PDA

View Full Version : Droid v Controller

dwstraile
2010-06-14, 20:51
Why buy a controller? Buy the droid and download squeeze commander. I did tonight and I cant believe I am running squeezebox from my phone!

DW

BillLogi
2010-06-15, 04:18
Why buy a controller? Buy the droid and download squeeze commander. I did tonight and I cant believe I am running squeezebox from my phone!

DW

DW,

I too bought the SqueezeCommander for my Droid. It's a fantastic program.

kc5f
2010-06-15, 05:07
There are quite a few menu options and features on the Duet SBC that aren't yet in Squeeze Commander, but that may change. In my case, I now probably turn on the controller once a week, and use Squeeze Commander the rest of the time.

flattermann
2010-06-15, 08:33
There are quite a few menu options and features on the Duet SBC that aren't yet in Squeeze Commander, but that may change. In my case, I now probably turn on the controller once a week, and use Squeeze Commander the rest of the time.

Yeah, some things like Sleep/Alarms and all the SqueezePlay menus (e.g. the stuff below "Extras" to access the Plugins) are still missing.

Sleep options will be included in the next version.
Alarms should also work soon.

I'm working on the SqueezePlay stuff but that will take some more time...

ModelCitizen
2010-06-16, 04:01
I'd love to see this. I have an iPhone but would like to switch to a droid when I like one as much as I do the iPhone.
Personally I think iPeng on the iPhone has made the Logitech controllers (with the exception of the web interface for settings) pretty redundant. I am especially impressed with the way iPeng handles syncing. How is syncing on Commander? Is it simple, quick and intuitive too?

Also, does Squeeze Commander support MusicIP and BBC Listen Again?

MC

kc5f
2010-06-16, 04:57
I haven't used the others you mentioned, but it does handle sync even better than the controller. Easy and quick. When I try doing it with the SBC I almost always sync to the wrong box!

flattermann
2010-06-16, 05:10
Personally I think iPeng on the iPhone has made the Logitech controllers (with the exception of the web interface for settings) pretty redundant.

I agree, iPeng is really great and I think many people use their SqueezeBoxes more since they're using iPeng. It just makes fun to use it!

Apps for other platforms are not as mature and feature-complete, yet.
But, hey, SqueezeCommander is relatively young and still evolving... :-)

I am especially impressed with the way iPeng handles syncing. How is syncing on Commander? Is it simple, quick and intuitive too?

Syncing on SqueezeCommander is much like the "old" iPeng sync interface, i.e. it does not use the drag-and-drop feature of the new iPeng, yet.

See http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/wiki/MultiPlayerMultiServerScreen

Unfortunately, Drag-and-Drop is a bit complicated on Android, because there is virtually no framework support for that. :-/

Also, does Squeeze Commander support MusicIP and BBC Listen Again?

As MusicIP and BBC are SBS plugins, they do not work with SqueezeCommander, yet.
That's the next big feature that I'm trying to implement. (SqueezePlay menus)
It's also the most important missing feature that needs to be implemented before SqueezeCommander can reach version 1.0.

GlenL
2010-06-16, 05:52
As MusicIP and BBC are SBS plugins, they do not work with SqueezeCommander, yet

I can't speak for the MusicIP plugin, but the BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer Extras plugins work fine on my Nexus One running SqueezeCommander.

They appear as menu items under Internet Radio

flattermann
2010-06-16, 07:16
I can't speak for the MusicIP plugin, but the BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer Extras plugins work fine on my Nexus One running SqueezeCommander.

They appear as menu items under Internet Radio

Really?

That's very interesting, thanks for the info!

jaynlisa
2010-06-16, 09:32
I've been using Squeezecommander on my Droid Eris with my Duet (and my laptop based SBR in the other room, since I can't get another receiver from Logitech for MONTHS now... Grrrrr...) since January, and I love it. The only thing missing for me is saving play lists. Add that and for me, it's perfect.

pippin
2010-06-16, 09:40
Really?

That's very interesting, thanks for the info!

Yes, indeed. Radio Plugins that use the XMLBrowser interface show up as Internet Radio features.

flattermann
2010-06-17, 03:19
I've been using Squeezecommander on my Droid Eris with my Duet (and my laptop based SBR in the other room, since I can't get another receiver from Logitech for MONTHS now... Grrrrr...) since January, and I love it. The only thing missing for me is saving play lists. Add that and for me, it's perfect.

I'll do my best to implement this. :-)

flattermann
2010-06-17, 03:21
Yes, indeed. Radio Plugins that use the XMLBrowser interface show up as Internet Radio features.

Ah, ok, thanks!

It seems that I've never used a XMLBrowser Radio Plugin... :-)

pippin
2010-06-17, 03:33
There are a few:
BBC iPlayer, Radio Ireland, NPR Radio, Spotify come to mind.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-06-17, 13:05
Would love to have this. Alas... google has decided that Android users in Sweden should not be allowed to buy apps, only use free ones... Who ever heard of such stupidity...!

ModelCitizen
2010-06-17, 13:10
google has decided that Android users in Sweden should not be allowed to buy apps, only use free ones
Unbelievable. Is it just Sweden, or does the same policy apply to other European countries?

MC

flattermann
2010-06-17, 13:19
Would love to have this. Alas... google has decided that Android users in Sweden should not be allowed to buy apps, only use free ones... Who ever heard of such stupidity...!

