PDA

View Full Version : Can my SB3 show time when server off?

mnotgninnep
2010-06-05, 05:49
Can my SB3 show the time and date when the server is off? I'd like to have the alarm in the morning but use it as a clock at night. I'd rather not have to leave the server on 24/7.

I guess one way would be to have it connected to mysqueezebox.com but then I'd want it to connect automatically when the server shuts down.

If it helps I've got Server Power Control.

toby10
2010-06-05, 07:45
SB3 requires a server to operate, including the clock.
With no local server you must connect it to MySB.com for clock display.
I don't think there is any automated way to switch between servers (must manually switch it between SBS and MySB, then manually back to SBS).

peterw
2010-06-05, 09:00
I guess one way would be to have it connected to mysqueezebox.com but then I'd want it to connect automatically when the server shuts down.

If it helps I've got Server Power Control.

That's supposed to be a feature of Server Power Control.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521
I think I also saw posts in that thread about Server Power Control switching the players back to SBS when the server boots/wakes up.

mnotgninnep
2010-06-05, 09:17
Thanks, ok, I have got it this far, however it's a royal pain to wake it up again (connect to squeezebox server then press power button on remote to trigger wake on lan) and the alarms on the server don't work because the squeezebox isn't connected. I wonder if it is time to donate my little asus eeepc as a low power server that I can leave on all the time... Do you think that would cope?

peterw
2010-06-05, 12:28
it's a royal pain to wake it up again ... and the alarms on the server don't work because the squeezebox isn't connected. I wonder if it is time to donate my little asus eeepc as a low power server that I can leave on all the time... Do you think that would cope?

For the alarms, it sounds like you're not taking full advantage of server power control -- it's supposed to schedule the pc to boot before the alarm, right? Maybe your pc doesn't support scheduled boots? I expect an eeepc would do fine, esp. if you use non-transcoded formats (mp3, flac, wma), but that depends on a number of factors, including how old the eee is, how big your library is, etc.
Btw, there was an enhancement request to allow SB3 to display a clock when SBS was down (which would work fine so long as the power didn't go out), but Logitech didn't implement that before deciding that there would be no more firmware enhancements to the old players like SB3. :-/

JJZolx
2010-06-05, 14:35
Btw, there was an enhancement request to allow SB3 to display a clock when SBS was down (which would work fine so long as the power didn't go out), but Logitech didn't implement that before deciding that there would be no more firmware enhancements to the old players like SB3. :-/

Well, they're completely out of memory anyway on the old ip3k players. Come to think of it... they're completely out of memory on the new players as well.