PDA

View Full Version : SBS & iTunes integration on a ReadyNAS

Tradewind25
2010-04-29, 07:24
I have a ReadyNAS NVX on order and am planning how best to use it to (amongst other things) take over Squeezebox Server from my PC. I currently rip CDs via iTunes on my PC and have SBS setup to integrate with iTunes.

I think I am happy with what I need to do to install SBS on the ReadyNAS, and how to transfer my iTunes media library to it. What I would like to know is how well I can integrate iTunes and SBS on the ReadyNAS?

Clearly I will need to continue to rip CDs on my PC, albeit that the audio files can be stored on the NAS. But I believe that iTunes will still keep its library database files (e.g. 'iTunes Library.itl' and 'iTunes Music Library.xml') on the PC.

I guess the questions I would like answered are:
1. Does the ReadyNAS version of SBS include the iTunes tab on its Server Settings?
2. Is it possible to configure iTunes to keep its database files on the NAS? In particular, can 'iTunes Music Library.xml' be on the NAS - since I believe this is an essential data source for the SBS integration process?

yannyb
2010-05-01, 03:16
I've got a readynas duo set-up that I recently added a squeezebox duet and radio to. I was previously using xbmc but decided I wanted rid of the big ugly xbox in my lounge and to get a more usable controller (XBMC is brilliant though!).

I have all my mp3s in a music folder under the media share on my ReadyNAS.

I copied my itunes library files (there are a few - iTunes Library .itl/.xml and the itdb files for extras/genius) into the music folder as well.

The next time I launched itunes I held down option (alt on windows) and pointed itunes to the new library location. (from memory I had to remove the music tracks and rescan in the music from the new location - it was a long time ago that I did this part)

this basically means that your music and itunes library are now held on your NAS which means SBS can see them both.

When you set-up squeezebox server you need to activate the itunes plugin and then go to the settings page for this. you need to :

check Use iTunes
edit the ignored playlists section (add in the names of playlists you want ignored - don't make the mistake I made by mistakenly removing the 'music' playlist - this is effectively one huge playlists of all your songs that takes ages to scan!)
point it to your library location
Point it to where your media is (my music folder)
if you want, set a prefix for your imported itunes playlists

Additionally, you need to set how long SBS waits before it rescans your itunes library after it changes. I've left mine at the default of 3600 seconds for the meantime.

When you click apply the scanner will start and a few minuted later you'll be able to see progress on the information page.

What I found wasn't working was saving playlists I created on my squeezebox - they appeared to save but basically went into a black hole. I appear to have fixed this by going to the Basic Settings page and entering a location for playlists (I set it to /media/Music/Playlists). They now seem to be working fine!

I've only had this setup for a week or two so I'm sure I'll find some oddities over time but so far so good.

I've attached some screenshots of my settings.

Cheers

meant to say, the itunes library scan seems much quicker than the built in one so that is an another benefit of doing it this way.

Tradewind25
2010-05-01, 03:43
Hi Yannyb

Many thanks for your detailed response.

The next time I launched itunes I held down option (alt on windows) and pointed itunes to the new library location. (from memory I had to remove the music tracks and rescan in the music from the new location - it was a long time ago that I did this part)

I guess I have a couple of questions:
1. Could you expand on how you configured iTunes to now expect to find its database files on your ReadyNAS media share?
2. Having reconfigured things in this way, are you still able to use iTunes to successfully rip a CD and store the output in your iTunes library?

Geoff

yannyb
2010-05-01, 16:11
No problem!

Make sure you are holding down option (on mac) or alt (on windows) when you start iTunes. This will bring up a prompt to let you choose where your iTunes library file is. Browse to your nas folder where you copied this to and select it. iTunes will now load using this library file.

As mentioned before, you may have to remove your music and rescan it (can't rememberas I did this a while ago).

Regardng ripping, you need to alter the iTunes settings so it rips to the music folder on your nas.

That should be you soreted.

Hope this helps

cheers

Tradewind25
2010-05-01, 16:20
I'm running iTunes 9 under Windows 7. If I hold down the ALT key whilst starting itunes then the program just starts normally - no option to change library file location.

yannyb
2010-05-02, 04:16
Sorry, it might be shift that you hold down instead of alt. If that doesn't work give ctrl a go or failing that google should help out!

I've just been sorting out a load of music tags. If you have some compilation albums it is worth marking them as compilations in iTunes and setting the option in SBS to group cmpilations. This helps keep your artists view tidier and easier to browse through.

This is personal prefernce though.

Enjoy!

Tradewind25
2010-05-04, 15:05
Hi

Sorry for the delay. I was trying all sorts of combinations but nothing seemed to work. Finally I sussed it...
...need to hold down the Shift key whilst starting iTunes AND continue to hold it down until the Windows dialog appears and allows you to choose a library location. (It takes about 10 secs for iTunes to open on my PC so I had to hold Shift for quite a while.)

Thanks again for your help.

