PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox touch + coaxial = no music

albertbope
2010-05-19, 23:39
I've got Squeezebox touch since 5 days ago and when I connect it to my HiFi audio system through a coaxial cable doesn't sound at all and through analog cables I've got no problem, Am I missing any step about cable configuration or something?
thank you very much

cliveb
2010-05-20, 00:32
I've got Squeezebox touch since 5 days ago and when I connect it to my HiFi audio system through a coaxial cable doesn't sound at all and through analog cables I've got no problem, Am I missing any step about cable configuration or something?
Presumably when you say "coaxial" you are referring to the SPDIF output.
Does your HiFi system have a digital input? If it doesn't, your system only takes analogue signals, so you can't use the SPDIF output (unless you add a DAC).

albertbope
2010-05-20, 02:56
There's two different digital audio outputs, coaxial (which is a orange output), and SPDIF output. My HiFi System does have digital audio (coaxial and SPDiF) but when I plug coaxial cable in it doesn't sound anything, but it works with another devices. I didn't try the SPDIF output.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-20, 03:15
There's two different digital audio outputs, coaxial (which is a orange output), and SPDIF output. My HiFi System does have digital audio (coaxial and SPDiF) but when I plug coaxial cable in it doesn't sound anything, but it works with another devices. I didn't try the SPDIF output.

erm...no.
The "orange" digital output is the Coaxial S/PDIF output.
The "other" digital output is the TOSLINK (optical) S/PDIF output

albertbope
2010-05-20, 03:54
???
Coaxial output and SPDIF output are together? I mean, you have to use both outputs to get digital audio?? Do I need to use 2 cables? I'm very lost right now. I got a HDD with a coaxial output and I used to connect it to HiFi system, I tried the same with squeezebox but it didn't work. So, the orange output is called Toslink output and I guess uses different cable than coaxial.
Thanks

cliveb
2010-05-20, 04:05
???
Coaxial output and SPDIF output are together? I mean, you have to use both outputs to get digital audio?? Do I need to use 2 cables? I'm very lost right now.
No, you don't need to use 2 cables.

SPDIF is the protocol used for sending audio in a digital format. It can be sent over either electrical COAX (using a normal wire cable), or over optical Toslink (using a fibre-optic cable). You use whichever one is appropriate for the device you're trying to feed.

I got a HDD with a coaxial output and I used to connect it to HiFi system, I tried the same with squeezebox but it didn't work.
You have a hard disk drive with an SPDIF output? Is it some sort of external disk with a media player built in? If you tell us the make and model that might help us figure out what the problem is.

Please also let us know the make and model of your HiFi system so we can check the specs to see what kind of signals it can accept.

m1abrams
2010-05-20, 06:27
Make sure that you have your receiver set to use the correct digital input when you connect the Touch via digital.

ghostrider
2010-05-20, 06:42
And that the cable is good.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-20, 06:55
???
Coaxial output and SPDIF output are together? I mean, you have to use both outputs to get digital audio?? Do I need to use 2 cables? I'm very lost right now. I got a HDD with a coaxial output and I used to connect it to HiFi system, I tried the same with squeezebox but it didn't work. So, the orange output is called Toslink output and I guess uses different cable than coaxial.
Thanks

I'm obviously having a bad communication day. I thought what I wrote was crystal clear. Let's try again...

S/PDIF is a data PROTOCOL - a standard/set of rules for transmitting & receiving data.
There are 2 (actually there are several but I'm only going to talk about the ones supported by the Touch) methods of physically transporting that protocol...

1) Coaxial (electronic) connection - a standard, single cable with RCA connectors at each end and 75-ohm cable. THIS IS THE ORANGE CONNECTOR.

2) an optical link using fibre-optic cable - this is called a TOSLINK connection - this is the other connector on the Touch.

You only need to use one or the other, depending on what you have on your amplifier! If you have a choice of both, try both and see which sound (if any) you prefer.