PDA

View Full Version : are all taggers equal?

ratso
2010-05-17, 08:16
as i have stated in other threads here i am starting to get very frustrated with the inability of my new touch to pick up tags correctly. however, i will take a deep breath and try to figure out what is going on. perhaps i have it wrong and it is not the fault of squeezebox at all. ONE of my current frustrations is this. i have an album (HDTracks hi-rez download of krauss/plant's "raising sand" in flac) that i cannot get the track order correct on. it has 13 tracks and it is putting tracks 11, 12, and 13 at the start of the cd (1st, 2nd and 3rd) instead of at the end. i have tagged the files using subsonic which is built in to my vortexbox NAS. to try to fix this i have done the following:
1. used subsonic to "suggest" the proper track order, saved it as tags and done a clear all/rescan with squeezebox. (for all below, i did a clear all/rescan each time BTW).
2. cleared all from the track order so no track order was listed.
3. randomly scrambled up the track order, rescanned, then put them back in the correct order and rescanned.
4. changed the tags so that the titles of the tracks are numbered before the title of the song (example: tagged song one so the title of the song is changed from "rich woman" to "1. rich woman").
5. changed the actual name of the flac file as in number 4 (ex. from "rich woman.flac" to "1. rich woman.flac").

not much else to try. none worked. the question i have is this. do all tagging programs do the same thing? is all that seperates them ease of use, features, etc. they just change/add the metadata for the tracks, correct, so as long as you get the metadata on the track there is no such thing as one program doing it "better" than another is there? i should add that the tags show up as perfectly fine in subsonic, so why can't squeezebox "see" them correctly? i have experienced this before, where squeezebox seems to "lock on" to incorrect tags and refuses to "let go" of them no matter what changes are made to the tags.

aubuti
2010-05-17, 08:41
Have you tried leading zeroes (01, 02, ..., 09, 10, 11, etc)? One can debate whether or not leading zeroes _should_ be necessary, but at least as a diagnostic it could help isolate your problem. I don't think SBS needs leading zeroes to get the track order correct, but I've never tested it.

As for tagging programs doing it better or worse than one another, they are not all equal. First is ease of use. Even though they are just writing metadata, some software makes it a lot easier than others, especially for mass changes to tags. Second is what I would call "restraint". Some tagging programs like to add tags that you didn't necessarily ask for, or even edit tags that you didn't want edited. The latter are usually bugs, not design, but they're an issue. I'm sure there are other differences that are more or less relevant to you.

finnbrodersen
2010-05-17, 08:57
IMHO mp3tag is pretty good.

It also works for flac files.

Phil Leigh
2010-05-17, 09:46
Almost certainly the problem is that the HDTracks files contain both FLAC and ID3Vx tags. In Subsonic you are probably editing one and not the other.
You need something like MP3Tag to sort out difficult cases like this.

JJZolx
2010-05-17, 13:52
Have you tried leading zeroes (01, 02, ..., 09, 10, 11, etc)? One can debate whether or not leading zeroes _should_ be necessary, but at least as a diagnostic it could help isolate your problem. I don't think SBS needs leading zeroes to get the track order correct, but I've never tested it.

It does not need them. Track numbers in the database are numeric, so the leading zeroes are dropped.

ratso
2010-05-17, 19:43
IMHO mp3tag is pretty good.

It also works for flac files.

thanx but i'm on a mac. i have been playing around with picard tonight, it seems to fix my errors but is really (IMHO) klunky to use. i am going to see if i can find a simpler program.

lrossouw
2010-05-17, 19:52
thanx but i'm on a mac. i have been playing around with picard tonight, it seems to fix my errors but is really (IMHO) klunky to use. i am going to see if i can find a simpler program.

Picard (the MusicBrainz software) tags are excellent quality, but yes it is not the smoothest of interfaces and is very klunky. What I find good is to set it to clear all existing tags before writing its tags. That way you end up with the right type of tags on the right file.

ratso
2010-05-21, 11:42
Almost certainly the problem is that the HDTracks files contain both FLAC and ID3Vx tags. In Subsonic you are probably editing one and not the other.
You need something like MP3Tag to sort out difficult cases like this.

it looks like the answer to my question is that all taggers are kinda equal. sort of. it seems like taggers fall into 2 broad categories - very basic but super easy to use and powerful but (usually) more difficult to use. i have again pasted phil's suggestion because for me this became the best choice. it fixes broken ID tags (well, it just WORKS period where the more basic subsonic sometimes doesn't) and it is has a pretty straightforward interface. as i stated above i use a mac, so the only problem for me is i have to load the cd's with broken tags onto a zip drive, transfer them to my PC laptop to fix them, then transfer them back to the mac. luckily, i only have to do this with the few files that subsonic can't fix.

sindre_mehus
2010-05-24, 06:19
Hi,

Version 4.0 and later of Subsonic uses the Jaudiotagger library for reading and writing tags.

This library (luckily) hides a lot of the tag details for the developer, but I think it uses FLAC tags (or Vorbis comments, really).

Regards,
Sindre (Subsonic Developer)