PDA

View Full Version : Does anybodies server crash often?

Ben Gladstone
2004-08-21, 01:39
yes - i'm getting regular (daily+) crashes, either at random or when for instance the sleep function turns off

error logs usually end
"Undefined subroutine &PerlSvc::stopServer called at slimserver.pl line 42."
or "Perl interpreter failed."
Windows XP Pro SP1 / SlimServer_v2004-08-16.exe

From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com on behalf of Jason Holtzapple
Sent: Sat 21.8.04 00:20
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] Does anybodies server crash often?

--- Jeff Pound <jfpound (AT) zeno (DOT) math.fsu.edu> wrote:
I had Slimserver running on RH7.3 Linux for a year with no problems,then
suddenly it started crashing every few days. I reinstalled it withthe latest
REV but no better. I switched it to my Windows2000 machineand it is more stable
but slower and I just noticed that it died afterabout a week. Any suggestions
of how I can get morestability/performance? preferably with Linux but I'll
gladly takeWindows suggestions too

If it was stable for a long time, it is probably something you added to
your library that's causing the crash. I'd remove half the files you've
added since the crashing began. If it is still stable, keep moving files
back in until you find the culprit.

--Jason

Jeff Pound
2004-08-21, 13:22
I took all the music out of the library that I had added this year and so far so good. I did notice that the server is faster now, so I may have had a bad track as Jason suggested.
Thanks Jason!

Ben Gladstone wrote:

yes - i'm getting regular (daily+) crashes, either at random or when for instance the sleep function turns off error logs usually end "Undefined subroutine &amp;PerlSvc::stopServer called at slimserver.pl line 42." or "Perl interpreter failed." Windows XP Pro SP1 / SlimServer_v2004-08-16.exe ________________________________ From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com) on behalf of Jason Holtzapple Sent: Sat 21.8.04 00:20 To: Slim Devices Discussion Subject: [slim] Does anybodies server crash often? --- Jeff Pound &lt;jfpound (AT) zeno (DOT) math.fsu.edu&gt; (mailto:jfpound (AT) zeno (DOT) math.fsu.edu) wrote: I had Slimserver running on RH7.3 Linux for a year with no problems,then suddenly it started crashing every few days. I reinstalled it withthe latest REV but no better. I switched it to my Windows2000 machineand it is more stable but slower and I just noticed that it died afterabout a week. Any suggestions of how I can get morestability/performance? preferably with Linux but I'll gladly takeWindows suggestions too If it was stable for a long time, it is probably something you added to your library that's causing the crash. I'd remove half the files you've added since the crashing began. If it is still stable, keep moving files back in until you find the culprit. --Jason _______________________________________________ Discuss mailing list Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com) http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss __________________________________________________ ____________________ This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System. For more information please visit Http://www.mpcsteadytech.com IMPORTANT - this E-mail and the information contained in it and in any attachments may be confidential and/or legally privileged. This message is intended for the use of the person(s) or organisation ("the Intended Recipient") to whom it is addressed. If you are not the Intended Recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not retransmit, disseminate, disclose or distribute this E-mail or any part of it to any other person, review it, rely on it, use it for any purpose, or store, copy or print the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belong to MMJP Ltd Trading as MPC SteadyTech : the author also asserts the right to be identified as such and object to any misuse. Should you communicate with anyone at MMJP Ltd Trading as MPC SteadyTech by e-mail, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence. __________________________________________________ ____________________

_______________________________________________ Discuss mailing list Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com (mailto:Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com) http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss