PDA

View Full Version : iPeng 'Your player was not found'

foosayer
2010-06-24, 16:40
I had a working iPeng 1.2.1 and SqueezeServer 7.5.1. Then I upgraded my SqueezeServer computer, reinstalled 7.5.1. Now iPeng reports 'Player not found', although it sees my server and loads correct playlists from iTunes. My Receiver has the same IP as before. Any clues appreciated.

pippin
2010-06-24, 16:49
Can you browse your library with iPeng?

Is your player connected to the server? can you control it from the server's web interface?

foosayer
2010-06-24, 22:35
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the Squeezebox server had a web i/f. I used it to verify the server could not see the player, then tracked down a configuration error in the player network setup. Now all is back to normal. Much appreciated.

chevvies
2010-06-30, 07:35
I'm having the same problem, I just downloaded iPeng onto my touch, because I left the remote at my partner's house, and thought it was supposed to automatically find the player, but it isn't, any advice welcome.

pippin
2010-06-30, 07:39
I'm having the same problem, I just downloaded iPeng onto my touch, because I left the remote at my partner's house, and thought it was supposed to automatically find the player, but it isn't, any advice welcome.

Does your partner run an SBS or MySB? Are you on WiFi? What do you see on the Players/Server screen?

chevvies
2010-06-30, 09:24
No she doesn't. The server screen has no song listings. I use my iTunes library from my MacBook via a SpeedTouch wireless router as I would normally, using the SB3 remote. Since I left the remote behind I remember reading about folks using their iPod touches as a remote for Squeezeboxes, which is why I purchased iPeng, but I must be missing something.

Should the iPeng touch turn on the SB, or do I still need the remote for that? Thanks.

pippin
2010-06-30, 13:41
No she doesn't.

That was an either/or. You need to use either Squeezebox Server or MySqueezebox.com to operate a Squeezebox. If you don't know, it's probably MySqueezebox.com.

The server screen has no song listings. I use my iTunes library from my MacBook via a SpeedTouch wireless router as I would normally, using the SB3 remote. Since I left the remote behind I remember reading about folks using their iPod touches as a remote for Squeezeboxes, which is why I purchased iPeng, but I must be missing something.

Should the iPeng touch turn on the SB, or do I still need the remote for that? Thanks.

OK. Back to Square 1:

A Squeezebox needs a server to operate. This can be either Squeezebox Server (which you are probably running on your MacBook) or MySqueezbox.com. Does your partner use the Squeezebox if you are not there? Then she probably uses MySqueezebox.com

iPeng can turn on a Squeezebox, but it doesn't connect to the Squeezebox itself, it only connects to the server that also controls the Squeezebox.
To "see" the SB in iPeng you need to connect iPeng to the same server as the SB. That's what you do on the Player/Server screen (swipe right on NowPlaying, see "Help->Quick Tutorials->NowPlaying" and "Help->Quick Tutorials->Players and Music Source" in iPeng)

If the SB is e.g. on MySqueezebox.com and you want to connect it to your MacBook you need to connect iPeng to MySqueezebox.com first until you see the player and then move it to you computer.
To make this work, your iPod touch has to be connected to the same WiFi network as your MacBook (or they can't communicate), to use MySqueezebox.com it will also need an internet connection.

iPeng should see your MacBook if they are on the same network.

If you want more details, see "MultiPlayer Control" here:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/nowplaying/

If the Squeezebox is NOT on the network at all then you can not connect it using iPeng, iPeng can not set up an ad-hoc network.
Which Squeezebox model is this? A Receiver?

ksd
2010-07-10, 15:13
I am having a similar issue. When I try to connect to my SqueezeServer instance w/ iPeng, it is unable to find my player. I can connect to my server via my duet controller, and can control the player via the server's web interface. If I change the music source of the player to mysqueezebox.com using my duet controller, iPeng is then able to find the player. The issue started sometime after I upgraded my server to 7.5.1 and my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4, not sure exactly when. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

pippin
2010-07-10, 15:36
So you CAN control your player with iPeng when it's on MySqueezebox.com
The if you switch the player to your Squeezebox Server and you also switch iPeng to your local server you can NOT see the player?
That's weird? I've never seen that one.

