PDA

View Full Version : New music query takes really long

SilverRS8
2010-07-07, 07:49
When I browse to My Music -> New music it takes to 20 seconds on the SBC or SBT to appear. When I do the same on my SB3 it takes less than a second. Anybody an idea why the difference is so great or better how I can improve the SBC and SBT performance?

milosz
2010-07-10, 13:35
I think this is related to the generally poor performance of the SQL database that is at the core of the server. It seems to me that the database was originally created when it ran on Pentium III's with 128 MB of RAM. Nowadays a more typical computer used as a Squeezeserver has at least two CPU cores and 2 GB of RAM, but the database doesn't take advantage of the power available. Logitech really needs to revamp the SQL core of Squeezeserver but database tuning experts cost $$ and after all Logitech doesn't make any money off the software....

There are discussion threads that explain how to change the SQL code to load more into RAM if your server has the RAM available. This seems to speed things up considerably. Using a RAM DISK can also speed things up a lot. Threads discuss that too.

JJZolx
2010-07-10, 14:19
When I browse to My Music -> New music it takes to 20 seconds on the SBC or SBT to appear. When I do the same on my SB3 it takes less than a second. Anybody an idea why the difference is so great or better how I can improve the SBC and SBT performance?

SBT = Touch? I don't own a Controller, but I don't see this behavior on my Touch. You're not using the built-in server on the Touch, are you?

Which version of Squeezebox Server are you running?

erland
2010-07-11, 01:44

Are you using the built-in SBS on the Touch or are you using a SBS installed on a computer ?

If you are using SBS on a computer, what is the "New Music Limit" parameter in SBS Settings/My Music set to ?
It might help to decrease this parameter so the New Music menu show less albums.

How large is your library ?

pomatomus
2010-07-13, 12:53
I had a similar problem develop over time, with a database of 26,000 albums or so. The delay was so long, the controller would time out waiting for it.

Clearing the cache and rescanning actually fixed the timeout issue, but listing new music is still slow.