PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic Display Off While Playing?

Apesbrain
2010-07-03, 06:35
Is it possible through a plugin or some other means to have the display on the Classic turn off while music is playing? Touch has a setting to allow this and its surprisingly nice to get rid of the distraction. Thanks if you reply.

peterw
2010-07-03, 07:08
You could either set the When Idle brightness to Dark, or use my BlankSaver plugin.

Apesbrain
2010-07-03, 10:11
Thanks Peter, I guess I'd never thought of "When Idle" in that way...

toby10
2010-07-03, 11:22
For day to day operation I set my SB3 and Boom to Idle = Dark, the screen comes alive again with any IR input.
The added advantage to Idle = Dark on the Boom is that this also makes the large knob = volume. How & why I dunno, but it works.
I've always hesitated to mention this for fear they might "fix" this as a bug. ;)

kidstypike
2010-07-03, 11:51
For day to day operation I set my SB3 and Boom to Idle = Dark, the screen comes alive again with any IR input.
The added advantage to Idle = Dark on the Boom is that this also makes the large knob = volume. How & why I dunno, but it works.
I've always hesitated to mention this for fear they might "fix" this as a bug. ;)

The large knob controls volume after ANY screensaver kicks in.

JJZolx
2010-07-03, 11:53

It's not always volume for you, is it? If so, you couldn't navigate. The large knob falls back to controlling volume after a timeout period, no matter what the brightness setting is. I think the timeout is the same as the idle timeout, so that any time the player is idle the knob does volume.

toby10
2010-07-03, 12:26
The large knob controls volume after ANY screensaver kicks in.

On mine, if the Now Playing screensaver is active (Idle = NOT Dark) then turning the knob scrolls (or tries to scroll) the NP screen.

toby10
2010-07-03, 12:29
It's not always volume for you, is it? If so, you couldn't navigate. The large knob falls back to controlling volume after a timeout period, no matter what the brightness setting is. I think the timeout is the same as the idle timeout, so that any time the player is idle the knob does volume.

No, it's Volume for a few seconds then it's a Nav knob again.
I'll try setting Brightness back to normal (Idle = NOT Dark) and see again, but I could never get knob = volume without that Idle setting (except when I first use the Volume rocker).

JJZolx
2010-07-03, 12:46
On mine, if the Now Playing screensaver is active (Idle = NOT Dark) then turning the knob scrolls (or tries to scroll) the NP screen.

I think the thing is that the screensaver states and the brightness states are unrelated. I've always found that confusing too. Even though it's in the 'Now Playing' SS, the player may be in the 'On' state for brightness. I think the knob behavior is more closely related to the brightness state.

kidstypike
2010-07-03, 13:20

Exactly!
When the the Now Playing screen is active, your Idle = dark screensaver hasn't kicked in. As soon as it goes dark, then your screensaver has kicked in, and the big knob controls the volume.

toby10
2010-07-04, 05:04
kids & JJ,

You are both indeed correct, my bad. When I got the chance this morning to try Idle = 5 the knob does act as Volume after the screensaver timeout.
I bet initially I wasn't waiting long enough for the screensaver timeout when I first tried Knob = Volume.
After setting Idle = Dark (I run my Boom 24/7) I was thrilled to find that Knob = Volume.
But now I realise it was just a coincidence in timing and usage.

Two years with my Boom and I'm STILL learning it's functions!
Thanks. :)