PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VortexBox instead of a laptop

tufana
2010-04-22, 01:32
Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server on a laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and a Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .

garym
2010-04-22, 04:37
Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server on a laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and a Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .

I assume you mean the vortexbox appliance (one can also just simply install the vortexbox software on your own computer). But yes, either way, Squeezeboxserver will run on Vortexbox. And once this is running, you do NOT need your laptop running to play your own music or stream internet music.

tufana
2010-04-22, 05:27
Thx for the quick reply ! AS I have never used a Linux appliance would that create a lot of trouble for me ? The User Interface and the support ?

Ron Olsen
2010-04-22, 06:28
VortexBox is controlled from a browser running on another computer. This user interface requires no Linux knowledge.

The VortexBox forum is available for support: http://vortexbox.org/forum

iPhone
2010-04-22, 06:45
As I have never used a Linux appliance would that create a lot of trouble for me ? The User Interface and the support ?

If you want an out of the box computer running SBS, then the Vortexbox Appliance is what you are looking for. It has SBS pre-installed and only needs to have your already ripped files transfered over. It is also a ripper for any new or as of yet ripped CDs. It is as simple as putting a CD in the Vortexbox. It does everything else after that.

One does not have to know linux to use the Vortexbox appliance and one can talk to the box from any other PC on your network through the Web Interface.

If you have an old PC and don't mind wiping the drive, you can download a copy of Vortexbox and put it on that PC to see if you like it.

Patricia P
2010-04-26, 11:52
As a novice linux user I found the support of the Vortexbox community wonderful. The vortexbox software makes a computer a painless way of automatically managing your music.
I love the how easy it was to fill my hard drive with 70GB of my favourite music already, and the music sounds better than my own efforts in ripping music using a powerful vista pc.

tufana
2010-04-27, 06:13
Thx a lot :)