PDA

View Full Version : Still using Slimserver 6.2.1 - What am i missing?

zano65
2010-04-26, 04:13
Hello,
my server crashed a few days ago and i reinstalled Slimserver 6.2.1. It works well, i don't use other options like radio because my adsl speed is low, so why update?
Jean

pippin
2010-04-26, 04:29
Controller, Touch, Radio, iPeng, SqueezeCommander,...

maggior
2010-04-26, 07:48
...services like Slacker, last.fm.

snarlydwarf
2010-04-26, 07:51
plugins like Erland's...

(I think those date to around 6.5 or so.)

maggior
2010-04-26, 07:54
...services like Slacker, last.fm.

konut
2010-04-26, 09:21
Don't mean to hijack the thread but.....do any of the plugins, services, or add ons actually improve the SOUND QUALITY? I'm still running 6.5.4 and think it sounds great. STAY SLIM!

iPhone
2010-04-26, 10:00
Don't mean to hijack the thread but.....do any of the plugins, services, or add ons actually improve the SOUND QUALITY? I'm still running 6.5.4 and think it sounds great. STAY SLIM!

If you buy a Touch, then yes it improves the sound quality and requires SBS 7.5. Did that answer your question?

Mnyb
2010-04-26, 10:14
Proper transcoding of hirez mtrl to to old players like SB3 .

Using Squeezeplay on the desktop .

Improved player sync algorithm.

A nicer default web-UI , Yes I prefer it over the other skins.

konut
2010-04-26, 10:16
Partially. I run a Red Wine moddified SB3. Batteries, BNC jack, select grade AKM DAC, and disabled headphone jack are the main differences from the stock SB3. Also running into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC. I guess the only way I'll be able to tell whether the Touch is better is to buy one and run it in the stand alone mode.

erland
2010-04-26, 10:45
Hello,
my server crashed a few days ago and i reinstalled Slimserver 6.2.1. It works well, i don't use other options like radio because my adsl speed is low, so why update?

Besides the updated web interface I think most news are either related to support for new hardware or online services/radio or third party plugins.

From a music listening perspective on an old device (SB3 or earlier) controlled with a IR remote, I'm not sure there are any big changes unless you want to use online services or third party plugins which requires a newer version.

mutant_matt
2010-04-27, 11:10
The big improvement (and only noticeable improvement) for me when going to my current 6.3.3 from 6.3.2 (using only SB2s and an SB3), was the better syncing between devices (in that, rather than restarting the current track when you power on another device, that is set to sync, it does it's best attempt mid-track (which in itself is near perfect), and then does a "proper" sync at the start of the following track).

This IMHO was worth upgrading for, for better usability and better WAF ;) :)

Not sure when hi-rez (sox) transcoding was introduced, but it's in 6.3.3, and I'm starting to use it now, which is a nice to have, until I upgrade to a Touch or similar, in the future.

Matt :)

epoch1970
2010-04-27, 11:40
I think alarms came with the Boom, circa 7.2 (?) I use alarms throughout the week (not only in the morning).
The CLI (or even Json) is nice too, if you want to automate stuff. I use power management on the music server; the CLI and the presence of mySB.com on the internet made that possible.