PDA

View Full Version : Streaming protected streams



Scott Culverhouse
2004-08-21, 05:15
I there anyway you can stream a wma or real stream than requires a
license to view/listen. I have the license and it plays in Windows Media
and Real play just need to get the audio to the slimserver?

I have read previous post but most mention linux can it be done in
windows, without the need for compiling. (Any pre-compiled binaries?)

Any ideas?



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scott Culverhouse
scottc (AT) dna-is (DOT) net (Private E-mail address)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

kdf
2004-08-21, 10:33
Quoting Scott Culverhouse <scottc (AT) dna-is (DOT) net>:

> I there anyway you can stream a wma or real stream than requires a
> license to view/listen. I have the license and it plays in Windows Media
> and Real play just need to get the audio to the slimserver?
>
> I have read previous post but most mention linux can it be done in
> windows, without the need for compiling. (Any pre-compiled binaries?)
>
> Any ideas?

slimserver does not support any DRM crippled formats.

Scott Culverhouse
2004-08-21, 11:36
Thats kinder what I guessed, anyway way round the Digital Rights crap?

Scott

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:33:27 -0700
kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:

> Quoting Scott Culverhouse <scottc (AT) dna-is (DOT) net>:
>
> > I there anyway you can stream a wma or real stream than requires a
> > license to view/listen. I have the license and it plays in Windows Media
> > and Real play just need to get the audio to the slimserver?
> >
> > I have read previous post but most mention linux can it be done in
> > windows, without the need for compiling. (Any pre-compiled binaries?)
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> slimserver does not support any DRM crippled formats.
>

Pat Farrell
2004-08-21, 20:57
At 02:36 PM 8/21/2004, Scott Culverhouse wrote:
>Thats kinder what I guessed, anyway way round the Digital Rights crap?

Burn your crippled music to a CD
and re-rip it.

Or don't buy DRM music. Find a local used CD store,
buy the CDs cheap. Rip them, and decide if you want
to keep the CD or trade it in for another.

Pat

Jules Taplin
2004-08-22, 04:48
Unfortunately, Scott... just about everything that these devices do, 'looks' like an infringing use to DRM software. Sadly... the whole heart of DRM is about trying to apply an entirely blind technical solution to what is essentially a social problem.

Consider my use for this stuff. I've got 5 squeezeboxes around the house, and I'd like my stream to be available on all of them. Entirely fair, entirely legal, nothing infringing about it. However... in order to accomplish that, slimserver needs to take that stream, and distribute it to 5 separate devices. Even ignoring the details of licensed endpoints, and how the DRM is likely to actually work, that activity is _CLEARLY_ something that the DRM software is going to want to stop - it's no way of knowing that all my Squeezeboxes are actually 'me', or that four of them aren't my degenerate, freeloading, downright evil friends. And given that the entire credo of DRM is 'assumed guilty', it's entirely right to penalise me for it.

Interestingly... this has lead to some rather curious reversals in recent times. Take Real Audio streaming, for example... Windows is the MOST supported platform for RA streaming... and yet the only platforms that I can make support my plugins for Streaming BBC programming are the non-windows ones. The reason is simple - Linux (and by extension MacOS) has had developers that have put enormous time and effort into supporting these streams - and when they did it, they left things open so that they could get work done on it. By contrast, the RA support in Windows relies entirely on the rather horrible players that Real made available, and they're anything BUT open.

Annoying, huh?


-- Jules
----- Original Message -----
From: Pat Farrell
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 4:57 AM
Subject: [slim] Streaming protected streams


At 02:36 PM 8/21/2004, Scott Culverhouse wrote:

Thats kinder what I guessed, anyway way round the Digital Rights crap?

Burn your crippled music to a CD
and re-rip it.

Or don't buy DRM music. Find a local used CD store,
buy the CDs cheap. Rip them, and decide if you want
to keep the CD or trade it in for another.

Pat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Culverhouse
2004-08-22, 04:54
I did not buy DRM music, it is a football website audio commentry that I
wanted to stream.

Scott

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:57:28 -0400
Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com> wrote:

> At 02:36 PM 8/21/2004, Scott Culverhouse wrote:
> >Thats kinder what I guessed, anyway way round the Digital Rights crap?
>
> Burn your crippled music to a CD
> and re-rip it.
>
> Or don't buy DRM music. Find a local used CD store,
> buy the CDs cheap. Rip them, and decide if you want
> to keep the CD or trade it in for another.
>
> Pat



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scott Culverhouse
scottc (AT) dna-is (DOT) net (Private E-mail address)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++