PDA

View Full Version : Long ethernet cable network integrity?

leif
2010-05-31, 20:20
I was disappointed when I attached my squeezebox via a 400ft. cat5-e cable to my router and didn't get a signal. It played a couple songs but after a few minutes wouldn't recognize my network. So the next thing I plan to do is setup a dir655 wireless router in between my squeezebox and modem and try to send a wifi signal to the squeezebox about 300 feet away from the dir655. The dir 655 will have to be wired to my modem via ethernet. The questions I have are the following:
I have a 200 ft. ethernet cable I'd like to connect the dir655 to from my modem. Although the distance is only 100ft from my modem to the dir655, I'd like to avoid cutting the ethernet cable in case I need the 200 ft. run for a later project. Will the wireless router be able to shoot a signal just as strong fed from a 200 ft. eternet cable as it will fed from a 100 ft ethernet cable? If an ethernet cable gets cut accidentally can I splice it back together? Is 300 feet for wireless squeezebox fringe range? My conditions are not ideal. The squeezebox is in a kind of valley below where my dir655 is so I imagine I'll have to point the three dir655 directional antenna's down towards my shack where the squeezebox is. Thanks for reading!

agillis
2010-05-31, 20:55
I was disappointed when I attached my squeezebox via a 400ft. cat5-e cable to my router and didn't get a signal. It played a couple songs but after a few minutes wouldn't recognize my network. So the next thing I plan to do is setup a dir655 wireless router in between my squeezebox and modem and try to send a wifi signal to the squeezebox about 300 feet away from the dir655. The dir 655 will have to be wired to my modem via ethernet. The questions I have are the following:
I have a 200 ft. ethernet cable I'd like to connect the dir655 to from my modem. Although the distance is only 100ft from my modem to the dir655, I'd like to avoid cutting the ethernet cable in case I need the 200 ft. run for a later project. Will the wireless router be able to shoot a signal just as strong fed from a 200 ft. eternet cable as it will fed from a 100 ft ethernet cable? If an ethernet cable gets cut accidentally can I splice it back together? Is 300 feet for wireless squeezebox fringe range? My conditions are not ideal. The squeezebox is in a kind of valley below where my dir655 is so I imagine I'll have to point the three dir655 directional antenna's down towards my shack where the squeezebox is. Thanks for reading!

The max distance of Ethernet is 100m. But this is only point to point over one cable run. So if you go say 200ft to an Ethernet switch or router then go another 200ft to another device that is OK.

There is nothing special about Ethernet cable. You buy your own unterminated cable a put Ethernet jacks on it. That is usually what you do for long cable runs.

The best solution is to use cat5 cable runs if you keep the runs under 100m. If you have to use wireless you need a big antenna to get that distance. Just pointing all the antennas toward one location doesn't do anything but reduce the signal you get in other directions. you need a directional antenna

leif
2010-05-31, 20:57
If my wifi signal doesn't reach my shack 300 feet away I was advised to use an existing dtv satalite dish I have as described here:http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

and to buy this to attach to the satalite dish:http://www.inmanselectronics.com/double_biquad_wifi_antenna-p-1.html

Is this a good solution for me if I need extra wifi range?

leif
2010-05-31, 21:05
Are you saying the dir655 will have a hard time reaching my shack 300 feet on it's own? If so will it be cheapest for me to attach an antenna to my dir655 without attaching anything else on my squeezebox side and hope this works? How about my dtv dish solution?

tass
2010-05-31, 21:09
The maximum length of a cat5 run is supposed to be 100m (330ft) so you're exceeding the maximum length by reaching 400ft. A quick hack could be to force your switch and squeezebox to use 10mbit instead of 100mbit and see if that helps.

Other solutions:
If you put, say, 2 lengths of 200ft each with a switch or hub in between, you should be able to make it. The switch will retransmit the signal allowing you another 100m. You'll probably need to use solid core cable, though - you're not supposed to use more than 10m of stranded cable per run. What type of cable are you using? Do you know if it's solid core (solid core is more difficult to bend than stranded cable)?

Alternatively, get two switches with fibre uplink (100BASE-FX) and do it that way. This will give you a maximum run of over 1000ft so you can have one switch at your server and one in the shack. You should be able to find used switches cheap, though I couldn't tell you how much the cable will cost. If the cable breaks, it will also be significantly harder to fix than ethernet (which can be rejoined fairly easily).

Your wireless solution may or may not work - the only way to be 100% sure is to try it. Though, the length of the network cable leading to the switch does not affect the wireless range. The weather will affect your wireless range, however, so it may not be very reliable.

JJZolx
2010-05-31, 21:26
Why didn't you continue the discussion in the previous thread that you started about this setup? You were getting a lot of knowledgeable advice. One would be inclined to think you read none of it.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=79140

leif
2010-05-31, 21:43
I don't have the cable right here. I'm not sure if it's solid core. If I examine the copper inside the jacket will stranded be apparent as braided wire? How do I force squeezebox to operate at 10mbps? Is there a switch I can use that can get electricity from the ethernet cord so I don't have to run an extension cord to the switch? If not I'd like to run the switch 100 feet from termination so I'm only using a single one hundred foot extension cord instead of two daisychained together although this means from the switch to squeezebox will need around 300 feet of cable which is around fringe range.

leif
2010-05-31, 21:49
Why didn't you continue the discussion in the previous thread that you started about this setup? You were getting a lot of knowledgeable advice. One would be inclined to think you read none of it.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=79140

I did read and appreciate the input on that thread although my questions on my last post were not addressed and the topic seemed to have migrated to technical info I'm not knowledgeable about.

pfarrell
2010-05-31, 21:59
leif wrote:
> I don't have the cable right here. I'm not sure if it's solid core. If I
> examine the copper inside the jacket will stranded be apparent as
> braided wire?

And what difference does this make to your questions?

To directly answer the solid or stranded, you have to strip off some of
the insulation on the individual strands, not the whole cable, but the 8
fine wires inside. If each of the 8 is one piece, its solid. If each is
made up of 20 or more very fine wires, its stranded.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

pfarrell
2010-05-31, 22:02
leif wrote:
>> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=79140
>
> I did read and appreciate the input on that thread although my
> questions on my last post were not addressed and the topic seemed to
> have migrated to technical info I'm not knowledgeable about.

That is no excuse to start a new thread. Just reply to your original
thread with additional direct questions.

What you are asking for is technical. There is no way to talk about it
without getting technical.

Running 30 feet or so of Cat5 cable is childs play. Running WiFi over a
couple of hundred feet, or worse, over 100 meters is serious.

There is no way to answer in general if you can use WiFi longer than 100
meters without trying it. And if it works today, it may not work
tomorrow, say if your neighbor puts a WiFi in that conflicts with yours.

Stop being rude, and go back to your original thread.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

lrossouw
2010-06-01, 00:51
Stop being rude, and go back to your original thread.

I would hardly call leif's comments rude. Being a tad harsh.

bobkoure
2010-06-03, 18:23
whoops - wrong thread.
moving my comment