PDA

View Full Version : Help! Party tomorrow and I need to be able to shuffle or randomize playlists

Rick B.
2010-06-18, 10:08
I'm using version 7.3.3 with SB Classic. After spending a lot of time creating my own playlists, I find that I can't make them shuffle.

If I select a playlist and then press shuffle songs, the 1st song is randomly shuffled, but then all of the rest of the songs just follow in order from the song being played.

I tried Random, but you can't select a playlist. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

aubuti
2010-06-18, 11:16
Shuffle is an on/off toggle. What happens if you turn shuffle on _before_ you choose the playlist?

Rick B.
2010-06-18, 11:49
Shuffle is an on/off toggle. What happens if you turn shuffle on _before_ you choose the playlist?

Still only shuffles the first nong.

The way I'm checking is to toggle shuffle song on, then select and play the playlist. Then, once the 1st song is playing, I'm either FF'ing to the next track or pressing the down arrow to see the next tracks. Either way, I see that they are not shuffled.

Thanks,

dolce24
2010-06-18, 15:29

The way I'm checking is to toggle shuffle song on, then select and play the playlist. Then, once the 1st song is playing, I'm either FF'ing to the next track or pressing the down arrow to see the next tracks. Either way, I see that they are not shuffled.

Thanks,

Have you tried to press shuffle twice, and chosen shuffle by album?
When you shuffle, the playlist updates to the way it is shuffled, so in the webbrowser you could see the next number, but they are shuffled from the original way you made the playlist. I hope this makes sense.

pski
2010-06-18, 19:02
Have you tried to press shuffle twice, and chosen shuffle by album?
When you shuffle, the playlist updates to the way it is shuffled, so in the webbrowser you could see the next number, but they are shuffled from the original way you made the playlist. I hope this makes sense.

If not: what a crisis@!

Your friends can't choose music (I would ask.)

aubuti
2010-06-18, 20:04

Hmm, don't know what to tell you. Either way I do it (turn on shuffle and then load playlist OR load playlist and then turn on shuffle), it shuffles my playlist. This is with 7.5.0, but I don't believe it was broken with 7.3.3.

Have you tried actually letting the first track play through? I noticed that the playlist was immediately shuffled when viewing via the web ui, but on my SB2 the playlist appeared not to be shuffled until after the first track played through.

Mnyb
2010-06-18, 21:26
How large are these playlist ? sbs is very inefficient re shuffling large playlists, if you wait a while does not the files reorder them self in the web-UI ?

Is this local files on your own server ?

Does shuffle work on tunes from all these music services like raphsody or pandora ?

What is different re 7.3.3

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.5/tags/7.5.1/server/Changelog7.html

I see no shuffle bugs mentioned, but then these list are not complete.

pippin
2010-06-18, 23:25
If you can't get it to work try using the DynamicPlaylist plugin (only if your playlist >>100 tracks, should really work otherwise). DP can play tracks from a large playlist randomly but will only put a few of them into the current playlist at a time (and remove old ones as it adds new ones) thus keeping performance up.

Rick B.
2010-06-19, 11:55
Thanks everyone for trying to help me. Turns out I had the plugin Spicefly Sugarcube enabled and it disables shuffle. I'm good now.

On to my next crisis...