PDA

View Full Version : accessing ITunes from external hard drive

paul44birch
2010-06-13, 11:57
I currently run a squeezebox duet which accesses my music via iTunes stored on my desktop pc. Due to the limited size of the internal hard drive my music is stored in a relatively low bit rate.

I have just purchased an Iomega Prestige 1TB desktop external hard drive (to back up documents etc). Can I now transfer my iTunes to this drive, re-rip my music in apple lossless and still play it via the Duet?

Any help and appropriate instructions appreciated

pski
2010-06-13, 14:26
I currently run a squeezebox duet which accesses my music via iTunes stored on my desktop pc. Due to the limited size of the internal hard drive my music is stored in a relatively low bit rate.

I have just purchased an Iomega Prestige 1TB desktop external hard drive (to back up documents etc). Can I now transfer my iTunes to this drive, re-rip my music in apple lossless and still play it via the Duet?

Any help and appropriate instructions appreciated

iTunes: Edit/preferences/advanced allows you to point to a music location.

Also: Hold the "shift" key while starting iTunes to create/select more than one iTunes library..

p

paul44birch
2010-06-14, 05:37
Thanks P

Just to clarify, I should set up a new ITunes library within the external hard drive and then point to that new location?

garym
2010-06-14, 07:18
Thanks P

Just to clarify, I should set up a new ITunes library within the external hard drive and then point to that new location?

You have several approaches here depending on your goals. If you simply want ONE itunes library, but now want it located on your external harddrive, you don't really need the separate library function (ie., holding shift down when you start itunes allows you to select different libraries). If this is the case I'd do the following:

1. copy all your music to a directory on the external drive (e.g., E:\MUSIC)
Underneath this will be all the normal subdirectories (artists & albums).

2. remove all songs from your itunes library (select and delete). But do NOT allow it to send to recycle bin (this would delete the files and you don't want to do that). So at this point you'll have an empty itunes library but a copy of all your music on both your local drive and the new external drive. You might not want to do it this way if you've saved a lot of ratings and statistics that you want to preserve. There are other approaches that can save these ratings and recently played stats if you desire to do that.
EDIT: and once all is working you can delete the song files off your computer drive. Of course, I'm assuming that you have a SECOND external drive to keep a backup of your music files. You need to have these files on AT LEAST one other backup drive in my opinion. Drives will go bad, it is just a matter of when....

3. Go into itunes, preferences, advanced and change your music library location to this new drive (E:\music). Itunes will then scan all these files and this becomes your main library. When it is done, you'll see all your music now in the itunes library.

4. keep in mind that if you open itunes WITHOUT the external drive being attached (before you start itunes), you'll see the music, but it won't play. And itunes may sometimes 'forget' that your library is E:\music now. So you might have to go to preferences/advanced to reset library location if you ever find that itunes is not finding your files.

NOTE: if you do in fact want to keep separate libraries, as suggested you can do this by holding down the shift key as you start itunes. For example, you might want to have DAD, MOM, KIDS libraries. These can all point to the same music files (i.e., a single set of files), but you can make different decisions about which of those files are added to the library, whether they are checked (to play) or not, playlists, etc.

paul44birch
2010-06-14, 07:39
Thanks for the detailed reply. I assume once done I can then go throught the laborious (but necesary) process of re-ripping my cds as Apple Lossless, which will then be stored on the external drive?

paul44birch
2010-06-14, 08:02
Also do I not need to change setting within squeezebox so that it finds the new hard drive?

garym
2010-06-14, 08:15
Thanks for the detailed reply. I assume once done I can then go throught the laborious (but necesary) process of re-ripping my cds as Apple Lossless, which will then be stored on the external drive?

yep, you'll be good to go. how many CDs are you talking about ripping? I ask, because itunes is not considered a secure ripper and you might want to consider EAC or dbpoweramp. And you'd really like to do this once and for all. So you don't want to rerip everything just to learn a bit more a year from now and realize that itunes is not considered a secure ripper by most folks that take this seriously.

paul44birch
2010-06-14, 09:04
Quite a lot- 500 plus. What is EAC and dbpoweramp?

Did you get me question about changing settings in squeezebox?

garym
2010-06-14, 09:23
Quite a lot- 500 plus. What is EAC and dbpoweramp?

Did you get me question about changing settings in squeezebox?

do you use itunes integration in Squeezebox? If so, I assume the only setting change you need is to tell Squeezebox in the settings where your ituneslibrary file is located. I don't use itunes integration, so not 100% sure about those settings.

dbpoweramp and EAC are CD rippers that both do secure ripping and use accuraterip. Google them, or even use the search function within this forum and you'll find lots of info. dbpoweramp is probably a bit more user friendly, but neither is a simple as itunes.

why apple lossless? other than ipod/iphones what is the point? I'd recommend FLAC files for your lossless files (that would also play on your squeezeboxes). And then for my iphones/ipods I'd make a mirror directory of mp3 files from these FLAC files. Many people would agree that using lossless files on a portable is a waste of space. And although I use itunes for loading up my iphones/ipods, I do NOT use itunes integration within my squeezeboxserver. Instead, I just point squeezeboxserver to the same music directory that itunes uses (i.e., all the music files), and let Squeezebox sever maintain its own library of these files. Keeping the two separate minimizes lots of issues.

Seems that you are new to most of this (as I was a couple of years ago). My best advice is to slow down a bit, read, read, read about all these options on this forum, wiki's etc. and play around a bit. Bottom line is that you want to rip all your CDs to lossless ONE TIME ONLY. And you want to make sure you've made good decisions about type of file, directory structures, how to handle artwork, etc. etc. I ripped over 4,000 CDs to mp3 initially, only to discover when done that I should have used a lossless format. Lesson learned. I'm still working on reripping everything with dbpoweramp to FLAC. Useful tools:

1. dbpoweramp (full reference version, which does cost a little)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm
2. mp3tag (tag program that works with all sorts of files, not just tags)
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

paul44birch
2010-06-14, 11:09
Hi Gary

Yes I am a bit new to all this. I have enjoyed listening to my music on a relatively hi end system over many years (Naim, Audio Innovations) and since investing in the Squeezebox duet I am enjoyng the freedom it gives to listen to more music.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try some of your suggestions and take it slowly

Cheers

garym
2010-06-15, 10:08
Hi Gary

Yes I am a bit new to all this. I have enjoyed listening to my music on a relatively hi end system over many years (Naim, Audio Innovations) and since investing in the Squeezebox duet I am enjoyng the freedom it gives to listen to more music.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try some of your suggestions and take it slowly

Cheers

enjoy! and you'll find folks here very helpful when you run into questions.