PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplay is

pski
2010-07-02, 22:24
Where?

How do I get the "current" (not nightly version?)

Paul

snarlydwarf
2010-07-02, 22:51
Where?

How do I get the "current" (not nightly version?)

Squeezeplay only exists in nightly versions, it's still (and may always be) betaware.

The only 'release' versions are those builds for SqueezeOS (Touch, Radio and Controller).

Milesse
2010-08-19, 06:45
Squeezeplay only exists in nightly versions, it's still (and may always be) betaware.
Why only beta ... Squeezeplay on my PC laptop is the PERFECT addition to all my 3 SqBoxes!!!

MelonMonkey
2010-08-19, 07:21
You don't need a Squeezebox when you have Squeezeplay. It's rather a conflict of interest when you're trying to sell hardware players. What I'm surprised at is that no one at Logitech has pushed through a version that doesn't play, but only controls, for the iPhone and iPad. Now that's a big missed opportunity.

garym
2010-08-19, 07:32
You don't need a Squeezebox when you have Squeezeplay. It's rather a conflict of interest when you're trying to sell hardware players. What I'm surprised at is that no one at Logitech has pushed through a version that doesn't play, but only controls, for the iPhone and iPad. Now that's a big missed opportunity.

True, it is a player. But it doesn't have the most important aspects of the players. First, it requires that your computer be connected directly to your stereo system (rather than being in the basement, back room closet, etc.). Second, it is using the soundcard of your computer (which could be very good or very crappy, and depending on your operating system may or not produce bit-perfect output....cf. windows XP and conversion from 44.1 to 48). Third, it doesn't have the same rock solid synching capabilities.

funkstar
2010-08-19, 10:28
Why only beta ... Squeezeplay on my PC laptop is the PERFECT addition to all my 3 SqBoxes!!!
The devs have said in the past, it just isn't a priority. There have been periods where SqueezePlay completely breaks and won't even compile for desktop use because of a change made for the hardware players (granted this hasn't happened in a long time). This has persisted until someone sat down and fixed things to let it compile and work on the desktop again. It's primary purpose is as a development and testing tool rather than being a software player.

Milesse
2010-08-19, 10:34
Fourth .. I use it only as an additional controller which make the SB-system sooooo much more convenient = using the Duet Controller in the kitchen, using SB Touch in our bedroom and in the living room I can use my laptop on a SBreceiver and on all different controllers I can control any room/all 3 SBoxes. If I didn't have Squeezeplay on my laptop I wouldn't use the SBoxes half as much. I would never play any music via PCs with crappy soundcards.

The Squeezeplay for Windows is the MOST important "plug-in" for me and I wouldn't have bought any more SBoxes if it didn't exist!!

MelonMonkey
2010-08-19, 11:11
But it doesn't have the most important aspects of the players.

You don't have to convince me, I own two Squeezeboxes. However, for the majority of people out there, you'd better believe that offering a free software-based player is going to cost Logitech some money.

For instance, I know a friend can't afford any of the existing Squeezebox models right now. I'm going to set up their computer system simply to distribute audio to their stereo system upstairs and it will be controlled from their iPod Touch using iPeng. How much money has Logitech made from this? $0.

Logitech need to start putting more attention into the Squeezebox line as they're completely off the radar now in terms of consumer and media mindshare. Any time anything about music streaming comes up, every reporter/blogger immediately mentions SONOS. Usually, Squeezebox is not mentioned at all.

I think leaving Squeezeplay on the back-burner is a good idea and they'd better start moving on some controller-only apps for popular handheld devices, as well as coming out with a few more player products. There's a market for commercial software as well, but the problem with this is that Logitech is a hardware company, and like many of their contemporaries, they can't seem to handle a Hardware+Software business very well, seeing software only as a support vehicle for the hardware, instead of its most important asset. Hardware is cheap, the value is all in software - and that's for pretty much all consumer electronics products.

While they're at it, they might consider making a decent web page so people can actually find out about the Squeezebox family - the current Logitech page is losing them a lot of sales. Compare to the Sonos page where you can find out almost everything you want about the product(s). Here's a neat thing to try.. Pretend you didn't know about this forum and now go to what you might find as the official Logitech page about Squeezbox and try to find this forum. Good luck.

snarlydwarf
2010-08-19, 11:19
While they're at it, they might consider making a decent web page so people can actually find out about the Squeezebox family - the current Logitech page is losing them a lot of sales.

Hey, I have an idea.. how about bringing back the old SlimDevices page.

That at least was functional.. the Logitech page is not only ugly, it doesn't even work right. ('overflow: hidden;' is very useful when doing jquery scroller boxes...)