Tradewind25
2010-05-29, 07:53
After some delays, I now have Squeezebox Server installed on my ReadyNAS NVX. I have also reconfigured iTunes such that all its files are on the NAS. Itunes works fine from my PC - accessing its files from the ReadyNAS.

Now, in S/S I have:
a) enabled the iTunes Integration plugin
b) pointed it to the iTunes library and media files.
When I rescan, S/S runs through the "iTunes Import" section of the scan and identifies the same number of tracks that iTunes sees. However, at the end of the scan NO tracks have actually been imported. My S/S library is totally empty!

Any idea what is going on here??

colincliff
2010-05-29, 08:26
Working iTunes integration does indeed seem to be a black art. Here are the settings I used to get it all working

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3599/squeezebox1.png (http://img245.imageshack.us/i/squeezebox1.png/)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3399/squeezebox2.png (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/squeezebox2.png/)

yannyb
2010-05-29, 10:24
hmm, not sure why that would be.

The total number of tracks may be read from the itunes xml as opposed from the actual scanning of files.

Maybe check that you have not got all your songs unchecked in itunes?

also, I wonder if your tags are in a bad shape (it would be bizarre for your whole collection to be duff).

Maybe try looking at some in MP3Tag checking id3v1 & 2 tags. I recently used media monkey to totally remove all id3v1 tags in my library having made sure the v2 ones were in order) as they seemed to be causing problems with some tracks in SBS.

Good luck!

Tradewind25
2010-06-01, 06:36
Apologies for the delay - just back after being away for a few days.

This morning I reconsidered the directory structure I was using on the NAS. As a result I reimported all my music files to a new folder. iTunes rebuilt its library files and now iTunes integration in S/S works. ????
...a black art indeed!

A small issue:
- iTunes reports that it has 3090 tracks
- the S/S scan shows 3090 in its "iTunes Import" section
- however, I have finished up with just 3065 tracks in S/S

mjm2705
2010-08-16, 14:25
I just got a ReadyNAS Duo after buying an iMac and getting rid of my PC / Server. I had got to the point where I assumed iTunes integration on the NAS was a non-strater and you've just cheered me right up.

So far I've move my iTunes folder to the NAS and pointed iTunes to it ... no probs.

Then after enabling iTunes in SBS and pointing to the .xml file on the NAS I got the same issue as above where the scan would show my 23,000 files but the SB would show nothing :-(

I'm assuming I need to rebuild my iTunes .xml so have to delete all entries from iTunes and re-add the files ... JUST IN CASE ... I'm now backing up said 23,000 files before I wipe iTunes :-)

Finder on Mac says 3 hours to go so I'll wait til tomorrow before cleaning out iTunes and re-adding the files.

I'll be going to bed with a smile on my face though knowing its possible ... is that pathetic ???!!!

mjm2705
2010-08-18, 00:25
Yep, that all works fine !!!

Only minor niggle now is that when I have to reboot the iMac for a software update then it tells me that it can't find the iTunes lib and I have to manually navigate to the file on the NAS.

I suspect this is because iTunes loads faster that the ReadyNAS can mount the share so no big deal.

Also, I guess this was probably due to iTunes being open when the iMac rebooted hence it auto strtaing on re-boot? Would ensuring it was closed on start up still make iTunes look for its library in the background on start up?

I'm a Mac newbie ... have patience!

matg
2010-10-27, 01:53
I had SBS running perfectly with my iTunes on my NVX. Then disaster struck and I had to to a factory reset to the NAS and start again.

Now I just cannot get SBS to see the iTunes playlists. However I think I know why.

The iTunes XML file has paths to the .mp3;s as like this

file://localhost/Volumes/media/iTunes......whatever

So when SBS reads the XML it obviously can't find file://localhost/Volumes/media/

So I removed all of the file://localhost/Volumes/ references and sure enough SBS saw the playlists :)

Only problem is when I reopen iTunes it updates the XML and puts file://localhost/Volumes back in!

How can I stop this? My only though is to make a duplicate of teh Itunes Library.xml correct the path and get SBS to use it. But this means any time I add new music I will have to go through this process.

I worked before but not now!

pski
2010-10-27, 15:43
I had SBS running perfectly with my iTunes on my NVX. Then disaster struck and I had to to a factory reset to the NAS and start again.

Now I just cannot get SBS to see the iTunes playlists. However I think I know why.

The iTunes XML file has paths to the .mp3;s as like this

file://localhost/Volumes/media/iTunes......whatever

So when SBS reads the XML it obviously can't find file://localhost/Volumes/media/

So I removed all of the file://localhost/Volumes/ references and sure enough SBS saw the playlists :)

Only problem is when I reopen iTunes it updates the XML and puts file://localhost/Volumes back in!

How can I stop this? My only though is to make a duplicate of teh Itunes Library.xml correct the path and get SBS to use it. But this means any time I add new music I will have to go through this process.

I worked before but not now!

Create a new iTunes library (xml and all) by holding the shift key while starting iTunes.

P

jhaye
2011-01-29, 04:45
Hi,

I'm experiencing similar issues as some people already reported, while I see that others are succesful in making it working.

