PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox classic rebuffering flac files every 6 seconds



Zoo56
2010-04-18, 01:22
I've been using a Squeezebox classic for a long time without any problems, but a couple of days ago I started to have serious issues with playing flac files. The Squeezebox classic is rebuffering Flac files every 6 seconds.

I have no issues with internet radio or mp3 files. The Squeezebox has a wired connection to a Windows 7 PC (Acer X3200).

I also own a Squeezebox radio. This has a wireless(!) connection and has absolutely no issues with playing the same flac files.

Yesterday I installed the latest Squeezebox server on my Windows 7 laptop and connected the Squeezebox classic to the laptop. In this case there were no issues playing flac files on the Squeezebox.

Conclusion : there must be something wrong with the configuration on my Windows 7 PC, but I can't find out what this should be. I already reinstalled the Squeezebox server software, but this didn't solve the problem. There was a Windows update installed and a McAfee update, but I can't imagine that this is the cause for the problems.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

commuteman
2010-04-21, 19:14
I have 7.5.0 running on Vista 32-bit feeding an SB Classic. I think the update from 7.4.2 happened around 4/7. I'm pretty sure I have used the SB since then, but I can't swear to it...

It's been running fine for years, but yesterday it started rebuffering every 4-6 seconds. I mostly play Apple Lossless files ripped from my CDs, but I'm seeing the same result with iTunes purchased files. CPU utilization on the server is running at 2-10%.

The SB is usually connected via a wireless router, but I switched it to a direct Ethernet connection to eliminate any wireless issues. No change.

Anyone else seeing this?

Peter

commuteman
2010-04-21, 20:15
I tried connecting to another PC that is also running 7.5.0 and it works fine.

The difference is that my Vista PC's McAfee virus software updated itself to V10.0 (a totally new looking app) on 4/17. I'm thinking that this is the culprit..

Peter

lrossouw
2010-04-22, 00:39
McAfee has been known to repeatedly scan the mysql database files of the server. You need to set up some for of exclusion for those files. Search the forums. I can't remember what or where.

EDIT: See these two links:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47291&highlight=mcafee
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56785&highlight=mcafee

commuteman
2010-04-22, 11:35
Uninstalled 7.5 and the McAfee Total Protection Suite. Reinstalled 7.5, rescanned everything and it works fine. I'm about to reinstall the McAfee stuff....

Peter

commuteman
2010-04-22, 12:31
I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection Suite 10.0, and the problem reappeared immediately. Turning off the firewall or the on demand scanning feature has no effect.

Now I'm off to the McAfee site to find an answer....

Peter

Phil Leigh
2010-04-24, 09:45
I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection Suite 10.0, and the problem reappeared immediately. Turning off the firewall or the on demand scanning feature has no effect.

Now I'm off to the McAfee site to find an answer....

Peter

Well, how about getting a good AV package... like MSE (free) AVG (Free) etc etc..