PDA

View Full Version : Is upcoming release 7.6 all about improving performance?

Gazjam
2010-04-26, 03:06
as well as a few bugfixes?

I tried 7.6 on my low power server and found it to be faster, especially when scanning, but it broke some plugins so went back to 7.5.

I also tried plugging my external udb drive into the Touch directly, and tried running the internal server without a computer.
I found it to be quite slow actually, especially with playlists...

My Library has 36,000 odd tracks on it....could this havebeen a factor?
Is there a recommended limit?

BUT...
I'm asking the question here (rather than on Touch forum), as Im interested if its expected Release 7.6 will speed up things for TinySC as well as the Web Interface/ general usage.

Thanks.

Bill50x
2010-04-26, 07:50
My Library has 36,000 odd tracks on it....could this havebeen a factor?
Is there a recommended limit?
I hope not. I am running 7.5.1 and have +178.000 tracks on +16.000 albums and really hope it will work with the future versions.

/ B

slate
2010-04-26, 09:05
My music collection is only 8000+ tracks so I probably doesn't see all the slowness in the corners.

About the playlist, I have noticed several threads about a default limit has been imposed on playlist(500). I assume that this new default limit is because of limitations from the Touch.

iPhone
2010-04-26, 10:03
I have a huge library and scans and caching have improved with the current Beta, which is what the product 7.6 will come from. I think things are moving in the correct direction. When I think of scan times with Slim Server and my large CD collection, I am very glad for the work and direction things are moving in.

Mnyb
2010-04-26, 10:26
The server have no hard limit on the how many songs you can have.
But if I had 180000 songs I would have the server hardware to deal with it.
Scan and search would be interesting.

I do think 180000 songs on an USB drive directly on to the Touch will test your patience ;) Besides they won't fit on one 2tb drive unless they all are mp3's .

The limit is the performance what can you accept ? A fast server is.. faster :)

If you are using the Touch as server they don't recommend you to have more than 2 additional players (totally 3 players), because of the limited performance, again this is a soft limit you can probably hook up more.

With servers running on PC's I have seen users here report that they have >14 hardware players connected or similar ? I think it's only server performance that is the limit.

audiomuze
2010-04-27, 01:41
I hope not. I am running 7.5.1 and have +178.000 tracks on +16.000 albums and really hope it will work with the future versions.

/ B

Where did you find the time to rip all that, let alone tag it? I won't even ask about listening.

pippin
2010-04-27, 03:23
BUT...
I'm asking the question here (rather than on Touch forum), as Im interested if its expected Release 7.6 will speed up things for TinySC as well as the Web Interface/ general usage.

No. 7.6 is a "big" version of TinySC, most of the optimizations that go into 7.6 are already implemented in TinySC.

Bill50x
2010-04-27, 03:25
Where did you find the time to rip all that, let alone tag it? I won't even ask about listening.
I havenīt ripped them all, rather the less portion actually... I try to get all the (official) albums from the artists I like, even if I just bought a few. I also dl unfamiliar artists with the intention to listen more careful later. At the moment I sort out what I do not like (and concentrate on flacs) and hopefully I will get a lot lesser albums in the end.

Tagging is a problem as there seems to be different "standards" (rather level of lazynezz or maybe lack of experience). The ones I rip myself do get the right tagging during the rip. On the other hand I usually look for specific artist as folders and this works fine.

/ B

hungarianhc
2010-04-27, 08:18
I hope 7.6 is all about QA and bug fixing. I know that SBS is supported on a plethora of platforms, but I really think there needs to be better regression testing. While things slowly improve, many bugs go unfixed and stay in the actual builds. Like 7.5 has all these issues in the "final" release of it right now (check the 7.5 forums). I just want my automatic scanner to work :-)

JJZolx
2010-05-02, 22:30
I would say, no, it's not about performance improvements, although there has been a lot of optimization work done. It's mostly just the evolution of the server, where work done for the embedded server in the Squeeebox Touch is being merged into the main server. The optimizations and the move back to SQLite as the default database does make scanning faster and it will make running the server more feasible on very low powered server platforms, but I think overall performance is pretty much the same for the typical server installation done on a PC.

If additional optimizations were done, such as for the web interface, then maybe we could say that performance improvements are the main focus of 7.6. If 1/2 the amount of optimization was done for the web interface as was done trying to shoehorn a Squeezebox Server into the Touch, then it would be a completely different experience.

bluegaspode
2010-05-02, 23:05
So actually noone said yet what 7.6 is all about or did I miss something ?

aubuti
2010-05-04, 19:03
So actually noone said yet what 7.6 is all about or did I miss something ?
I think pippin and Jim covered it. As far as I can tell, 7.6 is largely about bringing in SQLite as the database, though MySQL still an option. The Touch's server is already running SQLite, with no option for MySQL. For many (most?) users the change to SQLite will speed up scanning and may improve the responsiveness of the web ui. SBS will also work better on resource-constrained platforms like NASs. Besides that, 7.6 will also have bugfixes.

Unfortunately there seems to be a big hole in SBS roadmap (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SoftwareRoadmap[/url) where 7.6 should be.

Mnyb
2010-05-04, 21:36
Can someone who has both MySQL and SQlite working in 7.6.

Check on how it handles large playlists especially if Touch is the player.

For some reason MySQL in 7.6 seems broken, I have a nagging suspission that for example shuffling large playlists gets slower with SQlite , but as I cant compare I don't really know.