PDA

View Full Version : Using iTunes and having high quality

isaacc7
2010-06-10, 21:08
I've been loving my touch and everything is working very well. I have SB server running on my macbook which is wired to the same switch as my touch. I have a 170GB library, mostly in mp3 and aac formats. Now that I have a good source to hook to my stereo, I would like to rip my entire collection to a higher quality format like FLAC or Apple Lossless.

I figure that I can get a vortexbox, or do it on my current computer, and do the ripping to the high quality format easily. If I did that, how would I merge the existing mp3/aac files into that library for the SB? I have an awful lot that I don't have on CD. Would it make sense to have parallel libraries? One for my ipod and one for the SB touch? What advantage would there be in running an external server instead of keeping it on my regular computer? Any advice you can send my way would be appreciated!

Isaac

colincliff
2010-06-11, 01:14
I've been using vortex box for a little while. you can install it on any hardware for free; I've put it on a little atom box that i had.

Anyway, it runs parallel libraries for this very reason, A 'flac' one for high quality audio and an 'mp3' one for ipod etc. In reality you can put any format in either library.

I would thoroughly recommend vortexbox software. It can automatically rip your cds to flac and also put a mp3/aac copy in the mp3 folder. any cds that you don't own you can just put a copy of the lower quality files in each folder.

copperstate
2010-06-11, 03:31
If you are a Mac user and use iTunes, I would recommend Apple Lossless as iTunes does not support Flac.

isaacc7
2010-06-11, 08:03
If you are a Mac user and use iTunes, I would recommend Apple Lossless as iTunes does not support Flac.

I would probably just use the FLAC files for the SQ in any case, but I wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be a problem moving my existing mp3's into a vortexbox library. It sounds as though it's doable. Now the decision is do I do this on my computer, or do I get a vortexbox device. What are the advantages of having an external device run SB server?

Isaac

agillis
2010-06-11, 12:26
I would probably just use the FLAC files for the SQ in any case, but I wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be a problem moving my existing mp3's into a vortexbox library. It sounds as though it's doable. Now the decision is do I do this on my computer, or do I get a vortexbox device. What are the advantages of having an external device run SB server?

Isaac

The biggest advantage of the VortexBox is you don't have to have your computer on all the time. Also you have central point to store your music and all your files. You can also use the VortexBox to stream music to almost any player not just your SqueezeBox. VortexBox supports iTunes protocol, DLNA, etc.

pski
2010-06-14, 18:46

As a non-Mac user, I chose to iTunes because you can select to encode lossless (be sure to also select to use error detection) and because you can tell it to take a CD (on insert,) encode it, and eject. I used 3 machines at the same time and then merged the results.

P

pski
2010-06-14, 18:48
The biggest advantage of the VortexBox is you don't have to have your computer on all the time. Also you have central point to store your music and all your files. You can also use the VortexBox to stream music to almost any player not just your SqueezeBox. VortexBox supports iTunes protocol, DLNA, etc.

I don't understand the "have your computer on all the time."

BWA?

Please explain. (I really like the VB distro, by the way.)

P

aubuti
2010-06-14, 22:50
I don't understand the "have your computer on all the time."
Yeah, that is a very confusing and misleading statement, since Vortexbox runs on a computer! In fact it's completely useless without a computer. I suspect agillis means if you get a Vortexbox appliance (or another computer and install the Vortexbox software on it) then "...you don't have to have your current computer on all the time...", which is a huge difference.

But I suppose it's no different from people who say they want/use a NAS because they don't want to have their computer on all the time, overlooking the fact that a NAS is a computer.

agillis
2010-06-15, 13:50
A NAS is a computer and in this case a VortexBox is a computer being used as a NAS. The original poster was complaining that he needed to have his regular desktop computer on all the time to run SqueezeBox Server.

If you have a VortexBox you only need to have it on to listen to music.