A 'catalog' page is really not the same as a site, and google liked the old site much better.

/stating the obvious...

garym
2010-08-19, 11:35
You don't have to convince me, I own two Squeezeboxes. However, for the majority of people out there, you'd better believe that offering a free software-based player is going to cost Logitech some money.

For instance, I know a friend can't afford any of the existing Squeezebox models right now. I'm going to set up their computer system simply to distribute audio to their stereo system upstairs and it will be controlled from their iPod Touch using iPeng. How much money has Logitech made from this? $0.

Logitech need to start putting more attention into the Squeezebox line as they're completely off the radar now in terms of consumer and media mindshare. Any time anything about music streaming comes up, every reporter/blogger immediately mentions SONOS. Usually, Squeezebox is not mentioned at all.

I think leaving Squeezeplay on the back-burner is a good idea and they'd better start moving on some controller-only apps for popular handheld devices, as well as coming out with a few more player products. There's a market for commercial software as well, but the problem with this is that Logitech is a hardware company, and like many of their contemporaries, they can't seem to handle a Hardware+Software business very well, seeing software only as a support vehicle for the hardware, instead of its most important asset. Hardware is cheap, the value is all in software - and that's for pretty much all consumer electronics products.

While they're at it, they might consider making a decent web page so people can actually find out about the Squeezebox family - the current Logitech page is losing them a lot of sales. Compare to the Sonos page where you can find out almost everything you want about the product(s). Here's a neat thing to try.. Pretend you didn't know about this forum and now go to what you might find as the official Logitech page about Squeezbox and try to find this forum. Good luck.

I generally agree with your points. But with regard to squeezeplay as a software player, I can do the same thing you indicated with itunes, foobar2000, winamp, or any number of other "free" players running on a computer. Pre-squeezebox days, my system was Laptop w/USB drive >S/PDIF coax out > Benchmark DAC I > audio input to preamp. And my player on the laptop was foobar2000.

I don't think many people really want SB because of SbS. Frankly, the SbS software is at the top of the list of things I'm not fond of. I much preferred my foobar2000 (or even itunes!) in terms of library management.

But I agree, Logitech makes it very hard for a customer to find its products and then even to clearly describe what they do (in terms that the average consumer can figure out). My brother is a savvy guy, but he could never understand the point of SB system until I showed him exactly how it worked in my home. Now he has a touch and a boom. In some ways, the fact that too many consumers think the SB player is simply a substitute for a free software player on a computer is part of the marketing problem. Sonos does a better job and part of the difference is that they do push the idea of a SYSTEM for network music playback. Squeezebox still comes off as too much of a bunch of standalone parts. Heck, half the new posters on this site have yet to figure out the difference between mysb.com and running SbS. But again, marketing and information!!

MrSinatra
2010-08-19, 12:13
i don't agree that the poster whose friend does everything for free is lost money to logitech. thats the wrong way to look at it from a business pov.

why?

b/c logitech needed to develop all that software anyway, for the actual hardware customers it did have. making it available for free actually INCREASES hardware sales, it doesn't decrease sales. it increases exposure, and i'd bet a lot of people who try, eventually go on to buy.

even if u believe more people don't buy then eventually do, whatever the numbers are, you get more sales total! the '20 persons into digital audio' scenario:

1. no free software:

10 people buy without trying.
10 more people can't try and don't buy, end of story.

(and since they couldn't try first, maybe some return hating it, costing logitech money)

2. free software:

10 people buy, (and maybe they tried first, maybe not)
3 people don't try, don't buy

however

7 people try, and of those some use indefinitely, (your friend); and over time, some buy, lets say 3 of the 7 as of a given date.

so:

the free scenario gets you 3 more sales than the non free one, and there is no reason to believe net sales are hurt by the free scenario since customers could return stuff if they didn't like it in either case.

the caveat of course is that the free scenario will turn potential customers off b/c they hate the software/paradigm, which i am sure has happened, but that only saves logitech from a costly return after the fact in a non-free scenario, so its good for logitech ultimately.

the larger point is that with something like this, allowing people to use it, even only in part, should net more sales than not allowing them to do so.

if your friends financial status were to change, i'd be expecting he'd buy something.

if your argument is that your friend wasn't going to buy, or can't buy, then in that case, what has logitech lost? he was never a potential customer to begin with. there is no harm in making software free to him. and at least its THEIR software, and not a competitors alternative.

having said that, i do agree that its odd to me, considering that they have SP, that they haven't developed apps for iphones and smart devices and so on. that truly is a huge missed opportunity and guys like pippin were very smart to move quick into the void. the SBC is amazing imo, but who would pay $299 for it when for $9 you can ipeng?

there is no doubt imo, that logitech did not properly leverage the asset of SP in the smart devices category.

