PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the machine

el_chupacabra
2010-04-20, 00:00
When I press the Pause button on my Squeezebox, sometimes it will un-pause itself eventually. Sometimes if I power it off it will start playing again by itself. I'm running the server on an old G4 Powerbook.

This is pretty irritating because it means that when I for example leave the house I have to power off not only the SB but also the stereo. So I'm pressing two buttons instead of one, which really stresses me out because it runs counter to my compulsive minimalism.

Is my Squeezebox haunted? Where can I find an exorcist specializing in Squeezeboxen?

Phil Leigh
2010-04-20, 00:09
When I press the Pause button on my Squeezebox, sometimes it will un-pause itself eventually. Sometimes if I power it off it will start playing again by itself. I'm running the server on an old G4 Powerbook.

This is pretty irritating because it means that when I for example leave the house I have to power off not only the SB but also the stereo. So I'm pressing two buttons instead of one, which really stresses me out because it runs counter to my compulsive minimalism.

Is my Squeezebox haunted? Where can I find an exorcist specializing in Squeezeboxen?

Why don't you just turn off only the stereo instead? :-)

What sort of SB do you have?

Chunkywizard
2010-04-20, 00:49
I had this today, first time I have ever seen it. It was on my Boom. The screensaver remained paused (the progress bar didn't change) but the music started playing. I am running 7.5.1-r30663. After a while (and stabbing pause and play buttons) the server restarted.

I upgraded as I had a bug on 7.5.0 final which mean when I paused a track the server would reboot. It seems it could be a variation on that bug.

HTH

CW

bernt
2010-04-20, 02:48
Had this on my SB3. Replaced my Netgear WiFi router with a Linksys. Exorcism successful.

Chunkywizard
2010-04-20, 03:10
In addition, my Boom is connected wirelessly to my Netgear DG834G. Tried to replicate and failed miserably. Sounds like an intermittent glitch.

CW

Craig
2010-04-20, 13:18
I've been having this problem with pause too, as if the button is being read twice. It's only happened since I put 7.5 on, nothing else has changed.

Craig

Brian Ritchie
2010-04-20, 17:18
Mine had a habit of doing this too: I'd pause the 'box to watch the, er, box (telly), and notice sometime later that the Squeeze had started playing again all by itself. (I'd switched amp inputs to the telly so couldn't hear the Squeeze, but it was annoying as it meant I'd lost my place.)

It wasn't the TV remote triggering it. It seemed to happen most when I had players sync'd.

My eventual workaround was to always press and hold Pause so that the player(s) entered the Stopped state; they don't seem to come back out of that by themselves (though this also means I've lost my place in the current track).

I haven't seen it happen for ages, but now I'm in the habit of stopping rather than pausing when I know I'll be listening to other things for a while.

-- Brian

Mnyb
2010-04-20, 17:22
This is an old bug, it's rare but it can happen use stop instead (long press on pause) if your done playing for a while.

This sudden unpause has been with us for years.

el_chupacabra
2010-04-21, 00:08
Ooh thanks, I didn't know about long-pause!

Craig
2010-04-21, 01:20
I'm aware of the old long pause bug but I've not had that for ages. What I'm seeing is that if I press pause on the remote, the player pauses then immediately un-pauses as if I'd pressed the button twice.

Craig