PDA

View Full Version : Iphone

poclar
2010-04-21, 04:48
I recently purchased an Iphone, i have been trawling the forum to see if there was anything available so the iphone can play my music library from squeezecenter, i saw Ipeng but that seems to only control the players themselves, i did see a couple of articles where a couple of users are streaming to their Iphone's the only thing they never say how they achieved it, as a last attempt does anyone know if you can stream to the Iphone if so how?

Any help greatly appreciated

P

pippin
2010-04-21, 05:05
You are right, iPeng currently can't do that (next release will).

There are actually three ways to do this right now:

1. There are two other Apps on the App Store: SqueezeMobile and SqueezePod. Both have limited UI but play. SqueezeMobile uses the stream.mp3 stream so needs a server that can transcode, SqueezePod acts like a Squeezebox Player.
2. You can open http://<your server>:9000/stream.mp3 in Safari on your iPhone. This will open QuickTime and you can then Quit Safari and control that stream as a player through e.g. iPeng. QuickTime will play in the background.
3. You can use the older iPeng PLUGIN (not the App). It provides a web skin for Squeezebox Server and does habe some basic playback capability.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-webapp-for-squeezecenter/

poclar
2010-04-21, 08:24
Thanks for you hel, i'll try these and keep an eye out for the new release

P

JonWill
2010-04-22, 02:21
I've just tried what you suggest, and I can see the stream in iPeng, but it won't play anything. Any thoguhts? Alternatively, how long before the next version of iPeng is available, so I don't have to do it this way?!!

Thanks,

Jon

pippin
2010-04-22, 02:31
I've just tried what you suggest, and I can see the stream in iPeng, but it won't play anything. Any thoguhts? Alternatively, how long before the next version of iPeng is available, so I don't have to do it this way?!!

Have you selected the stream as a player and then queued up something?
Volume on iPhone is set (you can't control it from iPeng)?

I don't make any predictions about timing anymore, sorry.

JonWill
2010-04-22, 02:48
I select the stream (called, for some reason "Mozilla from <IP address>"), pull up a track into the playlist, but then cannot press play ...

pippin
2010-04-22, 04:00
I select the stream (called, for some reason "Mozilla from <IP address>"), pull up a track into the playlist, but then cannot press play ...

Hm. Does your server support transcoding?
Did you press play in QuickTime when you opened the stream?

JonWill
2010-04-22, 06:28
As far as I can tell it suppots transcoding... and I do press play on Quick time.

Hmmm... perhaps I'll have to wait for you to wave your magic with iPeng...

JeffHart
2010-04-22, 13:44
After you've queued up your music, go back to Safari - if your have the large QuickTime logo center screen, press Done in the upper left and it should bring up the QuickTime player - play button center screen and small QuickTime logo bottom right.

Hit the play button and it should start streaming.

For some reason, pressing the play button when the large QuickTime logo is center screen isn't working.

TurnipMan
2010-04-22, 14:44
For stream.mp3 to work you will need lame.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin.

Also I believe you can get at your music on an iPhone by installing subsonic on your server and an app from the app store on your phone. Can't remember what the app is though.

Tom

iPhone
2010-04-22, 15:02
I have used SqueezeMobile. It has worked for me. It lets me see my library when buying new CDs to make sure I don't buy one I already have and to listen to something I don't have on the 32GB 3Gs iPhone already.

JonWill
2010-04-23, 00:23
For stream.mp3 to work you will need lame.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin.

Tom

This appears to be pointing me in the right direction!:)

As I have SBS running on a NAS, I don't seem to have the local folder you refer to. However on my NAS I have \\Squeezecenter\Bin which does not contain lame.exe. (i) should it? and (ii) where do I get it from?!?

Thanks for the help ...

pippin
2010-04-23, 00:27
It won't run. Lame.exe is for Windows only.

That's where I was referring to when I asked about transcoding. Unless you have some exceptionally powerful NAS it will not be able to transcode.

JonWill
2010-04-23, 00:30
It won't run. Lame.exe is for Windows only.

That's where I was referring to when I asked about transcoding. Unless you have some exceptionally powerful NAS it will not be able to transcode.

I'm learning a lot about client server operations here! ANd now that I've established its impossible, I can get on with some work :)

Does this mean (he asked in a speculative way) that your future version of iPeng will not be able to act as a SB if I run SBS on a NAS?

pippin
2010-04-23, 01:18
I'm learning a lot about client server operations here! ANd now that I've established its impossible, I can get on with some work :)

Does this mean (he asked in a speculative way) that your future version of iPeng will not be able to act as a SB if I run SBS on a NAS?

It will work, but only with formats that are supported by iPhone or iPeng (mp3, AAC and probably FLAC to begin with, not sure, et about ALAC) and it will not work through cellular.

JonWill
2010-04-23, 01:23
That sounds perfect - I'll just sit bak and wait!

JayLaFunk
2010-04-23, 03:25
I have all my music on my NAS with Squeezecenter directed to the music folder, I use iPeng for my players and I use Media Link Player Lite for streaming my music to my iPod Touch, works OK until Pippin's next update, don't know if that's what your after...

Jay

JonWill
2010-04-23, 03:34
Not really - what I am after is something tht allows my iPhone to act as another Squeezebox, so I can have music synchronised in a third room. I can achieve this by setting up my laptop, but that's a bit of hassle compared with using a (potential) iPhone app.

Obviously the other solution is to buy another Squeezebox. However, I have to feed the wife and children occasionally ...

danull
2010-04-23, 09:40
It will work, but only with formats that are supported by iPhone or iPeng (mp3, AAC and probably FLAC to begin with, not sure, et about ALAC) and it will not work through cellular.

Oh so the future version of iPeng that can play off server directly will not support WMA because iPhone doesn't? I guess it makes sense but I hadn't considered that...all my songs are ripped in WMA...ack!

pippin
2010-04-23, 10:23
Not without transcoding.