Yeah, I know that's really annoying. ;-(
I hope that Google will solve this in the future...

But I've also added SqueezeCommander to SlideME.org:
https://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

SlideME should work in almost any country, as long as you have access to a Credit Card or to Amazon Payments. :-)

flattermann
2010-06-17, 13:22
Unbelievable. Is it just Sweden, or does the same policy apply to other European countries?

MC

Google does support paid apps only in these countries:

* Australia
* Austria
* Canada
* France
* Germany
* Italy
* Japan
* Netherlands
* New Zealand
* Spain
* Switzerland
* United Kingdom
* United States

http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779

So we have a coverage of 13 out of 250 (?) countries in the world. ;-(

Muele
2010-06-18, 00:48
Yeah, I know that's really annoying. ;-(
I hope that Google will solve this in the future...

But I've also added SqueezeCommander to SlideME.org:
https://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander

SlideME should work in almost any country, as long as you have access to a Credit Card or to Amazon Payments. :-)

That's great news. I ordered an android phone yesterday. And living in DK payable apps from android market is out of the question. Wonder why though...

Does Squeezecommander support 240 x 320 pixels (QVGA)?

flattermann
2010-06-18, 00:56
That's great news. I ordered an android phone yesterday. And living in DK payable apps from android market is out of the question. Wonder why though...

Does Squeezecommander support 240 x 320 pixels (QVGA)?

Yeah, it works fine with QVGA.

raaurora
2010-06-20, 09:50
I agree, iPeng is really great and I think many people use their SqueezeBoxes more since they're using iPeng. It just makes fun to use it!

Is the iPeng app worth the price? I don't know about Germany but the cost for me is $10 which is kind of steep based on the cost of most apps. I currently have wi-fi turned off on my iPhone anyway to preserve battery life. I've looked at the app but I can't tell what is better about controlling my duet with my phone vs. a web browser or the controller.

bluegaspode
2010-06-20, 10:37
I don't know about Germany but the cost for me is $10 which is kind of steep based on the cost of most apps.
You shouldn't put it in relation to the other apps. You should put it into relation at what your Squeezebox setup costs :D

I guess if you are happy with your controller, you won't necessarilly need it.
But there are people who don't have a controller at all (for which the apps are the only way to see coverart from their couch) or are unhappy with the controller (long wakeup time, short battery life).

Then 10$ to expand your setup is not really much I guess.

ModelCitizen
2010-06-20, 12:14
It's much nicer to use than the Controller, both the hardware and software are of a superior quality (for one instance syncing and group control are much better designed).
It's more limited than the web interface, but really it's just a different thing. I use the web interface for settings only, otherwise I find it a little slow and clunky never nearby (or instant, often in hibernate mode).

The iPhone is always in my pocket and always works instantly.

I have wireless on all the time, two mail setups on push and screen near full brightness and the battery lasts all day (most days). I put it to charge at night.

For what you get $10 is peanuts. How much was the Controller? How much will you get for it when you sell it?

MC

pippin
2010-06-20, 12:27
which is kind of steep based on the cost of most apps.
No, it is not.
Most apps target a customer group of 100 Mil. iOS devices and most of them had a fraction of the development effort.

raaurora
2010-06-20, 20:21
But there are people who don't have a controller at all (for which the apps are the only way to see coverart from their couch) or are unhappy with the controller (long wakeup time, short battery life)

It's much nicer to use than the Controller, both the hardware an software are of a superior quality (for instance syncing and group control are much better designed).
It's more limited than the web interface, but really it's just a diiferent thing. I use the web interface for settings only, otherwise it's slow, clunky and ugly and never nearby (or instant, often in hibernate mode).

Ok, thanks for the perspective guys. I think I am probably just the wrong type of user for the iPeng. My typical scenario is to pick a Rhapsody station I feel like listening to, and let it just stream away while I work. Even for a party, I have a playlist set up with a large number of songs on it. So I bring it up in random mode and let it go. So, that is probably why the app did not resonate for me.

No, it is not.
Most apps target a customer group of 100 Mil. iOS devices and most of them had a fraction of the development effort.

That is interesting info that I probably didn't realize about the pricing model of the app store. Rest assured I was not attempting to disrespect the app itself or its developers.

Zombie
2010-12-09, 00:47
Anyone know of a similar program in Java?

Soulkeeper
2010-12-09, 05:12
So we have a coverage of 13 out of 250 (?) countries in the world.

Strangely, I was allowed to buy SoundHound from the Android Market, and I'm in Norway (that was after I had bought SC on SlideMe, though).

I don't know exactly how that works; I guess either Google charges my cell phone company which in turn charges my workplace, or maybe Google subtracts the money directly from my AdSense account.

???

I really have no idea, as it's not supposed to work at all.

flattermann
2010-12-14, 16:16
Strangely, I was allowed to buy SoundHound from the Android Market, and I'm in Norway (that was after I had bought SC on SlideMe, though).

I don't know exactly how that works; I guess either Google charges my cell phone company which in turn charges my workplace, or maybe Google subtracts the money directly from my AdSense account.

???

I really have no idea, as it's not supposed to work at all.

Google recently added some more countries to the list of "supported-for-paid-apps" and now Norway is supported as well:

http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779