PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Terminally (?) sick squeezebox 3

SixedUp
2010-05-03, 09:10
Looks like my beloved Logitech SB3 is dying, if not already dead.

It's been a bit temperamental for a while, where if you move it, it seems to turn itself off and then back on. A good look at the power connector showed no problems, so I suspected some sort of bad joint/connection deeper in the unit, but I've been loathe to open it up without good need.

Yesterday may have provided that good need.

I was playing some music at low (digital) volume, 50% on the amp, when the SB3 went "wild". Music changed to static/electronic screaming, and volume went to at least 100%. It was *way* louder than anything I've heard before. By the time I'd turned it off it'd managed to blow a tweeter in one of my speakers :(

I've been running it since (on high digital, low amp volumes) and it's done it again a couple of times, and also when turning it on there has been a steady electronic tone a couple of times too. Completely disconnecting the power has been the only way to "fix" these problems.

The display continues to work fine, and shows the graphic equaliser for what I suspect is the music it should be playing, rather than the noise. Wireless and ethernet & remote control etc all seem fine, right up to the point of failure.

What are my options these days for repair or replacement? A quick read here seems to indicate that Logitech won't even repair these now; this makes me VERY sad, as the VFD was probably the main reason I bought the SB3, and I now use it extensively for information displays. Is it really not possible to get it repaired? If not officially, are there any reputable 3rd parties that can take on this kind of problem, and at what kind of cost?

Failing that, what are the current options for replacement? Looks like the only model in the range with a display is the Touch ... which is LCD, so nowhere near the clarity. Are there any retailers out there with new stock of the VFD model SB3 still?

Thanks
Richard

audiomuze
2010-05-03, 09:16
Have you tried a factory/ xilinx reset of the unit? Sorry to hear that its malfunction has managed to blow a tweeter for you. I guess that's a damned good reason to leave the player's volume at 100% at all times and to use your preamp to control volume -- that way regardless of that the player does, it's already at 100% output and your preamp is at a reasonable level.

SixedUp
2010-05-03, 16:28
Have you tried a factory/ xilinx reset of the unit?
I haven't, but now you've mentioned it, I will try it and see if it helps. I don't hold out a great deal of hope, but it's always worth a try...

Sorry to hear that its malfunction has managed to blow a tweeter for you. I guess that's a damned good reason to leave the player's volume at 100% at all times and to use your preamp to control volume -- that way regardless of that the player does, it's already at 100% output and your preamp is at a reasonable level.
Yes - hindsight is a wonderful thing. My speakers (Kef 101/2 Reference) are over 15 years old, so I suspect they're going to be difficult to repair. I've been thinking of moving to a 5.1 surround setup, but wasn't planning on that kind of expense in the short term. Currently looking like a very expensive mistake indeed.

eq72521
2010-05-04, 10:50
At the risk of being scavengerly, may I ask if this worked? The reason is that while my SB3s are still working OK, one of the IR remotes is slowly dying. If you end up with a dead SB3 and no longer have any use for the remote, I may be interested in purchasing it.

peterw
2010-05-04, 11:10
At the risk of being scavengerly, may I ask if this worked? The reason is that while my SB3s are still working OK, one of the IR remotes is slowly dying.
Slowly dying how? Have you checked to see if the IR LED leads are still intact and well-connected?

eq72521
2010-05-04, 19:55
Slowly dying how? Have you checked to see if the IR LED leads are still intact and well-connected?

I haven't, but the symptoms don't seem to point in that direction. When I first turn it on or come back to it after some time of inactivity, certain buttons from a growing set will just not work. The first button to exhibit the behavior was "down". But after using the other working buttons for a few moments, the non-working buttons will start working again and everything is fine. I don't think it's the SB3 or the server because other remotes that go with other SBs in the house work fine with this one; similarly this one remote has trouble with the other SBs.

I have taken it apart (which was a pain) and tried cleaning/resetting the buttons over the contacts. This didn't really have much of an effect though, or if it did it was very short lived (this was a few months ago).

If you have any other suggestions (or really think it is the IR LED leads that somehow only affect certain buttons during initial use), let me know.

lrossouw
2010-05-04, 20:45
Had the exact same thing happen to me once, except I didn't lose a tweeter. It was the middle of the night though. Had left the amp on.

Pretty sure a factory & Xlinx reset sorted it out.

This was on a unit that had been dropped on to hard floor. It eventually (year or so later) died properly. Also just check your mac address still matches the sticker on the unit. Had a problem with that too.