MelonMonkey
2010-08-19, 12:34
Frankly, the only reason I even use Squeezeplay is because Squeezeslave causes my MacBook Pro to take an extra 20 to 30 seconds to go to sleep.

Even though I have multiple Squeezeboxes, I also have a baby in the house, so I have to listen to music tied to headphones when I'm tied to my computer working. Using the computer itself for the audio source aids in mobility.

Squeezeplay is different from other software solutions precisely because of SBS. Unlike other solutions, it makes for a really nice UI using the web interface and/or a program like iPeng. This is still a geeky solution and I agree, it's not the primary reason a typical consumer wouldn't pick up a SB. It takes only a little bit less setup than a real player. ;) And Squeezeplay is also sufficiently buggy that it would probably piss some people off - after some number of tracks, the Web UI and the SP UI itself will no longer show the actual track being played, but one previous in the playlist. At least when using Random Mix.

garym
2010-08-19, 12:37
Squeezeplay is different from other software solutions precisely because of SBS. Unlike other solutions, it makes for a really nice UI using the web interface and/or a program like iPeng.

not convinced on this point. I really don't like the SbS UI very much. Not only did I like foobar2000 and itunes UI better, I can also control both of those very nicely with apps for the IPHONE. So to me this is all a tie at best for use of SB software player. edit: I agree of course that this is all a matter of taste ;-)

MrSinatra
2010-08-19, 12:48
i don't like any of the interfaces, webui, sp, sbc, even ipeng. there is nothing out there simple yet powerful, ie. elegant. (the sbc is amazing, and ipeng is very good too, but both have drawbacks, and some of them are beyond their individual ability to do anything about, b/c of the backend)

the reason i use SBS is primarily b/c it handles the audio as well as it can be handled. i consider the interfaces an unfortunate, but sadly necessary evil.

arztde
2010-08-19, 12:59
i don't like any of the interfaces, webui, sp, sbc, even ipeng. there is nothing out there simple yet powerful, ie. elegant. .

Give a try to SlimControl for WinMobile. Locuth follow not complete the Navigation of the other Controlers and Remotes.

Just give a try if you get a WinMobile inYours hands.

pski
2010-08-19, 16:08
give a try to slimcontrol for winmobile. Locuth follow not complete the navigation of the other controlers and remotes.

Just give a try if you get a winmobile inyours hands.

bwa?

pski
2010-08-19, 16:10
i don't agree that the poster whose friend does everything for free is lost money to logitech. thats the wrong way to look at it from a business pov.

why?

b/c logitech needed to develop all that software anyway, for the actual hardware customers it did have. making it available for free actually INCREASES hardware sales, it doesn't decrease sales. it increases exposure, and i'd bet a lot of people who try, eventually go on to buy.

even if u believe more people don't buy then eventually do, whatever the numbers are, you get more sales total! the '20 persons into digital audio' scenario:

1. no free software:

10 people buy without trying.
10 more people can't try and don't buy, end of story.

(and since they couldn't try first, maybe some return hating it, costing logitech money)

2. free software:

10 people buy, (and maybe they tried first, maybe not)
3 people don't try, don't buy

however

7 people try, and of those some use indefinitely, (your friend); and over time, some buy, lets say 3 of the 7 as of a given date.

so:

the free scenario gets you 3 more sales than the non free one, and there is no reason to believe net sales are hurt by the free scenario since customers could return stuff if they didn't like it in either case.

the caveat of course is that the free scenario will turn potential customers off b/c they hate the software/paradigm, which i am sure has happened, but that only saves logitech from a costly return after the fact in a non-free scenario, so its good for logitech ultimately.

the larger point is that with something like this, allowing people to use it, even only in part, should net more sales than not allowing them to do so.

if your friends financial status were to change, i'd be expecting he'd buy something.

if your argument is that your friend wasn't going to buy, or can't buy, then in that case, what has logitech lost? he was never a potential customer to begin with. there is no harm in making software free to him. and at least its THEIR software, and not a competitors alternative.

having said that, i do agree that its odd to me, considering that they have SP, that they haven't developed apps for iphones and smart devices and so on. that truly is a huge missed opportunity and guys like pippin were very smart to move quick into the void. the SBC is amazing imo, but who would pay $299 for it when for $9 you can ipeng?

there is no doubt imo, that logitech did not properly leverage the asset of SP in the smart devices category.