My setup is:
iTunes 10.1.1 running on Win7
ReadyNAS DUO running RAIDiator 4.1.7
SqueezeBox server 7.5.3 for sparc-readynas platform running on my ReadyNAS
iTUNES plugin v1.0 running on my ReadyNAS

My itunes music folder is on my NAS, in /Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes. The iTunes library has been created from scratch on my NAS with not more than 4 tracks, for rapid test purpose.

My SBS ReadyNas config is as below. I have included 2 snapshots, respectively:
- Basic settings tab
- iTunes settings tab (which BTW includes all iTunes tracks, even those unchecked if any)

I'm also joining 2 results snapshots, respectively:
- iTunes list scan process, showing that 4 tracks are indeed properly discovered.
- Scan result snapshot, indicating that ZERO tracks have been included.

I have enabled debug mode for iTunes plugin (in "Advanced" tab from SBS web GUI), and what I see in scanner log file for each song is that there seems to be a path normalization problem:

If my iTunes (running on my PC) points to "\\NAS-NIDERAND\Multimedia\MUSIC\iTunes" then I get scan log messages like
Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Common::normalize_location (363) Normalized file://localhost//NAS-NIDERAND/Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/...mp3 to file:////NAS-NIDERAND/Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/...mp3

If my iTunes (running on my PC still) points to a connected network drive like "X:\MUSIC\iTunes" (where X is mounted as \\NAS-NIDERAND\Multimedia) then I get scan log messages like
Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Common::normalize_location (363) Normalized file://localhost/X:/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/...mp3 to file:///X:/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/...mp3

In both cases, this is followed by a "file not found" result as the normalized file names are still not understandable for the NAS :-(

Based on my findings, I'm EXTREMELY interested how the working setups are looking like...

Many thanks for your help, as I'm getting desperate :-(

jhaye
2011-02-02, 00:05
For precision about the issue, after closer troubleshooting, Considering that my iTunes music library is located on my NAS at
\\NAS-NIDERAND\Multimedia\MUSIC\iTunes:

1. If my iTunes library if built in such a way that iTunes points to
X:\MUSIC\iTunes\iTunes Media (where X:\ is the mounted point to \\NAS-NIDERAND\Multimedia), then the scan log (with iTunes plugin in debug mode) gives me the following:

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::startScan (154) Parsing file: /Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleCharElement (526) Found the music folder: file://localhost/X:/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleEndElement (589) Starting track parsing

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Common::normalize_location (363) Normalized file://localhost/X:/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/AC_DC/Back%20In%20Black/01%20Hells%20Bells.mp3 to file:///X:/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/AC_DC/Back%20In%20Black/01%20Hells%20Bells.mp3

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleCharElement (567) NOT pushing 185 on to list, it's missing (or disabled).

==> In fact, it looks like the "normalized" location is not understandable for the NAS, thus it says it can't find the file.

2. If my iTunes library if built in such a way that iTunes points directly to \\NAS-NIDERAND\Multimedia\MUSIC\iTunes\iTunes Media (thus with no letter drive as a mounted point), then the scan log (with iTunes plugin in debug mode) gives me the following:

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::startScan (154) Parsing file: /Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleCharElement (526) Found the music folder: file://localhost//NAS-NIDERAND/Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleEndElement (589) Starting track parsing

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Common::normalize_location (363) Normalized file://localhost//NAS-NIDERAND/Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/AC_DC/Back%20In%20Black/01%20Hells%20Bells.mp3 to file:////NAS-NIDERAND/Multimedia/MUSIC/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/AC_DC/Back%20In%20Black/01%20Hells%20Bells.mp3

Slim::Plugin::iTunes::Importer::handleCharElement (567) NOT pushing 185 on to list, it's missing (or disabled).

==> Thus similarly to case (1), it looks like the "normalized" location is not understandable for the NAS, thus it says it can't find the file either :-(

virgiliomi
2011-02-02, 05:18
I'm convinced that there is no way to make it work between Windows and a NAS. Drive letters and UNC paths just confuse anything non-Windows (the NAS in this case). You would need to have the iTunes XML file be run through something to change the path, or maybe have an option added to SBS to convert the Windows path to the correct Linux path?

From a Mac to a (Linux-based) NAS it's much easier to make happen... through the use of directories and symbolic links, you can end up creating the same path on both your Mac and your NAS.

richymtfc
2011-02-20, 04:06
To move your library in iTunes, you should never just copy the library as that will never work. I have my laptops iTunes, and Squeezebox talking to my Nas for their music.

To move it, map your NAS as a network drive, so that on your computer your Nas has a drive letter.

e.g My Computer -> Map Network Drive.

then follow the steps in the following link to move your library. It can take a while. My large library took around 24 hours, but it means your paths are all correct, and you even get to keep your playcounts, and last played.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364

lizelshove
2011-08-23, 06:27
So does anyone have a solution as to the correct steps and setup? It's driving me crazy for a month now. It's getting from bad to worse when trying to flip through different settings.

Anyone? :-)