PDA

View Full Version : KFI 640 AM Los Angeles

Leo63
2010-05-14, 16:55
I would like to know if some one with a Squeezebox Radio the $199 retail one,
could try to tune in KFI 640 AM Los Angeles and tell me if you can get it.
I do not want it to go through the squeezebox server. I would like to know
if you can get it through mysqueezebox.com They have changed the Stream to AAC
and my Squeezebox boom will not play it through my squeezebox.com. It will
how ever play it through the squeezebox server. If the Squeezebox Radio
the $199 retail one works I will buy it.
Thanks

Cosmic21
2010-05-14, 22:43
It's not available from the search I conducted, and I can't access it through my Radio Time presets.

The Specs for the radio list:

* Support for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and WMA formatted Internet radio streams

Hmmm. This is disappointing.

Leo63
2010-05-15, 09:01
I just returned 2 squeeze box booms to Best Buy 3 days ago and returning one Monday to Amazon. The problem is as far as I know is that the Boom will not play AAC without the computer on using Squeezebox server. This defeats the purpose of having the radio. I was hoping the Squeeze box radio would work but apparently according to you it won't. This is a shame because it is just a matter of time when all the stations go to AAC. Europe is already starting to change and here in the US they are also. A real shame.

bpa
2010-05-15, 12:27
The issue is not Radio is unable to play AAC streams - it can play HTTP AAC streams such as those from SomaFM.

The problem is with station which have decided to use Flash players which have the audio stream embedded in Flash. These streams (the format can be AAC or MP3) cannot be played without a special player. These Flash based streams cannot be played by any Internet Radio device not just the Logitech devices. The changeover to Flash based players ios mainly in the US by Clear Channel and Stream The world. Europe based streams still tend to use HTTP and are playable on Radio.

If these streams can be played on an iTouch/iPod/iPhone then there is a hidden URL which can also be used by a SB player to play the stream. This hidden URL is an alternative to the Flash based stream.

andyg
2010-05-15, 14:24
KFI appears to only have an AACplus stream, so will work on Radio/Touch but does require SBS for older players.

bpa
2010-05-15, 15:38
As a test the following URL for KFI works on Radio using MySB

http://kfi-am.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/121/19771/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kfi-am

Leo63
2010-05-16, 09:25
After doing some more investigating, I found out that radios that are using Reciva.com will get the signal without a problem. Logitech uses radiotime.com
It might have something with the licensing agreements that allow one vs the other company to have it or maybe lack of updating. I have no idea.

Paul Webster
2010-05-19, 08:26
It is not a licence issue

See the earlier posts from AndyG (of Logitech) and bpa (of all sorts of internet radio things).

This is the link that RadioTime presents
http://kfi-am.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/121/19771/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kfi-am
and is the same as bpa gave.

AndyG says the SB Radio and Touch can support it natively (without local sever) i.e. Boom does not have the necessary firmware.

However, as a thought ... an AAC+ is supposed to allow playing by non-AAC+ aware devices (it sounds worse - but should work).
So - something is not right. Have been working on trying to get this resolved elsewhere as well (e.g. some devices playing StreamTheWorld AAC+ content).

bpa
2010-05-19, 09:56
However, as a thought ... an AAC+ is supposed to allow playing by non-AAC+ aware devices (it sounds worse - but should work).
So - something is not right. Have been working on trying to get this resolved elsewhere as well (e.g. some devices playing StreamTheWorld AAC+ content).

Not right - if the player does not support AAC+ - an AAC/AAC+ will not play at all. AAC+ is not MP3 or WMA with additions. There are sound quality/encosing option within AAC+ which are used depending on bit rate. In practive, this means above a specific bit rate usually the AAC+ options are not used and the stream is just AAC.

Paul Webster
2010-05-20, 03:53
Not right - if the player does not support AAC+ - an AAC/AAC+ will not play at all. AAC+ is not MP3 or WMA with additions. There are sound quality/encosing option within AAC+ which are used depending on bit rate. In practive, this means above a specific bit rate usually the AAC+ options are not used and the stream is just AAC.

