one that sells and can be extremely profitable. Logitech sells custom made 1k ear phones for g's sake! They certainly would be better off with the TP!

Comment

Working...