PDA

View Full Version : Dead SB3

Kyle
2010-05-27, 18:13
I have an SB3 that for a long time would take 10-20 minutes for the screen to come on and for it to log into the network after powering up. Now it appears it is totally dead. When I plug it in it does nothing. I've tried unplugging and replugging and leaving it unplugged for awhile before plugging it back in. Nothing. I haven't tried customer service since the Logitech takeover. What can I expect?

aubuti
2010-05-27, 18:19
Is it out of warranty? Slim Devices used to do out-of-warranty repairs for a flat $90, and Logitech continued that for quite a while after the corporate buyout, but no longer. Someone recently posted that Logitech offered them 50% off a new SB if they sent back their dead SB3, so you may not be completely out of luck.

Kyle
2010-05-27, 18:24
I assume it's out of warranty. I've had it for at least a couple of years.

ddewey
2010-05-27, 19:09
Quoting Kyle (Kyle.4bnedb1275009961 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> I assume it's out of warranty. I've had it for at least a couple of
> years.

we need a 'parts depot' forum. Couple people lately have been
looking for replacements screens from dead SBs.

tcutting
2010-05-27, 21:24
You might try removing the wifi card and see if that allows it to "come to life". Might be a problem if you need to run wireless, however. It's worth a try to see if that's the problem (I've seen that crop up several times on the forum).

danull
2010-05-27, 21:38
Quoting Kyle (Kyle.4bnedb1275009961 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> I assume it's out of warranty. I've had it for at least a couple of
> years.

we need a 'parts depot' forum. Couple people lately have been
looking for replacements screens from dead SBs.

Mine was the power supply and I proved it by moving my Roku Netflix Player power supply on the SB3 and voila it went from totally dead to working. OP might also consider this as a possible failing part...

Kyle
2010-05-28, 00:49
I tried using the power supply from one of my other units to no avail.

Soulkeeper
2010-05-28, 03:57
Pick out the WiFi module then, and see if that makes any difference.

Kyle
2010-05-28, 06:01
I need WiFi, so if that's the problem, I'm screwed anyway, unless the card is replaceable.

Soulkeeper
2010-05-28, 06:05
Well, if that's the problem, at least you'll know.

Then you can buy a $30 router to use as a wireless bridge, or you can sell your SB3 as a second hand WiFi-less SB3 on Ebay or something.

Or you can just give up, throw the whole thing in the trash, and we'll all forget about this soon enough. ;)

Kyle
2010-05-28, 09:13
Further inspection reveals the unit is slightly warm, so it must be getting power.

Kyle
2010-05-28, 09:29
OK, I removed the wireless card, and it comes right on when I plug it in. So, what are my options? Can I just leave the card in place but not seated in the connector, or should I cut the wires and remove it altogether?

peterw
2010-05-28, 09:34
OK, I removed the wireless card, and it comes right on when I plug it in. So, what are my options? Can I just leave the card in place but not seated in the connector, or should I cut the wires and remove it altogether?

Maybe remove the card, but don't cut anything!! Those wires are standard wifi antenna cables, you should be able to pull/snap those off pretty easily.

SB2/SB3/Classic use a standard Atheros mini-PCI card that is usually pretty easy to find on eBay for less than $20 USD with shipping. Other threads on this forum have described where to find one, e.g. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=340269&postcount=11 If that post is correct, then this should be a good candidate for $16 USD (if your problem is the wifi card): http://cgi.ebay.com/TL-WN560G-MiniPCI-Mini-PCI-WiFi-802-11b-g-adapter-NEW-/230458680645 -- just snap those wifi antenna cables back on and you should be set to go wireless again.

Kyle
2010-05-28, 09:38
Do they come off by pulling straight up? I don't want to pull the wires out of the connectors.

EDIT: Never mind, I got them off.

Kyle
2010-05-28, 09:47
Thanks, Peter. Just placed an order. When I install, will it matter which wire goes where? It says one is main and one is auxiliary. It looks like both antennas are the same.

peterw
2010-05-28, 13:37
Thanks, Peter. Just placed an order. When I install, will it matter which wire goes where? It says one is main and one is auxiliary. It looks like both antennas are the same.

I don't know if it matters or not. Sorry I forgot to mention that -- it's been a while since I've replaced a laptop wifi card. Good luck.

Kyle
2010-06-11, 14:28
Thanks to everyone. This worked perfectly. A $16 fix!

Kyle
2010-06-12, 10:24
Well, that didn't last long. After working fine yesterday, the SB is back to its old state. Nothing happens unless I remove the wireless card, and then it works fine. The card has quit working. Could this be a function of: a. a bad card; b. card not designed for SB; c. something else is wrong in the SB causing the card to burn out?

muski
2011-06-19, 20:13
Thanks to whomever recommended reseating the wifi card. My toddler had dropped mine, and I thought it was a goner. However, after a few tries at reinstalling the wifi card, it came back to life.

Turns out there are two connectors that need to be verified -- one is the wifi card itself (with clips on the side). The other is that the circuit board that holds the wifi card. It needs to be properly seated to the motherboard. In my case it was this one that came loose. That board is only held in place by some double sided tape, so it can easily come out. I just removed it completely and reseated it carefully.

Worked!