Looks like I should have been clearer in my wording.
I know that AAC+ is not based on WMA or MP3.
by "non AAC+" I was trying to differentiate between something that can play AAC but not aacPlus.
aacPlus was designed to be forward compatible - so that something that is able to play AAC would be able to play aacPlus but without access to the "+" bits (by discarding the ancilliary data area that holds SBR and PS information).
i.e. it would play at a lower quality
(although the Via Licensing pages seem to have ignored that)

Manufacturers that bought AAC license prior to aacPlus existance have to buy a new license to allow them to get the richer content.
http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/AAC_FAQ.cfm?faq=7#7

andyg
2010-05-20, 04:44
Radio and Touch fully support both AAC and AACplus, so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

bpa
2010-05-20, 05:15
The problem is Radiotime is not delivering playable AAC streams when Radio / Touch is connected to mysb.com. If the player is connected to a local SBS then RadioTime delivers an AAC stream.

More generally why can't Mysb behave similar to Reciva portal ( see http://reciva-users.wikispot.org/clearchannel ) and enable playing of Clear Channel stations which now use AAC.

Paul Webster
2010-05-20, 08:45
One of the comments in the thread was about Boom (not Radio or Touch). The devices were returned by the poster to the retailer because of not being able to play particular stuff without local server.

I was simply adding to the confusion by explaining that AAC and aacPlus differences can, in theory, be got around but that in practice it seems to be a problem (for some other devices).

At the time of writing I had not checked to see if Boom could natively play back AAC (as opposed to aacPlus - which is clearly cannot).

andyg
2010-05-20, 08:52
No, Boom does not support AAC.

bpa
2010-05-20, 09:30
The OP then asked about using a Radio but when using mysb.com RadioTime didn't return an AAC stream so the station couldn't play so to the OP it looked like Radio couldn't play AAC either.

ctbarker32
2010-05-20, 09:43
Hi,

I have an alternate KFI stream url which may or may not help some here. It is labeled KFI International Stream - whatever that means:

mms://www.applian.com/special/clearchannel2.php?domain=kfi640.com

-CB

JimInPT
2011-05-03, 13:30
Has anybody discovered any updated info on this issue?

I can access KFI intermittently - this morning I couldn't tune it at all, but about 11am (PST) I was successful tuning it in, then it dropped after about 20 minutes and was lost again. I usually get no error messages, just no audio while the display shows "now playing....." All my other longtime radio presets are working just fine.

I use Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 under WinXP on a network server - it feeds one Classic, two Booms, a single SoftSqueeze and (soon) a Radio.

KFI is always the station I have problems tuning; any insights appreciated as it's also one of my favorites. Thanks.

JimInPT
2011-09-30, 10:14
For those interested in tuning KFI, I can report that installing the beta version of the 7.7 server (7.7.0 r33512) now works with 100% success so far!

Previously, I was lucky to tune in 20% of the time but something has changed in the newest builds so that it's finally reliable. I haven't touched the URL link to the station, just updated the SB server two days ago.

You can find current nightly build here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7

SaharaCez
2011-10-04, 08:28
Have the Logitech Boom, with the server update installed indicated in the previous post. (thanks!)

Seems I still can't access KFI (or, for that matter, San Francisco's KNEW). As they're both Clear Channel, I'm wondering if OPML URLs have changed, or if Clear Channel station streams have become curtailed/blocked. (not sure about the latter, as I can still stream San Diego's KOGO, another Clear station)

Could it be something as simple as resetting the Boom to communicate properly with the new server software update installed on my PC? (I've rebooted the Boom several times). Or have URLs changed?

Suggestions/ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

Cez.

MrRossMan
2011-10-04, 09:30
I'm having the same problem with KFI640 on both my Boomboxes. Signal stop working 10/3/2011 at 9am. Radio says it is connecting but never does.
Works fine on my computer feed and hate to go back to my AM radio.