One issue that DOES happen, especially with 3G iPod touches is that it can take a while to detect a server or that WiFi doesn't get connected (for the App). Not sure about the cause but restarting iPeng usually does fix it, waiting for 15s or so often does so, too.

What exactly do you see on the MultiPlayer screen (where you switch servers) when it does NOT work?

ksd
2010-07-10, 16:04
Thanks for the quick reply pippin. Attached is a screenshot of the MutliPlayer screen. Lycidas is the name of the server that is running SqueezeServer. Let me know if you need any more info.

pippin
2010-07-10, 16:08
So what happens if you select that server? What exactly is the issue?

You are aware that iPeng always has to be connected to the same server as your player to be able to control it?

ksd
2010-07-10, 16:13
Apparently there is no issue. I am now able to select the server and it finds my player. Previously, it was only showing the server IP address instead of the name, and when I tried to select the server , it would not find the player. Not sure what I did to correct the issue. In any case, all is well. Thanks again for your help.

pippin
2010-07-10, 16:22
Apparently there is no issue. I am now able to select the server and it finds my player. Previously, it was only showing the server IP address instead of the name, and when I tried to select the server , it would not find the player. Not sure what I did to correct the issue. In any case, all is well. Thanks again for your help.

If it's just showing the IP address that usually means it can't communicate to the server.
There's an issue especially with 3G iTouch devices with WiFi startup. Don't know whether this is iOS4 related or not. Usually waiting or restarting iPeng should fix it.

I try to improve the behavior in the upcoming iOS4 release of iPeng. That one will also automatically switch servers if it finds that your player has moved to a different server.

chevvies
2010-07-11, 00:52
Still no joy here, not even with MySqueezebox.com.

pippin
2010-07-11, 01:32
Still no joy here, not even with MySqueezebox.com.
Have you read my comment on your last post?
Please answer my questions or I can not help you.

chevvies
2010-07-11, 02:36
For some reason, within minutes of my last post, it all suddenly started working, after nearly two weeks of nothing, weird, and I haven't changed anything, same player, same MacBook, same server, and same router.

pippin
2010-07-11, 04:15
Maybe the same issue as my comment 4 posts ago?

dicksons
2011-08-10, 12:57
Hi,

I am looking for some help because I am getting the error "Your player was not found". Here is the scenario:

1. Squeezebox server 7.6.1 running from a QNAP NAS
2. Squeezebox Boom connected and playing tracks OK.
3. I can operate the SqueezeBox Boom from Boom itself - no problem.
4. I can operate the SqueezeBox Boom from server web interface - no problem.
5. Open iPeng 1.3.5 on iPhone4 iOS 4.3.5 and shows connection to squeezebox
6. After a few seconds, the problem starts

Without touching any controls on iPeng

a) Squeezebox Boom freezes
b) I am unable to switch tracks or make any changes
c) The Squeezebox Boom continues to play existing track
b) iPeng says "Your player was not found"

To fix the problem I need to exit from iPeng and after about 30 seconds, the Squeezebox Boom unfreezes. This is the 1st time I have used iPeng. My wife has been using it succesfully until recently, but now she is having the same problems.

Q: Does anyone know how to fix this iPeng problem?

Thanks for any advice.

pippin
2011-08-10, 14:02
Could you send me an e.mail from within iPeng using the mail link in "Help"? It will send some diagnostics data.
I suspect your serevr locks up while iPeng downloads data but this really should not be in 7.6

I understand that you CAN browse your library in iPeng and the complete menu is there, so you can e.g. go to an album?

dicksons
2011-08-11, 13:50
Many thanks for looking into this. Yes - the complete menu is there in iPeng and I can go to any album. Email now sent.