PDA

View Full Version : Volume of Music - Gain?

Pidsley
2010-05-20, 04:02
Hello,

I have finally got to grips with tagging (i hope). Many thanks to all those who put up with my idiotic questions. By the way as iTunes and Mp3tag havenow added additional compatibility it may useful for someone at mp3tag to catalogue the new fields.

My setup is as follows:

SBS running on a Netgear ReadyNas Duo
SB Duet and 5 receivers.
MP3's only
I also use the same mp3's for itunes (running on a PC)
MP3tag used to tag and order folder

Can anyone suggest the best way to sor t out the different volumes in music I have? I have read around the forums, but can't decide.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-20, 05:47
Hello,

I have finally got to grips with tagging (i hope). Many thanks to all those who put up with my idiotic questions. By the way as iTunes and Mp3tag havenow added additional compatibility it may useful for someone at mp3tag to catalogue the new fields.

My setup is as follows:

SBS running on a Netgear ReadyNas Duo
SB Duet and 5 receivers.
MP3's only
I also use the same mp3's for itunes (running on a PC)
MP3tag used to tag and order folder

Can anyone suggest the best way to sor t out the different volumes in music I have? I have read around the forums, but can't decide.

MP3Gain

Pidsley
2010-05-20, 06:22
Thanks again Leigh.

Is this a better way to go than Foobar?

Phil Leigh
2010-05-20, 06:58
Thanks again Leigh.

Is this a better way to go than Foobar?

It's Phil... and I use Foobar exclusively to apply gain tags. It just works. I've done it on 30,000+ files! :-)

MrSinatra
2010-05-20, 14:22
i posted a similar answer in a similar thread, but i don't like modifying the actual gain in the audiofile.

i think its best to do it in tags. RG tags for SBS, and soundcheck tags for itunes. (note: i hate itunes)

only worry i'd have doing this, is that SBS might get confused. it used to combine RG and SC values, but i think thats been fixed.

garym
2010-05-20, 14:55
i posted a similar answer in a similar thread, but i don't like modifying the actual gain in the audiofile.

i think its best to do it in tags. RG tags for SBS, and soundcheck tags for itunes. (note: i hate itunes)

only worry i'd have doing this, is that SBS might get confused. it used to combine RG and SC values, but i think thats been fixed.

agree with using foobar2000 to apply replaygain tags (rather than using mp3gain to change the audio volume). The RG tag/Soundcheck problem has been long fixed, so there is no problem with having ITUNES scan your files to add soundcheck values and ALSO having foobar scan the same files to add RG tags.

Pidsley
2010-05-21, 03:17
It's Phil... and I use Foobar exclusively to apply gain tags. It just works. I've done it on 30,000+ files! :-)

Sorry Phil. When your first reply stated mp3gain, I was assuming you were recommending the "mp3gain" software for me to use to sort out my volume issues.

It seems the consensus of opinion is "foobar".

I detest iTunes also, but I need to use it to sync my ipod which is then sync'd to my in car Parrot system.

Thanks again.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-21, 15:16
Sorry Phil. When your first reply stated mp3gain, I was assuming you were recommending the "mp3gain" software for me to use to sort out my volume issues.

It seems the consensus of opinion is "foobar".

I detest iTunes also, but I need to use it to sync my ipod which is then sync'd to my in car Parrot system.

Thanks again.

Sorry...I assumed that as you are using MP3 files, MP3Gain (set as tags only) would be fine. ReplayGain would also be fine.
Just use Foobar 2K and apply replaygain tags and you will be fine.

Häagen-Dazs
2010-05-29, 01:15
I just started ripping my CD collection using EAC. I plan to use Foobar 2000 for replaygain tags.
Should I tag the replaygain as I go along, or is it better to use Foobar on the entire library when I finish ripping my collection?

andynormancx
2010-05-29, 02:20
If you rip with dbPowerAmp instead the whole process will be quicker, easier and you can have you ReplayGain tags set automatically as you rip each disc.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-29, 03:51
I just started ripping my CD collection using EAC. I plan to use Foobar 2000 for replaygain tags.
Should I tag the replaygain as I go along, or is it better to use Foobar on the entire library when I finish ripping my collection?

You MUST do it afterwards to get correct Albumgain tags

andynormancx
2010-05-29, 07:14
You MUST do it afterwards to get correct Albumgain tags

Why ?

Phil Leigh
2010-05-29, 08:40
Why ?

Because if you apply RG tags track by track in EAC, there's no way it can know what the loudest track on the album is until after it has done the last track on an album. So while the TrackGain tags are OK, the AlbumGain tags aren't. I learnt this the hard way and had to redo all my RG tags in Foobar.

Häagen-Dazs
2010-05-29, 12:21
What I meant was that you can either apply RG after ripping each album, or wait and do the entire CD-collection in the end. I assume that waiting until I have ripped all my CDs will speed up the process, or am I wrong?

garym
2010-05-29, 12:28
What I meant was that you can either apply RG after ripping each album, or wait and do the entire CD-collection in the end. I assume that waiting until I have ripped all my CDs will speed up the process, or am I wrong?

You don't need to do it at the end of ripping EVERYTHING. If needed, I typically do it after I finish ripping a CD. Or maybe I rip a dozen CDs, then do several steps (clean up tags, etc.). And in my case, I use dbpoweramp to rip so it does the album gain values automatically just after it rips all the tracks. But if I had to rerip a particular track to get a secure result, I need to redo the album replaygain info. I use foobar2000 to do this, mp3tag to clean up tags, and dbpoweramp to ultimately convert my FLAC files to mp3 for use on my ipods.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-30, 02:40

Either way will take the same amount of processing time and produce equivalent results. I'd say it boils down to personal preference. My earlier point was that the inbuilt RG capability of EAC works track by track not album by album and you don't want to use that.

lrossouw
2010-05-31, 23:08

Doesn't matter as long as you don't do it part way through ripping an album otherwise your album gain values will be wrong.

If I have a lot of ripping to do I work on ripping and artwork and then do the replay gain using foobar in batches of albums or all at once at the end.

andynormancx
2010-06-01, 03:50
My earlier point was that the inbuilt RG capability of EAC works track by track not album by album and you don't want to use that.
Thankfully dbPowerAmp does it properly as it calculates and applies the RG after ripping the whole album.

When ripping my whole music collection the only time when I had to go back and use foobar2000 was when a track had failed to rip on the first attempt.