JimInPT
2011-10-04, 14:10
Sahara/RossMan, here's the URL I'm using (from Home/Favorites/(hover over KFI, choose Edit):

http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s32618&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

That's all one very long URL; make sure you copy the whole thing without the ......... portion. Can't remember how I got this, but I haven't touched this URL in months and it's now working perfectly in the 7.7.0 r33539 build.

Since I started installing 7.7 builds, I've tuned KFI every time; almost never worked previously.

It's working with a SB Classic, two Booms and a Radio, simultaneously and synced.

Hope this helps.

MrRossMan
2011-10-04, 16:21
This maybe the reason the Boombox was discontinued as more and more stations are changing transmission methods.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us to let us know that you're having trouble accessing a stream through TuneIn. The stream that you're trying to access uses a format that's not compatible with your operating system and/or device. You can ask the broadcaster to provide TuneIn with streams that are compatible. We suggest an mp3 stream for digital home products and an AAC stream for mobile users.

Sincerely,

Kyle
TuneIn

SaharaCez
2011-10-04, 17:35
JiminPT,

Thanks for sending the enhanced link to KFI. I'm sorry to report, though, that like my own original link, it's non-responsive too. :-(

For now, KFI (as well as KNEW) remain streamless. :-( :-(

Cez.

toby10
2011-10-05, 03:51
This maybe the reason the Boombox was discontinued as more and more stations are changing transmission methods.

..." The stream that you're trying to access uses a format that's not compatible with your operating system and/or device"...

KFI is now an AAC format stream. Boom can play this AAC format if connected to SBS server on your computer.

MrRossMan
2011-10-05, 09:33
Thank you Toby10,

I thought I had tried the SBS, but guess I did something wrong. Both of my Squeezebox radios are up and broadcasting KFI again.
I believe I was trying to use the TuneIn radio APP and not the local radio station address.

SaharaCez
2011-10-05, 10:43
MrRossMan--

Would you mind sharing the URL you're using for your successful KFI streaming? (Even with my Boom pointing to the SBS on my PC -- now called "Logitech Media Server" on my PC with the latest update -- I'm still not getting the KFI stream to work. It's driving me crazy! :-) )

There's also the possibility my Boom isn't linking properly to SBS on my PC: I'm selecting "Squeezebox Server" on the Boom's root menu (where "SqueezeBox Server" and "MySqueezeBox.com" can be toggled), and it *seems* to be connecting without error messages, but I'm not completely confident the connection to my SBS is set up to channel the AAC stream to my Boom. Is there a diagnostic to check on the success of the link to SBS?

I'm also hypothesizing that from whatever your working KFI URL looks like, I may be able to generate something similar for the KNEW stream too. Oh yes, and KOGO too... I lost that stream this morning! Looks like ClearChannel is switching all their stations over to AAC.

Thanks!
Cez.

MrRossMan
2011-10-05, 11:35
Hi SahraCez,

Yes, a little frustrating trying to reconnect with KFI640, but working now.
The URL the SBS is using:

http://www.kfiam640.com/mediaplayer/?station=KFI-AM&action=listenlive&channel_title=

Note: I first started the SBS on my PC, and manually tuned my Squeezebox using the controls. Selected Internet radio first, Local, lists, and found KFI640 AM on that local list, slected.

The URL above is now displayed on the SBS without me having to have entered it.
Server claims it is sending MP-3 audio after decoding to my Squeezebox.

Hope it works for you too!

SaharaCez
2011-10-05, 13:58
Thanks, MrRossMan! I'll try again tonight when I get home, and report to the forum how it goes... >>keeping my fingers crossed<<

(otherwise, I'm already looking at the newer Squeezebox models on the Logitech site, since there's buzz on the forum that part of the problem with the death of the ClearChannel streaming is that the Boom is an older, non AAC-friendly model)

Thanks, again!

Cez.

JimInPT
2011-10-05, 14:33
Thanks, MrRossMan!(otherwise, I'm already looking at the newer Squeezebox models on the Logitech site, since there's buzz on the forum that part of the problem with the death of the ClearChannel streaming is that the Boom is an older, non AAC-friendly model)

If you like your Boom, don't give up on it!

