PDA

View Full Version : Need to find a new remote

sleepylight
2010-05-28, 14:12
My squeezebox 2 remote has stopped working. I have no idea what happened, but it's been getting progressively flakier for some time now. My best bet is that the LED died. Anyway, I need to get a new remote (or possibly just a new LED) but since these devices aren't sold anymore, I can't find a place to get a new remote. I know they used to be sold by slimdevices before Logitech bought them. Does anyone know where I could pick on up?

Thanks!

-Max

peterw
2010-05-28, 14:20
My squeezebox 2 remote has stopped working. I have no idea what happened, but it's been getting progressively flakier for some time now. My best bet is that the LED died. Anyway, I need to get a new remote (or possibly just a new LED) but since these devices aren't sold anymore, I can't find a place to get a new remote.

You've looked and it's not just a question of the LED leads breaking, i.e. it's not something you can fix with a little bit of solder?

florca
2010-05-30, 11:15
If you buy a "Universal" Remote (eg one of the "One for All" multi device remotes) and configure it as if for a JVC DVD player then that will work - you have to also enable this in the Squeezecenter server settings menu. The Logitech "Harmony" remotes also have full, native support for SB2/3.

The new "Touch" remotes will also reportedly work, although they've lost a few of the shortcut keys present on the older remotes.

Brgds

Phil

sleepylight
2010-05-30, 16:32
I cracked open the remote and nothing looks obviously broken. Does anyone know what LED the remote uses?

I can break down and get a universal remote, but I'd rather just fix this one if it's cheaper. I have a harmony remote for my TV, which is really nice, but was still something like $75.

plympton
2010-05-30, 19:33
I called to get a replacement remote for my SB3, and they offered to send me a "one-time consideration" replacement for free. I tried to order the part, but for some reason you can't. Go figure. I took them up on the offer.

-Dan

Eeyore69
2010-05-31, 17:35
Sleepylight,

I called the other day about the problem with not being able to buy a replacement remote for my SB3. I too was offered the one time chance to get a free replacement and was happy to agree! Give them a call right away since the customer service rep said that they were almost out of the remotes; I don't know if that is true or not but speed in contacting them wouldn't hurt.

Eeyore

sleepylight
2010-05-31, 19:30
Hey, the one time replacement thing is really good to know. For reasons totally beyond me my remote has suddenly started working again after a week of not working. I cracked it open to see if there was anything loose, didn't see a problem, and after reassembling it, it worked. I don't know what I did, but problem solved.

If it fails again, I'll call logitech. Thanks everyone.

tcutting
2010-06-01, 08:59
sleepynight-
There is a common issue with these remotes that the LED connection to the PCB can crack. It may not be obvious in your case, but that's likely the cause. You might want to open it up again and re-flow the solder where the LED leads connect to the board.

Wirrunna
2010-06-04, 03:46
I have a harmony remote for my TV, which is really nice, but was still something like $75.

You can download a config for the Harmony >>-> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67769. I use a Harmony 520 to control my Boom. Another option if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch is iPeng.