PDA

View Full Version : SB2 fails to connect to server

tloden
2010-06-22, 15:40
I have tried virtually every permutation of installing, re-installing, rebooting, upgrading the SB server, downgrading the SB server (I'm now on 7.5.1), rebooting my SB2, rebooting my wifi router, rebooting my wifi repeater, unplugging my wifi repeater and STILL my SB2 cannot connect.

I'm running W2K.

Why can't I just specific the IP address of the SB2 to the server?

It CAN'T be this hard.

[FYI - The last time I upgraded to 7.5.1, it just magically worked ... after 8 hours.]

I've tried snooping the wifi packets with Wireshark, but there's nothing obviously wrong. There's a heap-o-mysqueezebox.com traffic (which I don't care about.

I do see an ARP request from my SB2 for the "Who has ..." for the IP of my server.

Could this be an ARP / W2K issue????

What gets me is that it SOMETIMES works.

Soulkeeper
2010-06-22, 15:46
Is the server wired to the router? Have you tried the SB2 wired to the router? Do you have antivirus on the W2k machine?

tloden
2010-06-22, 16:27
Is the server wired to the router? Have you tried the SB2 wired to the router? Do you have antivirus on the W2k machine?

1. no
2. yes (it's the current config)
3. yes, "but" it has connected with it on before (Vipre)

I'll try no F/W and no antivirus (but I do not have my hopes up)

[BTW: I can ping the SB2 from my PC just fine. Right now, I'm more concerned with the unanswered ARP request.]

snarlydwarf
2010-06-22, 19:26
I have tried virtually every permutation of installing, re-installing, rebooting, upgrading the SB server, downgrading the SB server (I'm now on 7.5.1), rebooting my SB2, rebooting my wifi router, rebooting my wifi repeater, unplugging my wifi repeater and STILL my SB2 cannot connect.

I'm running W2K.

Why can't I just specific the IP address of the SB2 to the server?

Because the server does not initiate connections to clients: the clients initiate a connection to the server.

You can, if you want, specify the settings of the SB2 (ie, IP, netmask, gateway, and the IP of the srever) by holding the left arrow until you get to the network setup screen.

I do see an ARP request from my SB2 for the "Who has ..." for the IP of my server.

if the server never answers that, then that is your problem: have some sort of firewall installed like ZoneAlarm? is your server on a vpn?

If your server hides from the SB2, then, well, the sb2 even with the correct ip will not be able to connect to your server.