As mentioned above, I'm tuning in KFI with 100% reliability now, using Logitech Media Server 7.7.0 r33539 running on Windows XP Home on a tiny Atom-powered Fit-PC2 palm-sized HTPC.

Connected to this server I have a SB Classic, two Booms and a Radio - they all work just fine. Perhaps the Boom can't handle the codec if connected directly without the server, but it CAN be made to work.

SaharaCez
2011-10-05, 15:21
Thanks for the words of encouragement, JimInPt -- I'll keep plugging away at it!

Antilope
2011-10-05, 15:41
My Squeezebox radio quit receiveing KFI AM, KSTE AM and KNEW AM on Monday. After reading the suggestion from JimInPT above, I was able to get all three stations working with the method below. My Squeezebox radio receives them standalone without connecting to my computer with this method. (The stations will appear in your FAVORITES folder):

Log onto Mysqueezebox.com (on your computer)

Go to the FAVORITES Tab

"At the top of the page you can manually add Favorites (Title and Link)"

"Add Favorite
Add the URL of an internet radio station, live stream, or audio file below:"

"Title - URL h t t p : //"

For each station I entered the following links:

Use JimInPT's long link, but substitute the "S" numbers below for each station desired:
KFI-640 s32618
KSTE-650 s1209
KNEW-910 s34282

I copied his long link into Windows Notepad, substituted the "S" number and then pasted the altered link into the
form on Mysqueezebox.com.

(I can't post full links because this is my first post).

So it appears the "S" number chooses the radio station. Maybe you could substitute a different "S" number for other stations.

Antilope
2011-10-05, 15:46
Here are the Edited Links I entered into MySqueezeBox.com - FAVORITES page:

KFI-640-s32618
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s32618&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

KSTE-650-s1209
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s1209&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

KNEW-910-s34282
http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s34282&formats=aac,ogg,mp3,wmpro,wma,wmvoice&partnerId=16&serial=fce67573ce00a188bd6d11788b6ae5ca

JimInPT
2011-10-06, 09:20
Congratulations on getting those to work and for posting the links.

FWIW, the KFI (and maybe associated stations as well) stream linking seems to be extremely unstable in some environments. I use the Replay AV8 software at work to tune Internet radio and it has recently started failing to work with KFI as well. For the time being I'm using the "listen live" link from the station's website, but it's very clunky so I'm looking forward to getting it working again in a versatile interface.

micklei8
2011-10-07, 04:23
KFI appears to only have an AACplus stream, so will work on Radio/Touch but does require SBS for older players.

SaharaCez
2011-10-07, 09:35
I finally found a working method:

(1) I made sure my Boom was linked to SqueezeBox Server (=Logitech Media Server) on my PC. (instead of MySqueezeBox.com, as I used to have it)
(2) On the Boom from its root menu, I *manually* initiated a search for KFI by actually entering in the characters "K" "F" "I" using the dial knob.
(3) Once the search successfully found KFI, I pressed the 'next' arrow to launch the station stream.

...and hallelujah, KFI plays!!! (but be forewarned: along with the expected station and programming titles, the screen display is now cluttered with the lengthy AAC stream parameters)

This method seems to work successfully -- FOR NOW. I saved the "found" version of KFI as one of my six preset buttons, and it will launch successfully whenever its assigned preset button is pressed. However, when I attempt to save the found version of KFI as a Favorite, then try to play the Favorite later, the stream will not launch. It also won't launch the found/saved Favorite if I set the Boom's alarm to play it at a set time.

This method of searching and saving ClearChannel stations to the six preset buttons also worked for KNEW and KOGO. And similarly, launch attempts consistently crap out using the saved Favorites methodology.

In spite of my limited success getting KFI and the other CC stations to finally play, I suspect that with no AAC firmware upgrade for the Boom coming, its days as my player of choice are probably numbered and I'll soon have to upgrade to one of the new AAC-friendly Squeezebox models. I just wish Logitech would put out another Boom-like SqueezeBox model with dual speakers, updated input and output ports, decent power.

