PDA

View Full Version : Issue with new router and SB3

russelc
2010-06-16, 02:06
Hi - hope this is the correct forum for this post.

I have recently changed my router from an Orange Livebox to a D-Link DSL-2740R and have successfully got everything (Wii, SB3, iPod Touch) back up and running wirelessly having changed security from WEP to WPA2. Orange remains my ISP for the next couple of months.

However, I have since noticed one annoying feature of my new environment. In the past the SB3 would only show the message "Can't connect to server:" ONCE ONLY when the server was shut down, went into standbye or hibernation, or if wireless dropped. Now I have a situation where when the server is off or in standbye or hibernation the message is displayed every 5 minutes (I've timed it). It looks like something is polling it at this interval.

I would rather it didn't do this as it is distracting when watching TV (my SB3 is on same stand as TV). Any insights would be appreciated.

My setup is as follows;

Server = Win XP SP2 with Squeezebox Server version 7.5.0 r30464 (not 24/7)
D-Link DSL 2740R running firmware version UK_1.13. WPA2 enabled, with firewall switched on (24/7)
SB3 firmware 130

russelc
2010-06-23, 03:58
Is nobody out there using this router? Do you get the same issue?

avta
2010-06-23, 07:05
I don't use the same equipment you do but it sounds as though the SB is trying to connect to your computer/server when it is off. If that is correct you might try changing the SB to internet useage. You can do that by connecting to mysqueezebox.com or by selecting internet selections provided by the SB. I haven't used my SB3 for some time so I don't remember the exact steps.

toby10
2010-06-23, 07:11
I'd try setting the SB3 display to display nothing when turned OFF.
SB3 > Settings > Display > Screensavers > When Off > none

russelc
2010-06-23, 07:48
I don't use the same equipment you do but it sounds as though the SB is trying to connect to your computer/server when it is off. If that is correct you might try changing the SB to internet useage. You can do that by connecting to mysqueezebox.com or by selecting internet selections provided by the SB. I haven't used my SB3 for some time so I don't remember the exact steps.

avta - thanks for that excellent suggestion, I will try it later tonight. Would still like to get back to the way things were before changing my router though.

russelc
2010-06-23, 07:50
I'd try setting the SB3 display to display nothing when turned OFF.
SB3 > Settings > Display > Screensavers > When Off > none

Thanks toby10 - I already have this setting configured.

avta
2010-06-23, 18:34
Try it out per my suggestion and see what you think

russelc
2010-06-24, 01:31
Try it out per my suggestion and see what you think

avta - thanks again for the suggestion - it does work so we don't get distracted watching TV now.

I still wish I could figure out what is happening with this new router though!

avta
2010-06-24, 07:06
What are you referring to ?

russelc
2010-06-24, 07:19
In my OP i stated;

'However, I have since noticed one annoying feature of my new environment. In the past the SB3 would only show the message "Can't connect to server:" ONCE ONLY when the server was shut down, went into standbye or hibernation, or if wireless dropped. Now I have a situation where when the server is off or in standbye or hibernation the message is displayed every 5 minutes (I've timed it). It looks like something is polling it at this interval.'

By the above I meant that 'in the past' when the player was connected to the m/c running the SB server and BEFORE I changed my router I only got the message as the m/c changed state. After changing the router I get it every 5 mins.

Your solution stops this happening (for which I am very grateful) BUT not by fixing the issue I related in the OP. I would like to understand this just because it annoys me that something is happening for which I do not have an explanation.

avta
2010-06-25, 07:24
I would understand it this way. If you SB is set to " look for " the server software whhich resides on your computer but the computer is off or the Squeezeserver is not running it keeps looking for it. If you set the SB to connect to the internet then it's not looking for Squeezeserver and you shouldn't see that message.

russelc
2010-06-25, 07:34
So really you're saying that the way it used to work, when I only got the message once, was wrong and that now it's working correctly, when I get the message every 5 mins! I don't understand why it would have to do this if the player is in standby.

Remember that I am talking about the player being in a stanby state. Sorry but IMHO I disagree - the way it worked before was better and far less intrusive.

Anyway - the change is related to the new router h/w and not to a new version of SB code anywhere.

Soulkeeper
2010-06-25, 08:39
Does the SB3 support WOL? Maybe it's the router issuing some kind of keep-alive signal?

russelc
2010-06-25, 08:47
Does the SB3 support WOL? Maybe it's the router issuing some kind of keep-alive signal?

Yes the SBŁ does support WOL and I use it on my system through both the remote and iPeng successfully. It is unlikely to be the router doing as you suggest as I can stop the message appearing by connecting mysqueezebox.com as avta suggested.

Thanks for the thought though.

avta
2010-06-26, 17:45
Would you clarify what you mean by " when the player is in standby. "

russelc
2010-06-27, 02:20
Would you clarify what you mean by " when the player is in standby. "

I mean that when I have finished listening to music I press the power button on the remote or the player icon in iPeng to put the player into standby mode, i.e. I've finished using it for now. In my configuration this is a blank screen

russelc
2010-06-27, 07:57
I think that I've now solved this issue. It appears that the firmware installed on my router was corrupt in some way. I have reinstalled the firmware and the problem has disappeared.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help - it is appreciated!

avta
2010-06-27, 08:02
ok. When I turned off the server and SB ( when I had the SB in use ) the screen showed the time. I wonder if you have some other setting in place or maybe that's what you prefer. I think you can access those settings in the Settings section of Squeezeserver. You might try changing the SB screen setting for when the unit is off.

russelc
2010-06-27, 14:43
ok. When I turned off the server and SB ( when I had the SB in use ) the screen showed the time. I wonder if you have some other setting in place or maybe that's what you prefer. I think you can access those settings in the Settings section of Squeezeserver. You might try changing the SB screen setting for when the unit is off.

Thanks avta but as I said in my last post I've solved my problem

avta
2010-06-28, 06:50
Glad to hear that.