PDA

View Full Version : SB3 display dead. Logitech won't repair it... Even for a fee...

Ford Freak
2010-05-25, 17:33
The display on my SB3 cracked. I found this out after I noticed it wouldn't come on. I took it apart since my warranty expired long ago anyway. I called support to see if they would be able to fix it. They said no because it isn't under warranty anymore. WTF!!! Has anybody else had this problem? The only thing he could do was offer 50% off a new product. I like my V3 so I want to keep it. Even if that means fixing it myself.

I own a Logitech keyboard and mouse. I really like them. I think it was a bad idea for them to take over Slim Devices though. I'm not sure I'd want to buy another Logitech device again if they don't offer repairs after the warranty expires.

snarlydwarf
2010-05-25, 17:49
The display on my SB3 cracked. I found this out after I noticed it wouldn't come on. I took it apart since my warranty expired long ago anyway. I called support to see if they would be able to fix it. They said no because it isn't under warranty anymore. WTF!!! Has anybody else had this problem? The only thing he could do was offer 50% off a new product. I like my V3 so I want to keep it. Even if that means fixing it myself.

I own a Logitech keyboard and mouse. I really like them. I think it was a bad idea for them to take over Slim Devices though. I'm not sure I'd want to buy another Logitech device again if they don't offer repairs after the warranty expires.

The displays used for the SB3/Classic are no longer made.

I'm sure there are boxes of them in Logitech warehouses, but they no doubt alloted them all to warranty service parts.

If they had spare displays, they would have used them to extend the production of the Classic -- the lack of displays left that slot in their product line ("component item with builtin display") empty for months.

As has been pointed out here before, that empty slot in the product line would have killed Slim Devices. Logitech has much deeper pockets and can weather out a product shortage much better.

Ford Freak
2010-05-25, 18:06
If that's the case, I'll try to find a dead unit to remove the display from. The new unit looks nice. I wish it had 802.11n though. I'm also guessing you can't use the 6.x.x software with it.

aubuti
2010-05-25, 19:38
Correct, you need 7.5.0 or later for the SB Touch. If you're looking to cannibalize a VFD, note that the display in the SB2 is the same as the SB3, but it's mounted very differently.

bobkoure
2010-05-26, 07:40
Maybe look for a "demo" SB3? They're useless as players, but they just differ in the firmware. Might be easiest to just do a mainboard swap(?)

bhaagensen
2010-05-26, 14:31
I called support to see if they would be able to fix it. They said no because it isn't under warranty anymore. WTF!!! Has anybody else had this problem? The only thing he could do was offer 50% off a new product.

I'm with you on being bummed that they can't fix it.

But serisouly. Did they offer you a 50% discount on a new product because they couldn't fix a product that is out of warranty??? That sounds like too good a deal to be true...

toby10
2010-05-26, 15:10
I'm with you on being bummed that they can't fix it.

But serisouly. Did they offer you a 50% discount on a new product because they couldn't fix a product that is out of warranty??? That sounds like too good a deal to be true...

I agree. 50% of a Touch or even an SB3? $150 for either? TAKE IT!

Even if they could fix your SB3 display, it might cost $150 to replace it.

They used to offer a flat $90 for SB3 repairs, plus shipping. But that is long gone. :(

aubuti
2010-05-26, 15:27
I agree. 50% of a Touch or even an SB3? $150 for either? TAKE IT!
Better yet, get a Transporter and save $1000. Your spouse/significant other will be so proud of you........ ;o)

avta
2010-05-26, 18:14
Here's one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Squeezebox-V3-classic-works-great-Pandora-wifi-server-/250639386120?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b458608#ht_500wt_1154

Ford Freak
2010-05-26, 20:06
While the 50% is tempting, the only thing I really want is a boom for my bedroom. I want to keep my 3 in the living room. It has to be sent back if I want the 50% off coupon.