PDA

View Full Version : Storage suggestions

ROBBIE BURNS
2010-06-09, 06:45
Hi to all, looking for any suggestions/experince/advice anyone has with large capacity storage devices with built-in back up capability, currently ripping my cd collection to a 1tb la cie drive, was intendeing to purchase another for back up purposes, but longer term im wondering if this is falkse economy. Im currently storing all my cds in flac format, but the file sizes are a lot smaller than i had expected so far i have around 140 cds taking up around 45gig. The question is would i be better purcahsing a nas drive or just another 1tb drive, your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Loving my sb classic!

garym
2010-06-09, 07:38
Unless you really need the functions of a NAS, another USB drive would be best (and a lot cheaper). Lots of threads here about NAS use, readynas DUO, etc. I have a readynas duo and it was a waste for my purposes. The real key is to also store this in a different location. I'm really paranoid about this. I keep 2 at home (main and backup), one at the office, and one at the weekend place. I figure I'm safe with 3 locations in two different cities (short of nuclear attack on this part of the US, and then I'll have greater problems).

moley6knipe
2010-06-09, 11:40
Get another 1Tb drive (it does take a loooong time to fill 1Tb, even with lossless) and then use some good backup software like SyncBack (excellent free version - Google it) to keep both your drives in sync.

iPhone
2010-06-09, 12:33
Hi to all, looking for any suggestions/experince/advice anyone has with large capacity storage devices with built-in back up capability, currently ripping my cd collection to a 1tb la cie drive, was intendeing to purchase another for back up purposes, but longer term im wondering if this is falkse economy. Im currently storing all my cds in flac format, but the file sizes are a lot smaller than i had expected so far i have around 140 cds taking up around 45gig. The question is would i be better purcahsing a nas drive or just another 1tb drive, your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Loving my sb classic!

Personally, I don't like automactic or 'built-in backup' solutions. The one time they fail is the one time you need them. And if its on the same drive or same machine, then its not really backup.

With USB drives as cheap as they are and especially with your size library just get two of the same size USB drives and do a backup after you add CDs to the main USB drive.

My advice, buy another 1TB USB drive.

An NAS is not backup no matter how it is configured and would be a total waste of money for a 140 CD collection.

ROBBIE BURNS
2010-06-10, 01:30
thanks for the advice, i should point out that I have over 600 plus disks and i have only ripped 140 so far. With regards to disk storage space, i had expected 140 cd to take up more room than 45gig as they are being ripped as FLAC files, or is this file size about right for that amount of disks?

spile
2010-06-10, 04:23
I backup my FLAC collection to a 200Gb external drive. When I plug in the drive a backup starts automatically and I keep this drive in my office ie off-site.
I use the free SyncToy to do this using the Echo function. All automated which I like :-)

I also backup everything to an external 2Tb Verbatim drive which I keep in the house.

fphredd
2010-06-10, 09:37
thanks for the advice, i should point out that I have over 600 plus disks and i have only ripped 140 so far. With regards to disk storage space, i had expected 140 cd to take up more room than 45gig as they are being ripped as FLAC files, or is this file size about right for that amount of disks?

I don't know what compression level you're using, but that sounds about right...

JJZolx
2010-06-10, 12:03

My library in FLAC averages about 0.31 GB per album. 140 x 0.31 = 43.4 GB. so that's just about right.

Use another external drive for doing backups. Or, if you don't need the portability of an external drive for day to day server use, use an internal drive for the music server, transfer everything over and use the existing external for the backups.