Cez.

SaharaCez
2011-10-11, 11:52
UPDATE:

After a few days, I'm sorry to report that the method I described above proved unstable (intermittent connectivity, constant rebuffering), and finally stopped working altogether after two days.

Next step for me: I'll either pick up a newer model Squeezebox, or simply connect my Android phone to a decent 2.1 speaker system by way of 3.5mm cable, streaming my preferred radio stations with Android's iheartradio and tunein apps.

-- Cez.

Antilope
2011-10-13, 14:12
Here's another link for KFI AM 640 Los Angeles that works on my Squeezebox Radio:

KFI AM 640 Los Angeles

MrRossMan
2011-10-15, 11:07
I just purchased a bluetooth receiver for my Squeezebox and now can use my Motorola tablet, phone, or computer to listen to my favorite radio stations without the WIFI, non-compatibility issues.
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio is small and priced around $40 - $50. Plugs into the "line-in" jack on the back of your Squeezebox. Range is around 30' for me, and not the range you would expect from WIFI.

ZipSqueeze
2017-10-18, 11:12
Sometime within the past 2 weeks I stopped being able to access KFI from my SqueezeBox Radio. I've been using the same URLs (one from JimInPT with Alpine's mods, another an akamai URL) for the past six years. Poof they're gone. I suspect that iHeart finally got around to closing this last door.

Anyone have a solution? I am NOT running server; for me this is a radio-only issue.

Note: Before reopening a 6yo thread I attempted to search the forums here for new material. And could get no search query to return any positive result.

lssartin
2017-10-18, 13:41
Sometime within the past 2 weeks I stopped being able to access KFI from my SqueezeBox Radio. I've been using the same URLs (one from JimInPT with Alpine's mods, another an akamai URL) for the past six years. Poof they're gone. I suspect that iHeart finally got around to closing this last door.

Anyone have a solution? I am NOT running server; for me this is a radio-only issue.

Note: Before reopening a 6yo thread I attempted to search the forums here for new material. And could get no search query to return any positive result.

I would love a work around also. I have found the podcast is an option but really miss the preset button bringing live radio on for KFI, my most listened to station. Let me know if you find a solution.

mattb4310
2017-10-18, 14:47
There was some discussion in the Squeezebox Radio forum about determining the stream URL for iheartradio stations. Using the approach described in the thread "404 file not found", I was able to derive a URL for KFI-AM. It works as a preset on my SB Radio. No idea how long it will stay valid, but it has been working for a few days now.

ZipSqueeze
2017-10-18, 14:52
I would love a work around also. I have found the podcast is an option but really miss the preset button bringing live radio on for KFI, my most listened to station. Let me know if you find a solution.

I have a URL/solution that will probably work for the next 15 minutes (optimistic I'm not).

http://c8icyelb.prod.playlists.ihrhls.com/177_icy

I spent some extended time trying to resolve this, previously before my post. Now I hit on this "solution" in a matter of a few minutes. I Googled:

kfi los angeles streaming url

which led to two websites:

1. http://www.liveonlineradio.net/usa/kfi-640.htm
2. http://onlineradiobox.com/us/kfiam/?cs=us.kfiam

I found the working URL when I inspected the pages (Chrome, right-click), on both sites. I fully expect this solution to be NOT when I try it in the morning. But maybe it'll work for awhile if there are only two of us tagging the URL. Ssshhh... don't tell anyone...

lssartin
2017-10-19, 12:55
Thanks for the solution, it worked for me today. Hope the link stays up.

john_99
2017-12-16, 13:50
After 7 years of constantly changing station URL's to enable them on my Squeezebox Boom, I finally turned it into a dummy speaker today.

This KFI issue was the last straw. I bought an Echo Dot for $29.99 and now I can listen to any station that's on iHeart, Pandora, Tune-in, etc. Just connected the Dot to the SBB Line-in and now I can tell Alexa what I want to hear. It works great for surfing news stations when they start their ad sessions.

My SBB is now getting a second life.