There are reasons to buy. Better pandora access... let's continue

Milesse
2010-08-22, 05:07
I generally agree with your points. But with regard to squeezeplay as a software player, I can do the same thing you indicated with itunes, foobar2000, winamp, or any number of other "free" players running on a computer. Pre-squeezebox days, my system was Laptop w/USB drive >S/PDIF coax out > Benchmark DAC I > audio input to preamp. And my player on the laptop was foobar2000.

I don't think many people really want SB because of SbS. Frankly, the SbS software is at the top of the list of things I'm not fond of. I much preferred my foobar2000 (or even itunes!) in terms of library management.

But I agree, Logitech makes it very hard for a customer to find its products and then even to clearly describe what they do (in terms that the average consumer can figure out). My brother is a savvy guy, but he could never understand the point of SB system until I showed him exactly how it worked in my home. Now he has a touch and a boom. In some ways, the fact that too many consumers think the SB player is simply a substitute for a free software player on a computer is part of the marketing problem. Sonos does a better job and part of the difference is that they do push the idea of a SYSTEM for network music playback. Squeezebox still comes off as too much of a bunch of standalone parts. Heck, half the new posters on this site have yet to figure out the difference between mysb.com and running SbS. But again, marketing and information!!

... and Squeezeplay is not the only player you can use on PCs - logging on to http://192.168.0.___:9000 can also let you control your Sqboxes ... but I guess most guys would use Squeezeplay.

WHY hasn't Logitech even put up Manuals to download?? I guess that would help a lot of customers ...
Try to find it if you can for eg. the Duet:
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/3817
... you'll end up here finding nothing!?
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

garym
2010-08-22, 05:22
... and Squeezeplay is not the only player you can use on PCs - logging on to http://192.168.0.___:9000 can also let you control your Sqboxes ... but I guess most guys would use Squeezeplay.

yes, this is how one controls SbS, but this doesn't allow one to PLAY MUSIC via SbS on their own PC. Squeezeplay can be a controller, but ALSO a player.

WHY hasn't Logitech even put up Manuals to download?? I guess that would help a lot of customers ...
Try to find it if you can for eg. the Duet:
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/3817
... you'll end up here finding nothing!?
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

I assume that with computer and technical equipment, the manuals would be out of date pretty quickly. I haven't looked at a manual in a decade. I don't think I get manuals anymore with new computers either. Remember the old days with hard sided, large books for an IBM desktop! Anyhow, there is a decent wiki, although starting to be out of date in some areas (of course the manuals would have been even more out of date).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page

Milesse
2010-08-22, 06:00
yes, this is how one controls SbS, but this doesn't allow one to PLAY MUSIC via SbS on their own PC. Squeezeplay can be a controller, but ALSO a player.
That's true!

I assume that with computer and technical equipment, the manuals would be out of date pretty quickly. I haven't looked at a manual in a decade. I don't think I get manuals anymore with new computers either. Remember the old days with hard sided, large books for an IBM desktop! Anyhow, there is a decent wiki, although starting to be out of date in some areas (of course the manuals would have been even more out of date).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page
I needed one yesterday to figure out the different colours on the Receiver front ...

Still ... not having a simple link to latest Manuals on the official SB site!?!? :-O
What are they thinking? Do they not understand the importance of after sales??? ... if not that, I guess it also would save them a LOT of support hours!

garym
2010-08-22, 06:03
Still ... not having a simple link to latest Manuals on the official SB site!?!? :-O
What are they thinking? Do they not understand the importance of after sales??? ... if not that, I guess it also would save them a LOT of support hours!

Agree, logitech could do a lot better job with its website!!!

aubuti
2010-08-23, 22:00
I needed one yesterday to figure out the different colours on the Receiver front ...
True, manuals are good, but wiki can be better: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED

ja2038
2010-09-19, 17:16
Squeezebox radios are pretty darn expensive, and I can imagine how nice they are, but at the expense the burden is on the seller to move them.

With player, I can try it out and imagine how nice it would be to have the whole thing in a nice encapsulated consumer experience.

Free player doesn't cannibalize a $150 radio or $200 or $250 device, it sells it like a free demo, or like your first joint free.

VMware *gives* away their VMware player and their VMware server and they do that to get you to buy their more sophisticated products. Lots of others have figured that out too.

menno
2010-09-20, 02:14

Note for any Nokia N900 users, users have compiled a Squeezeplay version for the N900. See the Maemo forums for details. It doesnt play audio as there have been problems compiling that, but it's prefect for controlling my SBs.

Cheers,
Menno