PDA

View Full Version : Help with a WEP enabled network



Andy F
2004-08-22, 07:09
I'm a bit late joining this discussion, but I've been on vacation.

I spent weeks trying to get my SB to reliably connect to my wireless
access point (with and without WEP), and have finally been successful.
Possibly this might be of help to you.

I found the SB would work fine once (wirelessly) connected, but it
really struggled to connect. Sometimes I would power cycle it for 30
mins before it connected. Soft reseting never helped. Flushing it back
to factory settings and re-entering the config rarely made any
difference. Reseting the AP rarely helped. I tried all the obvious
things (removing WEP, turning on SSID broadcast) and even tweaked some
of the AP timings - nothing made any difference. Finally I decided to
try a really simple SSID - and it worked fine.

My old SSID was set to 22 chars, a mixture of upper and lower case
alpha and the following 3 chars:
()!

My new SSID is set to 10 alpha chars with a mixture of upper and lower
case.

I switch off the wireless AP at then end of every day and so far the
SB hasn't failed to connect with the simple SSID.

It looks to me as if there's a bug in the SB handling of SSID, or
maybe my old choice of SSID chars is out of spec.

Hope this helps

AndyF

seanadams
2004-08-22, 23:48
Andy,

The Squeezebox firmware doesn't care about the particular contents of
your SSID. More likely this is some glitch in either your base station
or our wireless card.

What model AP are you using? This is a new one... a simple test that we
could do here is to try the same SSID with a different access point.

Sean



On Aug 22, 2004, at 7:09 AM, Andy F wrote:

> I'm a bit late joining this discussion, but I've been on vacation.
>
> I spent weeks trying to get my SB to reliably connect to my wireless
> access point (with and without WEP), and have finally been successful.
> Possibly this might be of help to you.
>
> I found the SB would work fine once (wirelessly) connected, but it
> really struggled to connect. Sometimes I would power cycle it for 30
> mins before it connected. Soft reseting never helped. Flushing it back
> to factory settings and re-entering the config rarely made any
> difference. Reseting the AP rarely helped. I tried all the obvious
> things (removing WEP, turning on SSID broadcast) and even tweaked some
> of the AP timings - nothing made any difference. Finally I decided to
> try a really simple SSID - and it worked fine.
>
> My old SSID was set to 22 chars, a mixture of upper and lower case
> alpha and the following 3 chars:
> ()!
>
> My new SSID is set to 10 alpha chars with a mixture of upper and lower
> case.
>
> I switch off the wireless AP at then end of every day and so far the
> SB hasn't failed to connect with the simple SSID.
>
> It looks to me as if there's a bug in the SB handling of SSID, or
> maybe my old choice of SSID chars is out of spec.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> AndyF
>
>