PDA

View Full Version : Some configuration questions

isaacc7
2010-05-17, 08:24
I am thinking about getting a SB touch, but I have a few questions about how I might set it up. What I would like to do is connect the SB to my computer (macbook running OS 10.6) directly for streaming my library via ethernet and have the SB access my wireless network for the internet radio. I've tried searching but I haven't been able to find out if this is possible.

One more thing, I currently use iTunes. Can I use the server software with my current iTunes library, playlists, etc? Once again, searching has pulled up contradictory info and I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for any info you can send my way!

Isaac

iPhone
2010-05-17, 12:59
I am thinking about getting a SB touch, but I have a few questions about how I might set it up. What I would like to do is connect the SB to my computer (macbook running OS 10.6) directly for streaming my library via ethernet and have the SB access my wireless network for the internet radio. I've tried searching but I haven't been able to find out if this is possible.

One more thing, I currently use iTunes. Can I use the server software with my current iTunes library, playlists, etc? Once again, searching has pulled up contradictory info and I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for any info you can send my way!

Isaac

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

I don't believe the Touch will do wireless and Ethernet at the same time. And if you have a wireless network what is the need to have the Touch connected to the Mac by Ethernet (unless the Mac is not on the Network)?

So if the PC has network access, just use the Touch wireless. The Touch doesn't have to be directly connected to the PC to work, it just needs access to the network the Server is on. In this way it can play music from the PC and stream music off the Internet.

Yes, SBS can use your iTunes library and playlists.

Does that answer your questions? More questions?

isaacc7
2010-05-17, 16:47
Well, I had heard that streaming from the computer went more smoothly if the SB was hardwired as opposed to using the wireless. The computer won't usually be near the router, but the SB will be near the computer, so I thought that if I could attach the SB to the computer, I could avoid glitches. If you think that streaming from the computer to the SB touch over wireless won't be a problem, than I won't worry about it. Thanks for the info!

Isaac

lrossouw
2010-05-17, 20:44
Well, I had heard that streaming from the computer went more smoothly if the SB was hardwired as opposed to using the wireless. The computer won't usually be near the router, but the SB will be near the computer, so I thought that if I could attach the SB to the computer, I could avoid glitches. If you think that streaming from the computer to the SB touch over wireless won't be a problem, than I won't worry about it. Thanks for the info!

Isaac

If your wireless network is not good and you stream high bandwidth lossless files, you may get problems if both the PC is wireless and the touch is wireless. It is usually recommended that the pc with the server is connected wired in this case.

If the two are close you should be able to connect the Touch to the pc directly when you are listening to local files (if needs be). I understand that it should be relatively painless to switch between the two configurations (i.e. just plug in the ethernet cable or unplug it). Wired it would find our pc. Wireless it should still find your server or mysqueezebox.com. It just can't do it wired and wireless *at the same time*.

isaacc7
2010-05-17, 20:50
Well, when I get it I'll just try it wirelessly and see what happens. If need be I can try to use it in "bridge mode." If I understand that correctly the SB would get its signal via the computer. Anyway, I won't worry about problems until they come up, thanks!

Isaac

iPhone
2010-05-17, 21:37
Well, when I get it I'll just try it wirelessly and see what happens. If need be I can try to use it in "bridge mode." If I understand that correctly the SB would get its signal via the computer. Anyway, I won't worry about problems until they come up, thanks!

Isaac

I think the part that might be confusing is what most people are speaking about when they say better streaming when wired, as in the first connection. Ethernet the Server (your Mac) to the Wireless WiFi Router if you can. Then the Router will talk to the Squeezebox(es) wirelessly, IE only one wireless hop. Will two wireless hops work (server to router to Squeezebox), in most cases. The idea is if there are buffering issues then remove the wireless hop between Server and Router so that its Server-Ethernet-Router-Wireless-Squeezebox. Of course if its completely Ethernet then there should never be any issues as to Network.

I have done Beta work for Logitech so I run two systems: my main system and a Beta test system. My main system is Server Ethernet to WiFi Router Ethernet to Transporter and Touch. All other Squeezeboxes are wireless. This system has no Internet connection and is a completely isolated WiFi Network. My Beta Server is again Ethernet to WiFi Router with all Squeezeboxes wireless. This system is connected to the Internet.

Hope that helps. And help is available here from the Forum Users as it IS a Users Forum not Logitech Tech Support. With what you're wanting to do, I say buy the Touch and if you have questions or an issue the Forum Users are here to help as are Tech Support if you Email or call them. The Logitech guys check the Forums now and again but direct support is though Tech Support Email or calling. And if you post your issue and ask for help here, if a Forum reader has the answer or an idea they will chime in as they have done with these questions.

isaacc7
2010-05-17, 21:47
Yeah, I know that people are usually talking about having the SB wired to the router, which is why I asked about doing it another way. I was thinking that if I had a problem with the two hop wireless thing, I could just connect the SB to the server instead on the server to the router as that's not very convenient. Anyway, thanks!

Isaac

Mnyb
2010-05-17, 22:13
Note that if the "server" does other things than serving music you can get a suprise.

If the server is on wifi and you decide to dl an unusually large torrent or a system upgrade or something..

You can indirectly choke the wifi by doing other stuff.

But try the Squeebox solution, the MO is not so centered around a computer UI .

The players have their own UI's and remote controls so the server can be out of sight (and out of earshot if it's desktop with fans and stuff) .