SixedUp
2010-05-05, 04:59
At the risk of being scavengerly, may I ask if this worked? The reason is that while my SB3s are still working OK, one of the IR remotes is slowly dying. If you end up with a dead SB3 and no longer have any use for the remote, I may be interested in purchasing it.

So far, it's not done it again. But, I've been out the house a lot these last few days, so it's not been used much either. I'll see how it goes, and if things really don't work out then you've first call on the remote.

Richard

SixedUp
2010-05-05, 05:00
Had the exact same thing happen to me once, except I didn't lose a tweeter. It was the middle of the night though. Had left the amp on.

Pretty sure a factory & Xlinx reset sorted it out.

This was on a unit that had been dropped on to hard floor. It eventually (year or so later) died properly. Also just check your mac address still matches the sticker on the unit. Had a problem with that too.

This is really positive information, thanks!
Cheers
Richard

jimzak
2010-05-06, 16:02
Pull the plug!!!!

lrossouw
2010-05-06, 18:15
This is really positive information, thanks!
Cheers
Richard

Btw mine was also sensitive to being moved or light bumps, if that helps the comparison.

JadeMonkee
2010-05-07, 02:41
My squeezebox has a temperamental plug, too.
I just moved my router, which touched the plug, and it rebooted. I then pulled and re-insterted the plug, and... nothing.
No life in my Squuezebox 3.
I'm going to do a full reset (xlinx, too), just as soon as I find out how...

EDIT: After leaving the Squeezebox unplugged for 5 minutes while I checked the forums, coming back and pluggin it in fixed it.
Now, back to Cosmogramma!

Eeyore69
2010-05-08, 13:26
eq72521,

A couple of weeks ago I had my SB3 remote go out. Remembering that the Logitech store sold the remote, although with backlit keys, I went to the site and found that I could not access the Accessories page. So I called the Logitech 800 number thinking that I would order one by phone. I talked to a woman that told me that they no longer were being sold BUT if my remote had stopped working that they would send me a replacement at no charge. And they did. It was not the lighted version but I am more than satisfied with the standard remote. You might give them a call and see what happens; all they can do is tell you that they are not available. And if they want to charge for it, and you do not want to, then just thank them and hang up.

Hope this helps,

Eeyore

Eeyore69
2010-05-08, 13:26
eq72521,

A couple of weeks ago I had my SB3 remote go out. Remembering that the
Logitech store sold the remote, although with backlit keys, I went to
the site and found that I could not access the Accessories page. So I
called the Logitech 800 number thinking that I would order one by
phone. I talked to a woman that told me that they no longer were being
sold BUT if my remote had stopped working that they would send me a
replacement at no charge. And they did. It was not the lighted version
but I am more than satisfied with the standard remote. You might give
them a call and see what happens; all they can do is tell you that they
are not available. And if they want to charge for it, and you do not
want to, then just thank them and hang up.

Hope this helps,

Eeyore

--
Eeyore69
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eeyore69's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=32574
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=78247

eq72521
2010-05-12, 11:42
eq72521,

A couple of weeks ago I had my SB3 remote go out. Remembering that the
Logitech store sold the remote, although with backlit keys, I went to
the site and found that I could not access the Accessories page. So I
called the Logitech 800 number thinking that I would order one by
phone. I talked to a woman that told me that they no longer were being
sold BUT if my remote had stopped working that they would send me a
replacement at no charge. And they did. It was not the lighted version
but I am more than satisfied with the standard remote. You might give
them a call and see what happens; all they can do is tell you that they
are not available. And if they want to charge for it, and you do not
want to, then just thank them and hang up.

Hope this helps,

Eeyore

Thanks much. I just did the same thing and it seems to have worked. Hopefully in a week I'll have a consistently working remote. I first called support and they had me call sales, but sales couldn't actually sell me one, so I was transferred back over to support. Which is strange, but whatever. I'll just be glad to not be pressing buttons over and over in frustration. My much older SB1G remote still works fine, so hopefully this issue, whatever it is, isn't going to end up affecting all remotes at some point.

SixedUp
2010-06-05, 15:04
Just to bring this to a conclusion, my SB3 seems to be working just fine again now. The resets seem to have resolved the problem. Or maybe it was just powering it off and back on as part of doing the resets. Either way, things seem fine again now. And I've locked the volume to 100% so I don't repeat this little exercise!

Good result on my speakers too ... it turns out that despite my speakers being 17 years old, KEF are still able to supply me with a matched pair of replacement (new) tweeters, for a remarkably modest price. Fantastic customer service.

Cheers
Richard