PDA

View Full Version : Boom was Booming This Morning

dmwiley
2010-06-25, 04:20
Set alarm volume on mysqueezebox to 10. Listened to Boom yesterday evening and turned it off before bed time with volume at 25. Came on this morning exactly at the pre-set time but with volume at 89. Scared the BGeezus out of me. Groovin' like a mofo. How did this happen?

Siduhe
2010-06-25, 05:18
Volume=10 on mysqueezebox.com is one of the highest volume settings. The scale for the alarm volume on mysqueezebox is 1-11 (yes, 11, yes it's a kind of joke) so 10 would pretty much equate to vol=89 on the player. Try volume 3 or 4 maybe?

dmwiley
2010-06-25, 06:08
You're telling me that 11 on mysqueezebox is essentially the same as volume setting 100 on the unit itself. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Where did you obtain that information?

Siduhe
2010-06-25, 06:14
The volume increments available on mysqueezebox.com (and on volume control via the web interface) are limited to 10/11 but they still cover the entire range of volume that the Boom is capable of (0-100). Which makes a kind of sense - or at least more sense than only having the alarm via mysqueezebox.com go to 11 on the 1-100 scale, once the design decision is taken not to support 1-100 volume scaling via mysb.

This is based on my observation and use rather than third party info, but there are a few threads about volume increments on the forums including this one from one of the devs which explains it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=193940&highlight=volume+scale+alarm#post193940

You're very welcome, btw.

Soulkeeper
2010-06-25, 06:54
I just voted on a couple of bugs regarding this:
Bug 14890 - Alarm volumes need to be scaled 0 to 100 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14890)
Bug 14459 - Make volume adjustment finer (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14459)

I think you should do the same if you want this to be changed.

aubuti
2010-06-25, 08:25
Where did you obtain that information?
The fact that the drop-down menu for Alarm Volume on mysb.com only goes 1-11 would be a pretty good clue.

dmwiley
2010-06-25, 09:11
Clue as to what? You're suggesting that one should assume that because the drop down menu displays volume levels 1-11, the user should infer it corresponds to 1-100 on the Boom. That's absurd. One could just as easily conclude that because it's an alarm setting, the volume levels or purposely lowered. Thanks for your brilliant response.

pippout
2010-06-25, 11:18
pretty obvious really as already said
if 1 shows 1-10 (ignoring the 11) and the other 1 - 100, it is obvious that 1 is equivalent to 10 et al
phil
nice to see someone still using "dude" - quaint but nice

Soulkeeper
2010-06-25, 11:40
"Ignoring the 11", yes.

The 1-11 thing is a tad bizarre, when you look at it from a useability perspective. Particulary when you consider that it is not implemented consistently in the various interfaces.

Siduhe
2010-06-25, 11:42
"Ignoring the 11", yes.

The 1-11 thing is a tad bizarre, when you look at it from a useability perspective. Especially so, considering it is not implemented consistently in the various interfaces.

And yet it still makes me smile. Nice that even in these homogonised times, there's still room for a musical pun/homage to Spinal Tap...

As to the rest, flies/honey/vinegar is becoming my forum mantra of late.

aubuti
2010-06-25, 11:48
And yet it still makes me smile. Nice that even in these homogonised times, there's still room for a musical pun/homage to Spinal Tap...
...and for those few who don't know the reference, here's a glimpse, but better to see the whole film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0wm3JwXbLs

dmwiley
2010-06-25, 12:20
There is absolutely nothing obvious about it. Were that true, it wouldn't require extrapolation. Perhaps Pipp needs to check the dictionary for the definition of the word "obvious".

pippout
2010-06-25, 12:42
i'll check obvious as long as you check extrapolate
even my cat can see the connection between 1-11 and 1-100 - 1=10, 2=20 etc
phil
and btw you don't know me well enough to call me pipp - mr.pippout please

pippout
2010-06-25, 12:45

wasn't it one of the gallaghers who said his favourite band was spinal tap?
phil

dmwiley
2010-06-25, 12:46
After reading your posts, I can think of a lot of other more fitting things to call you. Calling you Pipp was being charitable. You might want to quit while you are just slightly behind, especially after that cat remark. I suspect any semblance of credibility has now been irretrievably lost.

snarlydwarf
2010-06-25, 14:38
As to the rest, flies/honey/vinegar is becoming my forum mantra of late.

Yes, but totally wrong.

My flies/poop/honey analogy is more accurate. (See some other thread here, I'm too lazy to dig it up.)

snarlydwarf
2010-06-25, 14:39
I suspect any semblance of credibility has now been irretrievably lost.

Yes, yes, I agree with you 100% on that. Though the specifics may be different.

pippout
2010-06-25, 16:06
i am reminded of the old (possibly apocryphal) story of the person who rang a computer support line and was eventually told they were too dumb to have a pc
dmwiley you are similarly challenged in the boom department
just divide by 10 and round

pippout
2010-06-25, 16:11
wasn't it one of the gallaghers who said his favourite band was spinal tap?
phil

and he was being serious - he actually though they were a real band
(it was liam gallagher btw)

peterw
2010-06-25, 16:52
I think that's enough of the name calling and general rudeness. Let's stop this thread now.

dmwiley
2010-06-26, 08:03
I don't think I ever called names. Could have, certain poster was and still is deserving of such, but I refrained. I think his posts tell us more than we will ever need to know about him and the appropriate name. I started this post with a simple inquiry and a certain individual stated his cat could provide the answer. Obvioulsy, his cat has a great deal more sense than he possesses.

JJZolx
2010-06-26, 08:29
One could just as easily conclude that because it's an alarm setting, the volume levels or purposely lowered.

I can only imagine the degree of your outrage had you found that you could only set an alarm's volume to 1/10th of its maximum volume. The likely reason that few people complain about this is that nobody sets an alarm volume that low, so when they go looking for numbers higher than 11 they figure out what's going on (all by themselves). I can't even hear the Boom at 10% volume, let alone think it might wake me.

peterw
2010-06-26, 08:52
I don't think I ever called names. Could have, certain poster was and still is deserving of such, but I refrained. ...

You're still posting in this thread, still rude, and still haven't bothered to vote for Jim's enhancement request (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14890). It's clear to me that you're only interested in venting, so congratulations, you're now the second person in my Ignore List.

pippout
2010-06-26, 11:22
You're still posting in this thread, still rude, and still haven't bothered to vote for Jim's enhancement request (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14890). It's clear to me that you're only interested in venting, so congratulations, you're now the second person in my Ignore List.

and i'm being vewy, vewy quiet

they call me Mister pippout

i tought i taw a puddycat

(and i voted for the bug)

dmwiley
2010-06-26, 12:11
Thanks PeterW. The feeling is mutual. You're also the second in mine.