The server interfaces with you trough an web-UI, which seems weird until you see that this web page can be surfed to by all computers on the network.
So you don't have to be near the "server" to maintain it or control music with a computer if you like that.

That's why so many of us uses a headless (no monitor or keyboard) server dumped in the basement or similar. or recycle old PC's that nobody want's as servers just share the discs so that you can put new music on it.

Note that players are not "soundcards" so they are independent of any sound resources drivers and OS on the server.

This client server architechture and distributed UI thing makes it really shine as a multiplayer/multiroom setup , they don't advertise this enough imo

But just try the squeezebox as is to see if you like it .

Is there still a 30 day trail and return policy in the US ? if you live there.

This might not be what everybody want's some are just happy with something similar to "a long cable to the computer" and are sitting in front of the computer when playing music with it. You can of course do this with squeezeboxes to, but thats not thier main strength.

isaacc7
2010-05-23, 13:16
OK, I've got another idea. After reading a bit more in these forums and elsewhere, I think a moca solution might be in my future, even if I don't get a SB:-) Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I have my computer/server connected to the same router as my SB touch, things will go swimmingly regardless of what format I decide to stream, right?

Here's the situation. Currently I have a FIOS system with the main router downstairs. My housemates have their computers hooked up down there, and we all use our wireless devices (3 notebooks) from the same router. That works OK for surfing, but I do sometimes run into trouble with big downloads or streaming video if someone else is doing the same thing via wi-fi. Since FIOS has enormous bandwidth, I assume this us just us clogging up the wireless spectrum.

So, if I add a moca router in my room and connect both the SB and my computer to it, that should both prevent streaming problems with the SB and improve my speeds in general, right? I'm glad I started to go through these forums, I've learned quite a bit even before getting my SB!:-)

TheLastMan
2010-05-24, 07:28
So, if I add a moca router in my room and connect both the SB and my computer to it, that should both prevent streaming problems with the SB and improve my speeds in general, right? I'm glad I started to go through these forums, I've learned quite a bit even before getting my SB!:-)

If I understand right your system will have:
Computer with SqueezeBox Server - ethernet cable - Router - ethernet cable - SB Touch

Yes, that is the best configuration to have for playing ripped music on the PC. However, I am not sure where the internet fits into this scheme. Can the second moca router in your room connect to the main one wirelessly? Or will it be wired to the main router?

isaacc7
2010-05-24, 08:09
It's my understanding that the moca router in my room will be linked to the main router downstairs since FIOS is a moca system. I guess I didn't spell that out before:-) The coax line that comes into my room is on the same line that the rest of the system is on. I will have a splitter and then from there, one side will go to the set top box for TV, and the other will go to the moca router. When I hook up the computer, squeezebox, etc to that I will also have access to the internet, no?

TheLastMan
2010-05-24, 15:22
It's my understanding that the moca router in my room will be linked to the main router downstairs since FIOS is a moca system. I guess I didn't spell that out before:-) The coax line that comes into my room is on the same line that the rest of the system is on. I will have a splitter and then from there, one side will go to the set top box for TV, and the other will go to the moca router. When I hook up the computer, squeezebox, etc to that I will also have access to the internet, no?
Sorry, I am in the UK so FIOS didn't mean anything to me. I have since Googled and see that it is a bundled TV, Internet and phone service over cable. We have a similar package over here provided by Virgin Media.

Most houses here do not have general coax cabling, even if they do have cable TV it is usually only to one or two rooms. So I had to Google MoCA as well! I now see that it is a way of distributing a broadband signal over coax cable also carrying a TV signal.

So, presuming your main FIOS router is distributing broadband using MoCA over the coax to your room then a MoCA router in your room with Cat5 ethernet connecting your PC and SB Touch sounds a great combination.

isaacc7
2010-05-24, 19:24
Yeah, when I ran across the idea in these very forums, I was amazed that I hadn't heard of it before. Coax cable is pretty common in many rooms over here in the states, I think it's the main reason why Verizon decided to go the MoCA route, it would make multi-room networking much easier for them. I will report back once I get the router, and if Logitech ever allows me to order my touch...

larryp7639
2010-05-31, 20:32
if your wireless network is not good and you stream high bandwidth lossless files, you may get problems if both the pc is wireless and the touch is wireless. It is usually recommended that the pc with the server is connected wired in this case.

If the two are close you should be able to connect the touch to the pc directly when you are listening to local files (if needs be). I understand that it should be relatively painless to switch between the two configurations (i.e. Just plug in the ethernet cable or unplug it). Wired it would find our pc. Wireless it should still find your server or mysqueezebox.com. It just can't do it wired and wireless *at the same time*.

me too

isaacc7
2010-06-02, 15:02
Well, I got an Actiontec MI424wr rev. A to use as a MOCA router/switch, but it was dead soon after. I then did what I should have done to begin with, I ordered a new actiontec moca bridge and a 5 port switch. Luckily, those things came along with my touch today:-) The setup was incredibly simple. I attached the coaxial cable to the actiontec, an ethernet cable from it to the switch, and then the computer and the SB touch to the switch. BANG! Everything came right up, no problems! In addition to that, my internet speed has shot through the roof. No more sharing the wireless signal with the others.

For those of you wondering how to get better speeds, I encourage you to check out a moca bridge, it's dead simple. Now it's time to kick back with some tunes:-)

Isaac